Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,172 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ClpVeL5XEAErG2J.jpg-large (resized).jpeg
    smokey-social (resized).jpg
    20240418_170448 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    20240412_061659 (resized).jpg
    20240411_101230 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

A few people in my area have noticed a change in gasoline's fuel efficiency. Maybe a different octane rating, I'm not sure. Although the price is coming down, my push lawn mower runs out of gas sooner than usual. A friend's vehicles get about 5 MPG less in the last couple of weeks. And his zero turn mower is also running out of gas on his yard, after owning it for several years that has never happened.

Our affected equipment has been well maintained and runs smoothly. The vehicles get well over 25 MPG normally. We are in the southeast region and get gas from the same Murphy USA station.

Can anyone else concur?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I wonder if its related to a winter mix,I think around here they add 10% ethanol.I could be wrong.

I thought ethanol was removed from the summer blend, or at least reduced to avoid smog some years ago.

#12 2 years ago

I bet it's a change to 15% on the unleaded for the summer. My mower ran out of gas right when I had like, literally one strip of my yard left to mow. I'm going to try removing the ethanol with the water trick and see if said mower runs longer, despite the 3 points lower octane.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I didn't think it was possible to remove the ethanol ? I have a Mr Funnel,but that just removes the water from the gas.

There is a simple method to remove ethanol as well as water from gasoline that evidently has been used for decades:

#44 2 years ago

"The SPEED!!"

VLBPTW5VEBBITC7OEBDBQFPBDQ (resized).jpgVLBPTW5VEBBITC7OEBDBQFPBDQ (resized).jpg

#49 2 years ago

I remember reading about corn farmers protesting years ago because they thought that their wouldn't be enough corn for their regular customers.

#68 2 years ago

A lot of people say because pulling the ethanol out brings the octane from 87 down to around 83, that either premium or an octane booster is required after ethanol removal. But does this apply to small engines? Briggs and Stratton says 87 is a minimum. Obviously I want to avoid pinging/pre-detonation which would damage my push mower engine.

#76 2 years ago

Thanks. So surely ethanol free fuel isn't as low as 83 then? Something must be added to stabilize the fuel during combustion. Like whatever is added to mid-grade and premium to increase the octane while still leaving ethanol at 10%?

#79 2 years ago

You know what's funny, now I'm getting over 1 MPG better in my car this week after resetting the mileage calculator. Another person who has a small car saw a loss last week, but now a gain this week. I'm guessing the gain is due to switching to the summer blend, officially. So what caused the efficiency to go down before the switch I wonder? Maybe a short period of time where 15% ethanol was added before the switch to summer blend?

Also this comment on a YouTube video summed my question up pretty well:

So 2 questions. (1) since octain is boosted primarily with Ethanol based additives, Does starting with high octane just result in removing more ethanol and put you at the same finish octane as starting with lower octane and removing less? and (2) All the octane boosters seem to be ethanol based, so isn't adding them sort of undoing the removal process?

And this comment seems to answer it, stating the octane loss is 2 or 3 points regardless of what grade you start with:

Pump gas REGULAR is usually 87. Midgrade is 89, premium is 91, some stations offer 93 and even 95. Start with 95 and after this you're at 93 (estimated).

#87 2 years ago

1 gallon of 93 octane premium... check.
    1 yard to mow... check.
    Let me see if this full tank of regular 87 octane lasts my whole yard again.
    Results tomorrow.

#88 1 year ago

I'm quite surprised, I only used half a tank on my push mower. Same time spent, about the same density of grass. I think the difference this time is the summer blend. Still, when this tank runs out I'm going to try the distilled ethanol free gas.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

octane affects detonation to stop knocking, not efficiency, generally. The only thing is you need the minimum level to prevent knocking. Using too low octane on an engine that calls for a higher rating can reduce MPG do to early combustion. Using higher octane gas in an engine that does not need it offers no improvement and just wastes money.

Yeah, the only other opinion is 89 octane for mid-grade. If octane loses 3 or 4 points when removing ethanol, then that leaves only 85 or 86, not suitable for small engines that require 87 to run safely. Hence why premium is needed. The finish octane should be between 87 and 89, depending on if your premium is 91 or 93.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from Apex:

I think the original thought was an experiment to see if they can measure the reduction in "fuel efficiency" between ethanol blended and straight gasoline in their lawnmower.

Basically this. And I've learned how detrimental ethanol is to small engines.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

My Honda mower that runs awesome 105% of the time was chugging and struggling the first tank or so this spring after sitting since early November. Then I put fresh gas in it and it runs like new again. No doubt old ethanol gas had something to do with it!

Yeah my mower runs "ok" with good power, but it sounds like it surges at times. But, this mower was put in storage some time around 2010 (thankfully the gas was drained first) so it may be gunk in the carburetor. Hopefully running ethanol free and some Sea Foam will improve that.

1 week later
    #113 1 year ago

Ok, I tried the backyard distilled ethanol free premium/super gas in my mower. It went from running ok-ish with regular gas to running quite smooth. The Honda engine on my mower has a design flaw with the automatic choke. With normal gas, it adjusts itself too wide and the engine starts, but it dies, regardless of air and engine temperature. To fix that, the previous owner and myself had to limit the auto choke with a paperclip to prevent it from going fully open. This worked, but it wasn't ideal.

