• Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6e1b4eff-4e81-45e4-8245-31fc0a5052a9_(resized).jpg
before.jpg
after.jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Any chance of getting this with warm white inplace of what appears to be cools?

I'll be happy to order some warm LEDs and offer that as an option.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

The before is with the ColorDMD installed. The difference in brightness is greater in person. The camera I used adjusted for the brightness.

Here's a video of the ghosting during attract mode. The ghosting is much less during game play.
» YouTube video

Ew. Ghosting definitely appears to be an issue there. Just out of curiosity, do you have the ROM with the ghosting patch installed or not? I know there is still a touch of ghosting with the patch but this looks fairly significant.

I know, before I had the ColorDMD in there, my insert board had LEDs installed and I never noticed ghosting like your video shows. So, I'm not sure if it has something to do with the LEDs themselves or if it was the ghosting ROM patch. I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to try my board with both ROMs to see how they differ.

I'm also interested but would like warm whites. The amount of blue in the cool whites starts to green the film.

Thanks for doing this!!!
Jaz

#53 8 years ago

Thanks for the information. The patch is not installed in this game. The ghosting is pretty noticeable while in attract mode and with the room lights turned off. That's how I filmed the video. I wanted to display the worst of it.

I ordered some warm LEDs. I will let you all know when they arrive.

#54 8 years ago

If running Herg's LED OCD board, would that eliminate the ghosting issue here?

#55 8 years ago

It hasn't been tested, but I believe it would. GoodToBeDad's board is really no different electrically than using inexpensive LEDs without a no-ghosting circuit. The ROM patch should also do a good job of eliminating the ghosting, though obviously that would not address the other LED drawbacks (instant on/off, strobing, etc.).

#56 8 years ago

Thanks for the answer, Harold.

#57 8 years ago

Cool. Well, both my TAF & DW have ColorDMDs and LED OCDs in them so, I'll be the guinea pig I would also prefer warm white LEDs if possible.

#58 8 years ago

Can you use a better quality LED on this mod in order to eliminate the ghosting?

That would be the ideal scenario.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can you use a better quality LED on this mod in order to eliminate the ghosting?

Ghostbusting LEDs have components added to them to compensate for the coding that causes LEDs to ghost. The quality of these LEDs is not an issue. Ghostbusting LEDs are just more expensive, because of the additional parts. Also, since they require a housing, they won't fit on to this board.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

I'm interested at a reasonable price. Plug and Play would be great.

Yup.

#61 8 years ago

The pictures don't do it justice!
I was lucky enough to be the beta tester for THING LED board.

It's hard to photograph and document just how much brighter/better TAF looks with this board installed.
It installs perfectly in just a minute - takes more time to remove/replace the ColorDMD than it does to put two screws in the THING board and plug it in.

The THING lights are bright and easily noticeable again - the way it is supposed to look.

IMO - If you have the ColorDMD - no reason not to complete the upgrade with this board.

#62 8 years ago

Let me know when the warm whites are in and I will take a board.

thanks for making these

#63 8 years ago

same for me too. Thanks!

#64 8 years ago

So, there's 7 lights in the new board - would this solve the Doctor Who issue as well?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

So, there's 7 lights in the new board - would this solve the Doctor Who issue as well?

If I recall, the row/column structure for DW was different which is why ColorDMD never implemented it as well. So, this probably won't do it either but it might be able to be mod'd to make it work...

Jaz

#66 8 years ago

This board won't work for Doctor Who. I plan to develop one as soon as I have access to a machine.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

This board won't work for Doctor Who. I plan to develop one as soon as I have access to a machine.

Awesomesauce!

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Let me know when the warm whites are in and I will take a board.

These will be available next week.

#69 8 years ago

I'm in for one when the warm whites are available. Thanks!

Todd

#70 8 years ago

The warm LEDs are in. Please let me know if you'd like to order a board. Thanks!

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

The warm LEDs are in. Please let me know if you'd like to order a board. Thanks!

I will take one.

#72 8 years ago

I'll take one as well

#73 8 years ago

Please PM me if you'd like to order a board and I'll send you the ordering information. Thanks!

#74 8 years ago

My review:
Two thumbs up for Jeff's light board. I received the board just days after ordering. It came with the light board and the 2 screws needed to install. He pm'd a link for the installation instructions which included pictures. Uninstall your color dmd, drill 2 holes, install light board, reinstall color dmd. It's that easy. Maybe 5 minutes of work. The difference is like night and day. I can actually see the THING letters now. I have no issues with the original LEDs he used (as apposed to warm whites). It looks like the original bulbs are behind the letters. For $36 shipped... no brainer... get one.

2 months later
#75 8 years ago

Are there ghosting issues? Does anyone have pictures with the warmer LEDs?

thanks!

3 months later
#76 8 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Intetested in DW board

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Intetested in DW board

+1 me too

1 month later
#78 8 years ago

I would like pics of the warm leds to. I would like to compare warm to cool leds before ordering.

1 week later
#79 8 years ago

I just installed me new thing light board and when i try to put the speaker board back in. It sits on the wires and i cant get the speaker board back in level. Anyone have any suggestions?

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Ckykedworld:

I just installed me new thing light board and when i try to put the speaker board back in. It sits on the wires and i cant get the speaker board back in level. Anyone have any suggestions?

Can you post some pictures? Is it just a matter of needing to space it away?

#81 8 years ago

The cord isnt long enough to bring it out the side. If it was it would work.

#82 8 years ago

Got it. Just a little finesse. Here is a before and after pic. Left before right after.

6e1b4eff-4e81-45e4-8245-31fc0a5052a9_(resized).jpg6e1b4eff-4e81-45e4-8245-31fc0a5052a9_(resized).jpg

3 months later
#83 7 years ago

Like the purple mansion!

3 years later
#84 4 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Please PM me if you'd like to order a board and I'll send you the ordering information. Thanks!

Are these still available?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Protection
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 159.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 180.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-taf-thing-light-board-for-colordmd/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.