(Topic ID: 187668)

GB Premium ST Premium or wait for Star Wars Premium?

By KozMckPinball

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Radrog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“GB Premium ST Premium or wait for Star Wars Premium?”

• GB Premium 29 votes
    22%
  • ST Premium 25 votes
    19%
  • Wait for Star Wars Premium 60 votes
    45%
  • Buy another B/W machine 19 votes
    14%

(133 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

GB5 (resized).JPG
GB3 (resized).JPG
GB4 (resized).JPG
GB2 (resized).JPG
GB1 (resized).JPG
20170428_222840 (resized).jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Which would you recommend? GB Premium, ST Premium or wait for Star Wars Premium?

#2 2 years ago

I guess there is a poll for everything...

How can someone recommend a Star Wars premium yet?!?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I guess there is a poll for everything...

Just for advice not anything worth getting serious over. I am thinking wait to see what SW has to offer then decide.

#4 2 years ago

GB is cool, but it's probably worth waiting one more month to see star wars.

#5 2 years ago

Skip the Sterns and get yourself a more valuable Bally/Williams timeless Original themed collectible machine. Maybe get 2 for the price of one Stern. Just my 2 cents.

#6 2 years ago

Probably a good idea to wait and see if star wars is going to be any good since its not far off but if I was a betting man I'd say that GB Premium is going to be the winner because its an awesome game.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Probably a good idea to wait and see if star wars is going to be any good since its not far off but if I was a betting man I'd say that GB Premium is going to be the winner because its an awesome game.

Asking for advice because all I've gotten to play in the field were Pro models, ST and GB and lots of B/W games. Have not played GB Premium or ST Premium and ST Premium is rated so highly on Pinside that I was curious about it in relation to GB Premium.

#8 2 years ago

May 4th seems like the obvious date SW is teased or announced, so wait a week and that way you can hopefully get an idea which of the 3 you like the look of/sound of feature wise best.

GB Premium is great but if I had to choose I would go with ST Premium - the "Warp Ramp" shot is better than any shot on GB, its just insanely satisfying and a complete rush looping it over and over, that shot alone edges ST out in front of GB for me anyway.

#9 2 years ago

Star Trek Premium has a lot of bang for the buck- it comes with powder coated armor, and a full field of RGB color changing inserts. Get one new while you still can

#10 2 years ago

GB is terrible, ST is average, SW is unknown. Wait till SW is revealed before making a decision.

#11 2 years ago

I think it also depends on which theme that you like the most. I can't speak for ST Premium but I know that the Pro is an awesome game. GB Premium is also an awesome game and its my favorite game in my collection of TWD Pro, AS Pro, GOT Pro and GB Premium and a couple of older games.

We don't know what Star Wars will be like but its got its hands full if its going to beat GB Premium and ST. GB is freakin off the charts awesome.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GB is terrible, ST is average, SW is unknown. Wait till SW is revealed before making a decision.

Don't pay any attention to this .....he's the biggest GB hater on Pinside and he makes it his job in life to put down Ghostbusters.

#13 2 years ago

I would wait for SW.
ST is fun but it's kind of same old same old....and the Premium doesn't add much over the pro for me.
GB is GB...Premium for sure better than the pro but it's hit or miss with people...gone really quick out of my house (pro).
I would line up for the SW premium...get your monies in now and the pros will be out first so you can size them up. If you don;t like it you can just grab one of those others.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Don't pay any attention to this .....he's the biggest GB hater on Pinside and he makes it his job in life to put down Ghostbusters.

It's ok. I read Pinside a lot, I know he sold his GB recently for a $1000 loss. Still, I welcome his opinion.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think it also depends on which theme that you like the most. I can't speak for ST Premium but I know that the Pro is an awesome game. GB Premium is also an awesome game and its my favorite game in my collection of TWD Pro, AS Pro, GOT Pro and GB Premium and a couple of older games.
We don't know what Star Wars will be like but its got its hands full if its going to beat GB Premium and ST. GB is freakin off the charts awesome.

