• Latest reply 7 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1374 (resized).JPG
042e53cb6a409f6ec890a00240d1b1ed02b04973 (resized).jpg

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Hey guys

I am thinking of getting a GB pro and I played it a few times I understood the rules a little but
I feel until you played it at home for a while I can not get all the feeling
Of the code and what's fully in there

Compaired to the Great Stern games like sm,Tron Tspp Lotr met acdc...
Where does Ghostbuster stands ?

Btw I liked the GB movie but not a Huge fan , it was good but nothing more for me

Thanks

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Compaired to the Great Stern games like sm,Tron Tspp Lotr met acdc...
Where does Ghostbuster stands ?

It stands in a garbage dumpster compared to the greats. I love all the games you listed. Every one of them crushes GB on design, gameplay, and rules.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It stands in a garbage dumpster compared to the greats. I love all the games you listed. Every one of them crushes GB on design, gameplay, and rules.

Thanks man !

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What he said.

#5 7 years ago

I think its one of their best, Id take it over any of those listed except lotr.

#6 7 years ago

It's addicting to play over and over, just like the others you mentioned. Wife digs it more than I do

#7 7 years ago

Gb stands out as a layout oddity ,which makes it great for a change of pace. For greatness, see the other titles and add TWD , if that title floats your boat.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lol come on dude! That is seriously just wrong man!

For me it's Ghostbusters for the win!

#9 7 years ago

I also like Ghostbusters the best. But it really is a matter of personal preference. No right or wrong answer.

#10 7 years ago

Ghostbusters, best thing out in a long time! Top 10 game

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Gb stands out as a layout oddity ,which makes it great for a change of pace. For greatness, see the other titles and add TWD , if that title floats your boat.

Yes it does but i d'ont have the money for a Twd Prem/Le

#12 7 years ago

What about a Walking Dead Pro? I have one and it's awesome.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What about a Walking Dead Pro? I have one and it's awesome.

I am also thinking about Twd Pro i am a Fan of the show and like the Zombie theme but i feel like the Playfiled
is empty and will cost me a Ton in mods Tower Fish tank... what mods do you have install ?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol come on dude! That is seriously just wrong man!
For me it's Ghostbusters for the win!

Not even remotely wrong. You're telling me you think GB's cheap and broken layout with all its cheap bullshit drains and linear goofy code is better than SM & ACDC (Ritchie/Lyman), Met & Tron (Borg/Lyman), or LOTR (Gomez/Keith)!?!? Those games are bonafide classics. They speak for themselves & have universal praise. GB is polarizing as hell. I think it's a garbage game that plays like garbage....and it's my favorite theme ever. I wish it was great. I guarantee if the art and theme were different you wouldn't be fawning over it. If it was GB'16 with Photoshop art, you'd be agreeing with me. The superficial is allowing people to give this game a pass. Without that bandaid, we'd all be I agreement.

#15 7 years ago

TWD pro (Met pro too) is actually better than premium IMO.

All the games you listed I own (except SM which I owned for a while also great. TWD, IM and Tspp stand in that great category).

I've yet to play GB but hear it's great also.

#16 7 years ago

I am also thinking about Twd Pro i am a Fan of the show and like the Zombie theme but i feel like the Playfiled
is empty and will cost me a Ton in mods Tower Fish tank... what mods do you have install ?

If you are a fan of the show then by all means I'd get a walking dead pro because it's one of the best pinball machines that's ever been made imo. Only thing I've done is installed some color LED's, bought like 3 little signs that go on the playfield that was like 20 dollars each, the WD topper, and shaker motor. The game comes with all white LED's and it is just too much white lights. Put a few color LED's in place of some of the white lights and it changes the looks of the game totally and it's super easy to do also. I would like to add the little fish tank mod one day but I can't seem to find them in stock ever. Sounds to me like the walking dead pro is your game bro.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

TWD pro is actually better than premium IMO

Agree

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not even remotely wrong. You're telling me you think GB's cheap and broken layout with all its cheap bullshit drains and linear goofy code is better than SM & ACDC (Ritchie/Lyman), Met & Tron (Borg/Lyman), or LOTR (Gomez/Keith)!?!? Those games are bonafide classics. They speak for themselves & have universal praise. GB is polarizing as hell. I think it's a garbage game that plays like garbage....and it's my favorite theme ever. I wish it was great. I guarantee if the art and theme were different hog wouldn't be fawning over it. If it was GB'16 with Photoshop art, you'd be agreeing with me. The superficial is allowing people to give this game a pass. Without that bandaid, we'd all be I agreement.

