image-955.jpg
20140504_154446.jpg
image.jpg
DSC_09871.jpg
DSC_0985.jpg
$_57 (1)-812.JPG
002-729.JPG
001-204.JPG
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Pinball Decals gets a lot of the mods here, save money by going direct
http://pinballpro.net/product-tag/twilight-zone/
http://pinballpro.net/shop/twilight-zone-piano-tz-2/
$79

image-955.jpg 194 KB

I don't own a TZ, didn't order this mod and obviously there have been shipping and communication problems. But check your pic again, that piano mod looks different from (and IMO worse than) the one being offered in this thread. Also, it's $79 vs. $60 so I don't know if that constitues "saving money by going direct."

#102 9 years ago

Still waiting on mine. Could I get an update if mine is in transit? Thanks.

#103 9 years ago

Here’s my review after installation.

Took off the clock, and wondered how the light sockets were possibly going to work with this. Realized I was going to need to modify things. I bent both socket metal tabs (where they screw down) flat, and then backwards. This would slip under the piano, and would point them on an angle towards the back of the piano and up, but would not get close enough to allowing a normal light to shine in the holes directly enough, thus I had to use CT 555 flex supers. It was a pain to line all this up, which required washers under the sockets tabs as well.

The holes for the screws in the base for this thing are slightly too wide. You have to drill or file one bigger to compensate. I’m sure you could make this work without modifying, but if you tightened too much, I feared too much stress could crack the rear hole in the plastic. I recommend the one closer to end, as you want this thing as far forward (towards the player) as possible. Once this was done, I could screw it all in snug, and feed the flex head LEDs directly into the holes for the scroll thing. I tested this, and using supers, given yellows are generally the least bright LEDs, both sides lit up nicely.

After this, trying to fit the clock housing in was not easy. Again, when sizing everything up before beginning, I knew the piano had to come as close to the player as possible to squeak the housing back in. I had to remove the lower right corner housing screw, as it was so tight, the head of the screw sticking out was applying too much pressure. No biggie, it’s still secured enough with the other three.

At this point, the clock does not sit level how it did before, the piano elevates this up on an angle upward slightly. It’s not a big angle, and doesn’t look weird or off by any means, but when tightening the rear two screws back in DO NOT over tighten these, as the angle they are going in with surely crack the thin walled clock housing. Just make it smug.

All in all, many little things had to be altered to make it fit. I believe Colton didn’t actually have a TZ at the time when making this mold, so it suffered a bit from that in the end result, but only in regards to installation. Which brings me to the most important point:

Knowing this, would I buy it again? Yup. Simply looks great when done. Both lights (if you use the LEDs I recommend) really light up well, piano detail, especially in the keyboard is top notch, and this is finally one that looks like the piano in the backglass (not the common McDonald’s happy toy project – still better than nothing, not bashing, but this looks nicer).

All of this took about an hour to finish up. Hope this helps out!

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Took off the clock, and wondered how the light sockets were possibly going to work with this. Realized I was going to need to modify things. I bent both socket metal tabs (where they screw down) flat, and then backwards. This would slip under the piano, and would point them on an angle towards the back of the piano and up, but would not get close enough to allowing a normal light to shine in the holes directly enough, thus I had to use CT 555 flex supers. It was a pain to line all this up, which required washers under the sockets tabs as well.
The holes for the screws in the base for this thing are slightly too wide. You have to drill or file one bigger to compensate. I’m sure you could make this work without modifying, but if you tightened too much, I feared too much stress could crack the rear hole in the plastic. I recommend the one closer to end, as you want this thing as far forward (towards the player) as possible. Once this was done, I could screw it all in snug, and feed the flex head LEDs directly into the holes for the scroll thing. I tested this, and using supers, given yellows are generally the least bright LEDs, both sides lit up nicely.
After this, trying to fit the clock housing in was not easy. Again, when sizing everything up before beginning, I knew the piano had to come as close to the player as possible to squeak the housing back in. I had to remove the lower right corner housing screw, as it was so tight, the head of the screw sticking out was applying too much pressure. No biggie, it’s still secured enough with the other three.
At this point, the clock does not sit level how it did before, the piano elevates this up on an angle upward slightly. It’s not a big angle, and doesn’t look weird or off by any means, but when tightening the rear two screws back in DO NOT over tighten these, as the angle they are going in with surely crack the thin walled clock housing. Just make it smug.
All in all, many little things had to be altered to make it fit. I believe Colton didn’t actually have a TZ at the time when making this mold, so it suffered a bit from that in the end result, but only in regards to installation. Which brings me to the most important point:
Knowing this, would I buy it again? Yup. Simply looks great when done. Both lights (if you use the LEDs I recommend) really light up well, piano detail, especially in the keyboard is top notch, and this is finally one that looks like the piano in the backglass (not the common McDonald’s happy toy project – still better than nothing, not bashing, but this looks nicer).
All of this took about an hour to finish up. Hope this helps out!

