By BlackCatBone

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02569 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackcatbone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

My Gay Time “spots” #19 whenever I start a new game, and it does so the instant the balls drop. I pulled the jones plug that contains the #19 wire coming from the playfield to the head. #19 still lights with the jones plug disconnected, so it looks like the problem is in the head somewhere. Immediately after starting a game I lowered the whiteboard onto the top of the game to get a better look at the wiring on the backside of the whiteboard. I discovered that #19 went dark as soon as the whiteboard was lowered about 15 degrees from its normal upright position. Raising the whiteboard back to its upright position caused #19 to light again. I’m guessing there must be a short between the #19 wire and another wire somewhere in the head. I checked for continuity between the #19 light and the general illumination lamps in the whiteboard that are always lit, but I didn’t detect any continuity.

Now I’m wondering how to proceed. The big wire harness that contains all the wires except those connected to the search disc has a tear in the tape wrapping next to the insulated wire bracket that holds the harness. The few wires I can see through the tear all appear in good condition. Are there other steps I can take to narrow the possible problems before I remove the tape wrapping and start examining each wire? I’m reduced to guessing at this point, so I could use a lot of advice.

A couple more points about the “spotted” #19: It counts as though a ball really is in the hole – the game will score winners that include the phantom #19. All payouts are handled correctly including those that do not use #19. Although #19 is lit as soon as I start a game, the bulb has a lower intensity than normal. If I actually land a ball in the #19 hole, the number shines brighter in the whiteboard. If I move #19 using the magic lines feature, #19 does not remain lit; instead, the number that moved into the position formerly occupied by #19 lights. In other words, whatever number is in row 2, column 2 (measuring from the top left of the card) will be lit. Balls lift correctly and the game plays correctly, with the exception of the spotted #19.

One more thing that I almost hate to add: Search relay #2 is active as soon as I start a new game, and I believe that behavior is “correct” considering the game believes there is a ball in #19. However, each time search relay #2 pulls in (3 times per search disc revolution), the 4th odds step (120-32-12) flickers faintly. I think it’s tied in with the ghost #19 problem.

I appreciate any ideas on how to approach this problem.

DSC02569 (resized).jpgDSC02569 (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

I disconnected the jones plug that connects the playfield #19 hole to the #19 lamp in the whiteboard, yet #19 still lights as soon as I start a game. I thought that test would clear the jones plug wiring of any suspicion of being the culprit, but maybe I'm wrong. I made a 2 minute video that shows the behavior much better than I explained it in my original post. It shows the synchronized misbehavior of the #19 light and the 4th odds step. If you have time, please take a look and let me know what you think.

#5 4 years ago

Excellent advice. I took the clamp off and the problem disappeared. I then wrapped the big wire trunk line where the old tape was worn away, and I wrapped the smaller wire bundle from the search disc that crosses the main trunk line right where the clamp is. I didn't see any frayed wires, but there were plenty of wires I couldn't see. I put the clamp back on and the game operates normally - no more #19 spotted for free. If the #19 issue arises again, I'll unwrap the wire harness and look for the wires that are shorting. For now, the situation is stabilized. Thank you!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackcatbone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gay-time-spots-19-as-soon-as-game-starts?tu=blackcatbone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.