Now with this nice ethanol free gas, I couldn't get it to start with the modified choke. I removed the paperclip and let the choke go full open and do its thing. Now the engine starts first pull and runs very well. No misses or surging. No pinging (I would hope so!). RPM is the same. I'm not sure if it has more power, seems to cut about the same. But it sounds really good. The choke thing may have to do with the pure gas having more energy per volume, requiring less choke and more air intake.

I made about 1.5L of this which was a bit much. So i just put the rest in my other mower that has regular 87 octane gas. I'll be able to test the fuel economy the next time I fully mow my front yard starting with a full tank.

#128 1 year ago

Are small engines even capable of running E15 without causing major damage? Running E10 is already not recommended by many manufacturers.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

My brother told me about this guy,and at first I thought he was a jackass! But he takes a dry subject and adds a little humor to it. I just hope I don't slip and say carbritrator, when I go to Napa for carburetor cleaner.

I watched Taryl's entire fuel additive experiment. I was surprised and disappointed to see nearly everything he tested did absolutely nothing to stabilize the fuel. And I'm also very impressed by how the VP ethanol free high purity fuel held up. If the small amount of impurities in 87 or 93 don't make any difference to shelf life, then distilling pump gas to remove the ethanol sounds like a great money saving approach vs. ethanol free pump gas or dedicated small engine fuel.

And 18 months? That's a very long time but if you're not running ethanol free you are slowly killing your carburetor with literal petroleum jelly and corrosion.

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I was surprised too by the results! But I've always trusted running my small engines dry before a long storage over using a gas stabilizer. But I do like how Sea Foam helps to keep my small engines Carbatrators clean.

I like how he makes it clear they are mostly useless as a stabilizer only. I'm sure all of those products do something to clean the fuel system, even if it's miniscule. But stabilizers they are not. I do use Sea Foam and my car got a few MPG better after a Sea Foam treatment. That could also be due to the summer blend fuel switch though.

#150 1 year ago

I'm going to take the carburetor off this 1985 Briggs and Stratton engine for my oldest mower. It doesn't want to stay running. I imagine the diaphragm ruined from the ethanol fuel all those years and the filter screen/main jet are probably gummed up.

#151 1 year ago

If you have a QuikTrip in your area, they offer 90 octane ethanol free gas. Premium is $4.49, the ethanol free is only $4.54. So for 5 cents more I get 10% more gasoline per gallon vs. distilling premium and still get the same octane. That 10% more gas per gallon is worth $0.45. Yes, please.

#153 1 year ago

With the homemade ethanol free gas, it appears I still have over half a tank left after cutting my front yard!
    DSC_2783 (resized).JPGDSC_2783 (resized).JPG

#157 1 year ago

Well, since the gas went "terrible" for a couple of weeks there. Compared to that yeah, it's quite a bit of an improvement. Compared to normal days though, I'd say it's still an improvement. My yard gets full sun and I have to cut it every week. Even then it's thick, so the extra power I get out of the mower with the ethanol free is a big help. And the engine runs smoother.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Post some pictures. We're all bored waiting for the next pin release.

Well, I mean, the diaphragm looked good to my untrained eye. But I don't know what I'm looking for. I removed the carb, sprayed it out with the hose using light pressure, and let it air dry. I cleared out the main jet. Siphon screen is clear. I cleaned up around the tank and ensured no water or debris entered the tank ports. I did see some old varnished gas in the divot/cup of the tank the fuel comes up through and I cleaned that out with carb cleaner. I did not use carb cleaner on the carbeurator as the acetone would dissolve the plastic.

Now it doesn't start, even the next day. Maybe there's still water in the main jet, but I have a feeling it's pulling air from around the tank gasket, that doesn't exist. There's no gasket on this thing and there should be one. So that's what I'll replace next with a new diaphragm.

DSC_2836 (resized).JPGDSC_2836 (resized).JPG

#160 1 year ago

Well I still didn't see anything, but I blew out the main jet and the fuel tube that comes up from the bottom of the tank using canned air. This worked! No new diaphragm needed, my rebuild "kit" doesn't have have a gasket! It fired on the second pull and ran fine after the third pull. It now starts reliably and idles low. I added Sea Foam to this engine as well and mowed some with no hiccups. And a new air filter.

Gonna switch this little guy over to ethanol free as well after this tank.

1 week later
    #164 1 year ago

As I finished distilling my ethanol free gas I noticed this foamy slimy looking stuff between the gas and ethanol/water mixture after separation. I drained it off. I think the "premium" gas I got was pretty poor quality. The gas itself never appeared clear after letting it sit for quite a while after mixing.

DSC_2889 (resized).JPGDSC_2889 (resized).JPGDSC_2890 (resized).JPGDSC_2890 (resized).JPG

#167 1 year ago

Good thing I don't use Exxon!

#183 1 year ago

Pipelines also work.

#188 1 year ago

Most of our oil was coming from Keystone.

1 week later
    #206 1 year ago

Gas prices are down 10 cents in my area this week. What??

