20140924_184252.jpg
20140924_184258.jpg
20140924_184211.jpg
20140924_184101.jpg
20140924_184154.jpg
20140924_184129.jpg
20140924_184107.jpg
underpants gnomes.jpg
There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 10 years ago

mar 26 2014 update
received our latest set of die-line plastics 2 days earlier than expected. we have 2 small issues to clear up, however I don't see either from preventing us from moving forward.

the next test set will be direct printed so that we can check the artwork (insert small fanfare here and I'll post pictures of the progress. I'm also hoping to get the results of our first bend test later this week, and I'll post another update once I find out how that went as well

#152 10 years ago

pics pics pics

#153 10 years ago

just received the black oxide carriage bolts. thanks for recommendation.

joust-pin-bolts.jpegjoust-pin-bolts.jpeg

#154 10 years ago

I ordered the carriage bolts as well. Thanks for the info. Local hardware store doesn't carry them.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from detroit_pinball:

does anyone have a good recommendation for replacing the drop targets with new drop targets?
I dont think you can find the original ones, is there a substitute?
thanks
Scott
Detroit Pinball

Contact Steve at Pinball Resource. I got a couple of spares from him a few years ago as I had Defender and Joust at the time and they use a total of 9 of these rare targets between the two of them. Otherwise they are only used as a single in a couple other pins (1 in comet, 1 in space shuttle and ??)

#156 10 years ago

I'm in for a few sets!

#157 10 years ago

Just got off the phone with Steve. Doesn't have any.

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

Just got off the phone with Steve. Doesn't have any.

darn! I sent him an email earlier, but no response. I guess I know what that response will be now

#159 10 years ago

Maybe Rick can source them???

#160 10 years ago

I've got a few extra of the 3-bank drop targets that I could send rick one of if he needs it for reference. I'll check with him

#161 10 years ago

Wasn't thinking about the thin targets. Nobody has those, but they never break.

I have a handful here if you need one or a few of the thin ones.

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

just received the black oxide carriage bolts. thanks for recommendation.

you're welcome, other than the fact that I was incorrect about the ones used for the coin door. those are a 8-32 x 1" (which I cannot seem to locate anywhere). I think that I'm going to order a set of the 1-1/2" long ones from the same seller so that they're all nice and new looking.

#163 10 years ago

mar 31 2014 - micro update
we are laying out what we hope to be the [final] layed artwork files today/tomorrow and submitting them for a direct print test run.

however, MPE (michigan pinball expo) is also this week (and I'm working it every day from 8am-midnight), so there's a good chance that even if they get the test set done, I won't be able to pick it up until next week.

edit:
and with this direct printed test run, I should finally be able to nail down a price per set since we will have a final screen count (and know the costs associated with everything).

in other news, apparently the bend test went a-ok. I'll take a look and verify when I pick up our next test set

#164 10 years ago

There was a joust pin at the Texas Pinball Festival (TPF) this weekend in Dallas, Tx (Mar 28-30).
I'll post some pix of it.

I also ran into another guy who was there (in Dallas, Tx) and then later in Austin who also owns a Joust.
We helped a guy unload his pins after the show in Austin. The guy who owns the Joust lives like 10 minutes from me. Who knew... So that's 3 confirmed (working) Joust pins in Texas. One is just minutes away.

cheers,
bb

#165 10 years ago

hey brett,
so, while you were down there at the show, did you remember to put on your salesman hat and sell a few more sets of the playfield plastics for me?

#166 10 years ago

i'm trying every chance I get.
coolest project of 2013/2014 in my book.

#167 10 years ago

the completed illustrator files for the direct print set were just emailed. fingers crossed that I they will be able to have the direct printed set completed by friday morning. if so, I will have it with me at MPE for those interested in seeing our progress so far

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the completed illustrator files for the direct print set were just emailed. fingers crossed that I they will be able to have the direct printed set completed by friday morning. if so, I will have it with me at MPE for those interested in seeing our progress so far

ummm... that would be me

#169 10 years ago

going to be replacing some bulbs under the playfield.
anyone recommend if i:
a) bend metal clip back to get bulb out (as there isn't room to get it to lift out of socket). then bend back into place.
b) unscrew & remove metal clip to remove bulb(s), then screw back in.
c) other?

thanks,
bb

#170 10 years ago

anyone seen these drop target stickers before?
This was the Joust at the TexasPinFest last weekend.
ps. people totally enjoyed playing it. always in use for 3 days.