Thanks for the review. I actually have slightly longer screws that I'll be including in the future. I always have a flexible screwdriver on hand and it really makes this job easier as you can leave pretty much everything there. I remove the two screws that hold the clock to the bracket and move the clock aside, unscrew the lights, screw the piano in, wedge the clock back into position, pop the screws back in, and than slip the lights in place behind the piano. I should have detailed instructions soon. Thanks again for the review.

#105 9 years ago

I missed that point, had to use longer screws. I had them anyway, but might be a good idea to include them for people.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

...thus I had to use CT 555 flex supers...

I'm not an LED guy, but am interested in setting mine up as you described. Your install description was very thorough and thanks for writing it up. I just recently ordered the piano, so I don't have it yet but I'd like to get some LEDs to do it properly the first time. Specifically did you use the Flex 555 Premium Red Super and the Flex 555 Premium Yellow Super?

Thanks!

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have often wondered if pinballpro is you. Little things in some of your posts have made me wonder, is it so?

Absolutely it is, lots of posts, and in many cases when applicable post my web address. Want people to be able to reach me anytime.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pro-has-new-ownership#post-592934
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pro-random-act-of-kindness

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I don't own a TZ, didn't order this mod and obviously there have been shipping and communication problems. But check your pic again, that piano mod looks different from (and IMO worse than) the one being offered in this thread. Also, it's $79 vs. $60 so I don't know if that constitues "saving money by going direct."

Only responding to the mention of buying pinball decals piano (which is ours) not pinball smiths. He is doing a quite different mod. Which has some nice detail.

#109 9 years ago

I like all the versions of this mod. I wanted to change it up some, but I've found myself swapping them around from time to time. Also wanted to mention that I've been sick all week and currently have some orders delayed as a result. I just now somehow managed to get the flu...

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Absolutely it is, lots of posts, and in many cases when applicable post my web address. Want people to be able to reach me anytime.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pro-has-new-ownership#post-592934
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pro-random-act-of-kindness

I'm sure I missed those threads, just stuff you wrote in others.

Quoted from cburnett11:I'm not an LED guy, but am interested in setting mine up as you described. Your install description was very thorough and thanks for writing it up. I just recently ordered the piano, so I don't have it yet but I'd like to get some LEDs to do it properly the first time. Specifically did you use the Flex 555 Premium Red Super and the Flex 555 Premium Yellow Super?
Thanks!

Those are them. As per our PM's, I can post photos of what I had done if you or anyone needs

2 weeks later
#111 9 years ago

Confirming my paypal address (same as one given in PM) is correct!..

#112 9 years ago

Did everyone get theirs? I still haven't gotten mine and am slightly worried. Checking my mailbox diligently everyday...

#113 9 years ago

I have not received mine and my PM's have gone unanswered.

#114 9 years ago

I actually just installed mine tonight.

1401336352731.jpg1401336352731.jpg 1401336381158.jpg1401336381158.jpg
#115 9 years ago

Glad some people have received them, like others though, I'm still waiting. No replies to PM's or in the thread since paid in April. 5 weeks and no response = !

edit: received email update today, apparently the last ones are being posted this week. I don't mind delays, just happy to know it's on the way.