#207 1 year ago

Gas prices are still slowly coming down. I wonder if $5 will buy me a whole gallon of ethanol free this time?

#212 1 year ago

Yes, again pipelines work. Without getting political, we were energy independent 2 years ago before the Keystone pipeline was cut off at the knees on January 20, 2021.

#217 1 year ago

Interesting, thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of that!

#219 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Change your station

I initially found out about the diesel fuel shortage via YouTube journalists, not mainstream media. Specifically Economic Ninja's channel. I'll have to check again to see if he is covering the diesel oil situation too.

#228 1 year ago

The same Murphy's gas station that goes dry once a month was out again this morning, on a Saturday! Interesting. I have a feeling they dropped their prices too low.

#233 1 year ago

We have Buc-ee's in our area coming soon, hopefully next year. It will be interesting to see how much cheaper the gas is, if at all.

1 week later
    2 weeks later
    #241 1 year ago

Gas continues to fall at a good rate due to a strong dollar (failing foreign currencies) and less consumption. Production remains the same since 2020 and begging foreign leaders for oil is just asinine when we have the ability to import it from Canada and produce it ourselves on federal lands (just no permits).

The the gallon of ethanol free has been lasting me quite a long time. Fuel economy of my push mower is excellent.

#248 1 year ago

Numbers are numbers. Gas affects 100% of working class Americans, regardless if you are political or not, regardless of what administration is in charge. Production gets cut, it affects prices and availability. Simple economics.

I'm trying to keep politics out of this but some participants want to polarize this issue, which is actually against the forum rules. I'm not blaming one political party over the other, I'm blaming bad policy regardless of whose policy it is.

What's so hard to grasp about this?

#254 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not a chance.
    Pinball is about bringing people together. Politics generally does pretty much the exact opposite.

Yep, I mean hopefully we can keep this discussion limited to cause and effect.

1 week later
    #267 1 year ago

Thanks to the strong dollar and reduced consumption this summer gas prices continue to tank at about 2 or 3 cents per day in my area. I wish that would last. Meanwhile I cut my quite thick and mildly wet medium sized yard with a full tank of ethanol free, and my push mower still has at least 3/4 left. Very nice. I love these fuel efficient Honda engines.

#271 1 year ago

For me, it was $3.24 yesterday for regular.

#275 1 year ago
    Quoted from Apex:

Wait, you went from using more than a tank of gas in your mower at the start of this thread, to now having 3/4 left with your ethanol free stuff?

Yes. It's crazy. Something must have been wrong with the fuel back in the spring when we were draining and "refining" our emergency reserves. It was done hastily and sloppily in a desperate move to curb out of control price inflation. There's no way the fuel efficiency would be that much better with just 10% more gasoline in the blend unless something was wrong with the gas. I've used regular in my mowers for years (bad idea) but only recently had I and others I know seen that issue even when running ethanol free.

My push mower on homemade ethanol free, a friend's zero turn mower on pump ethanol free, and his Tacoma on regular all saw major drops in fuel economy for couple of weeks. That slimy "stuff" in the regular wasn't right. I actually had my mower die on me a couple of times and I had to clean the carburetor with Sea Foam. I haven't had that issue recently with ethanol free from the pump.

#279 1 year ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

My company used to pump the water out of tank bottoms, and I can tell you that you certainly don't want the trash on the bottom of that tank. To this day I will not fill up my vehicle while a transport load is being dropped, as it causes everything to be churned back up into suspension.
    The bottom of the tank is known as the heel fwiw, and won't be pumped into a customer vehicle for exactly the reason you mentioned.

I agree. I was always told to not stop at a gas station that sits idle for hours/days such as in rural areas. As the gas can get groundwater seepage, dust, stale fuel, etc.

#282 1 year ago

So, some consequences of high gas prices I've noticed locally. People are prepaying inside at the gas station a lot more than they used to. While in line I have seen several people prepay with cash, like me. Also the last several months I've seen an even dollar amount, like $30, on the pump from the previous person. So the use of cash to budget for gas has increased in popularity. Another possible reason for this is some debit cards and banks limiting large transactions, if you have a big truck that requires more than $75 to fill up for example.

Another effect is traffic in my town and surrounding areas, on Friday nights and weekends, is down considerably. So much so in fact that literally the only good car wash in town had barely any customers on a Sunday afternoon. When normally there are 20 or 30 people in the vacuum area and several waiting in both lanes, I was the only one waiting. The weather was clear, sunny and mild. And last Sunday around the same time, I was surprised they were closed even though people were still in the wash tunnel and vacuuming afterwards.

I asked one of the workers about this. He said they have to meet a certain daily quota or they have to shut down early. He said they only had about 70 people come through all day. He said "We really should be closed right now." My guess is with so few customers driving and getting their cars washed, and inflation killing people on energy costs, the place is likely barely breaking even. More people seem to be washing their cars at home or washing them less. Their "quick wash" is $10 and it's up from there.

1 week later
    #292 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Interesting observation, gas prices at all stations are pretty much in sync now. Costco, Sam’s, Bucee’s aren't any cheaper than Walmart. Every other station is damn near within 10 cents.