You can't get AC/DC anymore, it's better than Metallica, Spider-Man, Tron, and lotr in my opinion, especially GB Premium

#19 7 years ago

You can still get AcDc they sold thousands of them.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You can still get AcDc they sold thousands of them.

I meant new. You can't get any of them new actually except MET and GB and WD though. I don't even know why I said that really lol. I thought maybe he was wanting a new pin.

#21 7 years ago

Playfield definitely isn't empty, it's awesome

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you are a fan of the show then by all means I'd get a walking dead pro because it's one of the best pinball machines that's ever been made imo. Only thing I've done is installed some color LED's, bought like 3 little signs that go on the playfield that was like 20 dollars each, the WD topper, and shaker motor. The game comes with all white LED's and it is just too much white lights. Put a few color LED's in place of some of the white lights and it changes the looks of the game totally and it's super easy to do also. I would like to add the little fish tank mod one day but I can't seem to find them in stock ever. Sounds to me like the walking dead pro is your game bro.

I like the way this one looks with some Color Led's

042e53cb6a409f6ec890a00240d1b1ed02b04973 (resized).jpg042e53cb6a409f6ec890a00240d1b1ed02b04973 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

I like the way this one looks with some Color Led's

Yes that's a nice job he did and that isn't hard to do either. TWD is a kick ass machine!

#24 7 years ago

Everyone has their own tastes I guess mine on this pin are like Rarehero's.

I've played it many times pro and premium just not a fan. I think SM is.the favorite Stern I own.

#25 7 years ago

I would also pass on GB for another Stern title. SM, LOTR, and TWD would all be my choice over GB. I've played GB a few times and I just won't want to push Start again, but the other 3 titles keep taking my quarters.

#26 7 years ago

I've really, really tried to like GB. It's a great game to look at, but once I start playing, I find it completely un-engaging. The darkness of the playfield, the endless stop and go, the inability to see where the ball is half the time, the incomprehensible ruleset. After 50 or 60 plays I still haven't found anything that would make me want to own one, especially compared to some of the other Sterns you mentioned.

#27 7 years ago

Just got a GB Pro. Def my fav machine in my collection and the fact that the layout IS unique is what makes it great. Love the game and love the movie.

#28 7 years ago

I owned a GB pro and think its a great game but with all the playfield issues i sold it. Bought a GOT pro that now also has ghosted playfield inserts but GOT made me realize how poorly designed some of GB is. GB is a ton of fun at times, i beat the entire game but it took me 6 months to do it. I had a LOTR at the same time as GB and game longevity, rule set, theme immersion all go to LOTR but GB is more fun to play when your having a great game. Also had a MET pro at same time as GB and id rather own GB pro then MET pro. METs fun but i dont really like the ruleset much or MET music with pinball gameplay.

I recommend not buying any Sterns NIB. No playfields are being made by Churchill and never will be again ive been told by Stern distributor. Im actually considering picking up a TWD pro from before the falling out of Gary Stern and Churchill and thats what id recommend everyone do is pick up a used pre FUN made playfields machine if buying a Stern.

#29 7 years ago

Played Tron and Met, neither do anything for me. Agree ACDC is one of Stern's best and I am such a non music person! TWD is on my wish list but my GB prem is a fun, fantastic game that has some of the best art and light show...

Hard time deciding on TWD pro or Prem...

It's pinball, it's all fun!

