(Topic ID: 164970)

Gb le/ prem ..the new standard in pinball ?

By bigd1979

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Lol I know it dont mean anything as its just opinions but the hype is real and its now the number one on pinside . Its crazy to see what good theme and artwork can do for a pins popularity . Gotta love the pinside hype train for new pins

#2 7 years ago

LOL, ah NO!

#3 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#4 7 years ago

Poor mm and tz ..... lol

#5 7 years ago

It's just on the leading edge of the Derek Musket curve. You know...the excitement vs. time curve of any new game. It plots the excitement level of any newly acquired Stern game for the two weeks before it's listed up for sale.

#6 7 years ago

It is nice to see a different game on top,I know that other stern games have been there before only for a short while but I really think gble/pre may stay there because it is the whole package,super fun,best toys,sound and art is all killer so we will see

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

It's just on the leading edge of the Derek Musket curve. You know...the excitement vs. time curve of any new game. It plots the excitement level of any newly acquired Stern game for the two weeks before it's listed up for sale.

Thats funny right there

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

It is nice to see a different game on top,I know that other stern games have been there before only for a short while but I really think gble/pre may stay there because it is the whole package,super fun,best toys,sound and art is all killer so we will see

It is refreshing but its way to early to tell as everyone is in the honeymoon stage . Its a good looking pin for sure with nice theme but im still iffy about the code and gameplay experience.

#9 7 years ago

A lot of people seem to ignore the fact that most Stern games get bashed mercilessly when they first are announce and first pictures come out. This game is the exception and not the rule when it comes to Pinside. It is a very impressive game. No denying that.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

A lot of people seem to ignore the fact that most Stern games get bashed mercilessly when they first are announce and first pictures come out. This game is the exception and not the rule when it comes to Pinside. It is a very impressive game. No denying that.

Not all ... met and few others didnt get hammered to bad . Seems if pin has decent artwork and toys it gets hyped alot even before it gets played lol.

#11 7 years ago

Yes, GB is now the standard by which all others are judged. It is the best playing and looking game ever made, and proud owners of LEs have already seen their investment pay off in dividends. The only question for LE owners is - do you open it and enjoy it for a few months before selling at a massive profit, or do you do it now?

That GB will outsell The Addams Family is now all but a formality.

#12 7 years ago

#wheresthecode

#13 7 years ago

There are only 20 ratings... Put in one bad one, and it drops in the list quickly.

#14 7 years ago

I brought my first game home in 2003 and this is the most fun I've had with a new pin. Only time will tell how I and others feel about it, but I think an argument could be made that this is as good as pinball gets.

The theme and theme integration is excellent. The layout provides a lot to shoot for at very different depths and angles. There are tight and challenging shots. The callouts are great with custom callouts with a major actor from the movie, clips from the movie, cool sounds effects, and the sound quality out of the box is great. The artwork is my favorite of all time. The toys are awesome overall and it has some things we haven't seen before, like in magna slings and the subway ramp. All the modes have their own feel and music and rules that make them distinct. The light show is crazy.

I wish it had an LCD, the video mode is boring, and the code needs some tweaks. (overall, I really like the code out of the box...it's deep and challenging)

Is it perfect? No, but to me, everything comes together in a complete package and it's as good as it gets in my opinion.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

There are only 20 ratings... Put in one bad one, and it drops in the list quickly.

. All pinball is fun and everyone just has preferences but no pin deserves a 0 or super low ratings imo. All pinball machines have a person they fit whether it be bc of the art, theme, gameplay, cost , designer, layout, nolstalgic factor , manufacturer and many other reasons.

#16 7 years ago

I dont think it sets a new standard....I think it is an exception.

Refreshingly new Artwork, Check....But cant be this way with every new game....wed get tired of it too!

Theme, Timed or Lucky, hard to have a game released at the same time as a Movie. A standard...love to see this always, but not likely.
Theme again. Family oriented, mass appeal. With the movie, I saw kids yesterday playing Ghostbusters make believe among themselves. Very Universal appeal. Nice to be a "Standard", but with Music Pins, and other themes, it can limit the audience.

Music. Exceptional quality and integration, I believe and hope its a new standard.

Gameplay: Awesome, as its new...Code to come, unknown. Up to the designer, hard to say if these innovations will peculate to the next few tables.
Build quality: Debatable, for those that had playfield issues. Its nice to be "Perfect", but almost impossible.

