5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by wrd1972
  • Topic is favorited by 67 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 90 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6 (resized).jpg
    5 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    20200304_135612 (resized).jpg
    20200304_135612 (resized).jpg
    20200304_135709 (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    20200304_135515 (resized).jpg
    20200304_135506 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6428a (resized).jpg
    IMG_6427a (resized).jpg
    IMG_6423a (resized).jpg
    IMG_6422a (resized).jpg

There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 4 months ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

Curious why your opposed to the c-clamps. They will absolutely clamp the PF into the rotisserie with zero issues, and you wont need to drill holes in your PF.

First of all, I'd like to say your rotisserie is one of the best I've seen. Good job on that. The main reason I don't like c-clamps, is the difficulty using them with a playfield that has a back wall. C-clamps also get in the way at times. Harness gets stuck on them, etc...Also, I don't want to hunt down a piece of wood to mount the playfield everytime I do a swap. I'd like a rotisserie that I can just mount my playfield without having to create jigs, mounts, attaching c-clamps, removing the back wall, etc..
    I know I'll probably get flamed and one of the reasons I don't do Pinside much. A lot of weirdos and drama here LOL. So, please just take this as constructive criticism. I'm just looking for the "perfect" rotisserie and will use my home made one until I find the perfect one.

#152 4 months ago

I too would like and buy a rotisserie with a better clamping system. I'd even pay extra. Here are some examples of what I would buy.

040-chicago-gaming-visit-2019 (resized).jpg047-chicago-gaming-visit-2019 (resized).jpg152a (resized).jpgstern-pinball-029-2040_verge_super_wide (resized).jpg
    #153 4 months ago

With that type of jig offered, you're more than likely looking at a 400$ + offering... would folks REALLY be up for paying that much for a rotisserie, as opposed to what the current offerings are?

#154 4 months ago

Those listed above are certainly outstanding. No doubt about that. They appear to be made from 1-1/2" square tubing and are designed strong enough for a manufacturing environment. Obviously that's what the pin manufacturers require for their purposes. But do we REALLY need this for the basement restoration? Probably cost every bit of $600.00 or so too. Big down side other than cost, is they don't appear to be able to break down when not in use. So now you have to store it the beast when its idle.

I am very confident that my offering can satisfy the needs of 95% of the folks out there. And once the playfield is attached, you have the exact same overall functionality as the ones shown above, and a LOT more "coin" left in the pants pockets for better things like hardtops, stadium lights, LEDs etc. Plus it breaks down and stores in its 16" x 14" x 4" box that it came with when not in use.

So my second run is now half sold out. These units will start shipping the week of the 15th just in time for Christmas. Anyone wanting one can send me a PM for payment instructions. And thanks to the MANY folks that have already purchased one.

#155 4 months ago

I was only talking about the mounting systems. I agree the rest would be overkill for home use.

#156 4 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I kinda like this guys mounting system. It looks like you can slide those adapters on the square tubing to an available hole on the playfield and bolt it down.

#157 4 months ago
    107f6cad929e78460e8285c3951bda80220c6fff.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #158 4 months ago
    Quoted from DexterH:

[quoted image]

I've never cared for the solid angle iron. Too many times there'll be stuff you have to remove before you mount the
    playfield. I also don't care for the use of clamps.

Having said that, the op's rotisserie looks great for the money.

#159 4 months ago

That is something I would buy! OP if you can attach a mounting system like that to your rotisserie, let me know. I'll buy it in a heartbeat. I'll even pay extra. PM me if that would be an option and how much. I understand if you don't want to stray from your original design, though.

#160 4 months ago

You guys have my design gears turning yet again. So lets talk about the way they are mounting the PF to those commercial units.

It appears to me that they are using the existing holes in the PF, to attach the front to the rotisserie - by way of a couple of secondary brackets. The other end of the PF is attaching by way of the hardware on the "sliding-rails", and some additional steel tubes and brackets that run the length of the rotisserie. So what they have created here, is a large one piece rotating and open "frame", that the PF attaches to using existing "features" on the PF. Obviously that works well for this style of PF.

But what about all of the EM, early SS and pivoting playfields that came before the sliding rail system which appeared around 1992 IIRC? Now you are back to attaching those playfields on the ends I would think.

