Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by captkirk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5877 (resized).JPG

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I have limited space and am looking for thoughts on which is the better game and why. Love both themes.

#2 3 years ago

GB Premium is a lot better than the pro but WD Prem by a mile.

#3 3 years ago

WD Premium ... Besides the better theme, it has full and complete software by Lyman. Excellent machine !!!

#4 3 years ago

TWD is a difficult, unique, deep machine. You really can't do much better for home play.

#5 3 years ago

Yeah, at this point TWD premium has the edge as code is much deeper.
I own both of these titles and think they are each enjoyable in their own right.
Very different playing games which are fun yet very challenging.

TWD has a darker more menacing theme while GB is lighter and more campy.
Both have a pretty tough & tight right ramp while each has a nice flowing left ramp.

Lights, callouts and music are good in both though GB has the edge on desgin with Zombi Yeti's cool pf art package.
As both stand right now, I think TWD premium is the more complete game. Enjoy it now and if you like, trade it into a GB premium later.

#6 3 years ago

TWD and it's not close.

#7 3 years ago

TWD because it has the best rules of any pin ever made. GB is also great but the ruleset is not as good.-doesnt have the balance or polish. The wizard modes and stackability isn't nearly as good either. I actually like the art, layout and theme better on GB but code is a really big deal to me and for that TWD is unmatched. TWD also does a great job of bringing you into the theme, especially if you have an alternative sound package with quotes from the show and the dmd animations are the best I've ever seen. My favorite game!

#8 3 years ago

Here's my suggestion, if there's anyway that you can go play them both then do it and make your decision. Even if you had to drive a hundred miles to play them, it would be worth doing it to help you make the best purchase possible. I have a WD and it's an amazing game for sure and a proven winner. I also happen to believe that GB Premium is pretty damn special. I'm getting a GB Premium and I'm excited as hell and can't wait. It's one of the best Stern pins ever made imo. Both are just excellent pins.

#9 3 years ago

Twdp by fair margin imo....

#11 3 years ago

Tough call as I have both....... I would give the edge to TWD. Not for the fact the code is better, and it is much better. But GB is just so frign cool and once tuned in its fun and much less frustrating. That's my one gripe as an average player about TWD , its such a tough demanding game that keeps you on your toes at all times. Like others said TWD submerses you in the game also and thats most likely thats what keeps calling you back for one more.

#12 3 years ago

TWD, love the pro.

#13 3 years ago

One of these machines is a testament to the greatest combination of code and design, brought forth from a lineage of machines that build upon their predecessors' strengths, distilling further each and every nuance of perfect balance and engaging gameplay, that has come out of Stern in modern times.

The other has a marshmallow man.

#14 3 years ago

Skip the prem and buy both pro's

Love both games.

#15 3 years ago

i vote walking dead

#16 3 years ago

This is not much of a contest. Ghostbusters may win on art, but that is it.

The Walking Dead Premium is a total classic. Ghostbusters has so many frustrating gameplay flaws I don't even enjoy playing it on location any more -- much less considering buying one.

#17 3 years ago

I have both and since we've got the GB that's what we've been playing most lately, but man it can be just frustrating (Walking Dead can be frustrating too). If it was just me in the house and I only had one game, I'd chose TWD between the two. Install the show voices for sure.

Now, if I had kids (I do) and a wife (I do) and if they aren't big zombie fans (they aren't), the GB theme would win out (mine won't leave). The game code needs a bit more work, but it's a challenging pin, you aren't going to conquer it easily and it's a blast.

As for the GB issues, there are several tweaks you can do to the game that make it better and it plays just fine. Adjust the scoleri target heights, bump up the outer rails a 1/4", narrow the outer lanes with the movable post (if you want), replace the post under the right ramp, move the rubbers down on the slings, add an airball deflector, etc. The only issue I still have is the flippers are just powerful and can launch a batted ball (all games can do some airballs), but the game plays great now, all the shots are make able, etc.

BTW: I made a few tweaks to TWD too when I got it, but don't remember exactly what.

#18 3 years ago

I have both. TWD is the clear winner for me. Ghostbusters is good too, but TWD sets the bar extremely high.

#19 3 years ago

So what everyone is saying is get both

#20 3 years ago

Do the aftermarket upgrades make it closer? Seems WD premium wins this one

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4255

#21 3 years ago

Nope. Go for a TWD prem. Give ghostbusters a couple of more years to mature and then see how solid the pin is with code and playability....

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

So what everyone is saying is get both

No, everyone is saying get TWD. Pass on GB.

#23 3 years ago

What about TWD premium vs Star Trek Premium?

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

TWD, love the pro.

Have not played GB so won't comment. But TWD pro is one of my favorite games of all time.

