Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,185 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by frisbez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Smudge Drivers Licence (resized).jpg
    IMG_5328 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    ClpVeL5XEAErG2J.jpg-large (resized).jpeg
    smokey-social (resized).jpg
    20240418_170448 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    There are 1,185 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.
    #201 1 year ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

Question is, should we re-open drilling and exploration so we can support our own asses

They have all the drilling permits they need, the oil companies are sitting on them. They don't want to drill because that would lower the price of their product. I seem to recall the current admin wanted to get them to "shit or get off the pot", to use a midwestern phrase, and take the permits back to give to someone who will drill.

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

That's not true. What you are repeating is a lie. Taught to you by those who want you ignorant for their political gain. It started when we finally got a handle on Covid, took it seriously, and then when we came out of lockdown, the demand for gas, which had been depressed, rebounded, driving up the price. Supply and demand. Then, when Russia invaded Ukraine, that supply got smaller. I've heard this lie repeated often here, and who ever told you different, is lying to you. To be clear, and non-partisan, NO administration has any control over the private sector. And this is a world wide problem, not an American one. To think any administration of any stripe could drive up the price of gas all around the world, all at once, is pure political blinders.

Doesn't seem like you can sell EV's if gas prices are low. It's all planned!!

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

They have all the drilling permits they need, the oil companies are sitting on them. They don't want to drill because that would lower the price of their product. I seem to recall the current admin wanted to get them to "shit or get off the pot", to use a midwestern phrase, and take the permits back to give to someone who will drill.

You must be in the business?

#204 1 year ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

No, I followed the story and read a lot of articles. Some of this was in TransCanada's filings. Did you know even before the pipeline was halted TransCanada had accidentally leaked 210,000 barrels of tar sands oil (really awful stuff, much worse than regular oil) on North Dakota's soil? It's of no concern to the conversation of high gas prices, but this was going to go over one of our largest American aquifers. More on point, the last TWO administrations both concluded that the Keystone pipeline would have no impact on gas prices. I want to make that clear - the last TWO - both US political parties - found the same thing.

#205 1 year ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

Salesman?

1 week later
    #206 1 year ago

Gas prices are down 10 cents in my area this week. What??

#207 1 year ago

Gas prices are still slowly coming down. I wonder if $5 will buy me a whole gallon of ethanol free this time?

#208 1 year ago

Former California gas station manager John Szczecina said he lost his job over a decimal point error: Instead of listing his station's premium gas price as $6.99 per gallon, he posted a price of 69 cents a gallon.

Drivers soon lined up after friends and family members posted photos on social media and alerted them to the low cost of gas at the Rancho Cordova station — an unheard of price given that the average per gallon cost of regular gasoline is now $5.01 and premium gasoline costs an average of $5.69, according to data from AAA.

"It was a mistake that I did," Szczecina told CBS 13 in Sacramento. "I put all three prices on there except the diesel, but the last one kind of didn't go, you know, right."

#209 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Former California gas station manager John Szczecina said he lost his job over a decimal point error: Instead of listing his station's premium gas price as $6.99 per gallon, he posted a price of 69 cents a gallon.
    Drivers soon lined up after friends and family members posted photos on social media and alerted them to the low cost of gas at the Rancho Cordova station — an unheard of price given that the average per gallon cost of regular gasoline is now $5.01 and premium gasoline costs an average of $5.69, according to data from AAA.
    "It was a mistake that I did," Szczecina told CBS 13 in Sacramento. "I put all three prices on there except the diesel, but the last one kind of didn't go, you know, right."

He said his Boss fired Him and told him when you get home if you hear someone at your door dont answer because it will be a process server.Hes suing for the 24k mistake.

#212 1 year ago

Yes, again pipelines work. Without getting political, we were energy independent 2 years ago before the Keystone pipeline was cut off at the knees on January 20, 2021.

#213 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yes, again pipelines work.

They sure do.

Pipeline-Map (resized).pngPipeline-Map (resized).png
    #214 1 year ago

If you don’t understand simple supply and demand I don’t know what to tell you.

#215 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charles_Kline:

If you don’t understand simple supply and demand I don’t know what to tell you.

I understand completely! Can you understand failed economic policies?

