Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AC386F69-15E9-48DF-9495-E5FAD0204B82 (resized).jpeg
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

I had both games on my wish list, but between the GB flipper gap/airballs and the barren playfield on SW I opted for Dialed in instead.

#52 5 years ago

I have a GBLE and I really like it. Honestly I thought Star Wars was boring. The premium ramp that runs right in front of the flippers and slings is very annoying to me

#53 5 years ago

Well for me, this comes down to the question of picking an OK game over one that sucks. So I’d pass, next question.

However, pressed to choose, I’d pick Star Wars. The “OK” game.

#54 5 years ago

At today's nib prices a game has to be pretty spectacular for me to purchase it. I would pass on purchasing most of the games in my collection at todays nib prices. The cost to entertainment gap is just too much these days.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from frankmac:

Gb premium or LE. Pro if it’s 4k or less.

Or just go with Iron Maiden or TNA.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trooper11040:

So I played Star Wars as I said and it seemed decent for the amount of play I had on it. Maybe I’ll do a different game entirely?

There’s a lot to pick from.

ST, SM, Tron, IM, Metallica pro if you like excellent pinball machines. AC386F69-15E9-48DF-9495-E5FAD0204B82 (resized).jpegAC386F69-15E9-48DF-9495-E5FAD0204B82 (resized).jpeg

#57 5 years ago

SW is a dream theme but the game is pretty terrible. GB is also a dream them and I don't understand all the hate it garners. GB is by far the better game.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

At today's nib prices a game has to be pretty spectacular for me to purchase it. I would pass on purchasing most of the games in my collection at todays nib prices. The cost to entertainment gap is just too much these days.

It’s a bit wonky, I got a Woz RR plus RadCals which would’ve been $9800 nib but lucky that I got one slightly used for well less.

#59 5 years ago

I own both (well Premium versions of both) and I would probably say SW.

#60 5 years ago

I like GB pro more than SW pro. But, I like SW premium more than GB pro and GB premium.

#61 5 years ago

Tough crowd. I like playing GB premium on location, but I choose to get a SW premium instead. I feel I made the right choice for myself. SW gets played at my house the most, even when guests stop by.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It’s a bit wonky, I got a Woz RR plus RadCals which would’ve been $9800 nib but lucky that I got one slightly used for well less.

Well if he’s got $10k to spend he could buy both SW Pro and GB Pro. Case closed.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

Star Wars by a long shot. I honestly don’t know if code can fix Ghostbusters. That flipper gap is frustrating as hell.

Install slightly longer flippers on GB. Problem solved. Much more fun to play now. It takes some time to dial GB in (most locations just don’t take the time), but is a
    lot of fun when tailored to your needs. I’d pick it over Star Wars any day.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

Install slightly longer flippers on GB. Problem solved. Much more fun to play now. It takes some time to dial GB in (most locations just don’t take the time), but is a
    lot of fun when tailored to your needs. I’d pick it over Star Wars any day.

Is there a fix for the outlane bounce too? That could win a few more folks over.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Is there a fix for the outlane bounce too? That could win a few more folks over.

Later run games have the inlane rails raised higher. You can manually raise yours on older games or use these:

https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/ghost-busters/products/ghostbusters-pinball-slimer-lane-guards

I got this and the airball plastic from Modfather in green. I like the look.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

More

Yup. Mezel Mods sells higher rails for the outlanes. I got clear plastics for that area that don’t look bad and do the job. The need for these fixes are kind of annoying, but make a huge difference. I’ve had my GB Premium for over a year in a small collection and don’t see it going anywhere any time soon.

#67 5 years ago

Yes the problem is you have to go out of your way to "fix" the shitty game he designed. Too busy looking at kiddies instead of designing a good game for the 3rd time in your career? The prem+ at least has the slings and a ramp...the pro was pretty much a complete and utter waste

#68 5 years ago

if Dwight will soon finish the GB code, i would than go for this one, without a doubt
    if...

#69 5 years ago

I'm in the vast minority, I like GB more than SW. That being said, I am getting a GOTG.

#70 5 years ago

Star wars feels like every other stern.
    GB is the most unique layout stern has. If it didn't have a larger flipper gap your games would be 30 minutes.

#71 5 years ago

I know I’m in the minority but I’d take a gb over sw. Something about the gb theme song just pulls me in. I also like the scoleri brothers pop up targets and the way you advance by collecting ghosts etc. Plus slimer is hella fun to bash around and the storage facility multiball light and sound effects make me feel like Ive accomplished something besides wasting my time and money on Pinball lol. Honestly they are both fun but sw mainly has better light shows more modes and more nostalgic call outs. The super jackpot call out on gb is a bit tired. Disclaimer I own both.

#72 5 years ago

It sometimes really interesting how much opinions vary. I vehemently disagree with some of the opinions, but it is all subjective so trying to argue anyone into a different viewpoint is kind of pointless. The best takeaway as usual is to play both games yourself and pick the one you like better. They are 'ranked' about equally in the top 100 so there probably isn't any consensus about which is better. Who doesn't love a good argument though

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Who doesn't love a good argument though

#74 5 years ago

I already stated in this thread that I own both, and I’d pick SW, but I just wanted to say in GB’s defense that the flipper gap has never bothered me at all. My beef with the game is almost exclusively related to the linear code, and the feeling of deja vu that it inevitably injects into nearly every play.

