Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,185 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by frisbez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Smudge Drivers Licence (resized).jpg
    IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ClpVeL5XEAErG2J.jpg-large (resized).jpeg
    smokey-social (resized).jpg
    20240418_170448 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    There are 1,185 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 24.
    #401 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Small Modular Reactors (SMR) are interesting approach instead of the gigantic 1000 MW sites. Built to a standard on a production line. A lot smaller in size, in the 60 MW range. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approved a design a couple of years ago, but can't say I've followed it much.

I do want the hot tub reactor.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2008/08/12/nuclear-reactors-the-size-of-a-hot-tub/

https://time.com/6117041/nuclear-energy-reactors-green/

#402 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Hate to break it to you, but that paper is a one sided joke. Reactors aren't built with 60's tech anymore. There's no weaponization risk. No meltdown risk. It's like saying driving isn't safe, but you're in a 64 GTO with no airbags or seatbelts or safety enhancements of the last 60 years.
    And as far as taking a long time to build, there's no better time to start building than now.

There's ALWAYS a meltdown risk. It may be small, but Murphy has a way to collect his due. No private company wants to build them. No private company wants to insure them. Coupled with the fact that renewable energy is cheaper, and much faster to build, it doesn't seem the best solution for the long run. I'm not against nuclear, but it certainly appears they going to be built anytime soon. Maybe if we ever get to fusion. Here's another take on the same issue. This is decidedly a little more technical. The free market seems to have spoken.

"Nuclear culture, skills, vendors and prospects are shriveling — mostly due to bad economics. Sun and wind are now the cheapest bulk source for at least 91% of world electricity, says Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF), so they’re winning about 10–20 times more investment. "

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/nuclear-energy-should-not-be-part-of-the-global-solution-to-climate-change/620392/

#403 1 year ago

there's actually no meltdown risk with current designs. That's been designed out.

#404 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

there's actually no meltdown risk with current designs. That's been designed out.

I think some versions of the 'molten salt' reactors wont melt down, they self-regulate.

This thread's a little bit off the rails but maybe it ties into helping recharge all the future EV's given the very high current requirements.

#405 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Hate to break it to you, but that paper is a one sided joke. Reactors aren't built with 60's tech anymore. There's no weaponization risk. No meltdown risk. It's like saying driving isn't safe, but you're in a 64 GTO with no airbags or seatbelts or safety enhancements of the last 60 years.
    And as far as taking a long time to build, there's no better time to start building than now.

Don't bother all that guy does is google his answers getting one sided info that he wholeheartly believes.

#406 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Quoted from mbwalker:

I think some versions of the 'molten salt' reactors wont melt down, they self-regulate.

There is also Thorium reactors (and thorium can be used as a fuel in molten salt reactors). Thorium has tremendous properties including no meltdown risk, hard to weaponize, MUCH shorter half-life and it is very plentiful (the U.S. has an estimated 1,000 year supply).

#407 1 year ago

Just venting frustration, I guess.

"The five big oil companies raised prices at gas pumps and that made them a whopping $59 billion in profits — that’s just during the 2nd quarter of this year". Been reading about a lot of companies raising prices while also making record profits at the same time. Gas efficiency or EVs only help so much.

#408 1 year ago

Work from home. I save about $2k a year that way. My car has 12k miles on it after 3.5 years.

#409 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Work from home. I save about $2k a year that way. My car has 12k miles on it after 3.5 years.

Don't you mean working on your home

#410 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Don't you mean working on your home

Ha! That's the second 40-hour work week that I have. The first 40 hours pay for that half.

#411 1 year ago

Okay, this was a shock. I've been getting gas from an ARCO station in Artesia that's next to the 91 Freeway. Last Wednesday night and paid $5.79 for Regular Unleaded.
    Went to the same station last night, and Regular Unleaded was $5.25.
    54 cents a gallon less!

#412 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Okay, this was a shock. I've been getting gas from an ARCO station in Artesia that's next to the 91 Freeway. Last Wednesday night and paid $5.79 for Regular Unleaded.
    Went to the same station last night, and Regular Unleaded was $5.25.
    54 cents a gallon less!

you mean still $3+ high

#413 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

you mean still $3+ high

Ancient eras aren't ever coming back. Meaning, prices aren't going to come down to some magic time. That's just basic economics, like a loaf of bread once costing a nickel. But if you can convince OPEC+ to sell at a dollar a barrel, Russia to leave the Ukraine, China, India and other developing countries to go back to the horse and cart, and convince the oil companies to stop price gouging, I am right there with you.

#414 1 year ago

It's weird that you consider 2016-2020 an ancient era.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #425 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

It's weird that you consider 2016-2020 an ancient era.[quoted image]

Yeah, sorry, but I don't live in states on the low end of that average. But again, you aren't going to see prices get lower - there's more demand around the globe, and there's a war going on. And as I've already pointed out, the gas companies are using the excuses to gouge us.

#428 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

you mean still $3+ high

So you'd rather pay 54 cents more a gallon?

2 weeks later
    #429 1 year ago

I saw a 26 cent difference between two stations just a quarter mile from each other. Half of the cheaper place's pumps were dry and there were lines 4 cars deep at the other positions. It's a smaller Murphy USA station by Walmart and they frequently sell out when they are the cheapest. Also noticed as unleaded hovers around $3 per gallon, diesel continues to go up and maintain over $5 per gallon.

#430 1 year ago

Colorado seems pretty constant, gas was at 3 even this morning at the local market. Costco same. I see the gas companies are still posting record quarters of profit, ah, capitalism at it's finest. At least it's been pretty constant.

#431 1 year ago

We now went from $2.99 to $3.39 in a couple of hours. Guessing election drama.

#432 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

We now went from $2.99 to $3.39 in a couple of hours. Guessing election drama.

Yeah, it does seem probable - locally manipulated. They must think the public is stupid.

#433 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yeah, it does seem probable - locally manipulated. They must think the public is stupid.

Just go buy a $60,000 EV already so you can stop worrying about the gas going up and down 30 cents.
    Never understood why you are so active in this thread about gas and then run over to the EV thread and bash ICE drivers.

#434 1 year ago

If a company can make an EV behave just like a manual transmission then I might be interested. I'm not talking about paddle shifters either.

1 week later
    #435 1 year ago

Never liked paddle shifters. Too "Apple-ish"? Anyway, it's after the elections, inflation is falling, and the gas prices in CO remain constant at around 3.19.

#436 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Never liked paddle shifters. Too "Apple-ish"? Anyway, it's after the elections, inflation is falling, and the gas prices in CO remain constant at around 3.19.

Inflation is falling? This is why you have no credibility here.

#437 1 year ago

According to the recent PPI numbers the Rate of inflation (how fast/slow it is increasing) is slowing yes. Inflation itself no.

#438 1 year ago

And that number is heavily manipulated to exclude food, energy, and other factors. Effective rate of inflation that is being observed is more like 17% at minimum. Meaning 1 dollar a year ago is now worth #0.83 today. Not surprising given 40% of our current money supply was printed in the last 2 years.

#439 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

And that number is heavily manipulated to exclude food, energy, and other factors. Effective rate of inflation that is being observed is more like 17% at minimum. Meaning 1 dollar a year ago is now worth #0.83 today. Not surprising given 40% of our current money supply was printed in the last 2 years.

Sure, but I don’t have a handy dandy chart of change in the effective inflation rate in front of me. Could you tell me/show me how that is holding up?

Edit: also, I am guessing mr frosty was referring to the PPI when he made his comment.

#440 1 year ago

I don't go by charts, I go by what I see in the stores, the gas pumps, and my other regular expenses. Boots on the ground. That's why you can't trust the "official" CPI results.

#441 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

Edit: also, I am guessing mr frosty was referring to the PPI when he made his comment.

Yes, I meant the PPI, which is an early indicator for the inflation rate. I should have been more precise, thank you. Saw gas at 3.01 today.

#442 1 year ago

I understand and I do agree that the various indices are not perfect, but they are tools that allow for consistency in data comparisons and also a consistent language for discussion.

Problem with using individual “boots on the ground” type data is that it is massively subjective and distorted. Ex: for my son, he is seeing deflation because the Pokémon cards he wanted are heavily discounted right now. Last year they were jacked up and have been coming down in price as production has finally overshot demand. I think we could all agree that his experience is not an accurate portrayal of the inflationary pressures in the economy writ large. But for him, his purchase power has never been higher.

#443 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I don't go by charts, I go by what I see in the stores, the gas pumps, and my other regular expenses. Boots on the ground. That's why you can't trust the "official" CPI results.

Just look at anything that used to be under a dollar five years ago like a Tortino's pizza. Was 89 cents. Then it went to a $1.30, now a penny under $2. All of these grocery items that you don't think much about, but are now 50% or more higher adds up quick. You fill the cart and have to do a double take when checking out. At this point I only buy meat when it's marked down for quick sale. If I can't use in a day or two I just freeze it.

Edit: Also, I never used to see meat and other parishable items marked down for clearance at a reputable grocery like I have the last year. Less people are buying things like steaks or the designer meats and now get marked down.

#444 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Just look at anything that used to be under a dollar five years ago like a Tortino's pizza. Was 89 cents. Then it went to a $1.30, now a penny under $2. All of these grocery items that you don't think much about, but are now 50% or more higher adds up quick. You fill the cart and have to do a double take when checking out. At this point I only buy meat when it's marked down for quick sale. If I can't use in a day or two I just freeze it.
    Edit: Also, I never used to see meat and other parishable items marked down for clearance at a reputable grocery like I have the last year. Less people are buying things like steaks or the designer meats and now get marked down.

It seems every time I grocery shop I notice some items that have gone up in price tremendously. Last year I was paying $1.49 for a head of iceberg lettuce. Two weeks ago it was $1.99. Now it's $3.99. Last year a dozen eggs was $2.19. Now it's $5.99. The price of chips and snacks is up so much I mostly stopped buying them--probably a good thing!

On topic, gas is $3.79/gal here and diesel is nearly $6/gal--which certainly has an effect on the aforementioned food prices.

#445 1 year ago

On top of that price increases from value added taxes like the raw materials, packaging, and fuel costs compound on some items more than others.

#446 1 year ago

I tend to shop at Trader Joes, which has most of the basics and other things much cheaper than grocery stores. Costco is another place I shop, when I have the space - they are amazing on bulk prices - they were the go-to during the great TP shortage.

Now, there is one thing I get at the higher end grocery stores - whole bean coffee. I love trying new beans. But even that usually comes out to about 11 per package, and that lasts for two weeks, so not bad. Target can be a good source for groceries, too. Like everything, the strategy is to get the best prices from a few stores. I also rarely do prepared foods, so it's a lot cheaper and healthier.

#447 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

Last year a dozen eggs was $2.19. Now it's $5.99. .

This must be a local thing. I can still get brown, cage-free eggs for about 2 per dozen.

#448 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

On topic, gas is $3.79/gal here and diesel is nearly $6/gal--which certainly has an effect on the aforementioned food prices.

The last few months it's varied between $2.79 and $2.89 here at Sam's club. That means over $3 at the other stations. I believe this is the new norm.

#449 1 year ago

I agree with you. Although you gotta be careful saying this phrase. There’s another thread where you get put into a terrible classification of people if you do anything based on belief.

#450 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I agree with you. Although you gotta be careful saying this phrase. There’s another thread where you get put into a terrible classification of people if you do anything based on belief.

Which one?

There are 1,185 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.