4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by semicolin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

These aren't terribly difficult to troubleshoot and rebuild, so I don't know how much interest there is in a complete board replacement. I figured I would ask here first. Is this a thing that I should bring to life?

Not sure if I should proceed if I'm going to undercut someone. New old stock still seems to be available from https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/sound-board-dragon-p-2818 but I feel I can make something with better, newer components for well under the $350 that they're asking. Moto_bone had previously mentioned a year ago that this might be a work in progress, but I don't know if that's still on the radar.

It wouldn't be a plug-and-play board; jones connectors are impossible to come by new and the pins that Interflip used don't seem to be standard. Probably the best I can manage is a short harness with a disconnect on the new board and male pins that can be inserted into the appropriate places on the existing female jones connector inside the cabinet.

In any case, I figured I'd float this trial balloon. I've changed PCB design suites over the holidays and I need a project to practice with. I'd rather make something that fills a need in the community rather than just serving myself.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

You'll probably find more interest in the SS forum.

Interflip's Dragon is very much an EM game. You might be thinking of Gottlieb's Dragon, which was available in a solid-state derivative.

#6 4 years ago

Well, I sat down over the last couple of days, chewing apart the electronics on my rev 10-95 board. I've compared it to the 10-90 revision from IPDB. Completely different power regulation on both of them, but similar trigger logic inside the game. Ground to trigger chimes, and interruption of the flipper supply voltage via a change of state on the Y relay as well as two shorted pin on the sound board to trigger the Dragon. My late revision and the IPDB version are compatible.

Unfortunately, I've now also come across a schematic for an earlier variant with completely inverted triggering logic.

It's not just contrasting connections on the jones plug... plugging a board designed to work with one model into the incompatible model of the game could damage the game itself.

I think this project will have to be shelved nearly as quickly as it was created. I redesigned the power supply, started laying out the PCB, and was nearly ready to order parts for prototypes, and then realized that it's possible that I'll be putting a lot of energy and money into a board that will only work in an unknown number of the available games out there.

I'll finish the schematic for the revision I have and upload the KiCAD files for anyone interested in picking this up in the future. Please note that it should only be used in game models that have continuity between the Blue-White wire on the sound board jones plug and the common wire on the flipper coils (AC supply). If your model has continuity between the Blue-White wire on the sound board jones plug and the common wire on the cabinet flipper switches(Earth), you MUST NOT use these schematics.

Furthermore, this design is untested, even in my own game, so, uh, I guess if you know enough about KiCAD to get a project out of it, please correct my mistakes. I hope I found more on Interflip's schematics than you will on mine.

Edit: Here's what was started. Have at it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U04HuQMaHo-dikjyU396-7VlQFeRf9D7/view?usp=sharing

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-interflip-dragon-sound-board?tu=semicolin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.