I wonder if that indicates a price floor? For me, the price has remained more or less the same for the last week or two, $3.09 for regular. But what's interesting is not all stations are within 10 cents, some are as high as twenty in a nearby town. But among these, the price doesn't seem to be lowering any more either. People can only stop driving so much.

#293 1 year ago

Gas went up 20 cents overnight.

1 week later
    #296 1 year ago

I saw a RaceTrac station go up 20 cents on diesel yesterday but the normal gas prices didn't change. So I got gas before they increased the unleaded price too. Just in time for Labor Day weekend, what a coincidence!

#297 1 year ago

Gas is back down to $3.06 after the typical corporate greed holiday bump. Oil is down below $90 a barrel. Many countries are on hard financial times. Reduced global demand?

#299 1 year ago

It dropped 7 cents overnight to $2.99 for me too. But brent oil is back up from $87 to $92.

#307 1 year ago

I last paid $20 to fill my car halfway at $2.99. Assuming you're talking less than 20 gallons (you got 15.5 gallons looks like). Glad I got some extra before oil went back up to $94, now our price is $3.19. This railroad strike isn't going to help things either.

#318 1 year ago

Yeah I'm seeing a diesel price spread of over $1 in my area. It's nuts. When gas was down to $2.95 diesel was still over $4.

#329 1 year ago

Back to $2.95 here. Let's see how low it goes.

#332 1 year ago

Honda Fits are great. I know 2 people that had them and they consistently got 40MPG+.

#336 1 year ago

Don't worry about it, as the dollar devaluates so do the downvotes. Lol.

#340 1 year ago

Now $2.91 at the same station. I know people are driving less but wow. Oil is back down to $90. And why is Shell across the street still stuck at $3.19? It's been that way ever since Labor Day.

1 week later
    #356 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Gas back up to almost 6 per gallon here again.When gas prices start going down the old refinery maintenance b s happens every time.We may need a new system of fuel supply around here.Oil companies have robbed us for years maybe we should try something different as far as drilling permits.I dont have the answers but would like to do something but without Political Blame game.

I'm pretty fascinated with gassifying plastic trash to convert finished petrochemicals back into crude oil. An energy institute in Africa does this and distills the crude into diesel, gasoline, kerosene, and propane. They also produce solid products like bricks.

#359 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Not possible, it is political.

It may be, it may not, but this thread doesn't need to be that's for sure.

#368 1 year ago

Glad I got gas literally the day before it went up $0.40 in my area.

#376 1 year ago

When starting your electric Hummer is like rebooting Jurassic Park.

https://odysee.com/@Crashdance22/Jurassic-Hummer:b

#382 1 year ago

I noticed this about the F-150 Lightning. Fantastic undercarriage protection in the front and middle, but completely exposed battery terminals and rear motor? Road salt, slush, and debris will wreak havoc on these unprotected components. You can't make this stuff up. I believe The Fast Lane Truck made a video on their channel showing this but I can't find the video now.

4 weeks later
    #429 1 year ago

I saw a 26 cent difference between two stations just a quarter mile from each other. Half of the cheaper place's pumps were dry and there were lines 4 cars deep at the other positions. It's a smaller Murphy USA station by Walmart and they frequently sell out when they are the cheapest. Also noticed as unleaded hovers around $3 per gallon, diesel continues to go up and maintain over $5 per gallon.

#431 1 year ago

We now went from $2.99 to $3.39 in a couple of hours. Guessing election drama.

1 week later
    #438 1 year ago

And that number is heavily manipulated to exclude food, energy, and other factors. Effective rate of inflation that is being observed is more like 17% at minimum. Meaning 1 dollar a year ago is now worth #0.83 today. Not surprising given 40% of our current money supply was printed in the last 2 years.

#440 1 year ago

I don't go by charts, I go by what I see in the stores, the gas pumps, and my other regular expenses. Boots on the ground. That's why you can't trust the "official" CPI results.

#445 1 year ago

On top of that price increases from value added taxes like the raw materials, packaging, and fuel costs compound on some items more than others.

#455 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

EV thread post 4368

I can't find that one. Do you have a link to the thread?

#474 1 year ago

I saw it as cheap as $2.76 this past weekend.

#479 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I drive an EV that currently runs $0.07/mile ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5eec564499605c54386a1efb427f1bbc9a5ff41351ffa5c221ac0e1a12b4a5d8 (resized).jpg5eec564499605c54386a1efb427f1bbc9a5ff41351ffa5c221ac0e1a12b4a5d8 (resized).jpg
    #489 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

I consider that a wash, if you get a new car of any kind you have a payment, usually. The only question is how big you choose to make it.

Well he said it costs him 7 cents per mile. Even if that were true, that doesn't include the monthly cost of the car which is something like 98% of your operating expenses. Heck whether you drive the car or not. Gas and electric cars alike, since an insane amount of Americans choose not to save their money and instead get a car loan.

#497 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Today's Murphy prices just north of Houston.
    [quoted image]

I wonder what's causing the recent dip. My initial thought is maybe distribution centers bought too much inventory in anticipation for Thanksgiving Day travels, and there was probably very little demand compared to the typical holiday driving season. I know a lot of folks didn't drive out of state. And many stores for black Friday had very few visitors because nobody has the money to spend on frivolous things.

#500 1 year ago

I mean, there was nobody out that I could see in my area. There are lots of YouTube videos shows empty stores last Friday. But of course mainstream media will try to hype this up to make the current "administration" look good.

#508 1 year ago

Now down to $2.58 for me. We haven't seen the bottom yet.

#512 1 year ago

$2.54 today. Evidently the Keystone XL has a leak so I wonder how much that will affect prices while it's shut down. Crude is already up.

#519 1 year ago

Well the demand destruction continues to amaze me. We are now down to $2.42 on regular and $3.84 for diesel. Don't be fooled, we still have a whole dollar to go before we get to where we were in 2020 with the pipeline expansion moving ahead. This reduction in demand can only go so far, people need to drive. Hopefully this will be easier on peoples' wallets. Hoping the Keystone XL leak will be no big deal as well.

2 weeks later
    #549 1 year ago

Update:

Mapco at $2.37 and RaceTrac across the street jumped to $2.59 just this morning. Shell, being the silly price gougers they are, is still stuck at $2.79. Looks like $2.37 is the price floor. It's been that low for a couple of weeks now at several places without much change.

#551 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Update:
    Mapco at $2.37 and RaceTrac across the street jumped to $2.59 just this morning. Shell, being the silly price gougers they are, is still stuck at $2.79. Looks like $2.37 is the price floor. It's been that low for a couple of weeks now at several places without much change.

Now many places are $2.75. Wow.

3 months later
    #566 1 year ago

Yep, supply and delivery are the issues. Early on it was shutting down the Keystone pipeline, now the Saudis spitting in our faces while selling oil outside the US dollar for the first time since the '50s. Can't say I blame them.

Fortunately where I work often sees same day price increases before my home town. So I was able to save about 30 cents per gallon on my way home yesterday evening. This has saved me as much as five and a half dollars per fill-up if I time it right.

It's good advice if you know your stations and when they often update their prices. Also, I'm still seeing a lot of people pre-pay to budget the costs. Very wise. When I do this I pay cash. Minimizes issues with my card number being stolen.

1 week later
    #568 1 year ago

Just saw another 30 cent increase last week. I took the same route home the last time I saw this and found the same gas station had not gone up yet. Always seem to get lucky with that one.

#570 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

We went up 25 cents here. Diesel went down a bit though.

Yeah what's funny is now diesel is about the same price now here.

#575 1 year ago

I've decided I'm not buying those new gas cans that cost $30+ because of the utterly unusable EPA regulated nozzles. I found a cheap used one on eBay that's still made pretty solid. Going to put a "normal" nozzle on it.

Check out the 11:30 mark:

1 week later
    #576 12 months ago

Here's my "new" 2 gallon gas can, $20 with eBay spout.

DSC_3413 (resized).JPGDSC_3413 (resized).JPG

#578 12 months ago

Perhaps the Federal Reserve meeting in the first week of May will lower prices temporarily. Another 25 basis point interest rate increase is expected.

#579 11 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Here's my "new" 2 gallon gas can, $20 with eBay spout.

And it's broken. Lol.

DSC_3428 (resized).JPGDSC_3428 (resized).JPGDSC_3429 (resized).JPGDSC_3429 (resized).JPG

#581 11 months ago

We did see that but now gas is back down to $2.99 for me, with diesel only being 40 cents more. And it continues to fall. So why would (supposedly) 1.1 million barrels of oil less per day be the same price now as it was a month ago in the gas price? Continued destruction in demand? In the last few weeks I've also seen considerably less traffic on the interstate to work. Coincidence? More people going back to working from home?

2 weeks later
    #589 11 months ago

Back down to $2.86 for me. US Dollar Index is up to 103, perhaps that's why.

#592 11 months ago

I saw this guy's Volkswagen sedan the other day and there were like, 4 different warnings on the dash. He said it's a sensor that controls 4 things, the sensor costs $800 before tax and labor, and he doesn't even mess with it because the car is out of warranty. Now I see why they get a bad reputation on reliability.

#616 11 months ago

I was able to change out the crappy "safety" nozzles on my Midwest cans to some new old stock Blitz nozzles I found on eBay. The threaded nut does not fit, but the trick is re-using the nut that matches the can and just swapping the nozzle. Many of these are the same diameter.

#621 10 months ago

I only paid $3.05 this weekend.

2 weeks later
    #627 10 months ago

For the first time in a long time I see gas and diesel both at $3.25. Is diesel demand down that much because shipping, cardboard and pallets are down?

1 week later
    #634 10 months ago

Just got regular at $2.95 today, pretty lucky.

#636 10 months ago

Now $2.92...

_20230625_123308 (resized).JPG_20230625_123308 (resized).JPG
    3 weeks later
    #638 9 months ago

Regular was down to $2.89 yesterday. My push mowers are still running great on the ethanol free.