I noticed OP mentioned ST. I have STLE and TWD pro along with AcDc and had SM.

IMO STLE/premium is much more flash with it's color changing lights, it shoots very well and is a heck of a lot of fun. I think the rules of STLE is so-so meaning it's good but not great. I mean put it on par with or better than average. But there are a few over the top great rules in pinball and I think TWD is up there.

I would not say TWD is that much better than ST. But I play TWD more often at this point.

If you have AcDc and SM in your collection, ST has a lot of the same flow feel. Maybe you want more or maybe you want something off beat like TWD.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Skip the prem and buy both pro's
Love both games.

this is a good point, again not having played GB can't say.

But TWD pro + Tspp/Met pro/ IM (you're spending ~$9K for two games).

Not to sound like a broken record but I like TWD pro and Met pro just as much (or more) than the premiums.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from captkirk:

What about TWD premium vs Star Trek Premium?

Hey Kirk.... GB is a great game even as is in the premium version. I also have a ST, but it's a pro as the premium adds almost zero game play and minimal game features. If I had to decide between GB Prem and ST Prem its a no contest in my book ...... GB all the way even as is . TWD is a better game at this point and one of Sterns best. Really you should play them as I spent a few hours on GB before deciding it was for me.
Here is the order I place them in

TWD Prem
GB Prem .... Very close
ST in either model.

#27 3 years ago

TWD Premium is awesome - much better than ST, and a great improvement over TWD Pro IMO.
TWD Pro is NOT as good as TWD Premium, but you can save money and it's still good. I know multiple people that had a TWD Pro and loved the game enough to sell the Pro and upgrade to the Premium - and they are all glad they did. You're missing a lot of nice features on the Pro vs Premium on TWD: Color Controlled Lighting, Walker Bombs, Spinners, Well Walker Magnet, RGB Inserts, Crossbow Toy, Bicycle Girl bash toy, BG Lift ramp, Fishtank toy, Woodbury drop target. That's a lot of cool stuff - and almost all of it enhances the game play!

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from T7:

TWD Premium is awesome - much better than ST, and a great improvement over TWD Pro IMO.
TWD Pro is NOT as good as TWD Premium, but you can save money and it's still good. I know multiple people that had a TWD Pro and loved the game enough to sell the Pro and upgrade to the Premium - and they are all glad they did. You're missing a lot of nice features on the Pro vs Premium on TWD: Color Controlled Lighting, Walker Bombs, Spinners, Well Walker Magnet, RGB Inserts, Crossbow Toy, Bicycle Girl bash toy, BG Lift ramp, Fishtank toy, Woodbury drop target. That's a lot of cool stuff - and almost all of it enhances the game play!

I'm usually a Pro guy as most of the time the extra bells and whistles of the Prem/LE versions don't do much for me. I have played close to 500 games of TWD Pro on route and love the game so much that I decided I wanted to buy one for home and I would wait for a nice deal on a HUO. I looked for a few months and nothing really came up. There was a nice deal that came up on a TWDLE locally though, and despite only playing a handful of games on the LE/Premium I decided to give it a go despite the extra cost figuring I got it for a good price and could sell it for no loss if I changed my mind. I've only had it about a month but now that I've got over 350 games on it and have played it almost as much as I have the Pro I can say without a doubt that it's the better version. The biggest difference of course are the Walker bombs. They completely change the strategy of the game and how you approach it. The Bicycle Girl bash toy is also great, especially if you have the lighted mod for it. This also adds more strategy and changes the geometry of the game as I try to stack it with CDC which makes it an easier shot vs. the Pro which is almost too easy to repeat left ramp shots. The color changing GI is also incredible and adds to the ambiance of the game. Not only does it change color but it also dims and brightens which is really a cool effect. At first I didn't really care for the crossbow mod but once I got it working 100% and got better at using it, I actually find it to be a lot of fun. I've actually made the Crossbow Frenzy mode quite a few times and it's really fun as it stacks along with multiball and adds some extra challenge to the game.-it's like the cannon in ACDC basically. I'm also like ripping spinners and TWDLE has two of them which add to the enjoyment of the game. Plus there are other features like well walker magnet and the drop target at the Woodbury shot which improve the game. Really, the only negative on the Premium/LE is that the left ramp isn't as smooth.-Although this can be tweaked and improved. Overall though I've been in the hobby for over 12 years now and owned over 40 games and aside from possibly LOTR, TWDLE is the one that I've enjoyed the most and I now consider it to be my favorite game.

#30 3 years ago

ghost busters. no dog chew toy on the lower playfield.

#31 3 years ago

Both games are great I have both you can't lose.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

ghost busters. no dog chew toy on the lower playfield.

Marshmallow man?

