Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AC386F69-15E9-48DF-9495-E5FAD0204B82 (resized).jpeg
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Ok so I’m going to buy a second pin for my collections. I’ve played Star Wars pro in the Hershey Park arcade many times the last few weeks and it’s fun...I think it was the pro. I only played GB once at Pinfest in Allentown, PA...so GB or Star Wars and why? Thanks!!!

#2 5 years ago

Own a SW and have probably 50 plays on my friends GB. SW has good shot geometry, plays fast, difficult, display is nice. GB has more toys, unique layout, but shot geometry is off in my opinion. It’s harder to hit shots than it should be. So it’s frustrating to play. My 2 cents.

#3 5 years ago

SW is a little blah. I keep playing it trying to like it but I just can't. I have a GB at my location and while it's far from perfect, it can make for some very exciting games.

#4 5 years ago

Uff man i don;t want to go too deep down this road but GB for me was just not a good game in any way other than looks & sound; Fastest game I've ever sold. The layout is just not well done...1.5 ramps, gap, jumping balls...and that's before the linear shit that actually got to me when I didn't think it would...etc etc

SW is super fast and fun but if you're a real "star wars bed sheet" type of guy the lack of dolls may upset you.

#5 5 years ago

When comparing a game to Ghostbusters, the answer is always the game that isn’t ghostbusters.

The same is true in this case. Star Wars is a good game to play.

#6 5 years ago

Do you want to figure out the multipliers and turn them off, move them around, then turn them back on? Then Star Wars (Pro) is the game for you.

Prefer excellent art and a DMD? Ghostbusters (Pro) is the clear winner.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Prefer excellent art and a DMD? Ghostbusters (Pro) is the clear winner.

Ha...yeah this sort of sums it up perfectly. I might phrase it a little diff'rent but all the parts are there.

#8 5 years ago

Is "No" an option? If not, anything is better than Ghostbusters.

#9 5 years ago

So I played Star Wars as I said and it seemed decent for the amount of play I had on it. Maybe I’ll do a different game entirely?

#10 5 years ago

SW all the way. Fast, smooth Steve Ritchie layout, top-notch code by Dwight, cool and very unique strategies with the mobile bonus multipliers, great sound and lighting. People were salty that it's not festooned with toys but it plays great regardless.

GB has an awesome theme and sound and a killer Zombie Yeti art package, but it isn't nearly as much fun to play. The number of clunky shots is frustrating, and the wide flipper gap and hop-scotch outlane drains can be a pretty serious bummer for newer players.

But like YeOldPinPlayer said, if you're buying it to look at it rather than to play it, GB is the clear winner.

#11 5 years ago

Can't stand Star Wars, which is a shame, because pinball needs a good Star Wars pin. We'll keep waiting for that to happen. I would pick Ghostbusters, but only if you're ok with a game that will punish you every time you miss a shot. With the flipper gap, misses are super dangerous.

The code on Star Wars is baaaaaaalls. Needlessly convoluted and a total mismatch for the layout. The layout, however, isn't awful, but it is problematic in many ways.

I would pass on both for now and keep playing other games. Neither game floats to the top of recent releases, though I would easily prefer Ghostbusters. We'll see what the eventual code update does for it as well.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

SW is super fast and fun but if you're a real "star wars bed sheet" type of guy the lack of dolls may upset you.

Ground zero right here

Quoted from jar155:

Can't stand Star Wars, which is a shame....

#13 5 years ago

Lack of toys isn't an issue. Lack of cohesive design between game and code is.

#14 5 years ago

SW is a good to great game that I regularly go out into the world to feed quarters because it's fun.

GB is a game that sits in my living room and doesn't ever get turned on because it's mostly garbage.

FT: GB for SW anyone?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Lack of toys isn't an issue. Lack of cohesive design between game and code is.

No believe me I almost put this one in whatever it means

Quoted from jar155:

Needlessly convoluted and a total mismatch for the layout.

It's more aboot the bedsheets angle than the toys.

#16 5 years ago

I've owned both. GB was a dream theme for me, but the ruleset got boring quick. The flipper gap was frustrating because way too many cheap drains because of it.

Star Wars has a much better layout and more exciting shots to make. I am a fan of the code because it's more dynamic and doesn't feel like the same exact game on each plunge like GB.

I am not even a big Star wars theme fan and absolutely love Ghostbusters - and I'll tell you to get SW instead. GB the pinball was a total failure which was a bummer to me.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No believe me I almost put this one in whatever it means

It means don't pair a breakneck speed design with a game that demands you to constantly track crap going on with the screen, move stuff with an action button, and have shots that don't have enough inserts to indicate everything going on. There's too much happening at once for a game that plays that fast. People just say, "ignore the multipliers and just play" if you don't like that action button. That sucks too.

Game of Thrones got the pace to complexity ratio so much more correct than Star Wars did. Star Wars went way too far into the amount of crap going on at once side of things. That might have worked with a game with more stops or more longer returns to flipper.

Anyway, not really the point of this thread. I would still urge the OP to look at other games first.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It means don't pair a breakneck speed design with a game that demands you to constantly track crap going on with the screen, move stuff with an action button, and have shots that don't have enough inserts to indicate everything going on. There's too much happening at once for a game that plays that fast. People just say, "ignore the multipliers and just play" if you don't like that action button. That sucks too.
    Game of Thrones got the pace to complexity ratio so much more correct than Star Wars did. Star Wars went way too far into the amount of crap going on at once side of things. That might have worked with a game with more stops or more longer returns to flipper.
    Anyway, not really the point of this thread. I would still urge the OP to look at other games first.

One thing I love about SW is the breakneck speeds paired with complex code. That's what makes it so much better than GB to me.

But that's why pinball is so great - who cares what I think - the op needs to play both and draw his conclusions...

It's like me trying to tell someone why vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate lol

#19 5 years ago

The action button whine is WAY overplayed.

I move my multipliers to hyperspace/Endor shot and leave them there all game.

Wow. Super taxing on the old noggin.

Really not a big deal. Fast, fun, flowy game with a playfield that while isn’t innovative is perfectly adequate with nice shots.

Exact opposite of GB.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

One thing I love about SW is the breakneck speeds paired with complex code. That's what makes it so much better than GB to me. But that's why pinball is so great - who cares what I think - the op needs to play both and draw his conclusions... It's like me trying to tell someone why vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate lol

Precisely, except you accidently reversed the ice cream flavors in your metaphor.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow. Super taxing on the old noggin.
    Really not a big deal. Fast, fun, flowy game with a playfield that while isn’t innovative is perfectly adequate with nice shots.
    Exact opposite of GB.

The action button is awesome!

Only thing I don't like about SW is the Asteroid mini game. It's the only thing I can complain about it.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

More More
    Precisely, except you accidently reversed the ice cream flavors in your metaphor.

Hahahaha

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It means don't pair a breakneck speed design with a game that demands you to constantly track crap going on with the screen, move stuff with an action button, and have shots that don't have enough inserts to indicate everything going on. There's too much happening at once for a game that plays that fast.

Haha...so the game is too much for you eh? That fast paced action is why so many people love it.
    never noticed it was missing inserts.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's def a way to do it. I like the idea that moving them around when the multipliers are large, but it can bone you and work against you which is the fun part.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha...so the game is too much for you eh? That fast paced action is why so many people love it.
    never noticed it was missing inserts.

No, it's just dumb. At least the spinner makes a cool sound though.

#25 5 years ago

I bought both NIB .... I like GB better, though you can't go wrong with SW. Either is a great game to own

#26 5 years ago

Agree with above...
    Both games are killer themes. GB shows some innovation (slings) and when the new code is released, I reckon it will be a game to own

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Agree with above...
    Both games are killer themes. GB shows some innovation (slings) and when the new code is released, I reckon it will be a game to own

Wow then that better be some kick ass new code!

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead1982:

GB shows some innovation (slings) ....

yeah I couldn't tell if you was looking for just Pros or not. The Prem+ GB is def better than the pro.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Own a SW and have probably 50 plays on my friends GB. SW has good shot geometry, plays fast, difficult, display is nice. GB has more toys, unique layout, but shot geometry is off in my opinion. It’s harder to hit shots than it should be. So it’s frustrating to play. My 2 cents.

Pretty much sums up my opinion. I was pretty excited about GB at launch. Looked like a great game with the right features. After playing it a lot, my opinion has totally changed. Really don't like playing it now. Things just don't feel right and more frustrations than anything. Every one I play seems to have it's own issues and plays very different. SW was the opposite. I didn't think much of it at launch. Looked stripped down and basic. However, after playing it for a bit and learning some rules I really enjoy it. Not perfect but still a really fun game. I wouldn't buy one nib, though. It seems like a great game to wait for a good used price in a few years.

#30 5 years ago

Ill prob buy a premium of whatever title I decide to get

#31 5 years ago

TLDR: SW for the win. It’s uborthodox ruleset is fantastic for home use play.

I wasn’t a fan of SW but gave it a chance and glad I did. I honestly believe that Any real players out there that don’t like SW just don’t understand the rules; and rightfully so! The rules are complex at first. Once you learn the meanings of each colored light and the sound effects for each hurry up, the game becomes so much easier to understand. Then, you can focus on the rest of the rules and strategies.

My advice to people who don’t know the rules is stick the multipliers on Death Star and Endor and leave them alone. Next, play only one character and focus on one group of missions (i.e. Death Star missions). Once you get those 3 modes down, move onto the next planet. Rest of rules will follow fairly quickly. But be warned it takes a good dozen games to understand missions and probably 30-40 games to start picking up on the rest. It really makes it a fantastic HUO pin.

Now; once you got the rules down. You get to choose your paths/characters. Then you get to pick strategies and how you want to stack multiballs and if you can pull off those multiballs.

Still want more!?!? Time to have fun with the multipliers. I’m having a blast turning them off (and leaving them off) during hectic multiballs then turning them on once I see the multiplier on a shot that’s worth value.

Still want more!?!? 4 planet wizard modes each with its own built in wizard mode (victory multiball) to earn medals. Not only that but each planet multiball can be a 2-6 ball multiball depending how you played leading up to it.

Anyone who knocks the rules of SW simply doesn’t understand the rules so they take the easy out and say it’s convulted hence must suck. Learn better!

#32 5 years ago

I personally would not sell my GB Prem to get a SW Prem......... My reasoning is I have toooo many other games that have the same type of fan layout that I prefer much more than SW.

Not that I think either one is better than the other but I feel SW is the same old same old same old and GB give a very unique playing experience with much cooler stuff.

#33 5 years ago

SW all day, everyday and twice on Sunday.

*For future reference, play a game (GB in this case) more than once before you consider dropping thousands on it*

#34 5 years ago

Buy a SM or ST over SW ..... Better game with more toys and it run on the rock solid SAM system. You have TWD so a nice fan layout would fit well.

#35 5 years ago

Iron Maiden

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff man i don;t want to go too deep down this road but GB for me was just not a good game in any way other than looks & sound; Fastest game I've ever sold. The layout is just not well done...1.5 ramps, gap, jumping balls...and that's before the linear shit that actually got to me when I didn't think it would...etc etc

I agree. The game can be a frustrating experience with the big flipper gap and unfair ball hops into the outlanes. But the lackluster wizard modes sealed the deal for me. WCWS was just boring to play, nothing to achieve.

Rob

#37 5 years ago

I was going to say get walking dead instead till I saw you had it, There are so many better games than these two. Iron Maiden, Metallica or a host of bally/williams.

#38 5 years ago

I own both and enjoy both for different reasons. SW if you like fast, flowy games with depth. GB if you like colorful, mode-based stop & go.

#39 5 years ago

I’d rather wash bedsheets than play either, unless if there are no other pins to play.

One thing GB isn’t, is fun.

#40 5 years ago

I have Premiums of both games, and while I enjoy both of them, Star Wars is the clear winner IMO.

SW is just more of an adrenaline rush, and with the different character paths, each game feels fresh and varied.

GB Prem is one of the best looking machines out there, but the linear code can make it feel awfully “samey” from game to game. I’m hoping Stern considers that fact with their final code update, but I’m not holding my breath. I think GB would get old fast in a small lineup.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I find the the screen info and inserts and moving the multiplier to be pretty easy to understand; a lot easier than a lot of DMD games that I find much harder to decipher the rules because of a lot less explanation is occurring. On older games, I shoot the blinky light because there isn't much explanation of the rules going on unless I read online and memorize them. Start Wars explicitly tells me what's going on most of the time. As long as I catch and hold the ball a moment to take my shot or move a multiplier or read the screen when the game takes a momentary pause, I think it is easy to understand and I completely don't understand the "there's too much happening at once". I don't consider myself a very good player but I'm really having a lot of fun with Star Wars and had a blast getting 1.4 billion on a game which I know is a lot lower score than most everyone else.

I was going to buy GB at Allentown in 2017, but my entire family played it and hated it. I hated the huge flipper gap. The game was pretty but annoying.
    Bought a Shrek instead. Still like Shrek better to this day.

#42 5 years ago

Star Wars.

#43 5 years ago

Star Wars by a long shot. I honestly don’t know if code can fix Ghostbusters. That flipper gap is frustrating as hell.

#44 5 years ago

You can't go wrong either way.
    Both pins get a ton of hate here on pinside. Both can be very difficult and also rewarding. You HAVE to move them both. Both will make you want to punch the glass sometimes. Both are good games though IMO. Great lightshows. Great audio. I bought both NIB (premiums). I highly recommend premiums for these. The pros are just lacking.
    Having said all that, I would give the edge to SW.

#45 5 years ago

The thing is with GB is it's pretty cool when you first buy it and have fun learning the ruleset. After a few weeks when you've learned the entire game, you may say "well, shit... That's ??" Once you start hearing "Who Brought the Dog?" Mode start for the billionith time.

With SW, as time goes on- you'll master the rule set, but the high speed action of the playfield will assure you that you will keep coming back to finally win that mode.

Completing modes is satisfying on SW, and completing modes on GB is like grinding away at a ladder to hopefully hit the better modes. The problem is, the JT flipper gap makes it frustratingly difficult, in a cheap type of way.

#46 5 years ago

GB is the worst stern since Mustang, anything else is better

disclaimer: Haven't played Wrestlemania......wouldn't dare to touch that pin even with a stick

#47 5 years ago

I’ll go against the grain and vote GB. Yes, the flipper gap is a little wider, airballs can be an issue, outlines are nasty and who brought the dog is annoying, but once you address the airballs, I find the game to be pretty fun. New code is coming so hopefully it fixes a few things. SW was just too barren for me and it seemed as though the lcd was wasted. It’s a fun game and you do get that push start again feeling, but it just didn’t do anything for me overall. I traded my woz for a gb and I play the gb much more than I ever played woz.

#48 5 years ago

Gb premium or LE. Pro if it’s 4k or less.

#49 5 years ago

I enjoy both! SW for fast and flow-ey with strategy and GB for a mean hard game.

#50 5 years ago

Where is the poll?

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-or-star-wars/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.