That said, reaching and beating the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is one of my proudest pinball accomplishments.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I already stated in this thread that I own both, and I’d pick SW, but I just wanted to say in GB’s defense that the flipper gap has never bothered me at all. My beef with the game is almost exclusively related to the linear code, and the feeling of deja vu that it inevitably injects into nearly every play.
    That said, reaching and beating the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is one of my proudest pinball accomplishments.

It's kind of a bummer that the later modes like Stay Puft are WAY more fun than the mini wizard mode WCWS. WCWS is as basic as it gets for any kind of multiball mode. It's suckage twin is Hyperspace multiball in Star Wars.

Rob

#76 5 years ago

New code is coming soon and hopefully addresses these issues.

1 week later
    #77 5 years ago

Yep... the only prob in your sentence is how you would define the word "soon"...

#78 5 years ago

Nip It! for the win.

#79 5 years ago

haha ive been going back and forth...i have the $$ in hand ready to buy...just need to make the right choice!

#80 5 years ago

GB Premium vote for me, the music, the ecto topper, side art blades, accessory's firehouse & walking stay puff = pinball magic!

With the promise of new code coming for GB, ColorDMD coming soon as well, really looking forward to an epic pin.

I might pick up a SW in the future, before the supreme court new ruling dings us for out state tax.

#81 5 years ago

I reviewed SW when it came out.

To me it was a disappointing, repetitive snoozefest that exemplifies cost cutting when ya paid too much for the license. Totally barren of any fun toys Imho.

GB was frustrating but I keep going back to it to beat it. A good game on GB is worth a dozen plays on SW.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

To me it was a disappointing, repetitive snoozefest that exemplifies cost cutting when ya paid too much for the license. Totally barren of any fun toys Imho.
    GB was frustrating but I keep going back to it to beat it. A good game on GB is worth a dozen plays on SW.

Wow don’t hold back at all, say what’s on your mind.

#83 5 years ago

I just bought the walking stay puff for my premium. Its a birthday present to myself .

#84 5 years ago

I say play both more before you buy. Not that you can't get rid of one or the other but loosing money is not fun.

When i saw Star Wars-stern-le and thought good finally a good starwars game . Now having played all the starwars pinball's so far. I had thought the pin2000 Star Wars Episode I was a turd/joke followed by the Star Wars Trilogy one then Star Wars but after playing the new stern one i going to have to say it's possably worse then the Sega one. The stern one seems like a cut rate job. 2 pop bumpers and a rubber to fake the 3rd one really that cheap. They put the least amount of stuff in to the game as possible to max out their bang for the buck. They did a good job with the art on the game not the usual photo shop slop job. But play is blah and the death star ramp as neat as it is it doesn't help it enough. I still play this game elsewhere when i see it hoping it gets better. Seeing it was a let down for me I went and got the better one a data-east game Star Wars with new ROM this is a better game.

Bought Ghostbusters (Premium)-le new in box and yes i do have a love/hate for the game can be a total crap game but then you get the good one and keep coming back for more. Does the ladder mode bug me yes but i figure at some point this will be fixed by stern or the pinball fan base. The fans already fixed the music issues. I did the center post plastic assembly with lane protectors helps some but it still gets by more then I like.

So heads up you me want to take the new starwars game it's going to cost a Bad Girls and a Hollywood Heat.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

This is how I felt whenever I played SW on location. Then, I took one in on a glimpse of hope that perhaps the players that support this game were onto something. And you know what, they were! It just goes to show that synergy with layout + rules can really bring a game to the next level. I understand, this style of game isn't for everybody, but I still stand with what ive posted earlier in this thread....

Quoted from Eskaybee:

TLDR: SW for the win. It’s uborthodox ruleset is fantastic for home use play.
    I wasn’t a fan of SW but gave it a chance and glad I did. I honestly believe that Any real players out there that don’t like SW just don’t understand the rules; and rightfully so! The rules are complex at first. Once you learn the meanings of each colored light and the sound effects for each hurry up, the game becomes so much easier to understand. Then, you can focus on the rest of the rules and strategies.
    My advice to people who don’t know the rules is stick the multipliers on Death Star and Endor and leave them alone. Next, play only one character and focus on one group of missions (i.e. Death Star missions). Once you get those 3 modes down, move onto the next planet. Rest of rules will follow fairly quickly. But be warned it takes a good dozen games to understand missions and probably 30-40 games to start picking up on the rest. It really makes it a fantastic HUO pin.
    Now; once you got the rules down. You get to choose your paths/characters. Then you get to pick strategies and how you want to stack multiballs and if you can pull off those multiballs.
    Still want more!?!? Time to have fun with the multipliers. I’m having a blast turning them off (and leaving them off) during hectic multiballs then turning them on once I see the multiplier on a shot that’s worth value.
    Still want more!?!? 4 planet wizard modes each with its own built in wizard mode (victory multiball) to earn medals. Not only that but each planet multiball can be a 2-6 ball multiball depending how you played leading up to it.
    Anyone who knocks the rules of SW simply doesn’t understand the rules so they take the easy out and say it’s convulted hence must suck. Learn better!

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-or-star-wars/page/2?hl=screaminsauce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.