GB theme is tops for me, even including Star Wars. Hoping that Star Wars is a more flowy game like other Steve Ritchie stuff like SM or ST. I could make GB modded to what I like so there's that option too. The only thing for me is that I'm not fond of games with a lot of action figures, so SMVE is out. Star Wars probably will have a lot of action figures.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

GB theme is tops for me, even including Star Wars. Hoping that Star Wars is a more flowy game like other Steve Ritchie stuff like SM. I could make GB modded to what I like so there's that option too. The only thing for me is that I'm not fond of games with a lot of action figures, so SMVE is out. Star Wars probably will have a lot of action figures.

If you are a fan of the GB theme then it seems like a no brainer to me. GB Premium is one of the best games ever made. Not knocking the pro but its considerably better IMO. The subway ramp and magna slings are awesome.

#17 2 years ago

Very tough call. GB Premium and ST Premium are both terrific games. I would lean towards GB.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This says it all. In less than a week, you'll know what Star Wars is like.

I have a slot open and am going to Pinfest to play AS, Alien and Dialed In as well.

#19 2 years ago

It's ok. I read Pinside a lot, I know he sold his GB recently for a $1000 loss. Still, I welcome his opinion.

You know something that I don't then. I've never owned a GB. I cancelled my order before it shipped & got a full refund...so I didn't lose anything. I took that money and gained a Hobbit.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You know something that I don't then. I've never owned a GB. I cancelled my order before it shipped & got a full refund...so I didn't lose anything. I took that money and gained a Hobbit.

My mistake. Sorry I got you guys mixed up.

#21 2 years ago

Go with SMVE awesome pin.

#22 2 years ago

Star Wars may be announced next week, might as well wait at this point. Haste makes waste as I've learned the hard way.

#23 2 years ago

Personally, I would also wait a week for the Star Wars launch.
I own and enjoy both STLE and GBLE; however, based on Pinside, there are many who don't like either, particularly GB.
Regardless, try to get as much playtime as possible on GB & ST to see if you enjoy their gameplay. SW premiums and pros will be available for few years... Plenty of time to hear reviews and test drive it yourself.

#24 2 years ago

I voted Coastbusters
20170428_222840 (resized).jpg

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I took that money and gained a Hobbit.

My condolences...

Rob

#26 2 years ago

AS I own both ST/PRe:GB/PRe,I would hold out for SWPRe!Now,if SW is not the next Stern,I would go with a new "Houdini"or "Dialed In""

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

.so I didn't lose anything. I took that money and gained a Hobbit.

Good decision. Love Hobbit.

#28 2 years ago

ST is pure shooting fun. Warp ramp is the coolest and funnest shot in pinball. Rules progression is a bit lack luster with long ball times. PREM/LE is a must for the whole theme immersion and flow.

GB is starting to show its true colors and camps are starting to divide. While I'm not a fan of it, there is a following. I'd recommend doing some digging into the rules, gameplay, and playing one for yourself before deciding. I'd say go PREM over pro on this one too if you go with it.

Ultimately though; I'd wait it out and see what SW offers.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Personally, I would also wait a week for the Star Wars launch.
I own and enjoy both STLE and GBLE; however, based on Pinside, there are many who don't like either, particularly GB.
Regardless, try to get as much playtime as possible on GB & ST to see if you enjoy their gameplay. SW premiums and pros will be available for few years... Plenty of time to hear reviews and test drive it yourself.

Working with that logic ST is now out of production (it was on last call at the beginning of this year) if SW doesn't deliver and live up to the hype, then ST would be the one to grab, there is plenty of time to grab a GB while it's still in active production that way kozmckpinball can get both ST Prem & GB Prem

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

ST is pure shooting fun. Warp ramp is the coolest and funnest shot in pinball. Rules progression is a bit lack luster with long ball times. PREM/LE is a must for the whole theme immersion and flow.
GB is starting to show its true colors and camps are starting to divide. While I'm not a fan of it, there is a following. I'd recommend doing some digging into the rules, gameplay, and playing one for yourself before deciding. I'd say go PREM over pro on this one too if you go with it.
Ultimately though; I'd wait it out and see what SW offers.

