Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by jp1985
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6e1b4eff-4e81-45e4-8245-31fc0a5052a9_(resized).jpg
before.jpg
after.jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

When installing a ColorDMD in to TAF, the original incandescent light board behind the "T-H-I-N-G" letters must be removed. Those letters are then lit by the new display, making them kind of dim. I'm developing an LED board that would sandwich between the speaker panel and the ColorDMD display that would brighten those letters back up. Before I move further, I thought I'd see if there is enough interest to make it worth the effort. I'm considering doing the same for DW also. Let me know if you're interested.

#2 4 years ago

I'd be interested in taf.

#3 4 years ago

I own both those titles and think there's got to be interest. I haven't purchased the ColorDMD for either, but part of my hesitation was this issue for both games.

#4 4 years ago

I have the ColorDMD, but haven't installed yet in TAF.
I'd be interested if price isn't crazy.

Thanks

#5 4 years ago

I don't have either of these games, but I'm glad to see someone moving forward with this.

#6 4 years ago

I am interested depending on cost. $30 or less and I would likely buy one.

#7 4 years ago

If they ever colorize BSD I would be in for one.

#8 4 years ago

I'd be interested. Have both games and could do the mod to my light boards, but if a new board isn't to high I'd prefer not to hack the old one.

#9 4 years ago

Somebody already modded mine. Removed the twist in light sockets and soldered in LED's.
They also removed the male header pins and soldered a new wire harness directly to the board.
It just slides between the color dmd and the display panel.
If you came up with a nice design at a reasonable price I may be interested as well.

#10 4 years ago

Interested

#11 4 years ago

I'd be interested in DW. And, probably would pick up TAF on speculation that I might own it some day.
Or, more specifically, the wife would own it some day.

The only thing more expensive than pinball as a hobby.. is having a spouse who also has pinball as a hobby.

#12 4 years ago

I soldered LEDs in my origional board. ColorDmD has instructions on how to do it on their site. Requires removing the header, soldering the wires to the board, and soldering LEDs on all the sockets. Bit of work, but works great. A premade board would be even better, there has to be a ton of TAFs with colordmds in them that have the dim lighting issue. Would be a good seller.

#13 4 years ago

I'd be interested.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

When installing a ColorDMD in to TAF, the original incandescent light board behind the "T-H-I-N-G" letters must be removed. Those letters are then lit by the new display, making them kind of dim.

Are they still dim with v3.1 ? It does have a lot more contrast control.

#15 4 years ago

I'm interested, how about the lamp boards on early IJ's below the display?

#16 4 years ago

I have TAF with the color dmd installed and I would be interested.

#17 4 years ago

I'm interested at a reasonable price. Plug and Play would be great.

#18 4 years ago

i'm interested

#19 4 years ago

Put me down for one.

#20 4 years ago

Interested

#21 4 years ago

I'll take one.

And while you're at it, how about doing a jackpot board mod for Indiana Jones? I had to remove mine to make way for the ColorDMD.

-Brian

#22 4 years ago

Interested in both TAF and IJ

#24 4 years ago

Sounds like there may be a demand for a cleaner solution for TAF, DW, & IJ.

#25 4 years ago

I have both titles. I only have the color dmd in Addams family. I see what your talking about . But is it really that big of deal. I haven't seen it in Dr who yet. But I think there was a modification to have both color dmd and the light board together. I remember seeing it when the Addams family first came out as game #3

#26 4 years ago

Count me in for one to suit TAF please.

#27 4 years ago

Interested in a TAF(G) set.

#28 4 years ago

+1, keep us posted.

#29 4 years ago

Thanks for all of the responses. I'll let you all know when it's available.

#30 4 years ago

I am interested for my Doctor Who.

#31 4 years ago

Interested in a TAF board.

Todd

#32 4 years ago

I am interested in TAF.
Thank You
Andy

#34 4 years ago

I would be in for that .. I donlt like to solder on my original PCB ...

#35 4 years ago

I'm so in for a DW. Seems like there's a big market for that, since there's no alternative at this point.

#36 4 years ago

I'd be interested but it would need to be properly priced... No more than 30 or 40 bucks...

Jaz

#37 4 years ago

I am interested in TAF as well if priced right

#39 4 years ago

I'd be interested for TAF if noticeable improvement of lighting and reasonably priced.

#40 4 years ago

Interested depending on price.

#41 4 years ago

I haven't looked, but would it be easier and cheaper just to make the color Dmd stand offs from the speaker board longer to fit the original light board in?

#43 4 years ago

goodtobedad

How far along are you? As discussed in the doctor who thread..

- mount the ColorDMD on the Stern posts;
- adjust the ColorDMD vertical out out to compensate
- slightly relocate the doctors light board lower to fit
- standard bulbs fit fine. Warm frosted led looks great.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am interested depending on cost. $30 or less and I would likely buy one.

This, yes.

RussM

4 weeks later
#45 4 years ago

The replacement boards are now available in the market. $36 shipped.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/19976

after.jpg
before.jpg

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

The replacement boards are now available in the market.

Woohoo! I don't need one, but I'd be glad to add a link from my website including this as an option.

#47 4 years ago

GoodToBeDad, is the before screenshot using the ColorDMD instead of a light board?

#48 4 years ago

Any chance of getting this with warm white inplace of what appears to be cools?

Wouls liek to see more photos of this also if possible. Install and examples of 'ghosting' with it installed.

#49 4 years ago

I did my own per the instructions linked from Color DMD's site. I think I used LEDs that were maybe too bright. I ended up having to put the glare guard back on!

I think I used these:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3107

The ones the OP is using probably better replicate the light that the incandescent bulbs produced.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

GoodToBeDad, is the before screenshot using the ColorDMD instead of a light board?

The before is with the ColorDMD installed. The difference in brightness is greater in person. The camera I used adjusted for the brightness.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Install and examples of 'ghosting' with it installed.

Here's a video of the ghosting during attract mode. The ghosting is much less during game play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside