Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,186 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Smudge Drivers Licence (resized).jpg
    IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ClpVeL5XEAErG2J.jpg-large (resized).jpeg
    smokey-social (resized).jpg
    20240418_170448 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atari_daze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 2 years ago

Oddly enough this came up in my YouTube feed this morning. One perspective of corn based ethanol!

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I miss my 53 MPG 1988 Chevy Sprint.

My oldest brother had one, it was mine over the summers when he was deployed. That thing sipped on just the fumes of gasoline!
    We could drive it all weekend for like $2!

1 week later
    #98 1 year ago

I had not calculated efficiency lately, I usually average 26.5 - 27, today's average 25.
    Not cool! That's about 7.5% decrease.
    That is 93 octane and all other variables relatively constant.
    In fact I've had to slow down on the back roads that I can often have spurts of 90 - 100.
    Traffic has been building over the weeks and we rarely get to the posted 60 now.
    It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

Screenshot_20220427-173750_Calculator (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220427-173750_Calculator (resized).jpg
    #104 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man 25mpg on 93 sounds like a dream to me!

This tank seems around my average 18.5ish

Well i failed to state it is a 4cyl turbo. If I didn't insist on reaching the speed limit as fast as possible I can squeeze out 35+ mpg. And that is even with the performance tuning.
    I do also use cruise control at every opportunity.
    I think that helps some.

#111 1 year ago

Oh man, look what I found.
    Not sure how my 93 octane performance tune is gonna like it but if I'm paying more than $4 per gallon, I'm going to try this stuff. Too bad I didn't need a full tank today.

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp?statecode=TX

20220504_174602 (resized).jpg20220504_174602 (resized).jpg
    #120 1 year ago
    Quoted from Apex:

How well does your tune do on mid-grade, because I would expect it to be similar based on the octane rating and you mentioning that it was a performance tune.

I can actually change between tunes for 89, 93, race fuel and a couple others.
    I typically just run the 93 program since I run 93 octane and certainly notice a difference between them. On 89 it will run like a fairly pissed off cat, whereas on 93 it runs like a mama cat chasing critters away from her youngens. I'm still operating on the 93 tune with the ethanol free fuel for now. The 89 will usually roast the tires but 93 will almost always roast them, even on dry concrete. I've yet to fit tires wide enough to counter my foot. What's further I also try and use all season Z rated tires for longevity, despite only getting about 20K miles out of them. If I run summer tires I only get about 8K miles out of them. This year I hope to outfit it with 235 8.5" wide over the 225 8" I have at present. As far as my engine, I've been running a long experiment with fuels based on problems with direct injection where the intake valves need to be de-carbed periodically. For the first 90K miles, I just ran 89 and dumped in an octane booster but ran the 93 tune. It was de-carbed at 89K miles and ever since I've been running only 93 and added octane booster periodically. Now with the ethanol free gas, I'm not sure what to expect. I suspect performance will be mostly unchanged but since it is only 90, I'm just slightly concerned about more carbon build up. I'm at 179K miles now and keep rolling the dice of when it will need to be de-carbed again.
    I'm going to run this e free gas for a tank or maybe two just for kicks before I make any life altering decisions about it.
    On a side note of 89 / 93, my wife has the same engine in her vehicle and had it de-carbed around 85K and is about about 181K now, seems to still be running good. Again though, only running 93, we don't skimp anymore. I've yet to calculate the cost delta of 89 vs 93 vs the $834 for the carb clean. Just waiting for the next cleaning to run the numbers. For edification purposes, if you did not read above, it is a 2.0 VW turbo gas engine.
    Long answer to your short question, if I did in fact address your question.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

Which vdub is it? I’m running a ‘12 Tiguan with the APR 93 tune and I love that thing. I did carbon cleaning at 80k.

Jetta, APR tune and intake, audi intercooler.
    It's a great little go cart.
    Perplexed by these numbers today.
    Only been about 250 miles though. I did run triple digit speeds some this week. Forgot to say all my driving is city, no highway Miles.

Screenshot_20220507-094001_Calculator (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220507-094001_Calculator (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #161 1 year ago

Oh so I eeked out over 27 MPH on my recent tank, however it was 93 octane and an added octane booster bottle.
    The Ethanol free just didn't feel like it was running as good as I wanted.
    Also no driving past the century mark, traffic has been to heavy.
    The last two measures were only at 24MPG thus happy again to push past 27.
    My experiment of E free has come to a close aside from running it in the mower.
    I will continue to calculate fuel consumption to watch for engine issues but likely won't update here unless of calamity.

Screenshot_20220531-161505_Calculator (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220531-161505_Calculator (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Exxon profits DOUBLED in last Quarter.Greedy Bastards

Got to make up for 2020 and 2021!

2 weeks later
    #213 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yes, again pipelines work.

They sure do.

Pipeline-Map (resized).pngPipeline-Map (resized).png
    #220 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Perhaps more important than the cost of gas right now is that the USA is running out of oil for Deisel engines. It's estimated that there is enough Deisel Oil til August and the Manufacturing plants are not producing the additives that they need right now to produce the Deisel oil.

Are you talking about Diesel fuel itself used for combustion or the oil used to lubricate the moving parts of the engine?

Diesel fuel itself is a byproduct of the crude oil refining process, so if we are refining crude, we are making diesel. It used to just be waste until some guy, last name Diesel designed an engine to run on this byproduct.
    And we are continuing to refining crude, so I'm not sure where there is a shortage of the lubrication fluids, other than still ramping up production from the pandemic era shut downs? Unfortunately drilling rigs nor refineries can just instantly turn on their productions.

#223 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The petroleum industry ramp up happened quickly - what’s happening right now is that demand for diesel (and specifically the additives) is very very high, because all the OTHER industries are trying to keep up with their own (inflated due to the pandemic lull) demand. It will settle

I don't think it has happened that quick, else why would crude be still greater than $100 per bbl? Our company supplies various items for upstream and downstream production, we are selling crap we have not sold in YEARS. We had a record month the last two months, I mean record from the past 10 years.
    I'm further confused by the consumption of the diesel fuel, I continue to read about trucker shortages etc, how did the amount of diesel trucks operating globally double or triple to pre-pandemic levels which would generate such a shortage if the petroleum industry has ramped to pre-pandemic levels?
    Is it not simple supply and demand, the global economies have drastically (finally) ramped by up from the pandemic and thus demand for all products from the refining process for crude is still through the roof. Since diesel is a byproduct of the refinement process, and that process has still to ramp to pre-pandemic levels, there is simply less diesel to go around, which is why in my area it is well over $5 / gallon.
    I'm not an economist, nor a petroleum engineer, but from where I sit, I've not seen capacity numbers on crude refinement being what it was, I just speak from my experience of selling oil field MRO product.

#225 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I don't think it has happened that quick, else why would crude be still greater than $100 per bbl? Our company supplies various items for upstream and downstream production, we are selling crap we have not sold in YEARS.

I forgot about this tool, does not look like we have come back to where we were pre-pandemic just yet.
    But then again, this is the internet where anyone can find anything to defend their point of view.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    1 month later
    1 week later
    #272 1 year ago

Costco in The Woodlands TX, $3.95 premium.

3 months later
    #469 1 year ago

Had some great chili last night, my tank has been full of gas all day!

1 week later
    #490 1 year ago

Today's Murphy prices just north of Houston.

20221129_164513 (resized).jpg20221129_164513 (resized).jpg
    #494 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I could live with that.

We have it pretty good here, no state income tax either.

1 week later
    #514 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

You would think will all the alternatives gearing up to replace them, and with all the 'excessive' profit they've made on the COVID opportunity, the least the oil companies could do would be to hire enough workers to keep from having oil spills.

No, because the CEOs would possibly not get their 7 figure bonuses! They got bills to pay you know.

#542 1 year ago

$3.01 this weekend for 93 octane, the cheapskate in me is happy (88 miles per day round trip for work) but the oil and gas parts salesman in me is not so excited.

1 month later
    #554 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Holy crap, gas prices were making a steady decline and now my local station in PA has jumped up to $3.80/gallon. WTF happened now to raise prices?

I think it's called a desire for profit!
    Not sure it's related to the recent increase, but just read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/business/nightcap-chevron-stock-buyback/index.html

2 months later
    #565 1 year ago

With OPEC announcing they will be cutting production again, get ready for it continuing to rise.