#216 1 year ago

Perhaps more important than the cost of gas right now is that the USA is running out of oil for Deisel engines. It's estimated that there is enough Deisel Oil til August and the Manufacturing plants are not producing the additives that they need right now to produce the Deisel oil. A trucker typically changes their oil every 2-3 months at a cost of $300-$400 per oil change. This could have a major impact on supply lines....even more than Deisel gas. It's hard to believe that all of this is not planned and designed to destroy the economy and put a real hurting on every single citizen in this country. Companies could easily ramp up production on this stuff......there are no excuses.

#217 1 year ago

Interesting, thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of that!

#218 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Interesting, thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of that!

Change your station

#219 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Change your station

I initially found out about the diesel fuel shortage via YouTube journalists, not mainstream media. Specifically Economic Ninja's channel. I'll have to check again to see if he is covering the diesel oil situation too.

#220 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Perhaps more important than the cost of gas right now is that the USA is running out of oil for Deisel engines. It's estimated that there is enough Deisel Oil til August and the Manufacturing plants are not producing the additives that they need right now to produce the Deisel oil.

Are you talking about Diesel fuel itself used for combustion or the oil used to lubricate the moving parts of the engine?

Diesel fuel itself is a byproduct of the crude oil refining process, so if we are refining crude, we are making diesel. It used to just be waste until some guy, last name Diesel designed an engine to run on this byproduct.
    And we are continuing to refining crude, so I'm not sure where there is a shortage of the lubrication fluids, other than still ramping up production from the pandemic era shut downs? Unfortunately drilling rigs nor refineries can just instantly turn on their productions.

#221 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Are you talking about Diesel fuel itself used for combustion or the oil used to lubricate the moving parts of the engine?
    Diesel fuel itself is a byproduct of the crude oil refining process, so if we are refining crude, we are making diesel. It used to just be waste until some guy, last name Diesel designed an engine to run on this byproduct.
    And we are continuing to refining crude, so I'm not sure where there is a shortage of the lubrication fluids, other than still ramping up production from the pandemic era shut downs? Unfortunately drilling rigs nor refineries can just instantly turn on their productions.

The petroleum industry ramp up happened quickly - what’s happening right now is that demand for diesel (and specifically the additives) is very very high, because all the OTHER industries are trying to keep up with their own (inflated due to the pandemic lull) demand. It will settle - if only because the global supply chain is still crazy. If more trucks are using diesel, it means boats can’t refuel as often, and stuff won’t make it to the destination as quickly. Global economics is fun! But it’s even more fun when countries are not working together

#222 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #223 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The petroleum industry ramp up happened quickly - what’s happening right now is that demand for diesel (and specifically the additives) is very very high, because all the OTHER industries are trying to keep up with their own (inflated due to the pandemic lull) demand. It will settle

I don't think it has happened that quick, else why would crude be still greater than $100 per bbl? Our company supplies various items for upstream and downstream production, we are selling crap we have not sold in YEARS. We had a record month the last two months, I mean record from the past 10 years.
    I'm further confused by the consumption of the diesel fuel, I continue to read about trucker shortages etc, how did the amount of diesel trucks operating globally double or triple to pre-pandemic levels which would generate such a shortage if the petroleum industry has ramped to pre-pandemic levels?
    Is it not simple supply and demand, the global economies have drastically (finally) ramped by up from the pandemic and thus demand for all products from the refining process for crude is still through the roof. Since diesel is a byproduct of the refinement process, and that process has still to ramp to pre-pandemic levels, there is simply less diesel to go around, which is why in my area it is well over $5 / gallon.
    I'm not an economist, nor a petroleum engineer, but from where I sit, I've not seen capacity numbers on crude refinement being what it was, I just speak from my experience of selling oil field MRO product.

#224 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Perhaps more important than the cost of gas right now is that the USA is running out of oil for Deisel engines. It's estimated that there is enough Deisel Oil til August and the Manufacturing plants are not producing the additives that they need right now to produce the Deisel oil. A trucker typically changes their oil every 2-3 months at a cost of $300-$400 per oil change. This could have a major impact on supply lines....even more than Deisel gas. It's hard to believe that all of this is not planned and designed to destroy the economy and put a real hurting on every single citizen in this country. Companies could easily ramp up production on this stuff......there are no excuses.