Agree with ST except I prefer the value of the pro. GB is a good game but is frustrating in some ways. I was pretty much set getting one when it first came out but after playing it more than a few times I changed my mind. For that reason, I think it is always good to wait past the hype and get some plays in. I wouldn't buy SW right away either. Wait and see what qc issues Stern is having that month and how the code shapes up. Both GB and SW will be on sale for a long time so no reason to rush.

#31 2 years ago

Wish I'd grabbed a ST Premium before they quit making them. Didn't even realize they'd stopped.

Now distributors are charging extra for any NIB they still have in stock.

Didn't realize I wanted one so badly until playing it on the Stern Pinball Arcade on our XB1.

Wanted to like GB...and maybe it will grow on me, eventually.

Really curious to see if Star Wars is next. If so, I'll have plenty of time to grab one.

#32 2 years ago

I played an STLE at Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham NH last night. I like it. Steve Ritchie seems to keep a similar format to his games, Away Team on ST is like Spidey Sense in SM with the 3rd flipper although Away Team delivers the ball back to the shooter lane and Spidey Sense does not if I recall correctly, but they are both backwards ball paths. Has a standup target bank exposing the middle toy on ST (The Enterprise) like Sandman on SM. I like the metal ramps on STLE\Premium. Gonna be a tough choice as I have not been able to find GB Premium in the wild. I think Steve Ritchie does something similar to ST and SM with SW, 3rd flipper and standup target bank protecting the middle toy, Death Star others have said or the Millennium Falcon.

#33 2 years ago

I played an STLE at Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham NH last night. I like it. Steve Ritchie seems to keep a similar format to his games, Away Team on ST is like Spidey Sense in SM with the 3rd flipper although Away Team delivers the ball back to the shooter lane and Spidey Sense does not if I recall correctly, but they are both backwards ball paths. Has a standup target bank exposing the middle toy on ST (The Enterprise) like Sandman on SM. I think Steve Ritchie does something similar to ST and SM with SW, 3rd flipper and standup target bank protecting the middle toy, Death Star others have said or the Millennium Falcon.

I believe SR has said something along the lines of "you don't need to think or design outside the box when being inside the box is such a fun place to be" and he proves that, although SM & ST have pretty similar layouts they feel and play nothing alike, some of that is down to the physical differences of the games but a lot of it is also down to the code of each game.

Then again that's why it is definitely worth waiting 4 more days for a potential SW tease/reveal from Stern, in case SW is again similar but also the one you must have once you know what all 3 look like and can compare feature lists side by side.

#34 2 years ago

I'm enjoying my GB Premium, but May 4th is less than a week away. I would definitely hold off on making any decision until seeing what Star Wars has to offer.

#35 2 years ago

I voted GB but buy both, I waited about 12 months to buy GB premium, mostly b/c I don't know it existed (In December of 2016). Around January 2017 then had to wait like 3-4 months for new orders to ship.

buy GB now before they stop production/last call, wait 12 months and by SW Premium.

BTW, the latest GB shipments come with new metal side rails on the playfield, no longer wood with vinyl.

#36 2 years ago

Owned ST LE twice... GB prem is still here

I am also waiting for SW but ordering an AS pro tomorrow to kill the waiting time...

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

buy GB now before they stop production/last call, wait 12 months and by SW Premium.

GB came out last year so it will be in production thru 2018 if not longer if they renew it like they did with Metallica.

#38 2 years ago

I voted GB but buy both, I waited about 12 months to buy GB premium, mostly b/c I don't know it existed (In December of 2016). Around January 2017 then had to wait like 3-4 months for new orders to ship.
BTW, the latest GB shipments come with new metal side rails on the playfield, no longer wood with vinyl.

