(Topic ID: 231640)

GB Premium, Star Trek Premium or Aerosmith LE

By callaway15

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Missed out on a NOB GOT: Pro I was wanting after a distributor apparently knocked it over and destroyed it (How does this happen?) and am now trying to decide between the above pins instead. Wondering what others’ thoughts are....?

#2 5 years ago

For me ASLE.

As much as I love GB and Star Trek, I would pick ASLE. Great underrated game.

#3 5 years ago

They’re all good pins. Really boils down to what theme/layout you like best. I personally like Star Trek the best of those three, in enjoy the fast games, 3 Flippers and 3 Ramps

#4 5 years ago

GB: fun game but not a fan of the designer and linear ruleset.

ST: fascinating gameplay. Immersive sound package. Warp ramp = best ramp in pinball, so fun. Awesome light package. Biggest flaw of the game is the tough as nails shot(s) to start a mission and you pretty much need to have a mission going at all times and there’s 18 of them making that shot even more of a negative, it really kills the flow of the game. But besides that, the game is fun as hell.

AS: besides one or two songs, the music really isn’t good for pinball (and I’m an Aerosmith fan). Jacky call outs are ear wrenching. Modes are generic and not too exciting. The game thrives on building toys multiball (6-ball) and the 2 wizard modes. Otherwise, the game doesn’t have much to do and gets stale quick.

All in all. My pick is ST. Lots of excitement, speed, and adrenaline. Awesome sound package. A bit rough trying to get to enterprise amok or 5 year mission, but rest is cool.

#5 5 years ago

I sold my ST solely based on that start a mission shot.

#6 5 years ago

Does it have to be one of those three? Because I'd pass on all of them. GB is a polarizing, flawed game. Only get it if you've played it a lot and really love it. Aerosmith is eh, there are better Sterns, get Metallica if you want a rock pin. Star Trek is fun, probably the best of the three, but I personally got tired of it quickly and sold it, it feels very samey after a while.

#7 5 years ago

These are all good points and thoughts so far.

I’m not set on just these 3....but I prefer NIB and figure I’ll need to jump on titles like these soon if I’m going to eventually have them.

I definitely get the Aerosmith thought about multiball being the biggest attraction. I played it at a show recently and just really found it to be pretty, and cool. That said, I think they have better songs and I played it at a show where you don’t hear the music.

I like Metallica but I simply don’t like the theme figures and art as much, and that’s important too me. I like AC/DC too, gameplay wise, but not a lot else.

I would like an AFM:S.E.remake eventually, but figure I can get one easily in the future.

I also might want Hobbit, but was a little underwhelmed the last time I had some time on one.

#8 5 years ago

IMO TWD pro and MET pro and Acdc premium are better but of that list I’d get ST (however I prefer SM with a similar layout).

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

These are all good points and thoughts so far.
    I’m not set on just these 3....but I prefer NIB and figure I’ll need to jump on titles like these soon if I’m going to eventually have them.
    I definitely get the Aerosmith thought about multiball being the biggest attraction. I played it at a show recently and just really found it to be pretty, and cool. That said, I think they have better songs and I played it at a show where you don’t hear the music.
    I like Metallica but I simply don’t like the theme figures and art as much, and that’s important too me. I like AC/DC too, gameplay wise, but not a lot else.
    I would like an AFM:S.E.remake eventually, but figure I can get one easily in the future.
    I also might want Hobbit, but was a little underwhelmed the last time I had some time on one.

IMO AFM remake is one of the best pins around but I do love TWD and Met (both pro) if you have considered either one both are excellent.

#10 5 years ago

Of those 3 my vote would be Aerosmith....I hated ST so I sold it....played several frustrating games on GB so thats a BIG NO.....IMO AC/DC or MET are better rock pins than Aerosmith...

#11 5 years ago

Either star trek or Aerosmith I think I will give the edge to Aerosmith though.

#12 5 years ago

Aerosmith LE. Great game. Fun game for pinheads and friends and fmaily as well.

#13 5 years ago

I haven’t had any frustrations with GB premiums that I’ve played, so I wonder if they were just set up really well, and different than stock.

I enjoy hitting the starship and I enjoy the ramps on ST premium.

Aerosmith has a decent array of things to shoot for. The upper playfield I think is a nice distraction

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Does it have to be one of those three? Because I'd pass on all of them. GB is a polarizing, flawed game. Only get it if you've played it a lot and really love it. Aerosmith is eh, there are better Sterns, get Metallica if you want a rock pin. Star Trek is fun, probably the best of the three, but I personally got tired of it quickly and sold it, it feels very samey after a while.

Word. Of the three Aerosmith LE is the one I come closest to recommending, but honestly all three are not super-great. GB might get better with the new code coming at The Rapture, but it's not recommendable at present.