4 weeks later
    #580 11 months ago

"new" gas cans suck. I think my spills more onto the mower deck and grass than in the damn tank. But hey, it's EPA friendly
    As far as recent fuel efficiency, I'm enjoying my improved mileage; at the end of 2022 I traded up the old 2012 Jetta to a 2020 Audi A3 (almost identical engine and tranny). Mileage average by my calculations, not the computer, show I'm now getting a minimum of 29 MPG and I only use the idle engine cut off feature about 10% of my stops. Now the Jetta was tuned WAY differently thus much more aggressive and fun to drive. I've also changed my route I take home from work which cuts 10 miles off the journey but adds 20 minutes (obviously doesn't change efficiency but helps stretch a tank of gas to a whole week). As such, in the Audi now, I very rarely see triple digits on the speedo, unlike in the Jetta where I had the opportunity to get there 2 to 3 days a week. While the Jetta was paid off, I was spending over $5K a year in repairs... so was it really paid off? All things considered, I'm still pleased I made the upgrade.

#582 11 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

In the last few weeks I've also seen considerably less traffic on the interstate to work. Coincidence? More people going back to working from home?

Not in my area at least. The only less traffic is on Friday. In fact, I feel my area is at pre-pandemic traffic volumes. For at the time I get to work, 0700, during the pandemic and now, only on Friday's, I can scoot along the highway right up to the exit I need to take for work without any congestion. Now it backs up again as people still don't know how to merge two miles down for some toll road exits. Because of this, most weekdays, I have to exit TWO exits back and just ride the feeder to avoid the stop and go crap, thus I get stuck in side street stop and go crap - I view it less collision risky though. It's maddening. Also, as I mentioned in another topic, I recently added some "company" to the new grocery getter, so at least I have better tunes for the stop and go fun. As far as fuel, I just paid $3.66 yesterday for my 93 octane. However at only 9 gallons to fill up (tank wasn't completely dry) it wasn't too bad. Couple that with my improved MPG, I'm cool with it. But only because as I've stated before, my earnings are directionally proportionate to the cost of our crude.

what-a-time-to-be-alive-jasper.gifwhat-a-time-to-be-alive-jasper.gif

Pinside_forum_7555466_4 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7555466_4 (resized).jpg
    #584 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

What was going wrong that was that expensive?

It was pushing 200K miles with a high performance tune. EVERYTHING was beginning to need replacement or replacement again. The largest expense was the timing chain (doesn't show on this screen capture, paperwork wasn't filed on the storage drive until 2023.) Fortunately it "only" ran me $1400 for parts, the dealer paid for all the labor, they had just serviced an oil leak a week prior ($1200). My threat of a lawsuit, since they had just been in the same area, seemed to incentivize them to work with me. Otherwise they quoted me $4500+ for that job.
    Screen shot of all the work done on it in 2022. In contrast our 2015 Tiguan, 205000 miles, STOCK tuning has hardly needed a thing.
    We very poor at "wealth management" and can budget much easier for a $400 / month car payment vs. $xxxx.xx in repairs every few months.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #590 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

My wife had a jetta 20 years ago. It was the worst car that I ever worked on. German engineering is a joke. Any job that I'd do on it would easily take ten times longer because of the horrible design of everything on that car. I called a local dealer when i had a question about a repair.

I find the current gen 2.0T pretty simplified. Takes less than 5 minutes to change the serpentine belt. The oil filter it right up top so with a suction pump, I don't have to crawl under the car for oil changes. I swapped heater cores in my Jetta in less than an hour.
    All in all, I enjoy our German engineered VWs.
    The mini cooper on the other hand, was clearly designed for thin Europeans.
    That or sado masochistics!

#593 11 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I saw this guy's Volkswagen sedan the other day and there were like, 4 different warnings on the dash. He said it's a sensor that controls 4 things, the sensor costs $800 before tax and labor, and he doesn't even mess with it because the car is out of warranty. Now I see why they get a bad reputation on reliability.

Sounds like the wheel ABS sensors, about $100 each. They went bad in my Jetta, took about 15 minutes per wheel to replace. VW / Audi uses the ABS sensors in lieu of in tire mounted TPMS sensors. They have the computer calculate RPMs (since the ABS sensor is there already) and it can tell the driver if a tire has more or less pressure than the others based on individual RPMs. It really caused havoc at Discount Tire when that system came out.
    What freaked me out was when the sensors were going bad, sometimes my driver door would close when I was out of the vehicle and it would lock the doors. I still don't understand THAT German logic! It was the old style ignition that required a key so when it did that... ooops, no getting back in w.o. a spare key! Luckily it only did that at home so was an easy remedy, otherwise I'd been more than a little upset.

#596 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

FYI - Today is Circle K Gas Day. You get an extra 40 cents off per gallon from 4 PM to 7 PM.

I wonder what the lines were like to save 4 - 8 bucks?

#603 11 months ago

New grocery getter and I achieved over 32mpg this tank!