IMG_3930.JPGIMG_3930.JPG

#171 10 years ago

anyone seen these drop target stickers before?
This was the Joust at the TexasPinFest last weekend.

I think those are from a BK. They were on it when I got the machine.

#172 10 years ago

apr 11 2014 update
pricing has not been finalized. sets will be *TBD* plus shipping (see note 1 below)
I realize that this is more expensive compared to sets for other machines, however the following factors come into play for this particular set.

- I'm not the license holder, so a royalty has to be paid to PPS for each set in order to produce and sell the sets
- the amount of PETG required for a single set is HUGE! 32"x48" (or 1/3 of a full 4'x8' sheet) compared to most machines which can be run in a 24"x24" square (or less)

once the direct printed sets are produced and mr. smith and I have verified that everything looks good to go, the 11 color separation screens will be created and sets produced (hopefully within the next 1-2 weeks)

this will be a ONE TIME run of 50 sets (less the number that I'm having to commit to PPS to pay the royalty costs)
based on the size, and weight of a full set, I will be able to ship up to 2 sets in a single 24"x24"x6" box.

orders will be handled via email (which I will provide in a new thread that will be started once we have the final pieces of this puzzle in place). I am going to recommend ups ground shipping w/ insurance (due to the size and weight of the packages) for everyone living here in the states, however I will allow other options if you desire.

for those of you that reside outside of the united states, I will need to determine the costs based on your residence and give you options.

finally, thank you everyone for your support and patience!!! this has been a long and interesting project, and I know that I can speak for both mr. smith and myself when I say that it feels great knowing we were able to create something that will help out other joust owners

note:
please hold off on sending pre-order pm's or replies here. once we receive the direct printed sets, and have a better idea on the creation of the screen-printed sets, I will start a new "official reservation" thread where images, information and a few bonus surprises will be revealed

this project was done as a "labor of love", and not "for profit". the only compensation that mr. smith and myself are receiving for the almost 2 years of work are 2 sets of plastics each

note 1:
until I have the goods in hand, or am confident of a final price, I will not be posting prices and/or starting the pre-order list (this is due to what recently happened with the laser cutting costs on apr 21)
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-williams-joust-playfield-plastics/page/4#1605248

#173 10 years ago

joust-banana-1.gifjoust-banana-1.gif

#174 10 years ago

I picked up a restored Joust cocktail side-by-side last weekend to go with my Joust pinball. Kick ass that you're doing new plastics, I'm in for a set! Now just need to find someone willing to restore this crazy curved playfield.

#175 10 years ago

We already have the Artwork done for the Playfield ( by CPR Artist Jim Smith, who also did the Plastics artwork ), we are simply waiting to produce it until we have a Widebody Drum Sander for the wood......

Quoted from PinManV:

Now just need to find someone willing to restore this crazy curved playfield

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

We already have the Artwork done for the Playfield ( by CPR Artist Jim Smith, who also did the Plastics artwork ), we are simply waiting to produce it until we have a Widebody Drum Sander for the wood......

....next week, right ?

#177 10 years ago

yeaterday....

....next week, right

#178 10 years ago

how much do you need to buy it?

#180 10 years ago

I did take delivery of the direct printed set, however I was swamped with other things this weekend to post the photos. pics will be posted monday evening.

we have a few [small] corrections to make and then it should be onto spot color selection and screen creation for the final pieces <hooray!>

#181 10 years ago

This has been such a fun thread to follow for so long now that part of me will be sad to see it all completed (alas, all good things must come to an end, and many Jousts will be the better for it ;D )

#182 10 years ago

two quick shots of the pieces for now (along with a few of the bonus pieces

IMG_3236-196.JPGIMG_3236-196.JPG

IMG_3239.JPGIMG_3239.JPG

all of the pieces still have the backing paper on the backside (they weren't supposed to apply it there), however it allows for a better picture to be photographed since direct print isn't as vibrant as screening.

note: "yes", we are aware that the cross over pieces are missing the blue-red transition. a layer was lost in the final file creation and missed by both of us (and that's why you do "test" runs, which are expensive but a necessary evil)

I should have time later this week to put them on my machine and take more photos. (need to clean up the room where the machine is first)

#183 10 years ago

looking excellent !!!