This is what makes them happy!

#225 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I don't think it has happened that quick, else why would crude be still greater than $100 per bbl? Our company supplies various items for upstream and downstream production, we are selling crap we have not sold in YEARS.

I forgot about this tool, does not look like we have come back to where we were pre-pandemic just yet.
    But then again, this is the internet where anyone can find anything to defend their point of view.

#226 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yes, again pipelines work. Without getting political, we were energy independent 2 years ago before the Keystone pipeline was cut off at the knees on January 20, 2021.

This is a lie. Whoever told you that, was lying to you. The Keystone pipeline was NEVER operational. And both - to be clear, both political parties of the last two administrations found the same thing - the Keystone pipeline would have no measurable effect on gas prices. Look it up, but don't repeat lies from political agendas.

#227 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The petroleum industry ramp up happened quickly - what’s happening right now is that demand for diesel (and specifically the additives) is very very high, because all the OTHER industries are trying to keep up with their own (inflated due to the pandemic lull) demand. It will settle - if only because the global supply chain is still crazy. If more trucks are using diesel, it means boats can’t refuel as often, and stuff won’t make it to the destination as quickly. Global economics is fun! But it’s even more fun when countries are not working together

Exactly. https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/global-diesel-shortage-raises-risk-oil-price-spike-kemp-2022-03-11/

"The rapid rebound in economic activity after the first wave of the pandemic and associated lockdowns, and its focus on diesel-intensive manufacturing and freight, has boosted use of the fuel.

At the same time, refiners have restrained crude processing to deplete the excess stocks that built up during the coronavirus recession and adapt to lower demand from passenger airlines for jet fuel.

But the continued depletion of distillate inventories has become unsustainable.

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the subsequent boycott of Russian fuel threatens to make diesel shortages worse"

Because our rebound from 2020 has been so successful, supply chains have been straining to catch up. And this is again a global issue, not just us.

#228 1 year ago

The same Murphy's gas station that goes dry once a month was out again this morning, on a Saturday! Interesting. I have a feeling they dropped their prices too low.

#229 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

The same Murphy's gas station that goes dry once a month was out again this morning, on a Saturday! Interesting. I have a feeling they dropped their prices too low.

I noticed prices at the station I use in CA dropped a dime from last week. Can we hope? Anyway, that's what it is.

#230 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

This is dedicated to all of your down votes ! They're all in denial

#231 1 year ago

Location / Price Drop / Current Average
    District of Columbia -$0.15 $5.06
    Florida -$0.12 $4.72
    Indiana -$0.12 $5.05
    Maryland -$0.11 $4.88
    South Carolina -$0.11 $4.46
    Wisconsin -$0.10 $4.77
    Ohio -$0.09 $4.91
    Michigan -$0.09 $5.09
    Kentucky -$0.09 $4.66
    Texas -$0.09 $4.58

Current gas price drops for these states. Sorry the formatting isn't that great.

#232 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Florida -$0.12 $4.72

I just paid ~$4.33 at a Buc-ee's in Florida yesterday.

#233 1 year ago

We have Buc-ee's in our area coming soon, hopefully next year. It will be interesting to see how much cheaper the gas is, if at all.

#234 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Location / Price Drop / Current Average
    District of Columbia -$0.15 $5.06
    Florida -$0.12 $4.72
    Indiana -$0.12 $5.05
    Maryland -$0.11 $4.88
    South Carolina -$0.11 $4.46
    Wisconsin -$0.10 $4.77
    Ohio -$0.09 $4.91
    Michigan -$0.09 $5.09
    Kentucky -$0.09 $4.66
    Texas -$0.09 $4.58
    Current gas price drops for these states. Sorry the formatting isn't that great.

Quoted from mcluvin:

I just paid ~$4.33 at a Buc-ee's in Florida yesterday.

Quoted from Crash:

We have Buc-ee's in our area coming soon, hopefully next year. It will be interesting to see how much cheaper the gas is, if at all.

Monday I gassed up at an Arco just off the 91 Freeway in Cerritos and paid $5.87. Thought I did pretty good until I went north about two miles and found another Arco charging $5.79.
    But overall, prices in the area are down about 25 cents a gallon so far in the last week.