Screenshot_20230526_165930_Calculator (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230526_165930_Calculator (resized).jpg
    #612 11 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Not all VW/Audi's. I just bought a 2023 Audi that has individual wheel tire pressure sensors.

Must be a higher end model? My 2020 A3 still uses the ABS sensors.

3 weeks later
    1 month later
    #643 9 months ago

Oof, 3.95 per gallon today for 93. Up over 0.30 per from just a couple days ago. Can't find the article now but they are blaming our recent heat.

1 week later
    #663 8 months ago

Sad when this feels like a bargain.
    I'm going to need to go by Costco more often.

20230802_171247 (resized).jpg20230802_171247 (resized).jpg
    #665 8 months ago

Doesn't relate to efficiency but...

Oregon drivers are now allowed to pump their own fuel after the state lifted a ban dating back to 1951

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/06/us/oregon-drivers-pump-own-fuel-law

1 week later
    #674 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

But, it provides the highest smiles per gallon I've ever had so far.

Being an RS, I bet it does. At 94, you should have only been about 2 grand on the tach?
    My lowly A3 sits about 2500 at the century mark with only 7 forward gears.

#683 8 months ago

My local QT Wednesday fill up, 93 please...

20230816_172013 (resized).jpg20230816_172013 (resized).jpg
    #697 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I have a greta new car that gets 18 mpg if I'm lucky. Premium fuel to boot. And I don’t have to plug it in either....

How dare you.

4 weeks later
    #724 7 months ago

I hate when this seems "reasonable".
    Today was 93 for the win.

20230920_174952 (resized).jpg20230920_174952 (resized).jpg
    #727 7 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Looks like Quik Trip?

It is indeed a QT, this one seems to have prices very close to the Costco down road a piece.

1 week later
    #744 6 months ago

What a difference 2 weeks make.
    Almost feel like I'm robbing the joint, nah.
    20231004_172903 (resized).jpg20231004_172903 (resized).jpg

#746 6 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Price of oil dropped a bunch today.

Thank god for lifo.

2 weeks later
    #810 6 months ago

Today's QT Conroe TX gouging, at least less gouging today than last week.

20231021_091538 (resized).jpg20231021_091538 (resized).jpg
    #823 6 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Gas is now up from $2.82 to $3.19 for us.

I'll be visiting my usual QT again tomorrow, I'll be curious to see its rates.

#824 6 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Gas is now up from $2.82 to $3.19 for us.

I don't know wtf is going on near you but, I like the way this is trending.
    20231025_171505 (resized).jpg20231025_171505 (resized).jpg
    I need to loose some lead in my foot, only managed 24.9 mpg this last tank though.
    Traffic permitted a few short triple digit speed runs recently, but none like back when I had the tastefully modded GLi. I could sustain the century mark for 1 - 2 minutes.
    Those were the days.

1 week later
    #828 5 months ago

Interesting what 7 miles closer to the refineries and a membership will get.
    It's the qt that's 7 miles further...
    I may be stopping at Costco more often.
    I had thought they stayed pretty close but today I visited both on amission to investigate cost at each.
    I was taken aback thinking qt tried to keep pretty close to the membership club prices, boy was I mistaken. Of course several hours had passed between and and with lifo, it's not a scientific experiment but still worth noting.

20231101_134831 (resized).jpg20231101_134831 (resized).jpg20231101_175643 (resized).jpg20231101_175643 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #829 5 months ago

Two surprises this week, almost sub $3 per gallon of 93 and over 33MPG, lost a little lead from my foot this week thanks to shitty traffic.

20231115_171326 (resized).jpg20231115_171326 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231115_171349_Calculator (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231115_171349_Calculator (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #836 4 months ago

Yessss, and eaked out almost 30mpg.

20231129_171114 (resized).jpg20231129_171114 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #878 4 months ago

Man, I feel so spoiled.

20231212_110227 (resized).jpg20231212_110227 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #904 4 months ago

From what I've read, "they" don't really get excited until about $90 / bbl.

1 month later
    #929 78 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Mine was $2.61, so on the up again.

I paid 3.42 for my 93 octane today, wtf says I.

2 months later
    #1129 8 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Today in Las Vegas.

I was just about to post a bitch about my $3.91 per gallon of 93 at my local Murphy, glad I ain't in Vegas.
    I will state however, my bonuses have also been considerably higher.
    It's not quote like having total consciousness on my death bed as foretold by the Dalai Lama, but meh, I'll take it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atari_daze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late?tu=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.