Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Murphdom
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Gauging interest in cabinet kits”

• Yes 22 votes
      96%
    • No 1 vote
      4%

(23 votes)

#1 3 years ago

So a lot of people seem come across games that have either a trashed head, cab, or both. Some people don’t have the woodworking skills to make new cabs. How likely would you buy a kit that you could easily assemble yourself if everything was pre-made for you? Obviously shipping is tough.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Depends on price

Of course. Price would be dependent on what style game it is. It wouldn’t be over the top pricey. I would have to figure out cost of materials and labor and factor it into the price of the kit. I was just curious if it was something people would be interested in if the price was reasonable.

#5 3 years ago

System 11's may go over well.

#6 3 years ago

I'd be very interested in some replacement System 11 cabinets.

#7 3 years ago

Good luck...shipping will be your biggest challenge.
    However, if you can get it done you will have no shortage of customers.

#8 3 years ago

Shipping is what prevents me from doing the same thing. I'll gladly make cabinets of any form for anyone, but it's pickup only.

#9 3 years ago

Aren't these guys still selling these for WPC / 95 style: https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19&zenid=mo8an00qbglupjb0aja6l575a0

I've never looked into what shipping charges are like from them but it does sound like System 11 cabs may certainly be a demand not being filled.

#10 3 years ago

Yep I would be, from Wedgeheads, System 9's (for some reason most Comets and Sorcerers have at least bad heads), System 11's.

VirtuaPin seems to get backed up a lot but do make a good product. I think there is room for a new supplier.

#11 3 years ago

I would have been interested at about a 600$ price point on my Playboy project I did recently (unassembled). Head kit maybe $300?

Ended up refurbising another cabinet to make what I needed probably cost less than that, but the time would have been valuable.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Aren't these guys still selling these for WPC / 95 style: https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19&zenid=mo8an00qbglupjb0aja6l575a0
    I've never looked into what shipping charges are like from them but it does sound like System 11 cabs may certainly be a demand not being filled.

Paul makes a fantastic product!

Shipping is a flat $250 anywhere in the US.

And the cabinet is fully assembled.

#13 3 years ago

Shipping will kill you.

#14 3 years ago

Shipping on a pallet terminal to terminal shouldn’t be bad...

#15 3 years ago

You could probably sell quite a few within the state and offer the units for pickup. That would eliminate shipping and allow you to get started. I''m interested.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

So a lot of people seem come across games that have either a trashed head, cab, or both. Some people don’t have the woodworking skills to make new cabs. How likely would you buy a kit that you could easily assemble yourself if everything was pre-made for you? Obviously shipping is tough.

I would GLADLY come pick some up if you want to give it a shot? I have like 3 EMs that need new cabinets.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frogman:

You could probably sell quite a few within the state and offer the units for pickup. That would eliminate shipping and allow you to get started. I''m interested.

There are people that drive 12+ hours to get a game. If they really needed a cabinet for a game they were going to keep I guess they could also drive to get it.

cosmokramer I read your thread after it was posted here. It doesn’t sound like it went well for you. That’s discouraging.

Quoted from TKDalumni:

Shipping on a pallet terminal to terminal shouldn’t be bad...

This also isn’t a bad idea.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Fully assembled cabinets is an idea too. I was just thinking kits to make it cheaper for shipping but that might not be the case.

#18 3 years ago

Bally cabinet kits would be great

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This is the way to go hands down !

#20 3 years ago

I'm interested - interests here would be Fish Tales (WPC), Earthshaker (System 11), Rocky Bullwinkle (Data East), and Medusa (early Bally).
    You aren't that far from me, so driving up to Gloucester would be no problem for me.

#21 3 years ago

In the good old days, 6 months ago, I would say just make 5 or 10 and hit a show. Good way to get feedback and suggestions.

If you can make the numbers work I would suggest finding a few people to distribute them. You get a few places around the country where you can ship a bunch kits for people to pick up in person, that can really cut down the shipping costs.

#22 3 years ago

I still can't believe that no one makes original looking Midway cabaret arcade game cabinets (with 19 inch monitors). They were ALL DESTROYED because they were made out of sawdust. I realize they mostly had 13 inch monitors. Arcadeshop.com does not make them. No idea why. I would buy 3 of them if they were available. I guess since you can't find original 13 or 19 inch monitors, there is no demand. They reproduce nearly all the artwork, control panels, bezels, ect... but no cabinets.

#23 3 years ago

This would be a great option for those of us that have to penny pinch if they were available at shows. I personally have 2 games with bad cabinets.
    Funhouse and Eight ball deluxe.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I still can't believe that no one makes original looking Midway cabaret arcade game cabinets (with 19 inch monitors). They were ALL DESTROYED because they were made out of sawdust. I realize they mostly had 13 inch monitors. Arcadeshop.com does not make them. No idea why. I would buy 3 of them if they were available. I guess since you can't find original 13 or 19 inch monitors, there is no demand. They reproduce nearly all the artwork, control panels, bezels, ect... but no cabinets.

I somehow fell upon an all wood Stern upright. I turned it into a multicade. Some purists would kill me. But it had already been converted twice before when I found it. It had a 19 tube in it when I got it and I replaced it with a 19 LCD.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-cabinet-kits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.