#116 9 years ago

I still haven't received mine and all pm's also go unanswered. I'm also getting worried.

#117 9 years ago

Update: received it in the mail today. Can't wait to get it on.

1 week later
#118 9 years ago

Still waiting delivery since payment confirmed nearly 2 months ago, with no PM reply at all and only an email 15 days ago to say he'd check. As with others I imagine mine is still slowly on the way, somewhere, and I'm still excited about it - it does look like a great product.

I understand this guy has some challenging situations to work through at the moment though apparently the Kaneda stuff is sorted out now... Although seems like an honest guy, would be cautious paying upfront with him again, given the delay and lack of communication.

#119 9 years ago

nothing yet here....he seems to have time to post on pinside.

2 weeks later
#120 9 years ago

Still waiting on mine as well.....pinballsmith, any chance you can post a list of the people you have that are paid and awaiting shipment? I don't mind the wait but i haven't even heard back that you recieved the payment and confirmed the order.

#121 9 years ago

I did get mine in the mail last week. It took about 3 months but I finally got it! Here's a couple pics.
Photo Jul 06, 12 44 21 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 06, 12 44 21 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 06, 12 48 53 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 06, 12 48 53 PM.jpg

#122 9 years ago

Anyone know if these are still available for purchase?

#123 9 years ago

Yea I want one but dont wanna wait months

#124 9 years ago

I got mine last week too...took a while

#125 9 years ago

Yep mine arrived this week, posted June 25th. That said, he made contact a few times eventually and the product is great quality, carefully packed and posted, and arrived with good instructions. I'm happy, despite the wait!

#126 9 years ago

I just wish he'd respond if more are available, or not.

#127 9 years ago

Amateurish tips on installation for intrepid future piano modders...

sure, mounting it to both of the old lamp screwholes seems better than mounting to just one. But, in practice for me, using the top hole only, gave ample anchorage but also gave important articulation of the piano to get everything lined up when attaching the clock again.

You will no longer have access to the clock mounting bracket screw, and future clock removal will be via removing the clock from it's U bracket via the long screws, a little awkwardly.

555 lamps fit (i've seen lots of LEDs in photos) but the yellow one, which goes into the piano entirely, will be a tight squeeze with a sleeve still on it. trimming back the sleeve first ensures the lamp holder can still clip on without obstruction.

The old screws that held the lamps on have a short depth. Use one of these to screw down the piano and it's front will stick up in the air. The underside of the piano is not flush, underneath, the back will sit up off the ground compared to the front. I put some washers under the bottom between the base and the piano, and used one of the thin, longer screws provided. It's still quite long, and will push down into the artwork plastic below the clock base bracket. So i put a few more washers on top of the piano base, between the screw head and the piano. I decided to use a bit of locktite on the thread of this screw for good measure. My piano now sits nice and flush across the front.

If you choose to drill out the rivets that hold the mounting brackets to the back of the lamp holders, for "cosmetic appeal", beware to only drill out as little as necessary... go right through and the bracket will fall apart. You can't really see these brackets, but i suppose maybe there's a chance an enthusiastic airball launch from the autofire kicker might clip them in rare circumstances.

It's a little awkward getting the clock to sit nicely on top of the piano, it's two wiring harnesses that come out of the clock PCB get a bit in the way with the ridge of the top of the piano... The instructions note this but don't really deal with it. It doesn't really matter though.

#128 9 years ago

Excellent notes, icephyre. I wish I could make more revisions, but I'm ready to move away from this project for new things. Sorry again about the wait and delays. I have some pianos left and I'll see about selling these off when I get back from my trip this weekend. I'm moving away from the hobby to concentrate on schooling again, so I'll be away from pinside more than usual.

3 weeks later
#129 9 years ago

pinballsmith - do you still have the pianos left?

2 months later
#130 9 years ago

Going on 5 months or so since I sent payment....either something crossed in shipping or it never got sent. Me thinks i might be f'd.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 12.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-more-tz-pianos/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.