In all, after playing 100 plus games, its a winner, no doubt, and those waiting on a Premium are so lucky! Get Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is one great Ride, and a fun pin among friends, kids, family, and newbies.

I think like Music, and Movies, this Game raises the Bar, as will an LCD on next game.

Standard? I hope so for many things, but I doubt it.

What things would you/others like to see moved forward from this game to the next?

Magna Slings? A Video Target Display?

All of the above, as standard, is just my opinion....not meant to upset anyone.....

#17 7 years ago

Setting a new standard doesn't really fit GB as it's just another game, but done very well - GB just happened to nail it and is a winner.

If you want to talk about a "new standard", look to the next game when Stern adds a color DMD/Display - that really will be a new standard.

#18 7 years ago

Yea its nice but definitely not the new standard imo but im sure people will expect this kind of pin here on out ....especially for the money we pay for these toys lol.

#19 7 years ago

With all of 20 reviews. Yeah it is the best. SMH..

#20 7 years ago

Ate the LE still selling for 9300 or above?

Getting ready to take mine out if the box.

#21 7 years ago

Hopefully the artwork is the new standard. I'm very happy for the artist, Jeremy Packer (Zombie Yeti), especially after he and others got screwed in the dumpster fire started by John Popadiuk.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Hopefully the artwork is the new standard. I'm very happy for the artist, Jeremy Packer (Zombie Yeti), especially after he and others got screwed in the dumpster fire started by John Popadiuk.

I agree hes very good and so is dd .... hopefully these to are the go to peeps for every future pin

#23 7 years ago

Hopefully the playfield issues go away tho.....

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Hopefully the playfield issues go away tho.....

There is no hopefully to it, IMO.

If Stern doesn't resolve that issue I don't see how their future pin sales don't take a hit, especially the Prem/LEs. regardless of how good the pin is. It is sad that they won't actually address the issues they are having. Reminds me of a bad politician.

#25 7 years ago

If this is the new standard, then it won't be long before pinball finally goes under for good..

Any more crappy, tired, unimaginative themes like this, then it it will probably be for the best when it does.

#26 7 years ago

Umm.....20 votes to over 17 hundred? Better slow that roll for at least a few years......anxious to play one, however...

#27 7 years ago

If you mean by crap clearcoat, lifting inserts...yeah then I guess you are right that GB is the new standard. And I don't want any part of it if that is the case.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

If you mean by crap clearcoat, lifting inserts...yeah then I guess you are right that GB is the new standard. And I don't want any part of it if that is the case.

They had me at GB...

#29 7 years ago

Pre-order, pump, then dump.

..the new standard in pinball.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:Pre-order, pump, then dump.

..the new standard in pinball.

Once the novelty wears off, the market will be flooded with all these pricey, antiquated licensed themed machines that not many except the hardcore fan will want or care about and the value will be like so many Johnny Mnemonics.

#31 7 years ago

It's fun for awhile, but I'd rather play some of the other new Sterns honestly. Even though it can feel like a chore to play, it sure is pretty to look at, which is what half of Pinside seems to want to do anyway

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That GB will outsell The Addams Family is now all but a formality.

Hahahahahaha. Levi, you kill me!

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

it sure is pretty to look at,

Compared to what? I just don't see it. Looks like garbage pail kids.

I wouldn't let that eyesore into my house, let alone pay for one.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Compared to what? I just don't see it. Looks like garbage pail kids.
I wouldn't let that eyesore into my house, let alone pay for one.

Seriously, will you do us all a favor and play the game, post a review, and rating and knock GB off its block

I like the theme as much as the next 30 something, the music sounds cool (super repetitive though) and the game looks great, but I want to read the reviews from the fellows that go at it with a really scrutinizing eye and not a fanboy love squirt

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Seriously, will you do us all a favor and play the game, post a review, and knock GB off its block
I like the theme as much as the next 30 something, the music sounds cool (super repetitive though) and the game looks great, but I want to read the reviews from the fellows that go at it with a really scrutinizing eye and not a fanboy love squirt

Well in that case, let me tell you that while I'm not a fan of the theme and I think the artwork looks like it was done in a middle school art contest, I played a good long game of it in a quiet hall at Pintastic and thought it was wonderful. A hell of a lot of fun. Just when I thought I'd seen it all, the Scolari targets popped up. There were shots I didn't realize were there until I hit them, and as much fun as the pro is, I can only imagine how much better the premium/LE will be. I didn't feel the flipper gap was too big, and I didn't ever feel cheated by the game (such as the ball skipping over into the outlane).

It'll never see the inside of my house since I can't bear to look at it, but I look forward to playing somebody else's soon.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Seriously, will you do us all a favor and play the game, post a review, and knock GB off its block

I'll have my chance to play it soon enough. The layout looks strong, and the flipper gap right up my alley. But the theme kills it for me ever wanting to own one.

I have gotten very picky about what I bring into this house as I have to look at them every day. And this wouldn't make the cut. But I will play it. Theme matters a lot to me in what I buy. Not that anybody cares what I like or not, but my opinion is as valid as the next guys.
Noone can expect everybody to like what they do.

That being said I will judge the gameplay for what it is, but geometry only goes so far without a likeable theme.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Noone can expect everybody to like what they do.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

Noone is older than Ghostbusters. But lets just say they are both past their prime.

#39 7 years ago

Im actually surprised people dont like the art ... i think its a good looking pin with vibrant colors. But like anything everyone likes different things , especially art is very very subjective.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Im actually surprised people dont like the art ... i think its a good looking pin with vibrant colors.

The subject matter doesn't help much.

To me it looks like somebody drew a cartoon of a movie he happened to see some 30 odd years ago and is trying to pass it off as a masterpiece. Then they throw on an $8000 price tag while the the artist is still alive. It also doesn't help that the subject matter is old, but not old enough or historical enough to be classic.

#41 7 years ago

GB LE rated as the #1 game, by who?
Premiums have not even been built or shipped.
Less than several hundred LE machine have been received to distributors and not even all owners have received their games.
Who exactly has played this machine, other than the handful at the Stern factory and a few select owners?
Do people really expect that GB will become that "greatest game in pinball history"?
If people keep wanking off this hard, they are going to pull a muscle.

Where were the same people interested or involved in this industry when TAF came out?
What about T2?
Or TZ?
Did any of them actually OWN a pinball machine, let alone rank one?

Nothing new regarding standards I see from either the selling point regarding owners or operators, except reduction in game quality courtesy of Stern and additional price testing projected on uninformed buyers.
"Pay more for less". Operators are becoming increasingly unhappy.
In those respects, both are considered the "new standard" and will remain so until the next market stall.

Owners are starting to slowly smarten up again and realize that "two for the price of one" BLY/WMS machines is a good deal against one NIB Stern or JJP. Even buying older Stern Whitestar machines from the early 2000s is a better deal. We are talking about the "core audience", not external buyers that have a general interest in pinball.

The "hype train" gets completely derailed over and over again when buyers run out of money, the cost of games tips past the economy, or in this direct case when Stern/JJP goes too far price testing while reducing basic game features like interlock switches, lock bars, rails, screened cabinet artwork, power supplies, fake backglasses, and other basic construction. The list is actually getting quite extensive, and turning things in a home model machine with lack of durability.
More things come OUT, than than go IN regarding entire game designs.
This process happens with ALL game manufacturers, when they start "testing the waters".

If people don't believe me, watch the market in the next two years.

#42 7 years ago

I own a number of machines in the top 40 and in my opinion it's the best of the lot.
The honeymoon period doesn't last long for me so I rated it once it passed.
The only standard I see is decline of quality no doubt for profit margins.
It's all subjective as is the art, my opinion differs to others as I love it!

#43 7 years ago

I remember when XMLE was number 1 too.

#44 7 years ago

Well, number one or not, I'm simply looking forward to playing one for crying out loud. Still waiting on my LE. Local buddy got his last week but have not had the chance to play it yet.

Well, XMLE is a good looking machine with a good theme too so there most likely is something to the hype train based on those two things alone. I'm guessing time will tell.

#45 7 years ago

So has anyone complained that they should have gone with photo-realistic art yet? Ha! GB is so much better than the competition's new pins it isn't even funny. And you can actually buy one for less than $5K They need to figure out their production quality issues, but other than that, GB pin is a winner.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So has anyone complained that they should have gone with photo-realistic art yet? Ha! GB is so much better than the competition's new pins it isn't even funny. And you can actually buy one for less than $5K They need to figure out their production quality issues, but other than that, GB pin is a winner.

Yea but not the full featured one... that one is closer to 7k now unfortunately .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 103.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
15,699 (OBO)
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gb-le-prem-the-new-standard-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.