#235 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

The Buc-ee's I have visited are competitive, but not cheaper. The point is they are a big county store from Texas with gifts, BBQ sandwiches, and candy, etc and a giant gas station with 100+ pumps. They are fun to check out and take a break on a road trip, so essentially a tourist trap.

#236 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I hope you don't really believe that. Started when someone took office.

So true!

2 weeks later
    #238 1 year ago

Cannot see who you responded to, since they are blocked. But don't spread that lie here. The Keystone pipeline was looked at by both a republican and a Democratic administration - so no politics here - and BOTH determined that it would in no way affect gas prices in the US.

On good news, it's great to see the gas prices continuing to fall for the second straight month!

#240 1 year ago

Gas prices began rising in April of 2020 as a result of supply disruptions brought on by COVID. So, not even close to true. Plus, this is a GLOBAL fuel shortage.

https://www.statista.com/chart/26882/us-energy-costs-natural-gas-gasoline-electricity/

#241 1 year ago

Gas continues to fall at a good rate due to a strong dollar (failing foreign currencies) and less consumption. Production remains the same since 2020 and begging foreign leaders for oil is just asinine when we have the ability to import it from Canada and produce it ourselves on federal lands (just no permits).

The the gallon of ethanol free has been lasting me quite a long time. Fuel economy of my push mower is excellent.

#242 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Gas prices began rising in April of 2020 as a result of supply disruptions brought on by COVID. So, not even close to true. Plus, this is a GLOBAL fuel shortage.
    https://www.statista.com/chart/26882/us-energy-costs-natural-gas-gasoline-electricity/

I think you mean 2021 when there was an administration change.
    https://turnpikeinfo.com/news/2021/04/

#243 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I think you mean 2021 when there was an administration change.
    https://turnpikeinfo.com/news/2021/04/

NO, that's exactly what didn't have anything to do with the global gas prices. The chart I posted shows you it started in 2020, under the LAST administration (and nobody in that admin was to blame there either - this is non-political).

#244 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

NO, that's exactly what didn't have anything to do with the global gas prices. The chart I posted shows you it started in 2020, under the LAST administration (and nobody in that admin was to blame there either - this is non-political).

Did you even look at the data I posted? You can clearly see fuel prices for every month and year.
    I know I won't change your opinion, but you won't change mine either.

#245 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Did you even look at the data I posted? You can clearly see fuel prices for every month and year.
    I know I won't change your opinion, but you won't change mine either.

Yes, I understand you want to make it political when it isn't. Your site doesn't show the trendline, which is the key thing here. I am not saying the numbers don't match, they probably do. But it's just easier to see in mine. Now, I'd love it to be lower, and in fact, it is falling. But let's stick to the facts, shall we? If you want to believe differently, fine, just accept that you are doing so despite the evidence to the contrary. This is a global issue, but even so, the US still pays less for gas than other first world countries. Being a global issue that started because of and during the COVID pandemic, and then further exacerbated by Russian's invasion of Ukraine, I'm just glad to see the prices going down. I hope they continue, but we are in the summer travel months, so it will be curious to see.

#246 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yes, I understand you want to make it political when it isn't.

Not making it political, just stating the facts.

#247 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Not making it political, just stating the facts.

Cool, then I misunderstood. And our facts are the same (I'll have to plot your data as a graph to confirm). I just want to make certain we are interpreting the data the same way.

#248 1 year ago

Numbers are numbers. Gas affects 100% of working class Americans, regardless if you are political or not, regardless of what administration is in charge. Production gets cut, it affects prices and availability. Simple economics.

I'm trying to keep politics out of this but some participants want to polarize this issue, which is actually against the forum rules. I'm not blaming one political party over the other, I'm blaming bad policy regardless of whose policy it is.

What's so hard to grasp about this?

#249 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

What's so hard to grasp about this?

Nothing at all. But I don't see any bad policies to complain about. I just see global issues affecting it all.

#250 1 year ago

What harm would there be if there was a separate forum to discuss politics? If you don't wish to see anything political, don't click on the political forum. Same thing with TV, if I don't like something I just don't watch it. I don't try and stop others from watching something I don't like .
    You'd be doing the moderators a big favor,since they wouldn't have to be a watch dog, since anything goes.
    Maybe call it the "Anything goes forum.

There are 1,185 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.