But first I want to ask the question. What is the concern with the c-clamps? Is it the fear of leaving a small impression in the PF surface? Well this is very easily negated by using a small wooden block. Is the concern the fear that the c-clamps would not provide the required gripping power, and the PF would fall off? IMO, this should not happen assuming the c-clamps are snug as they should be. I have already had my very heavy Black Knight playfield on the rotisserie using only four c-clamps, and it was very secure. There was never a concern that the thing would loosen up and fall off- even after spinning it a countless number of times. So please help me understand what the apprehension is here.

It is currently likely out of scope to try to design a rotisserie with the large open rotating frame feature- similar to the commercial units. The frame would need to be a one piece design, and not modular in order to provide the required strength. No way I could use the telescoping extenders like I am using for the bottoms on the premium models. That said, I have to keep my rotisserie as modular as possible to make it feasible to ship. Its the size of the box, and the additional weight that would send the shipping cost through the roof, and not necessarily the additional cost of the materials.

So I want to try to first try to find a better way to attach a PF with a tall back wall, to my current rotisserie, and I think that can be done. I am currently designing a custom spanning type clamp that would easily clamp the tall back wall of any PF, to the angle bracket. One clamp would go on each side of the pivot, and there would be no need to remove anything in most cases I believe. I am looking for the components on-line now, and I will provide a sketch ASAP. I really think this would mount a tall back wall PF to the angle bracket very nicely. And the front of the PF would attach with a pair of small c-clamps and blocks - with only the need to first remove the apron.

So again, please help me understand why the apprehension to the c-clamps. And I also need to know how tall the "tallest" back walls are on the more modern pins. I'm guessing around 7-8 inches or so. I have a Funhouse and a Twilight Zone I can measure tonight. That will help me in my clamp design.

Great discussion guys. Lets keep it going.

#161 4 months ago

I've been meaning to start a separate thread collecting photos of pinball factories over the years, so we can see how they did everything. Maybe this can kick off the hunt then - does anyone have photos showing how various manufacturers handled the playfields in the factory? As OP said I'm assuming in order to support a variety of shapes/sizes they just had an adjustable clamping frame like what we're building here.

#162 4 months ago

My main concern with clamps is they come loose and the playfield falls off. They also get in the way. I prefer to use existing playfield holes to bolt the playfield down.

#163 4 months ago

I can appreciate your concern regarding the clamps. And really appreciate the feedback. I also fully agree that using existing features on the PF to attach it to any rotisserie without the use of clamps, is the best solution. But that will have to come at a very high price. So the more I think about it here, its just not feasible at this time to do with my current design for a host of reasons. But I will still continue to look for improvements going forward.

Right or wrong - I kind of look at it like this. The best way to lift my truck off the ground to replace the brakes, would be to use an electric two-post lift. I just park the truck, place the arms under the frame, push a button, then proceed with the job. Without question this is best. But is this feasible for the average back-yard mechanic? Obviously no.

But I can also use a floor-jack to raise the truck off the ground, and then properly place jack-stands under the truck for adequate support. This is also without question, far more back-yard mechanic friendly and feasible to do. But at the end of the day, your still going to get the brakes replaced regardless of which method you used to raise and support your truck.

One last observation on the clamps from what I have seen, and others have seen that have borrowed my original rotisserie. I have found that when they are positioned and tightened properly. They simply will not loosen up and fall off...not gonna happen. Similar thing with the jack-stands in the above scenario above. If they are properly placed under the truck. There is not going to be a problem.

I also service pins on the side for others, and I will be placing a near perfect TZ PF in my rotisserie today to do a tear-down to clean/wax and replace the rubbers. Its so much easier to do it this way on my bench, rather than in the cabinet IMO. And if I had ANY concern with the security of the PF being attached to the rotisserie by way of using c-clamps. Do you think I would take a risk like that. Hell no!

But again I completely respect your concerns. These old playfields are equivalent to gold as we already know, and one needs "piece of mind" knowing they are going to be secure when being serviced.

BTW I did not get to model up my fancy clamp that I want to use to attach a "tall rear walled" machine to the rotisserie. I ran out of welding gas for the second time on a Saturday morning. Stopped me cold till mid-this week. Time to buy a full size gas cylinder.

#164 4 months ago

Just assembled my rotisserie this weekend. It is well made and I am very happy with the quality and the function of it.

2135A68E-4572-4756-BA28-37FF614FB970 (resized).jpeg
    #165 3 months ago

Second run is now built, and will start shipping Monday.