Doo you have pic or link to last part?

#39 2 years ago

Mhhh ... not to vote but i would buy a ST Pro and a SW Pro. Then you have definitly one super Pro and maybe a second one.
If SW is the rocket everyone hopes and you want to upgrade to Premium, sell the two Pro. If not, you hold the ST, sell the SW Pro and wait for the next title.

#40 2 years ago

What do you mean metal side rails?

#41 2 years ago

I fully expect SW Premium to be way more than an ST or GB Premium.

#42 2 years ago

GB will still be in production for 2 more years, if that helps your decision.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Doo you have pic or link to last part?

Quoted from Flato:

What do you mean metal side rails?

GB1 (resized).JPG

GB2 (resized).JPG

GB4 (resized).JPG

GB3 (resized).JPG

GB5 (resized).JPG

#44 2 years ago

Yup gonna wait for Star Wars and see what Steve Ritchie, George Gomez and Dwight Sullivan have up their sleeve. That's my final decision.

#45 2 years ago

Own STLE and had to sell my GBLE after buying day 1 and being caught in the hype for almost a year.

So no to GB premium. It will not last the test of time IMO. Lots of flash but the fire burns out quickly. Great theme, great looking cabinet but the code really gets stale and old fast. You will see the same mode(s) at the start of every game and there really is nothing else to do.

And if you don't get a mode at skill shot you just have to hit the ghost target and go for slimer... every time.

I wouldn't sell my STLE for a shot at SLED or SLEL - and after being caught up and burnt on GBLE I don't know how quick I will jump. I'd hate to see another pretty cabinet with narrow code and wide flipper gap - lol.

Then again I am on the list for SLE just in case. It really does suck to have to commit and pay for an LE way before getting to play and examine the full code. But when I play my new games, I play a lot and I NEED deep code with multiple strategy lines. That's why GB didn't work for me. That and just the poor flow and design of the playfield.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Lots of flash but the fire burns out quickly. Great theme, great looking cabinet but the code really gets stale and old fast. You will see the same mode(s) at the start of every game and there really is nothing else to do.
And if you don't get a mode at skill shot you just have to hit the ghost target and go for slimer... every time.

So true & painful. I own PM which is a linear game so I didn't think GB was going to bother me that much...but goddamn it really does.
The main issue is GB "is a little cheap" with bounces, drains, & shit so the repetitiveness of the repetitive modes being repetitive I think amplifiers the repetitiveness of the repetitions.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Own STLE and had to sell my GBLE after buying day 1 and being caught in the hype for almost a year.
So no to GB premium. It will not last the test of time IMO. Lots of flash but the fire burns out quickly. Great theme, great looking cabinet but the code really gets stale and old fast. You will see the same mode(s) at the start of every game and there really is nothing else to do.
I wouldn't sell my STLE for a shot at SLED or SLEL - and after being caught up and burnt on GBLE I don't know how quick I will jump. I'd hate to see another pretty cabinet with narrow code and wide flipper gap - lol.
Then again I am on the list for SLE just in case. It really does suck to have to commit and pay for an LE way before getting to play and examine the full code. But when I play my new games, I play a lot and I NEED deep code with multiple strategy lines. That's why GB didn't work for me. That and just the poor flow and design of the playfield.

How do you get on the SWLE list?

#48 2 years ago

How do you get on the SWLE list?

Contact your distributor. Just like GB, they are all happy to get a list going before the game is released.

#49 2 years ago

Waouw those metal lanes looks like a great upgrade

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Vinosky:

Skip the Sterns and get yourself a more valuable Bally/Williams timeless Original themed collectible machine. Maybe get 2 for the price of one Stern. Just my 2 cents.

Lolz!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 218.00
$ 199.99
$ 26.50
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 199.99
$ 49.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Machine - For Sale
High Bridge, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside