Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,183 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 minutes ago by HobbyGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Smudge Drivers Licence (resized).jpg
    IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ClpVeL5XEAErG2J.jpg-large (resized).jpeg
    smokey-social (resized).jpg
    20240418_170448 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    There are 1,183 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.
    #1 2 years ago

A few people in my area have noticed a change in gasoline's fuel efficiency. Maybe a different octane rating, I'm not sure. Although the price is coming down, my push lawn mower runs out of gas sooner than usual. A friend's vehicles get about 5 MPG less in the last couple of weeks. And his zero turn mower is also running out of gas on his yard, after owning it for several years that has never happened.

Our affected equipment has been well maintained and runs smoothly. The vehicles get well over 25 MPG normally. We are in the southeast region and get gas from the same Murphy USA station.

Can anyone else concur?

#2 2 years ago

I own a limo company and keep a close eye on the fuel efficiency of each of my vehicles. I have not noticed any drop in MPG. One suggestion I can give is to buy your fuel at stations that are Top Tier.
    https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

#3 2 years ago

I wonder if its related to a winter mix,I think around here they add 10% ethanol.I could be wrong.

#4 2 years ago

Something to do with the 5G towers probably

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Something to do with the 5G towers probably

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I wonder if its related to a winter mix,I think around here they add 10% ethanol.I could be wrong.

I thought ethanol was removed from the summer blend, or at least reduced to avoid smog some years ago.

#7 2 years ago

Funny you posted this. I have been wondering for awhile what was going on. Our vehicles seem to be going through gas at a quicker rate as well.

#8 2 years ago

The Gubmint gave permission to run 15% ethanol for now.
    I suspect that's what you're seeing.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I thought ethanol was removed from the summer blend, or at least reduced to avoid smog some years ago.

10% ethanol is injected during the loading process and is unavoidable by law. Season is irrelevant.
    In fact if it's not within range a bill of lading will not print and I have to go into the meter house to get terminal to fix the percentage of ethanol by adding the needed amount.
    -Mike

#10 2 years ago

My MPG seems to be holding the same this year...right around 18.5-19.5mpG.
    I'll keep an eye out.

Edit: 93 O

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My MPH seems to be holding the same this year...right around 18.5-19.5mph.
    I'll keep an eye out.

Same here in Central PA right now. My dollar isn't going nearly as far but my vehicles seem to be getting nearly the same MPG as always!

#12 2 years ago

I bet it's a change to 15% on the unleaded for the summer. My mower ran out of gas right when I had like, literally one strip of my yard left to mow. I'm going to try removing the ethanol with the water trick and see if said mower runs longer, despite the 3 points lower octane.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

61F9CC9B-21DD-44C0-8AC8-1101C8DD1F57 (resized).jpeg61F9CC9B-21DD-44C0-8AC8-1101C8DD1F57 (resized).jpeg
    #14 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Funny you posted this. I have been wondering for awhile what was going on. Our vehicles seem to be going through gas at a quicker rate as well.

Probably because we want it to last longer now

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I bet it's a change to 15% on the unleaded for the summer. My mower ran out of gas right when I had like, literally one strip of my yard left to mow. I'm going to try removing the ethanol with the water trick and see if said mower runs longer, despite the 3 points lower octane.

I didn't think it was possible to remove the ethanol ? I have a Mr Funnel,but that just removes the water from the gas.

#16 2 years ago

Up here in MN we do run a “winter blend” which is quite obnoxious because when they use it all up it’s late spring by the time it’s gone

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I didn't think it was possible to remove the ethanol ? I have a Mr Funnel,but that just removes the water from the gas.

There is a simple method to remove ethanol as well as water from gasoline that evidently has been used for decades:

#18 2 years ago

My work commute is exactly 200 miles round trip. I hand calculate gas mileage every time I fill up. I noticed a consistent ~1.5mpg drop that began about 2-3 months ago. I go to the same station every time, usually the same pump, and set my cruise control to the same speed every time. I'm boring like that.

#19 2 years ago

Most Kwik Fill gas stations sell ethanol free gasoline. In PA, NY & Ohio.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Most Kwik Fill gas stations sell ethanol free gasoline. In PA, NY & Ohio.

Racetrack here Florida does as well. This is what everyone should be using for lawn mowers and such.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Probably because we want it to last longer now

Lasting longer would be nice. We used to go almost 2 weeks between fill ups, now we barely make it a week before we need to refuel. We all know our vehicles and how they run. I actually was looking for an eco mode button in the 1 car thinking it may have been turned off accidentally. The prices are what they are, I don't stress over it, nothing I can do about it. But I'm definitely noticing the vehicle's running differently.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

There is a simple method to remove ethanol as well as water from gasoline that evidently has been used for decades:

Only draw back is it lowers the octane rating too. You’ll go from 93 to 88 or less depending on the blend.

#23 2 years ago

Why did we start putting ethanol in to begin with?

We have 1 local gas station that still sells ethanol free gas. Not sure what the premium is in price.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Why did we start putting ethanol in to begin with?
    We have 1 local gas station that still sells ethanol free gas. Not sure what the premium is in price.

I think it was supposed to be better emissions and actually lower the price at the pump.Not saying they accomplished their goal or not.

#25 2 years ago

I keep a detailed spreadsheet of each and every fill-up. Mileage is pretty consistent since I started 6 years ago. Winter might be a 2 or 3% less compared to summer but probably more likely due to trying to warm up a colder engine.