7su6tp (resized).jpg7su6tp (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #644 9 months ago

I'm sure it has nothing to do with our oil reserves being depleted for no good reason. Everyone in the US experienced the price hike at the same time, not just the warm areas. Confirmed by reports via YouTube comments and other sources. I was blessed to be able to stock up at $3.04 just before it increased to $3.45 in my area. I was at the last high volume station in town that had not gone up yet, and the lines were piling up quick. I would strongly encourage anyone who doesn't have gas cans to get 2 or 3 5-gallon cans and just fill those up when it's cheap. Last time I did this I saved nearly $6, like getting 2 gallons free. Beats any loyalty program I know of. It also insulates you from supply interruptions like those "cyber attacks."

_20230727_085911 (resized).JPG_20230727_085911 (resized).JPG

#650 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Twelve miles from Needles in Fort Mohave(sic) Arizona. Half the price for Regular. Unfortunately, I use Premium. Yes, I bought gas here.....
    [quoted image]

Time to trade in the car!

#653 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Why? I just bought it and I live in Las Vegas. Costco (top tier) gas isn't much more than the Arizona price above....
    [quoted image]

Sarcasm

2 weeks later
    #667 8 months ago

Who else is enjoying this past week's new 30 cent hike? That makes nearly a dollar increase in the last month.

#677 8 months ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Yeah if they are capable of charging up, many states asking them to not charge on hot days........the joy of owning one I guess

Also electricity rates have gone up immensely in many areas as a result of all the increased electrical demand.

3 weeks later
    #707 7 months ago

I was able to save $0.36 a gallon today by stopping at the same Murphy's station I normally do on the way home. As usual, they were the last on the main highway to still be at $3.19 when everyone else had jumped to $3.55. And they were quite busy. Topped off my gas cans yesterday too!
    aeb5c1e1d94d758a10940a7526e98469.gifaeb5c1e1d94d758a10940a7526e98469.gif

1 week later
    #720 7 months ago

How the heck is diesel now $4.45 with gasoline at $3.35 and still falling? Anticipating a huge price jump on gas this week to correct for the discrepancy. It takes diesel to transport oil and its distillates, after all.

_20230919_161406 (resized).JPG_20230919_161406 (resized).JPG
    #725 7 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I hate when this seems "reasonable".
    Today was 93 for the win.[quoted image]

Looks like Quik Trip? I get my ethanol free gas there for my small engines.

1 week later
    #733 6 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

San Diego just now, Costco....
    [quoted image]

COSTco.

#747 6 months ago

Holy nuts!!
    Screenshot from 2023-10-04 19-09-14 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2023-10-04 19-09-14 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2023-10-04 19-09-59 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2023-10-04 19-09-59 (resized).png

Screenshot from 2023-10-04 19-11-03 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2023-10-04 19-11-03 (resized).png

81hcrd (resized).jpg81hcrd (resized).jpg
    #758 6 months ago

I don't read CNN.

#759 6 months ago

I topped off my car and gas cans yesterday at $2.99, predicting this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67050612
    _20231009_071420 (resized).JPG_20231009_071420 (resized).JPG

I'm now seeing $3.16 at some places, others are a bit less.

#761 6 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yep, right on schedule.

"OH MY GAWD the world is ending!! World War 3!!!"

#765 6 months ago

Yep I was lucky to still find $2.99 gas again today while a bunch of other places are going up 10 cents.

#778 6 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Electricity Rationing; a fair share for all of us!

'Tis the waft of communism, comrade!
    5d1e442515e9f971eb733319 (resized).jpg5d1e442515e9f971eb733319 (resized).jpg

#788 6 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Damn, I feel bad for you cal folks. I paid 3.55 the other day.
    Remember when we were energy independent?

Currently about $2.85 here. Price of oil has more or less stabilized but still over $90, will see how this week ends up.

#791 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Where are you at? Any reason you don't post your city with avatar?

It's a legit city, with the earth's finest foods.

http://www.nunyafarms.com/

The best Nunya Business you'll find on this side of Ghana.

#792 6 months ago

Same reason vid1900 lives in Yemen.

"Nunya is from the Ewe language in Ghana which means Wisdom."

#801 6 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I used to be concerned about it myself, but have nothing to hide as no address is given out anyway.
    My shown location is an imaginary place taken from the movie Demo Man. Reality is somewhere between LA and SD, just north of Disneyland.

Wait, I thought San Angeles was a real place. I was about to ask about their gas prices!

#806 6 months ago

Diesel went from $3.84 to $4.19 just this afternoon. 35 cent increase, no change in the $2.83 gas prices at this time but I got some in case. That's a $1.36 price increase over gas. Pretty wild.

#812 6 months ago

I have to be honest, $2.85 is quite a good price right now.

#815 6 months ago

The DoubleDouble doesn't cost double? Only almost double?

#822 6 months ago

Gas is now up from $2.82 to $3.19 for us. Diesel price changes seem to be an early indicator, because it takes diesel to move gas.

3 weeks later
    #830 5 months ago

I got gas at $2.67 on Sunday and saw it go back up to $2.99 on Monday. I sometimes wonder if I'm some kind of accidental price hedging wizard. Some say gas always goes up on Mondays but I've found that's not the case.

#832 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Gas prices have been down to between $4.50 and $5.00 here. But oil prices are on their way up again almost near $80 a barrel.
    Hope everybody got that grease job while it was affordable.