#30 7 years ago

no you get the money..you just need to trade your acdc for the TWD

About GB, that is a good game but a kick ass one...that can be very enjoyable to play with some adjustments

#31 7 years ago

Despite what some people in this thread say, TWD Prem/LE trumps the Pro all day every day. Not to say the Pro is not also good, but the Premium is that much better.

Having said that you'll still need to add the Bicycle Girl light and Crossbow Mod. Throw in the tower and you have a truly great game. I doubt GB will ever match it, at least not with the the way the code is currently going.

#32 7 years ago

Just curious why some prefer TWD pro over premium/le?.....cost aside.

Would love to get a premium as my next game.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

To further derail , i find the pro vastly underwhelming. Although, i cut my teeth on the LE / Premium. Main complaint : Too bright, less variation.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

More shot variety - BG is a great shot. Crossbow is fun and challenging. 2 Spinners! And Well magnet creates more havoc.

On the pro, Bicycle Girl is just another left ramp shot. Like wise Xbow are just more regular playfield shots.

Once you tweak the BG ramp on the Prem it's almost as smooth as the pro.

And walker Bombs!!!!

#35 7 years ago

imo lotr is still the best game stern ever done, best rules, best implementation, great theme.
ac/dc is one of the best also, lyman/richie can't go wrong.

GB is a very very nice game (in a long time) and a popular theme but that's about it.
so many things wrong on that playfield, cheap drains, brick shots, poor design with after market solutions to make it play better, basic toys, cheesy music.
to me it's a borefest for others it's one of the best (because they own one).

#36 7 years ago

Have a TWD Pro no need for mods but it is a drain monster as I have heard GB is keep that in mind.

#37 7 years ago

I own everyone of those titles now and I feel that GB holds its own in that line up. Originality, artwork and theme beat a lot of those titles. The game is new code is decent and just an good ad Tron.

If that's what you like I would recommend buying one

#38 7 years ago

I own Tron, ACDC, MET, used to own SM and LOTR. I love my GBLE. I haven't had issues with it.

Gb is a challenge. All the shots are fairly tight except for the right orbit. I really like the subway ramp, slimer, the ecto goggles, and the magna slings. There are a lot of different shots at different lengths. This music, dots, callouts, sound effects, lightshow, etc..are all top notch. I wish collecting equipment at the left standup bank was integrated into the code in a more meaningful way.

#39 7 years ago

Don't sweat the mods at first, just upgrade speakers (external sub?) and get a shaker. Do the other mods over time if the game stands out as a long term pin for you.

Im in the boat that the TWD PRO is a great purchase over the prem/le. Mainly cause of value.

Quoted from pipes:

When comparing gameplay and features between the two, value is the #1 reason. But digging in deeper, the pro plays smoother (to me). I love that the bicycle girl mode is looping the left ramp instead of bricking yet another bash toy. No Well Walker magnet helps reduce cheap drains on an already cheap draining pin. Lighting effects aren't as good as prem for obvious color changing aspects, but holy helll Lyman did a sweet job with the effects on a pro so the upgrade really isnt necessary. No drop target in front of woodbury is no big deal. XBOW is alright, not a gamebreaker and really just kills the flow but xbow frenzy can be cool - but still, not worth the added cost or a deal breaker. Plus, ive never got xbow frenzy on the pro so dont know how it is comparatively speaking. Spinners do rock in this game and have fun rules with a cool effect, so really those 2 spinners are the biggest missing point i see in the pro.

That leaves us with Well Walker Bombs. There was a huge debate on this about a year or so ago and still remains a debate. When i was flipping back and forth from owning a prem to a pro, i ultimately went with premium solely to have walker bombs. Now that my premium is out the door and i have a lot of time on location pro machines, i can honestly say they are overrated and not needed on the pro version. Are they nice? yes. But are they worth the upgrade? no. Pro machine flows better and has slightly less riskier shots than the prem. So having the walker bombs is a nice luxury on the premium. The pro flows nicer, you dont have the well walker magnet causing drains where you'll need a walker bomb to survive. Plus, you dont have to hit the dangerous drop targets as often on the pro as you collect walker bombs. You have a much nicer flowing ramp which you dont have to worry about missed klunk shots or another bash toy which also puts the ball in jeopardy. Lastly, having the action button for weapons during horde mode prolongs that mode SOOOO LONG. Such a cool mode that can get boring in a home environment with how long and drawn out it can be with having the extra weapons.