We have a gas station around the corner that sells 100% ethanol free gasoline. I don't use that for the cars, only for lawn equipment. But it's typically about $1 more per gallon.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

10% ethanol is injected during the loading process and is unavoidable by law.

Nonsense, there's no such law (nationally at least)! Non-ethanol gasoline can be hard to find, but for those who have certain cars- performance cars in particular, it's well worth seeking out.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

This year it's year-round to try to make the domestic gas stretch further since the Russian invasion screwed up world gas markets. Just got ordered like 2 weeks ago or so.

#28 2 years ago

15% ethanol gives us 4-5% less mileage and ruins our engines.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Nonsense, there's no such law (nationally at least)! Non-ethanol gasoline can be hard to find, but for those who have certain cars- performance cars in particular, it's well worth seeking out.

If I remember correctly there are seven states that have "E10" on the books as law.
    I deliver gas in MA,RI,CT and NH. If you fill up in these states I assure you,you are getting E10 or the load doesn't leave the terminal. Doesn't matter if it's branded Mobil,Shell,Texaco,BP or non-branded fuel.
    -Mike

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

If I remember correctly there are seven states that have "E10" on the books as law.
    I deliver gas in MA,RI,CT and NH. If you fill up in these states I assure you,you are getting E10 or the load doesn't leave the terminal. Doesn't matter if it's branded Mobil,Shell,Texaco,BP or non-branded fuel.
    -Mike

There's a huge difference between "it's the law" and "some states have stupid laws". E-10 is far and away the most common here too, but I pay extra for the good stuff because it's worth it.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Modern engines are e15 compatible. I can't use it in my '64 Johnson outboard because that carb has old fashioned rubber parts, but that's a special application.

My local Enmark has one pump at the end with the $pendy ethanol free option.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Modern engines are e15 compatible. I can't use it in my '64 Johnson outboard because that carb has old fashioned rubber parts, but that's a special application.
    My local Enmark has one pump at the end with the $pendy ethanol free option.

It’s more than seals. Carbs have to be rejetted
    too. Ethanol blends use more fuel than pure gas.

#33 2 years ago

Side note… I’ve been using this getupside app to get cash back on gas. Adds up these days. The Exxon by my office usually has a $.27 per gallon offer. You just checkin at the pump and upload a picture of your receipt.

F9160DEB-6F0F-4189-85D8-A7DD5FA4BCDF.pngF9160DEB-6F0F-4189-85D8-A7DD5FA4BCDF.png

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Yes the ethanol is too dry, it’s going to wreck older engines.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yes the ethanol is too dry, it’s going to wreck older engines.

Not to mention it destabilizes quickly. Even with sea foam or stabil.

#36 2 years ago

Las Vegas (Henderson) Costco gas prices yesterday. Shell is $5.25 (cash) and Sinclair $5.35 (cash) for Regular.

[Image Removed]

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My MPH seems to be holding the same this year...right around 18.5-19.5mph.
    I'll keep an eye out.
    Edit: 93 O

Stay out of the left lane please.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jack8765:

Stay out of the left lane please.

Haha thanks...mpG

#40 2 years ago

I posted a picture of the gasoline prices from a pump I used yesterday. I also reported the prices at two top-tier stations by me. Tough-titty if you don't like it.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

My work commute is exactly 200 miles round trip.

Holy shit - I quit a good job a few years ago that was half that distance because I didn't want to spend 2+ hours a day in my car.

My round trip is 7 miles now, though we've been working from home since the plague so Im filling up probably once a month. The oil change sticker on my windshield predicted I'd need my next change in January, I still have a thousand miles to go.

#42 2 years ago

I *still* wish I could have my white-on-white-on-white '76 Lincoln Towne Coupe back, 11 mpg and all.

#43 2 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #44 2 years ago

"The SPEED!!"

VLBPTW5VEBBITC7OEBDBQFPBDQ (resized).jpgVLBPTW5VEBBITC7OEBDBQFPBDQ (resized).jpg

#45 2 years ago

its probably that stupid ass sticker they dont like ,if the president controlled gas prices Jimmy Carter would have given it out for peanuts.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

A few people in my area have noticed a change in gasoline's fuel efficiency. Maybe a different octane rating, I'm not sure. Although the price is coming down, my push lawn mower runs out of gas sooner than usual. A friend's vehicles get about 5 MPG less in the last couple of weeks. And his zero turn mower is also running out of gas on his yard, after owning it for several years that has never happened.
    Our affected equipment has been well maintained and runs smoothly. The vehicles get well over 25 MPG normally. We are in the southeast region and get gas from the same Murphy USA station.
    Can anyone else concur?

Octane has nothing to do with efficiency. It could be higher EtOH.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

"The SPEED!!"
    [quoted image]

1976 ?

#48 2 years ago

10% ethanol reduces MPG by about 10%. I've compared dozens of tanks in each of my cars and it's always the same.

It's the biggest scam out there and accomplishes nothing except raising the prices of fuel and food.

#49 2 years ago

I remember reading about corn farmers protesting years ago because they thought that their wouldn't be enough corn for their regular customers.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

10% ethanol reduces MPG by about 10%. I've compared dozens of tanks in each of my cars and it's always the same.
    It's the biggest scam out there and accomplishes nothing except raising the prices of fuel and food.

My Brother is telling me it cost 800 or 900 per tank to fill up on Diesel now,people used to want Diesel because it was much cheaper than gas.Thats how the man gets you.

There are 1,183 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.