I'd pick 3 different contenders.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Word. Of the three Aerosmith LE is the one I come closest to recommending, but honestly all three are not super-great. GB might get better with the new code coming at The Rapture, but it's not recommendable at present.
    I'd pick 3 different contenders.

Have some others you’d recommend considering then?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

If you’re a beginner and would like a fairly easy to understand game = AFM remake (or Spiderman) or Iron Man.

If you like complex brutal game rules that require more thought to get the most out (imo) TWD pro TWD pro is the way to go (imo). I prefer pro but some prefer the premium.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

ACDC, MET, MBR. Same great coder but three different designers and styles of play.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

Need more information to make a proper recommendation. Will this be your only pin? If not, what else do you have? Do you know if you're a flow or a stop'n'go player?

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Same. Love GB at first but the more I played it the more I hated it. Definitely get a lot of plays before deciding to buy one. I don't like Aerosmith either but to be fair I have not played it that much. I owned a ST pro for a while but sold it. Enjoyed it but don't miss it. Better to find a used one cheap. Metallica is the best Stern imo. Gameplay is fantastic thanks to Lyman. Iron Maiden is also a ton of fun. If it had a different theme I would be all over it.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Metallica is the best Stern imo. Gameplay is fantastic thanks to Lyman.

I would put Walking Dead over Metallica. I'm not turned on by the zombie gore, but you have to admit the game's a masterpiece.

#21 5 years ago

I would go with a GB Prem ........ eventually it will be a great game when code drops. By far the most toys of the three.

If you go ST, get a pro as there is almost zero gameplay difference. If you interested in going that route I may be putting up my ST pro that has ALL the best mods and is loaded up. I bought game NIB. Its as new. Shoot me a PM if interested.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

I would go with a GB Prem ........ eventually it will be a great game when code drops. By far the most toys of the three.
    If you go ST, get a pro as there is almost zero gameplay difference. If you interested in going that route I may be putting up my ST pro that has ALL the best mods and is loaded up. I bought game NIB. Its as new. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks for your thoughts. I definitely have enjoyed GB premium every time I’ve played it. I do like the ST premium over the Pro, but thanks for the offer

#23 5 years ago

I do like MBR but I don’t think I’d get it over other pins. I have TNA coming in the next week, so I only have that settled on at this point. I like games that are varied. I can enjoy games that are catch and shoot as well as ones that you just keep shooting on. I’m not a fan of TWD unfortunately

#24 5 years ago

I would hold out for another GOT pro if I were you. Out of box can be just as good as NIB if from the right home. As for the three you are choosing from, ST is the better one. Modes are too vanilla and need code to give them pourpose. I actually like the mode shot start, helps break the game up and is an accomplishment when you hit it.

#25 5 years ago

I’ve got a fully modded Ghostbusters LE in the marketplace if you’re interested pm me.

#26 5 years ago

ST would get my vote. The game flows so smooth. The sounds and dots are great. The warp ramp is the best. Great lightshow and the ship is a great toy that does multiple things.

With better code GB could be a lot better. AS just didn't come together for me. Nice layout and features, but I just don't like the code or the songs they picked for the game.

#27 5 years ago

I own ST, but to me it's still a buggy unfinished game. GB is far worse in this regard. Common factor? Dwight is code lead.

I'd go for Aerosmith if I had to choose one of the three, which is a very solid game now after Lonnie's last update. Even if IMO it's a waste to not just go for the Pro.

But on the other hand, ST is SAM rather than Spike which is a significant factor for some, including me. So if I was in the market right now, I wouldn't choose any of them, until such time as Spike schematics are fully released, documented, and either Stern vastly reduce the price of boards, or a third party starts producing them.

Quoted from OilGuy:

I would hold out for another GOT pro if I were you. Out of box can be just as good as NIB if from the right home. As for the three you are choosing from, ST is the better one. Modes are too vanilla and need code to give them pourpose. I actually like the mode shot start, helps break the game up and is an accomplishment when you hit it.

GoT is another Dwight game that needs to be finished. Some horrendous bugs and score imbalances.

#28 5 years ago

If you buy an AS LE I would get a HUO one if I were you. NIB would take a huge hit on reseale once you own it. HUO would be $7000-$7500 with some toys.

May want to say where you are located. You don’t have to be specific. Folks may have some games for sale in your area.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

If you buy an AS LE I would get a HUO one if I were you. NIB would take a huge hit on reseale once you own it. HUO would be $7000-$7500 with some toys.
    May want to say where you are located. You don’t have to be specific. Folks may have some games for sale in your area.

I've never been a big fan of people hiding their location and collection on their pinside profile. Makes it harder when you ask for advice.

#30 5 years ago

Of all the games I’ve sold, I miss Spider-Man the most. It’s pure fun, flow with enough strategy to keep it interesting and not be too simple. I really want a Walking Dead again too. It’s a masterpiece, but will also frustrate the hell out of you.