Ultimately, both versions are awesome and the LE looks superb and makes a great LE. But the pro is an awesome pin to have value wise that i would much rather own it over a prem if i were to ever get it back in my collection.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

this is something I hear a lot, most people who own premium will say it's better.

I think the pro is better. I have the means to buy the LE/premium.

IMO (and I have played a three different TWD premiums)

crossbow is meh (I could literally care less), if you want to say, it's a bad thing since it stops the ball, it's AcDc cannon it's whatever. I guess it's ok but shooting a cannon is not really exciting to me (I could take it or leave it)

BG ramp on the LE/Premium is not good. The ramp is not smooth as the pro, it's rattly, the ball can fly off the ramp. I think Stern cheapness is on display.

The GI lights on the premium is better, but I like the pro fine, it gets the job done.

#41 7 years ago

I think it's baloney to say pro owners only buy the pro because they can't afford the premium. I have $50K in pins, I can afford the premium, I chose the pro.

look the owner list on Pinside

AcDc ~1000 more people own the premium/LE than own AcDc pro.

look at TWD only ~100 more people own the LE/Premium than the pro.

likewise (I think Met pro is equal to the pre/LE) and the ownership is in fact just about equal (with just 60 more owners of the LE/premium)

In fact allowing that the LE is also included in the premium numbers, so when Stern sells 500+ LE pins straight off and some people just buy the LE without ever playing the pro. It kind of tells me that the games with strong pro numbers the pro might be better or as good.

#42 7 years ago

The BG ramp airballs was true on early LE and Premiums. Stern put out a fix and it made the ramp on my LE butter smooth. I prefer the Premium/LE over the Pro for the Walker bombs and light show the most though.

#43 7 years ago

I forgot the Walker Bombs, that sounds like the main reason along with the spinners but I'm very satisfied with the pro. The BG ramp is not as nice on the premium (IMO) slight miss hits cause it to rattle, there is a funny angle not as smooth IMO.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

The BG ramp airballs was true on early LE and Premiums. Stern put out a fix and it made the ramp on my LE butter smooth. I prefer the Premium/LE over the Pro for the Walker bombs and light show the most though.

Oh, forgot to add Bombs to my list.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Don't sweat the mods at first, just upgrade speakers (external sub?) and get a shaker. Do the other mods over time if the game stands out as a long term pin for you.
Im in the boat that the TWD PRO is a great purchase over the prem/le. Mainly cause of value.

When comparing gameplay and features between the two, value is the #1 reason. But digging in deeper, the pro plays smoother (to me). I love that the bicycle girl mode is looping the left ramp instead of bricking yet another bash toy. No Well Walker magnet helps reduce cheap drains on an already cheap draining pin. Lighting effects aren't as good as prem for obvious color changing aspects, but holy helll Lyman did a sweet job with the effects on a pro so the upgrade really isnt necessary. No drop target in front of woodbury is no big deal. XBOW is alright, not a gamebreaker and really just kills the flow but xbow frenzy can be cool - but still, not worth the added cost or a deal breaker. Plus, ive never got xbow frenzy on the pro so dont know how it is comparatively speaking. Spinners do rock in this game and have fun rules with a cool effect, so really those 2 spinners are the biggest missing point i see in the pro.
That leaves us with Well Walker Bombs. There was a huge debate on this about a year or so ago and still remains a debate. When i was flipping back and forth from owning a prem to a pro, i ultimately went with premium solely to have walker bombs. Now that my premium is out the door and i have a lot of time on location pro machines, i can honestly say they are overrated and not needed on the pro version. Are they nice? yes. But are they worth the upgrade? no. Pro machine flows better and has slightly less riskier shots than the prem. So having the walker bombs is a nice luxury on the premium. The pro flows nicer, you dont have the well walker magnet causing drains where you'll need a walker bomb to survive. Plus, you dont have to hit the dangerous drop targets as often on the pro as you collect walker bombs. You have a much nicer flowing ramp which you dont have to worry about missed klunk shots or another bash toy which also puts the ball in jeopardy. Lastly, having the action button for weapons during horde mode prolongs that mode SOOOO LONG. Sunch a cool mode that can get boring in a home environment with how long and drawn out it can be with having the extra weapons.
Ultimately, both versions are awesome and the LE looks superb and makes a great LE. But the pro is an awesome pin to have value wise that i would much rather own it over a prem if i were to ever get it back in my collection.