#184 10 years ago

a note to anyone attending PatZ next weekend. I might be able to make it on saturday and can bring the direct printed samples with me for anyone curious

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

How about get deposits on the playfields and use the money to buy the sander? I'd be in. Add whatever to the playfield price necessary to cover the expense.

#186 10 years ago

how about i buy it and lease to own it to you.

#187 9 years ago

apr 22 2014 update

good news dept:
on friday, I'm dropping off one of the direct printed aprons to have it "bent". I'm also hoping to get a sample piece with the actual screened colors that will have chosen to verify that the colors look correct.

attending PatZ on friday / saturday, so I'll probably have a few of the direct printed pieces with me for anyone that wants to see progression of this project.

bad news dept:
was informed that the shop doing the laser cutting thought that 1/2 of a set was the whole set. this means that the costs for laser cutting has doubled. still trying to work out pricing (again now) with the screening company. (and it's for this reason that I've *never* taken any pre-order money for *any* project that I've worked on until I have the finished goods in my possession and know the final costs.

updates to follow once I have more information.

1 week later
#189 9 years ago

wow, I can do that too!

unfortunately, I have nothing to report until I receive the bent aprons and the screened color drops from 'my guy' at the screen printing shop. hang tight for just a little while longer

#190 9 years ago

may 03 2014 update
another week of 'one step forward, two steps back'

- received the color [drops] to verify the pantone colors and we need to make adjustments (no big surprise there)
- screen inks are still not to my satisfaction on diffusing the light from the bulbs underneath them (see image below), so I need to work with the screening company to make sure that they can meet my needs otherwise I need to find another print house to go through
- need to make a small adjustment to the slotted holes on the aprons (although, that doesn't surprise me and we were actually really close to home on this one. this will be an easy correction on the die-line layer of the files
- found out that the center of the aprons come into contact with the ball guide directly below them (the one that funnels the balls into the trough), which can scratch the screened ink and blocking layer. because of this, I'm looking at putting together a suggestion file for a couple of things including this issue with each set of plastics sold so that you, the customer, knows everything that we do up front and can mitigate any potential damage to the plastics

IMG_3487.JPGIMG_3487.JPG

in the good news department, the bend test was a total success and the apron looks awesome in my machine as far as fit goes. (now, why couldn't we have had other good news this week?

IMG_3575.JPGIMG_3575.JPG

#191 9 years ago

At this point do we know how many sets are spoken for. Would like to get in but I see this will be only a 50 set run.

#192 9 years ago

I haven't started taking any pre-orders yet due to not having a finalized cost. I'm kind of caught in a chicken-egg dilemma.

if I take reservations without the price, there's good chance that I'll get more people expressing interest than will actually go through and purchase the sets once I know the final price (leaving me with thousands of dollars of my own money tied in sets that I'll probably never sell.

if I take the reservations after knowing the costs and produce the sets based on what I think will sell, I may end up with more people that want them than quantities produced. it would be a different issue altogether if joust was a machine where even a 1,000 machines were produced, however given that the best case scenario that 25% of the 402 machines from 31 years ago are still up and running, that's only 100 sets. on the pinball serial no. repository, I don't even believe that 100 people have their machines registered.

the set-up costs are quite large every time that we need to run a set of test plastics, which is why I've been careful on what we try and tackle between each test run. overall, it's been a pretty stressful project given all of the roadblocks and problems that we've encountered, in addition to the fact that mr. smith and I have been working on this for well over 2 years now.

the project will get done, however this is definitely one where I know why no one else wanted to champion it.
- each machine uses 300-600% more plastic than any other machine out there (requiring 32" x 48" of PETG per set). that yields a mere 3 sets per full 4' x 8' sheet of PETG
- the additional process of having to bend the aprons, and due to the bent not being able to ship the plastics out flat.