Yes, I was able to get it at Murphy USA at a Sam's Club yesterday for $2.69. It was $2.77 a lot of other places.

1 week later
    #835 4 months ago

I was barely able to get $2.65 with everyone else going back up to $2.99 on the way home. 34 cents, 11% price hike. That Murphy's station was moderately busy. They already had a pump out.

#841 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I hear that is only transitory.

Oh, but since Mr. Powell has redefined the term "transitory" then we should be good!

#844 4 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. DOW closed at 36,245.50 today, all time peak is 36,799.65 set on January 4th, 2022. It's taken almost 2 years but looks like we may be ready to set new highs.

As banks continue to fail and come to the Federal Reserve for bailouts?

#847 4 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I just paid cheapest gas since the beginning of the year at $2.58. Still too much.

Yep compared to 2019...

#852 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've also heard that our Strategic Petroleum Reserve is now at its all time lowest level since the 1980s.

Yeah it's not like the Moe Fiden Sadministration is selling it all to countries that hate our guts or anything.

#855 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I slept with my window open last night

You deserve some carbon credits for that one!

#872 4 months ago

Just saw $2.57 today!

#876 4 months ago

Topped off my cans at $2.48 yesterday. Brent crude is down to $75. Nice.

#884 4 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Plan for less efficiency.

I always wondered if the reason for lower MPG in the winter is the seasonal blend or the colder temperatures. Less energy in the incoming air so additional fuel is needed to get the same mount of energy out of the combustion?

#887 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And away we go! Crude is back up almost $3 today along with everything else after fed announces they might cut rates in 2024.
    Where have I seen this movie before?

US Dollar Index lost a whole point in less than 24 hours. Gold is up nearly $70. Guess who's waiting at the gas station right now for $2.42?
    b74 (resized).jpgb74 (resized).jpg

#890 4 months ago
    Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Not sure what those indicators mean. But I'm glad we're having a "soft landing" instead of the doomsayers last year shouting for recession.

The recession already happened nearly 4 years ago. We came out of it, but we entered a second one in Q2 2022. Here's the common definition before certain people tried to "change" it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190703043112/https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/recession.asp

The technical definition of a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth as measured by a country's gross domestic product (GDP)

gdp2q20_3rd_chart1 (resized).pnggdp2q20_3rd_chart1 (resized).png
    gdp3q22-adv-chart-hp (resized).pnggdp3q22-adv-chart-hp (resized).png

Also, I'm sure China's stunted economic growth has contributed to this:
    Screenshot from 2023-12-14 21-07-20 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2023-12-14 21-07-20 (resized).png

1 month later
    #910 3 months ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Total: ten cents a mile.

Many people in Wales that use public EV chargers are paying upwards of 85 pence per kilowatt depending on the brand of charger. I saw a video of someone doing a range test in their Tesla and it consumed nearly half a kilowatt-hour PER MILE in the below freezing cold. So that makes a worst case scenario of nearly 40 pence per mile, more expensive than gas by more than a factor of 3. He finished a 158 mile trip starting at full charge, and had 2% charge left. Which is "I nearly got stranded and froze to death at negative 2 degrees" territory, folks.

And that's just the driving, not including the "battery conditioning" procedure you must follow to get the batteries warm enough to start the car or charge. And the guy kept his coat and hat on the whole time so little or no heat was provided to the driver. Unlike a gasoline powered car in which heat is a bi-product, in fact using the heater may be more efficient as extra energy does not need to be used to run the radiator fans as much. Bonkers, totally nuts.

In other news I started my used 2016 Camry yesterday morning at 14 degrees. The lead acid battery (ancient technology) not only turned over the engine at normal CCA but the it started in just 2 cranks. Was warm in 5 minutes as soon as I got done dusting all the 5 inch snow off the car. No battery drain, no fuss, was warm and ready to drive when I was.

#912 3 months ago

The only real piece of misinformation in the CNBC piece is the demand for hybrid trucks. I didn't even know those were a thing. Nobody wants them either.

#914 3 months ago

Just saved 26 cents at the pump before gas in my area increased to $2.85. Electricity rates for EV chargers will also go up; it's all derived from oil, coal, and natural gas.

20240122_123133 (resized).jpg20240122_123133 (resized).jpg

#918 3 months ago

Mainstream media can't hide it anymore!

#923 89 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Is someone having a stroke?

If you freeze in a dead EV you might.

2 weeks later
    #946 74 days ago

Just paid $2.58, super cheap at the moment. Almost as if something is going to go wrong, like the Texas refinery shutdowns from the January cold snap are going to catch up with us...

4:30 mark

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Winter-Freeze-Shuts-In-15-of-Gulf-Coast-Refinery-Capacity.html

#950 74 days ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Just paid $2.58, super cheap at the moment.

On my way home a few miles down the interstate gas is $2.75 average, and where I live it's about 10 cents higher still. We shall see...

#953 74 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They are all back over $4 a gallon from what I saw on our trip to Knott's today. It was good while it lasted. I really kind of feel for those that still have to work for a living around here. But $22 an hour to work fast food isn't half bad. I guess eventually our average citizens are supposed to finally forget how great they had it prior to 2021.

