Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,172 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ClpVeL5XEAErG2J.jpg-large (resized).jpeg
    smokey-social (resized).jpg
    20240418_170448 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    20240412_061659 (resized).jpg
    20240411_101230 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genjuro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 1 year ago

I can't even begin to discuss the amount of misinformation in this thread.

...but I'll start with this. Potential energy in a gallon of X doesn't translate via 1to1 math into mechanical work. It depends on so much more related to the design of the engine. What's not converted is lost as heat, and sometimes just pushed through the engine into the exhaust system.

All grades of fuel are comingled by their respective grade. Rbob, cbob, 87 clear, etc... They all come up the pipeline and dumped into their respective tanks where the owners maintain an allocation/inventory. Various additives are added at time of loading at the rack per the sales contract.

Anyway, the OP found his solution, and it's not uncommon that during the seasonal change over this occurs. Modern vehicles don't just respond instantly to the reid vapor pressure changes...

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

And what are engines designed for? It certainly isn't fuel with ethanol in it. Do you think that japan designs engines for 10% ethanol?

Yeah, actually they do. Ever heard of a country called Brazil? They produce vehicles and sell them there and they run on blends and even e100.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan..the list goes on and on.

Also, guess what else they use in Brazil.. small engines (lawnmowers, etc) that somehow run on the same fuel.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:Are small engines even capable of running E15 without causing major damage? Running E10 is already not recommended by many manufacturers.

Unfortunately the crap that is sent to us in NA doesn't include the few extra dollars worth of seals and tubing that is produced to withstand ethanol.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Sometimes they do. I’ve read that some NA Civics can run E85 and there is a tune specifically for it that can give crazy HP increases.

What you say is true. My old Evo had an e85 tune that was amazing.. unfortunately at the time the availability of e85 was nil in my area.

The high compression ratio took advantage of the high octane really well, and as long as the e85 blend dropped during the cold season, you would have no starting issues due to the lower RVP of ethanol.

Btw, my comment you quoted was actually in regards to small engines in lawn mowers, etc.. people have been brainwashed in the US by their redneck small engine shopes, which have been indoctrinated by the API against ethanol so they can sell them expensive "true fuel" at absurd price per gallon with incredibly high margin.

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

this thread is more interesting when we dont call people names.If your not from the U.S. many of us are proud to be rednecks and as with any group you cant paint us all with 1 brush.Now lets get back on track.

I am from the heart of Appalachia, I can talk about rednecks all I like... I am one.

I am also in the wholesale fuel business... So yeah, when True Fuel sells at $28 a gallon, one might want to stop and think about the why.

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

so your a redneck and indoctrinated or you make a living selling to such,Got it.

Yeah, you figured it out.

1 month later
    #203 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

They have all the drilling permits they need, the oil companies are sitting on them. They don't want to drill because that would lower the price of their product. I seem to recall the current admin wanted to get them to "shit or get off the pot", to use a midwestern phrase, and take the permits back to give to someone who will drill.

You must be in the business?

1 month later
    #276 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yes. It's crazy. Something must have been wrong with the fuel back in the spring when we were draining and "refining" our emergency reserves. It was done hastily and sloppily in a desperate move to curb out of control price inflation. There's no way the fuel efficiency would be that much better with just 10% more gasoline in the blend unless something was wrong with the gas.

I hope you take this without any personal offense. The statement about the reserve oil being refined hastily (as a potential cause) tells me that you really don't know anything about refined products logistics and storage.

If this turn around in fuel efficiency is true, then you had something else going on that had absolutely zero to due with 10% ethanol...and you have been bashing it for no good reason.

The most likely scenario based upon what you describe is that some delivery driver actually dropped a compartment of something not gas into the gasoline storage tank.

Anyway, I hope your problems don't come back.

#278 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I noticed that too, and was going to respond pretty much the same. Chances are, it's the whatever gas company in your area responsible for whatever happened. Is letting the tanks go lower to clean out the bottom a thing? I wouldn't put it past them to use the opportunity.

My company used to pump the water out of tank bottoms, and I can tell you that you certainly don't want the trash on the bottom of that tank. To this day I will not fill up my vehicle while a transport load is being dropped, as it causes everything to be churned back up into suspension.

The bottom of the tank is known as the heel fwiw, and won't be pumped into a customer vehicle for exactly the reason you mentioned.

1 month later
    #317 1 year ago

I know this thread has morphed a lot, but I had to bring up the fact that the major retailers of diesel are absolutely ripping people off right now, driving inflation.

I know what the wholesale price of diesel is at a lot of terminals, and the public price of ULSD at NY Harbor is.

Loves, Pilot, TA are over $1 to $1.50 more than their delivered cost. It's f'ing absurd.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genjuro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late?tu=genjuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.