I've accounted for most of the logistics so far, but there is still a ways to go. (maybe I should have set up a kickstarter fund for this

what's left to do:
- correct the 4/5 issues with the artwork / die-lines to create the [final] artwork files
- resolve the problem of the opacity with the screened ink process
- correct the spot colors being used
- fabricate and produce a cardboard support structure for the box interior to keep the pieces from shifting during shipping

once this project is done, all of this crap would all look mighty impressive on my resume if I were 20 again

1 week later
#193 9 years ago

adding to my active threads

2 weeks later
#194 9 years ago

june 03 2014 update
it's been a while since the last update and here's the explanation:
our relationship with the partner that we had selected for screen printing, laser cutting and bending has fallen through.

at the beginning of this project, they told us that they could supply a product that would be "just" like the originals, however that was not the case. throughout the process, we were continually being pushed towards a direction that we did not want to go; using a direct print [think expensive inkjet printer] method of applying the artwork to the PETG plastic. and unfortunately that process, while great for proofing the artwork, was completely unacceptable for our final product.

additionally, the alternative (UV cured inks) that this print shop used did not lend itself to the transparent plastics that are used for pinball plastics. in addition, the UV inks exhibited of the same problems [not diffusing the light properly] as the direct printed method when light was projected from the backside and the shop was unwilling to "back up the technology bus" and use the same solvent based inks used by the companies that JJP, PPS and Stern contract with to produce their plastics.

knowing that the pinball community is a discerning group and rather than produce something that we considered sub-standard (and knew that it would be viewed the same manner by fellow 'joust' owners), we decided to part ways.

moving forward:
- we've partnered up with another company to perform the screen printing & laser cutting (I think that everyone will be more than happy with the resulting product

still to do:
- we've corrected the final few artwork issues, but are still playing around with the design(s) of the bonus keyfobs that will be included with the sets
- we still have to correct the spot colors being used (I believe that this is 95+% complete now)
- I still have to fabricate a cardboard support structure for the box's interior to keep the pieces from shifting during shipping
- I've purchased a heat bending machine and will be taking on the task of bending the aprons myself. the plans for the jig to perform the bending has been drawn up and will be fabricated by the end of the week (testing and any necessary adjustments will be made the following week).

once again, I'm sorry for all of the delays and appreciate the support from all of you on this project. as I've stated many times before, this project will be completed on my watch

#195 9 years ago

as always, appreciate your giant investment of time and energy to make this possible for the rest of us.
exciting times

#196 9 years ago

june 09 2014 update
fabrication of the heat bending jig is about 90% complete (I should be able finish it up this evening and will be able to run some tests as soon as the sample pieces from grainger.com show up)

the artwork issues and spot colors have been corrected and the artwork should be complete within the next few days. once I receive everything and verify the artwork, it will be sent off for screening and laser cutting!!

so.... if all goes as planned, we may <fingers crossed> have a final, saleable product by the end of the month or shortly thereafter. I'll try and get a lock down on the final costs so that I can post a price and start taking pre-orders within the next week or so.

I will start a formal announce (ANN) thread once all of the pieces are in place and I know the final retail pricing. shipping is going to be a bit more than your average set of plastics due to the size of the box (26"x26"x6") that they need to be shipped in as well as the weight (approximately 10 lbs).

just an fyi:
this is going to be a limited, one-time run but I can't see that we won't be producing enough to fulfill the initial demand.

ps
for anyone interested in an un-cut, screened set, please pm me asap. I will need to know exactly how many sets to produce in this manner.

#197 9 years ago

bump for those that didn't notice yesterday's update

#198 9 years ago

Jim,
I am in for 1 definitely, very very likely I will buy 2 sets.
I can pick them up and pay you cash if you like.

I am not regularly checking the forum, so thanks for the heads up.

Before I forget.... Awesome job JM and lets not forget Mr Jim Smith-- great artwork!!!!!
Thanks for your hardwork!!!

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#199 9 years ago

super excited

#200 9 years ago

a few members have pm'ed wondering why they would want an "un-cut" sheet. and while I can't respond directly for another 18 or so hours (I've exceeded the number of pm's that can be sent in a 24-hour period and I'm waiting for robin to lift that limitation from my account), however here's the short version:

"un-cut" meaning not laser cut. a while back some people were requesting an "un-cut" sheet to display as artwork in addition to purchasing a set to put on their machines.

the "un-cut" set would be shipped out as (2) 32" x 24" sheets of PETG with all of the screened artwork and a light (but not completely through the plastic) laser cut to show the "die-lines" (edges of the plastics).

given the [mostly] symmetrical way that we've laid out the pieces, the 2 panels would actually look pretty nice as art (if you're into that sort of thing).

once I have the final artwork files from mr. smith to verify, I will post images of the 2 panels for your viewing pleasure.

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-williams-joust-playfield-plastics/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.