So I have now sold over 20 units, and have decided to open a Pinside Shop for future sales. So for those who are interested, please refer to the Pinside Shop or just search on Rotisserie, and you will find my offerings. I will continue to post the status of builds within this thread.

I did not get around to working on my tall wall clamp due to running out of welding gas last weekend. However, I plan on building my first model of it this weekend. I will post pics once its done, and I am happy with the design.

I also plan on building many more units starting next week. Orders are now being taken.

#166 3 months ago

What size C clamps are people using? In some photos it looks like 4" clamps, some look like 3". Thanks!

#167 3 months ago

I am using the smaller 1", and the 3" clamps in my product pictures. The 1" is small in size, and more than strong enough to do the job IMO. Dont knock it till you give it a shot and see. It also holds my heavy BK playfield very securely, and they dont get in the way. I would recommend using the smallest clamp possible - assuming it fits where you want it to be.

The c-clamps in "nocreditdot's" pics look to me to be at least 4", maybe 5" inches or so. But I could easily see the 2" being the most ideal ones for his application, while providing the required security as well. BTW, what PF is that?

#168 3 months ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

BTW, what PF is that?

Looks like Skateball.

#169 3 months ago

Oh this looks very nice. I was going to grab the tabletop option from Marco, but seeing the reviews here, I may need to grab one of these instead.

#170 3 months ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

What size C clamps are people using? In some photos it looks like 4" clamps, some look like 3". Thanks!

3" C clamps. But I agree, buy the sizes that fit your application best.

I hope the tall wall clamp can be an "add on" to the original design.

#171 3 months ago

Tall wall clamp will work with all rotisseries. Again I need some feedback from you guys on how tall some of these rear walls are. Tallest I have seen so far is 7 inches on a TZ. Are there any taller?

#172 3 months ago

It is skateball. My next restore. I have 3” clamps from harbor freight and the soft rubber pads they sell for the clamps

Quoted from Mathazar:

Looks like Skateball.

#173 3 months ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

Tall wall clamp will work with all rotisseries. Again I need some feedback from you guys on how tall some of these rear walls are. Tallest I have seen so far is 7 inches on a TZ. Are there any taller?

Anyone know of any pins with rearwalls higher than 7"?

#174 3 months ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Oh this looks very nice. I was going to grab the tabletop option from Marco, but seeing the reviews here, I may need to grab one of these instead.

Well if you compare the two products visually. You will see that the rotation control on my design is superior. Mine is made of thicker metal overall, and it cant wear out due to stripped threads. The Marco weighs in at 17 pounds, and my Premium model weighs in at 23 pounds. That's the difference in the materials selection and construction of these two units you are looking at.

I have some in stock if your ready to buy. Links to my shop are now on post #1.

#176 3 months ago

Okay here is my first stab at the rear wall clamp. The idea is to have a pair of these clamping the back of the playfield to the rotisserie. It would also clamp a 8" rear wall. It is certainly strong enough to do the job. But the 7/16" threaded rods are flexing just a bit more than I would really like, and is causing a slight tilt on the board (rear wall) in the angle bracket.

I would not hesitate to use this for my own playfield at this time. I think it would do the trick. But I think it needs to be a bit more "polished" for the masses.

Next I will try a pair of 1/2" rods and hopefully they wont flex. Not quite ready for prime-time, but you get the idea.
    20191212_194511 (resized).jpg20191212_194549 (resized).jpg20191212_194949 (resized).jpg

#177 3 months ago

Doesn't the rear wall unscrew from the playfield?

#178 3 months ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

Okay here is my first stab at the rear wall clamp. The idea is to have a pair of these clamping the back of the playfield to the rotisserie. It would also clamp a 8" rear wall. It is certainly strong enough to do the job. But the 7/16" threaded rods are flexing just a bit more than I would really like, and is causing a slight tilt on the board (rear wall) in the angle bracket.
    I would not hesitate to use this for my own playfield at this time. I think it would do the trick. But I think it needs to be a bit more "polished" for the masses.
    Next I will try a pair of 1/2" rods and hopefully they wont flex. Not quite ready for prime-time, but you get the idea.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How about just a vertical high wall bracket that slides and require C Clamps (horizontal) there as well? This looks complicated to re-position the top clamp height right.