#31 5 years ago

ASLE is a lot of fun - that would be my pick of the 3.
    A lot of pinsiders were against the game before it even came out, as they don't like the band. The dislike of the band (or half of the bands career) keeps a lot of opinions negative on the title. But if you don't have that issue (IE: like the band and songs in the game), it's a great shooter with fun modes for sure!

The 2X playfield feature using the upper playfield is great and the code update has balanced out the difficulty / rewards of the various modes.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

I have TNA coming in the next week, so I only have that settled on at this point. I like games that are varied. I can enjoy games that are catch and shoot as well as ones that you just keep shooting on. I’m not a fan of TWD unfortunately

TNA is fantastic simple rules, it's great light and sound and very adrenaline rush plays veery different than my other 11 pins.

For something nice DI or Woz both of which feel different than our Stern pins. I know they cost money but they both are so well built and have a lot of features (magnets, toys etc.) and great light shows.

#33 5 years ago

I've been to several barcades and 2 recent pinball expo's, so I've had a taste of a lot of machines. I'm most keen on the Hobbit from JJP, just can't get into DI or WOZ. WOZ is quite a game gameplay wise, but theme just doesn't do it for me.

I would hope at some point in the future I'll be able to find a great HUO GOT:Pro. I know I can get NIB premium and LE, but I prefer not having the blocking upper playfield.

I'm unfortunately not a fan of spiderman, avengers, etc pins; I have played them. I'm in MI. Still am dumbfounded that a distributor apparently tipped a NOB GOT:Pro from a pin dolly and destroyed it. Disappointing.

#34 5 years ago

Of the ones you listed I would get ST. If I were getting a new stern I would get SW. If you are looking for JJP, and you did not like Hobbit, I would give POTC a try.

#35 5 years ago

All three are really good. I know I’m in the minority, but GB is one of my favorite pins.

I bought my LE from the beginning, and haven’t had any issues, other than adding plastic protectors.

Great theme, audio and really fun to play. Hopefully we get a code soon, that will hopefully fix the inconsistent scoring.

#36 5 years ago

Interesting dilemna. The seller who dropped the GOT:Pro I was interested in found a 2nd one doing inventory. This one is NOB, but likely has been at a show. Said to have 13,000 balls played on it, and about 2200 games. Is this a lot? Should I consider this and give it a go, over the games above? It was what I was first set on.

Anyone have a good price idea for what this should go for?

#37 5 years ago

Star Trek Premium

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

Interesting dilemna. The seller who dropped the GOT:Pro I was interested in found a 2nd one doing inventory. This one is NOB, but likely has been at a show. Said to have 13,000 balls played on it, and about 2200 games. Is this a lot? Should I consider this and give it a go, over the games above? It was what I was first set on.

I wouldn't call that NOB. I'd call it USED.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

2200 does not fit any definition of "new" no matter what words you put after it. NOB is an absolutely ridiculous designation and I do not know why it exists. That's a decent amount of plays, but wouldn't be a deal breaker IF the price reflects the fact that it is well used. There is no way that it got 2200 plays at one show. That is more like 5 shows worth if I were guessing. My gut tells me your distributer is lying to you and it was either routed or had a couple owners before finding its way to his "inventory". Be cautious with this guy...between this and the one he "tipped over" (more like sold to someone else for more $), my spidey-senses would be tingling.

All that said...if GoT is the game you decided on, that is the one you should get. It's a fantastic game. Of the others you mentioned, ST is by far my favorite, however it didn't sound like you were in love with any of them. It really boils down to what you want to own...do not just buy what happens to be available. Figure out what you really want, and you will eventually find one.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I wouldn't call that NOB. I'd call it USED.

That's definitely what I'd think.

Really haven't had a good vibe from the guy and distributor after each time I've talked, so may be best to just stay away. The guy basically wants new pricing -- and considering it's an older game, it's probable the pricing was actually lower back then. I've heard of others paying 700 to 1000 less for NIB a few years ago for the game, or HUO used.

GOT is the theme I really like, and for some reason I enjoy bashing that log, lol. ST I kept coming back to play at PinCinnatti though, and same with GB and AS. Would love to have them all, lol.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

That's definitely what I'd think.
    Really haven't had a good vibe from the guy and distributor after each time I've talked, so may be best to just stay away. The guy basically wants new pricing -- and considering it's an older game, it's probable the pricing was actually lower back then. I've heard of others paying 700 to 1000 less for NIB a few years ago for the game, or HUO used.
    GOT is the theme I really like, and for some reason I enjoy bashing that log, lol. ST I kept coming back to play at PinCinnatti though, and same with GB and AS. Would love to have them all, lol.

Personally, if a used stern premium isn't 700 to 1000 less than new I don't even bother with it. To me, used is used and pricing should reflect that. Star Trek is an awesome game, maybe my favorite stern.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-premium-star-trek-premium-or-aerosmith-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.