Quoted from rai:

this is something I hear a lot, most people who own premium will say it's better.
I think the pro is better. I have the means to buy the LE/premium.
IMO (and I have played a three different TWD premiums)
crossbow is meh (I could literally care less), if you want to say, it's a bad thing since it stops the ball, it's AcDc cannon it's whatever. I guess it's ok but shooting a cannon is not really exciting to me (I could take it or leave it)
BG ramp on the LE/Premium is not good. The ramp is not smooth as the pro, it's rattly, the ball can fly off the ramp. I think Stern cheapness is on display.
The GI lights on the premium is better, but I like the pro fine, it gets the job done.

Great responses guys! That's the kind of info I was looking for but still makes deciding between the two a difficult choice. Playing both is really the only answer as everyone has their own preferences. Seems to be a winner regardless though.

#46 7 years ago

Plus the second magnet, drop target , work rails ,and real lock bar. TWD to me is one of the models that I feel is definitely worth the extra cash

#47 7 years ago

Of course there will be people who are defending the machine they own, but Eskabee owned both.

It's hard to get around ownership bias. But only if you have people who owned both and switched one way or the other.

If one game sold 5 times more like AcDc premium. That's another indication as well.

Cost is alway a factor the pro is always cheaper.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Of course there will be people who are defending the machine they own, but Eskabee owned both.
It's hard to get around ownership bias. But only if you have people who owned both and switched one way or the other.
If one game sold 5 times more like AcDc premium. That's another indication as well.
Cost is alway a factor the pro is always cheaper.

I own the Premium because I played both extensively and preferred the Premium. I'm not defending it because I own it. I'm defending it because I preferred it enough to buy it over the pro.

#49 7 years ago

For me i buy what I feel is a better value for what you are getting, art package and how much you are loosing or gaining. I have the cash to buy either and owned both models of a few

For me I own

ST. Pro. Not a lot extra on a Prem
TWD. Prem. Lots extra on a Prem
GB. Prem. Lots extra on a Prem
Tron Pro. Almost the same as LE
Met. Pro Had LE, hammer sux
AcDc. Prem. Lots extra on a Prem

#50 7 years ago

Typical to see TWD pro owners slag the prem/le to justify their purchase.

1. The overall weight of evidence simply shows the TWD prem/le is more liked than the pro. TWD pinside ratings between the pro and prem/le are around the largest spread I've seen for any machine with pro/prem/le offerings; it is currently at over 50 spots difference.

2. Literally more people own the TWD prem/le on pinside than the pro, which also shows a lot of people have justified the prem/le and its price difference.

3. The TWD prem/le has one of the most added feature sets over the pro compared to other pro/prem/le pins. If the added features of TWD aren't enough to justify the price to someone then those people tend to consistently be pro buyers and owners (just something to note and compare to one's own personal preferences, not anything right or wrong with it).

4. A few people like Rai love to bang the drum over and over again on negative TWD prem/le features that actual prem/le owners don't report having significant issues with, such as the left ramp. And again, the pinside ratings do not bear that out either.

'

All TWD options are great pins. The pro is significantly cheaper if money is tight. OP can decide if the extra price for the prem/le is worth it to himself. I'd heartily suggest the OP consider the TWD pro. The TWD prem/le is more rare in Canada than the Pro and I'm all for keeping it that way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-vs-smtronlotr-ect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.