#179 3 months ago

Any way to attach s ratchet clamp, all the adjustment you would need

Screenshot_20191213-195247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #180 3 months ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

How about just a vertical high wall bracket that slides and require C Clamps (horizontal) there as well? This looks complicated to re-position the top clamp height right.

Not quite following. Can you provide a simple sketch.

#181 3 months ago

I say let the creative minds work here in coming up with a really, well thought out solution to the rear wall.

I like the idea of an adjustable screw system, it is what I was thinking. I also like the sliding bar system of a clamp as well. Keep up the good work Bill

#182 3 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Any way to attach s ratchet clamp, all the adjustment you would need[quoted image]

I would not trust a slip clamp like that for the job. Too much risk imo. C-clamps on the other hand will not loosen up.

#183 3 months ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

I would not trust a slip clamp like that for the job. Too much risk imo. C-clamps on the other hand will not loosen up.

I was thinking more of using this style of clamp

Screenshot_20191214-091152_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #184 3 months ago

You could use a clamp horizontally instead of vertically. Clamp the backboard to the angle iron.

#185 3 months ago

Yes...Bessey clamps. I remeber thise from my cabinet shops days. I would trust those all day long. They dont slip.

Okay now i think i understand what you mean by using the clamp horizontally.

#186 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You could use a clamp horizontally instead of vertically. Clamp the backboard to the angle iron.

Hey, no simple solutions Bryan LOL

#187 3 months ago

All rotisseries that I have received payment for, have been shipped. Thanks again guys.

I have two pro models left that can ship monday morning if I receive payment this weekend. If you want it converted to a premium, it will ship out Tuesday. Links to my shop are on post #1.

#188 3 months ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

Yes...Bessey clamps. I remeber thise from my cabinet shops days. I would trust those all day long. They dont slip.
    Okay now i think i understand what you mean by using the clamp horizontally.

Rather than clamping the playfield to the bottom of the angle iron, clamp the backboard to the back of it. You would then remove the backboard after removing the playfield from the rotisserie. Likewise, you'd attach the backboard before mounting in the rotisserie.

#189 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's what I said. The bracket is high walled at that end.

#191 3 months ago

This rotisserie is awesome. Just loaded up a playfield to go over and it’s such a breeze to work on out of the cabinet.

Btw, I used 2” c-clamps from Harbor Freight and 1/2” conduit from Lowe’s and they work just fine.

The tightening knobs was a great idea. It’s so easy to flip the playfield over and lock it down to work on w/o grabbing a wrench. Very well designed. It’s gonna get a lot of use.

549E6F5C-5C35-49BD-BBB2-5C04E30DEC48 (resized).jpeg6DB7ACC3-A4FB-460E-8F8D-69EFF05DB008 (resized).jpeg
    #192 3 months ago

Might be awhile until I used it but it appears very well made. Thank you!

#193 3 months ago

Got it. Painted it. Used it.

Really nice product, Bill.

Did some work under the playfield, flipped it over and did a bunch of work on top (applying a lot of pressure). Rock solid and easy to use.

Nick

27DCF180-1D94-476F-B93D-A5F44E90A62D (resized).jpeg
    #194 3 months ago

Ordered mine yesterday. Look forward to it. : )
    Murph

#195 3 months ago

Thanks for posting pics of the rotisserie in use. That looks like one very nice shop there Nick.

All rotisseries are currently sold out except for two LE models thar are powdercoated in black.

I will be buying new metal for the next run during the week of January 6th, and will begin construction the week of the 12th. Looking to build about 10 -15 or so.

See post 1 for links to my shop to place an order, and have yours reserved. Its looking like I might do one run a month going forward if the interest remains.

1 week later
    #196 3 months ago

First batch of LE models have arrived. Red is already sold out. The powdercoat really looks terrific. The metal was first sandblasted, then finished for the most durable finish possible.

20200102_161334 (resized).jpg
    #197 3 months ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

First batch of LE models have arrived. Red is already sold out. The powdercoat really looks terrific. The metal was first sandblasted, then finished for the most durable finish possible.[quoted image]

Looks great! Are the red ones mine?

#198 3 months ago

Anyone spoke for the two black LEs yet?

#199 3 months ago

Yes the two red ones are yours. I currently have two black ones available and ready to ship.

#200 3 months ago

I hope the sell quickly. They look fantastic!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    £ 50.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 70.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.50
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    € 8.40
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 21.00
    There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside