Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0794 (resized).JPG
IMG_0793 (resized).JPG
IMG_0111 (resized).JPG
IMG_0109 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Was thinking of making Mylar squares like they use on ball drops. Do you guys think that will be sufficient.

Or should I just go with the cliffys. Love his protectors but not really crazy about the look of the on the targets

Any other options

#2 7 years ago

If I would go with the protectors which ones do I order from him. Also what is there cost. Thx Allen

#3 7 years ago

Just email him, he'll invoice you or provide a quote. The two I got won't quite fit, so need to think about whether I want to widen the hole slightly, trim the targets slightly, or come up with another plan. It's not the fault of the protectors, but on my machine, there is zero clearance.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Was thinking of making Mylar squares like they use on ball drops. Do you guys think that will be sufficient.
Or should I just go with the cliffys. Love his protectors but not really crazy about the look of the on the targets
Any other options

I just did an install video of the Cliffy's on my GB Premium. The Scolari protectors fit pretty good. The right protector had to be modified a bit because the light board when tightened would raise the protector making the drop down not work properly. I just snugged the board down instead of tightening fully.

Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2016/11/22/mod-installs-cliffys-protectors-install-video-on-ghostbusters-premium/

YouTube Vid:

#5 7 years ago

Just make sure the targets are flush with the PF and in a HUO environment you won't need any. Heck the GB at Pinballz here in Austin shows no wear and it's been played a lot.

#6 7 years ago

Can happen at any time. This gb has a ton of plays.

IMG_0109 (resized).JPGIMG_0109 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

And obviously didn't have the drops set flush with the PF. That Drop target would have to be set below the PF to get that kind of damage. I little time spent dialing in a game makes a world of difference.

To each their own I guess.

#8 7 years ago

How do you adjust the target height

Mine looks flush but I want to put a hair up

#9 7 years ago

I'm all for mylar squares.

Does anyone have a machine that can cut these?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

How do you adjust the target height
Mine looks flush but I want to put a hair up

There should be a large screw on the bottom of the target -- will need to lift the playfield at least partially. Tightening the screw pushes it up, loosening lowers.

#11 7 years ago

Simple enough. I quess I should look next time. Thx

#12 7 years ago

I used sticky Mylar ,I just layed a piece down covering the drop and a bit more and then used a blade to trim around the target,better than nothing.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

And obviously didn't have the drops set flush with the PF. That Drop target would have to be set below the PF to get that kind of damage. I little time spent dialing in a game makes a world of difference.
To each their own I guess.

Why do you obviously assume that I didn't adjust the target to be flush with the playfield ? Kind of annoying actually.

You would be surprised on what happens to heavy played games on route no matter how much you 'dial in' a game.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Why do you obviously assume that I didn't adjust the target to be flush with the playfield ? Kind of annoying actually.
You would be surprised on what happens to heavy played games on route no matter how much you 'dial in' a game.

Maybe because that is the case 90%+ of the time for that kind of damage. If the target is flush or a tad higher than the PF that wont usually happen. Been around enough routed games with drops that don't have that issue and the ones that have had one thing in common (slightly sunken target). But then again this is Ghostbusters so yours could just be another case of a bad pf.

Still, I'd rather look at that than two metal guards smack dab in the middle of the pf.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

But then again this is Ghostbusters so yours could just be another case of a bad pf

I would say bad PF. Another pic from this game

IMG_0111 (resized).JPGIMG_0111 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago

When I started off in the hobby not so long ago, most thought that Cliffy's were not necessary in a HUO environment. That couldn't be more wrong from what I've experienced on my games which are not played that often and all HUO. My GB has a good playfield along with ball through and noticed a small chip in my left drop and yes it was flush. I covered it up with a quickness.

I'd worry that the mylar would only protect the top and on drops or ball through the damage doesn't appear to happen(or at least start) at the top, instead it starts chipping on the inside of playfield where the mylar isn't and eventually spreads or starts cracking. I would think the mylar would keep this chips in place, but not really prevent. Can you imagine trying to take the mylar off after the clear coat is cracked underneath. I'd go Cliffy, just one guys opinion

He's makes a special one for the right drop. My drops needed just a bit of sanding at the very back to have the right fit, but it was an easy install. For whatever its worth, I read about people putting mylar on the shooter lanes (one of the many GB threads) and it did not prevent the damage, but I cannot speak to this first hand.

IMG_0793 (resized).JPGIMG_0793 (resized).JPG
IMG_0794 (resized).JPGIMG_0794 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

For the shooter lane, I put down mylar, cliffy shooter lane protectors, and I lowered the eject power.

I just hope going forward, any older games with code updates, has that adjustment added to it.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

For the shooter lane, I put down mylar, cliffy shooter lane protectors, and I lowered the eject power.
I just hope going forward, any older games with code updates, has that adjustment added to it.

I agree, spent alot of time tweaking and adjusting this game and I forgot to do this at first, then forgot again after installing new code. Ball comes out nice and gentle a low power

#19 7 years ago

I just adjusted my targets. Two tiny screws on each and very simple to do. I made 1 x 1 3/4 Mylar squares with rounded corners and layed right over the hole and target. Then took an exacto knife with a new blade and trimmed around the hole.

I raised the targets so they sit about 1/64 above the playfield at each edge of the target

Ball does not even touch wood edge now

I will defiantly be watching for and thing out of the ordinary and if anything starts to look strange I put the protectors on.

#20 7 years ago

For my scoleri brothers...I ordered the cliffy protectors. Tonight, I put a piece of mylar around them. I'm figuring in the long run, the combination of the 2 will give the best protection.

1 month later
#21 7 years ago

I'm having a heck of a time installing the Cliffy protectors around the Scoleri drop targets. They just don't seem to fit properly. They wiggle around and don't sit flush with the playfield.

Some people mentioned having to slightly "modify the protector" to get it to properly fit. Can someone elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance!!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

I'm having a heck of a time installing the Cliffy protectors around the Scoleri drop targets. They just don't seem to fit properly. They wiggle around and don't sit flush with the playfield.
Some people mentioned having to slightly "modify the protector" to get it to properly fit. Can someone elaborate on this?
Thanks in advance!!

I had to fiddle with it to make it as flush as possible to minimize air balls. But, installing should be pretty easy. Remove the drop target (4 screws). It should slide in from the top and snap in underneath. The right one is trimmed as to not interfere with a screw. Is it not snapping in?

Now, underneath I used a screw on the left one to help keep it flush by pulling it tight, but we're talking minor minor difference.

Also, once installed, I couldn't put the drop back in without sanding the back edge down. Even without the Cliffy, there was zero wiggle room.

Can you take a pic? Maybe it's bent or something?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I had to fiddle with it to make it as flush as possible to minimize air balls. But, installing should be pretty easy. Remove the drop target (4 screws). It should slide in from the top and snap in underneath. The right one is trimmed as to not interfere with a screw. Is it not snapping in?
Now, underneath I used a screw on the left one to help keep it flush by pulling it tight, but we're talking minor minor difference.
Also, once installed, I couldn't put the drop back in without sanding the back edge down. Even without the Cliffy, there was zero wiggle room.
Can you take a pic? Maybe it's bent or something?

Thanks very much for the reply!
I took the 2nd protector and it fit the area just fine and is flush with the playfield. I think the original one is just a bit bent from trying to get it to fit, and so now it's being a real pain.

If I can't get it to sit flush, I'll just raise the drop target a tiny bit and put a small piece of mylar over the back edge for now.

Happy gaming!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 26.50
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

15,699 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-scolari-bros-protection?hl=archon9000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.