What has it been regularly for the Buena Park area? Seeing many results closer to $5 a gallon:

https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=buena+park%2C+ca&fuel=1&method=all&maxAge=0

While the CalNev Pipeline is geographically closer to Texas than Chesapeake Bay, Virginia, I suppose most of that gasoline supply comes from local refineries off the west coast. Chesapeake Bay is where the gas station owner mentioned in the video was told to expect $4 a gallon within a week. Currently their average is only $3.05. They operate off the Colonial Pipeline. Back during the "cyberattack" when Colonial shut down for a couple days (I think) gas prices went bonkers.

#956 74 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You have your facts and I have mine and I think it's time to quit this part of the conversation.

But only your set of facts is actually factual.

#971 70 days ago

51 cent increase now... wow.

#981 68 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Could you use a ventilator? We've got plenty of those now.

Use them to funnel all that "toxic" CO² to rainforests whose trees need it to survive.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #987 52 days ago

Where have we heard this before? Mid-90s news piece.

#1015 48 days ago

Oil has been down this past week. My price hedging strategy is to watch the oil price. Then when it spikes find the magical Murphy's station on my way home that's always the last one in town to go up and top off. Then drive back 20 minutes later and fill up the cans. Typically means a 30 cent per gallon savings. That beats any loyalty program I'm aware of, and I don't even need to get a card or give up my personal information to do it.

Traffic at that station is usually ok at first. When I come back with my cans though it's lined up around the building. I have a feeling the owners of that place delay their price increase to stay competitive until the next tanker comes in. Sometimes some of their pumps run dry first.

20240305_071204 (resized).jpg20240305_071204 (resized).jpg

#1022 46 days ago

The float bowl gasket on the mower is leaking, no thanks to 10 years of ethanol gas. Turns out a gasket kit is $10 and I found a whole new aftermarket carb from a good seller for $14. Guess which one I bought.

#1025 46 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some of those Chinese knockoff carbs leave a lot to be desired. I'd rebuild the original, but that's just me.

I don't think it's Chinese, I bought it from a legitimate US parts seller. This isn't mine so it's not my money, for a family member. The carb also is not original anyway and was replaced about 10 years ago. So unlikely an OEM carburetor on it right now.

3 weeks later
    #1031 22 days ago

Holy crap, over a whole dollar more per gallon for premium there...

#1043 18 days ago

"Where are we? - San Diego."
    "This time I'm 40 percent sure."

#1047 18 days ago

And the US Dollar Index is still up at 104 points? I don't believe that for a second.

#1056 17 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

And at non-Costco establishments in and near San Diego today....
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

We should change your title to "San Diego gas price journalist."

#1060 17 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

What's going on here? Things are supposed to be getting better, not worse.

Election year. Except this time it's going backwards making the choice easier than ever.

#1072 17 days ago

See, there's this little thing called foreign policy...

#1084 15 days ago

Gasoline is key to survival. I just test ran my generator last week. I can operate my fridge/freezer and washer on it if needed. I keep gas cans on hand, and also have a Jackery battery backup I can run lights and low power devices on. It can charge via my portable solar panel or my gas powered car. My generator is not the inverter type. Good thing my large appliances are not "smart" and are free of any electronics that can be damaged by voltage transients.

I just got a complete 17 year old top loading washer from a neighbor for $20 this week otherwise destined for the scrapyard. No spin cycle? Fixable. If the tub in my current 20 year old washer experiences a leak or bearing failure, I have a backup machine that will last me years, plus parts. Oh, and it too is purely electromechanical. I can either do that or spend $1500 on a new washer whose electronics will fail or cast aluminum parts will corrode within 3 years. My current machine was given to me by a neighbor who was moving.

#1091 13 days ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I wouldn't install a battery pack in my house. I don't have faith it wouldn't ignite randomly. (which has occurred to some)

This was a big concern of mine when researching battery inverters. I decided to go with Jackery because one, I haven't read a single report on battery issues. Two, I saw a YouTube video of someone blowing theirs up using the wrong charge polarity, replacing a capacitor, and having it up and running again. Repairability is crucial to me.

Plus, their US support is excellent. They quickly answered a question I had on charge rate using solar panels.

#1104 10 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

From what I've read, "they" don't really get excited until about $90 / bbl.

20240412_061659 (resized).jpg20240412_061659 (resized).jpg

rich-men-laughing (resized).jpgrich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    #1112 9 days ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Cents per gallon...50 +/- years ago. Choicesw were Regular or premium.
    [quoted image]

That's $1.47 today if that was about 50 years ago. Well, $1.47 is the price it was a few years ago...

#1116 8 days ago

Can we cut out the politics?

#1124 7 days ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Everything economical is politically motivated no matter how hard someone tries to convince themselves it isn’t.

I agree but discussing politics isn't allowed on Pinside. Guess he isn't aware of that. Just don't want the thread to get closed.

#1132 6 days ago

Just paid $3.01 at Sam's Club this last weekend. Surrounding stations were over $3.40.

#1143 4 days ago

Was Frank Black right? Is living in Los Ángeles, Chile really better at this point?

#1154 3 days ago

Just a few short months away...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.