#33 3 years ago

I like both games though own GB. Hope to get a TWD some day. Interesting data point ... Maybe it's comparing only two pins that skews the opinion, maybe it's inflated ratings due to newness, but GB is rated higher (marginally) on Pre/LE, and on pro it's not even close. Not that this should drive your decision, of course, but neither should others' opinions.

Criteria 1 should be what game you most enjoy playing regardless of ratings or opinions.
Criteria 2, especially if 1 is a toss up, is which game is easier to get. For that reason, I say TWD as GB will be on the line for awhile, which keeps aftermarket sales prices in check.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Both games are great I have both you can't lose.

But if you could only keep one, which one would it be?

#35 3 years ago

I prefer TWD pro over the premium far as gameplay goes if I was considering this title due to price vs value. Though the artwork on the premium is killer. GB premium over the pro would be my choice on this title. That being said, you should play both versions of both games.

No better way to see both first hand would be to go out to Joystix this Friday for PacMan Fever Friday from 9pm to 2am and play all their games for $15. Last time I was there, they had both versions/titles. http://www.joystixgames.com/pacmanfever/default.asp

There will even be some of us Houston collectors there as well who you can meet up with and enjoy some games against as you try and make your decision.

#36 3 years ago

I have both. I recommend to play both of them if you can because each one has it's pros and cons. If I had to pick one it would be GB, only just.

I know taylorva really wants TWD pin

#37 3 years ago

One thing if you buy a TWD Prem...... Order the Pro translite as I personally cant stand the fish tank one.

Also here's a pic of my Prem with a Pro translite in

IMG_5877 (resized).JPG

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

One thing if you buy a TWD Prem...... Order the Pro translite as I personally cant stand the fish tank one.
Also here's a pic of my Prem with a Pro translite in

I disagree. I love the fish tank translite. And I added the fish tank topper for good measure. GB is alright, but to me TWD Prem is in a whole different league. It's no contest.

#39 3 years ago

Another vote for TWD. Would go for the Pro and buy a cheap second game with the $ saved.

#40 3 years ago

If you are patient go for TWD as it's a tough game, less patient go for GB as its slightly easier.

#41 3 years ago

Got an TWD LE off of here. Very excited.

#42 3 years ago

TWD is good, no doubt, but I prefer GB. The theme integration and overall light hearted nature of GB appeals to me much more than the dark theme. I hope to have a TWD (at least a pro) come through my collection one day.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I disagree. I love the fish tank translite. And I added the fish tank topper for good measure. GB is alright, but to me TWD Prem is in a whole different league. It's no contest.

I double disagree .... two much fish tank and I love GB. Wow, cant even state my opinion without an opinion of my opinion. WTF

#44 3 years ago

Don't think any Mellinials would like TWD because it doesn't give you a trophy for just participating.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I double disagree .... two much fish tank and I love GB. Wow, cant even state my opinion without an opinion of my opinion. WTF

It's a forum.

#46 3 years ago

If this video dont make you want to own a Walking dead premium/le im not sure what will. By the way that left ramp is looking pretty good and smooth for all the pro owners that use the left ramp is garbage excuse over and over and over lol. Great video with the man himself showing off /explaining the amazing code /rules and u can see all the great extra features the premium has in action especially the lights.. Enjoy

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

If this video dont make you want to own a Walking dead premium/le im not sure what will. By the way that left ramp is looking pretty good and smooth for all the pro owners that use the left ramp is garbage excuse over and over and over lol. Great video with the man himself showing off /explaining the amazing code /rules and u can see all the great extra features the premium has in action especially the lights.. Enjoy
ยป YouTube video

Totally agree. I was at a conference in Orlando a few weeks back, and went out of my way to go to a small hotel gameroom I found 2 years ago. They had IM and Mustang back then. They replaced Mustang with TWD Pro. I spent and hour on that machine. Much better than IM. Rules kicked ass even for a pro.

I want one now. Really do.

#48 3 years ago

I just played TWD premium for like 2 hours on Saturday. It's really addicting! GB, although it's my childhood dream theme....I just can't get into it.

#49 3 years ago

I loved, but mostly hated my TWDLe, the cheap drains, and sold it, looking back in hindsight and having played other premiums without the cheapness, , just turned out my particular machine was just monster in that area from the pops.

Now I've given my GBLE another two weeks since the last code update, I enjoy it,sometimes.. but the sling randomness is driving me nuts, no control whatsoever close to the flippers makes TWD an easy choice again.

so my opinion.. TWD Premium ordered, the GB is out, so long

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from captkirk:

Got an TWD LE off of here. Very excited.

Already it is time for a color upgrade. Dropped just in time for your new machine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-53-dont-open-dead-inside

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hell, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside