Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,142 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    20240412_061659 (resized).jpg
    20240411_101230 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4826 (resized).jpg
    20240410_190744 (resized).jpg
    image000000(3) (resized).jpg
    IMG_4718 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4625 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,142 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 23.
    #151 1 year ago

If you have a QuikTrip in your area, they offer 90 octane ethanol free gas. Premium is $4.49, the ethanol free is only $4.54. So for 5 cents more I get 10% more gasoline per gallon vs. distilling premium and still get the same octane. That 10% more gas per gallon is worth $0.45. Yes, please.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I'm going to take the carburetor off this 1985 Briggs and Stratton engine for my oldest mower. It doesn't want to stay running. I imagine the diaphragm ruined from the ethanol fuel all those years and the filter screen/main jet are probably gummed up.

Post some pictures. We're all bored waiting for the next pin release.

#153 1 year ago

With the homemade ethanol free gas, it appears I still have over half a tank left after cutting my front yard!
    DSC_2783 (resized).JPGDSC_2783 (resized).JPG

#154 1 year ago

Can I get a closer look in your hole?

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Can I get a closer look in your hole?

#156 1 year ago

Are you saying that for your last tank you doubled your fuel efficiency (from the comment you ran out with 1 strip left) with the ethanol free gas?

#157 1 year ago

Well, since the gas went "terrible" for a couple of weeks there. Compared to that yeah, it's quite a bit of an improvement. Compared to normal days though, I'd say it's still an improvement. My yard gets full sun and I have to cut it every week. Even then it's thick, so the extra power I get out of the mower with the ethanol free is a big help. And the engine runs smoother.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Post some pictures. We're all bored waiting for the next pin release.

Well, I mean, the diaphragm looked good to my untrained eye. But I don't know what I'm looking for. I removed the carb, sprayed it out with the hose using light pressure, and let it air dry. I cleared out the main jet. Siphon screen is clear. I cleaned up around the tank and ensured no water or debris entered the tank ports. I did see some old varnished gas in the divot/cup of the tank the fuel comes up through and I cleaned that out with carb cleaner. I did not use carb cleaner on the carbeurator as the acetone would dissolve the plastic.

Now it doesn't start, even the next day. Maybe there's still water in the main jet, but I have a feeling it's pulling air from around the tank gasket, that doesn't exist. There's no gasket on this thing and there should be one. So that's what I'll replace next with a new diaphragm.

DSC_2836 (resized).JPGDSC_2836 (resized).JPG

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Well, I mean, the diaphragm looked good to my untrained eye. But I don't know what I'm looking for. I removed the carb, sprayed it out with the hose using light pressure, and let it air dry. I cleared out the main jet. Siphon screen is clear. I cleaned up around the tank and ensured no water or debris entered the tank ports. I did see some old varnished gas in the divot/cup of the tank the fuel comes up through and I cleaned that out with carb cleaner. I did not use carb cleaner on the carbeurator as the acetone would dissolve the plastic.
    Now it doesn't start, even the next day. Maybe there's still water in the main jet, but I have a feeling it's pulling air from around the tank gasket, that doesn't exist. There's no gasket on this thing and there should be one. So that's what I'll replace next with a new diaphragm.
    [quoted image]

Wonder if you could use MAF cleaner? I think those are safe for plastic (check first tho).

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/mass-air-flow-sensor-cleaner-11-wt-oz.html

#160 1 year ago

Well I still didn't see anything, but I blew out the main jet and the fuel tube that comes up from the bottom of the tank using canned air. This worked! No new diaphragm needed, my rebuild "kit" doesn't have have a gasket! It fired on the second pull and ran fine after the third pull. It now starts reliably and idles low. I added Sea Foam to this engine as well and mowed some with no hiccups. And a new air filter.

Gonna switch this little guy over to ethanol free as well after this tank.

#161 1 year ago

Oh so I eeked out over 27 MPH on my recent tank, however it was 93 octane and an added octane booster bottle.
    The Ethanol free just didn't feel like it was running as good as I wanted.
    Also no driving past the century mark, traffic has been to heavy.
    The last two measures were only at 24MPG thus happy again to push past 27.
    My experiment of E free has come to a close aside from running it in the mower.
    I will continue to calculate fuel consumption to watch for engine issues but likely won't update here unless of calamity.

Screenshot_20220531-161505_Calculator (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220531-161505_Calculator (resized).jpg
    #162 1 year ago

Wow. MPG down to the ten thousandth of an inch per gallon.

#163 1 year ago

I've been staying in any area with a lot of traffic lights. My fuel consumption went from averaging ~22 MPG city where I usually live to ~18 MPG there.

#164 1 year ago

As I finished distilling my ethanol free gas I noticed this foamy slimy looking stuff between the gas and ethanol/water mixture after separation. I drained it off. I think the "premium" gas I got was pretty poor quality. The gas itself never appeared clear after letting it sit for quite a while after mixing.

DSC_2889 (resized).JPGDSC_2889 (resized).JPGDSC_2890 (resized).JPGDSC_2890 (resized).JPG

#165 1 year ago

Exxon profits DOUBLED in last Quarter.Greedy Bastards

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Exxon profits DOUBLED in last Quarter.Greedy Bastards

Got to make up for 2020 and 2021!

#167 1 year ago

Good thing I don't use Exxon!

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Good thing I don't use Exxon!

Thats just the example I read I bet the rest of the companys are about the same.

#169 1 year ago

Oil prices started to creep up in late 2021 due to supply constraints, but then turbocharged after Russia invaded Ukraine in February. For Chevron, the upshot was $6.3 billion in profits last quarter, up from $1.4 billion a year ago. For Exxon Mobil, profits more than doubled in the same period, to $5.5 billion.

#170 1 year ago

I'm at 13.5 MPG and it hasn't budged since I bought it over a year ago.

#171 1 year ago

I forgot to add GREEDY BASTARDS again

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Oil prices started to creep up in late 2021 due to supply constraints, but then turbocharged after Russia invaded Ukraine in February. For Chevron, the upshot was $6.3 billion in profits last quarter, up from $1.4 billion a year ago. For Exxon Mobil, profits more than doubled in the same period, to $5.5 billion.

I have a brother working in the oil fields in Oklahoma and Texas,he hasnt got a penny more on his paychecks.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Most smart folks know why we have high gas prices, pinside doesn't allow saying it though.

Sure we can. Russia

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I have a brother working in the oil fields in Oklahoma and Texas,he hasnt got a penny more on his paychecks.

Do they pay him less when gas prices tank?

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Most smart folks know why we have high gas prices, pinside doesn't allow saying it though.

I would say if you follow the facts its easy to see. All these countries decided to go green, ours included ....however there was no plan for the transition .....gas is now the evil villian, so they tried to force people to buy electric cars ....problem is most of the general population can't really afford them, 50K is what they paid for the house or trailer or whatever they live in .....50k for a car that needs a 16k battery in 7 years is way to much of an ask. Add supply bottlenecks, intricate chemistry of batteries , chip shortages and the war and you have the current mess that we are in. The fact that all of the oil companys see the writing on the wall where we will no longer use gas and oil and its the last extravaganza to produce less and make as much as possible.. That is true capitalism at work....Right now making your own ethonal makes economic sense especially if you use solar still's to get to 5% and then wood to go the rest of the way....which is where we are headed if we keep going down this path....We don't need another Elon Musk right now we need that back woods shade tree inventor that can convert an ICE car to an electric one that also has a generator to charge the batteries while driving to get 85mpg.and a minimum 400 mile range..... necessatiy will create the future reguardless of the oligarch's that made the decisions that put us here in the first place....the real culprits .......The World Economic Forum

#176 1 year ago

Do they pay him less when gas prices tank?</blockquo
    Yes,They dont pay when they decrease production and send people home.

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I would say if you follow the facts its easy to see. All these countries decided to go green, ours included ....however there was no plan for the transition .....gas is now the evil villian, so they tried to force people to buy electric cars ....problem is most of the general population can't really afford them, 50K is what they paid for the house or trailer or whatever they live in .....50k for a car that needs a 16k battery in 7 years is way to much of an ask. Add supply bottlenecks, intricate chemistry of batteries , chip shortages and the war and you have the current mess that we are in. The fact that all of the oil companys see the writing on the wall where we will no longer use gas and oil and its the last extravaganza to produce less and make as much as possible.. That is true capitalism at work....Right now making your own ethonal makes economic sense especially if you use solar still's to get to 5% and then wood to go the rest of the way....which is where we are headed if we keep going down this path....We don't need another Elon Musk right now we need that back woods shade tree inventor that can convert an ICE car to an electric one that also has a generator to charge the batteries while driving to get 85mpg.and a minimum 400 mile range..... necessatiy will create the future reguardless of the oligarch's that made the decisions that put us here in the first place....the real culprits .......The World Economic Forum

For your conspiracy theory to be solid, you'd have to be able to point to some legislation or action taken against the oil companies that has resulted in our current high demand, low supply state. And where is the declaration that America is going all green? Nobody in power has acted on that or declared some immediate transition. As a goal, yes. But that's a long term thing, and this is right now, short term. The politicians - those not just for big oil, all say the same thing - we need both right now. And why don't you mention Russia at all, when they are the biggest reason why gas is high - that, and normal summer demand + greater demand since we've gotten through Covid, which also depressed gas prices artificially?

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

Do they pay him less when gas prices tank?

I seem to recall they laid off a bunch of oil workers during Covid. Didn't they?

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

And why don't you mention Russia

I did maybe I didn't spell it out but when you cut 25% of the world supply naturally there are shortages

plus OPEC has decided to keep production low

Quoted from MtnFrost:

Nobody in power has acted on that or declared some immediate transition

they didn't have too Ford, Chevy and Gm all jumped on board and shut down assembly lines for ICE cars and converted gave priority to EV lines

#180 1 year ago

Covid tanked global demand (remember $0 oil for a few hours?) Suppliers cut production as a result.

End of covid spiked global demand while simultaneously Russian sanctions tanked global supply

Of course prices are high. We'll get more frackers coming online which will help supply, but if you want cheaper oil sooner, hope the Russian bullshit ends soon.

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I did maybe I didn't spell it out but when you cut 25% of the world supply naturally there are shortages
    plus OPEC has decided to keep production low

Agreed.

Quoted from the9gman:

they didn't have too Ford, Chevy and Gm all jumped on board and shut down assembly lines for ICE cars and converted gave priority to EV lines

No, Ford, Chevy and GM all looked at where technology was going, where they could make the most money, and after looking at the tech, decided for purely corporate profits where their best bet was. Nothing beyond their shareholders and the data was needed. I should point out that retooling is not cheap nor a short range plan, so they all agree this is where the future lays.

#182 1 year ago

Makes sense, a drawback of working for a monopolistic corporation. They treat the employees and consumers equally bad.

#183 1 year ago

Pipelines also work.

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Pipelines also work.

Only when they are bringing product into America, not across our aquifers using Canadian workers, and then sent to foreign markets.

#185 1 year ago

at one point it was negative oil !

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Sure we can. Russia

... and greed.

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:Sure we can. Russia

I hope you don't really believe that. Started when someone took office.

#188 1 year ago

Most of our oil was coming from Keystone.

#189 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I believe this article would back his position

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2022/03/13/how-much-of-the-gasoline-price-surge-is-president-bidens-fault/?sh=627a313a7c8b

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

That's not true. What you are repeating is a lie. Taught to you by those who want you ignorant for their political gain. It started when we finally got a handle on Covid, took it seriously, and then when we came out of lockdown, the demand for gas, which had been depressed, rebounded, driving up the price. Supply and demand. Then, when Russia invaded Ukraine, that supply got smaller. I've heard this lie repeated often here, and who ever told you different, is lying to you. To be clear, and non-partisan, NO administration has any control over the private sector. And this is a world wide problem, not an American one. To think any administration of any stripe could drive up the price of gas all around the world, all at once, is pure political blinders.

#191 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Most of our oil was coming from Keystone.

Ok, and this one is a dozy of a lie. The Keystone pipeline was meant to take Canadian sludge over one of our largest aquifers, to be refined on our Southern coast and then ALL of it sent to foreign markets. This was in their official filings, by the way. And using Canadian workers, on top of it. Whoever is lying to you, you need to read and educate yourself. I don't mean to sound harsh, but just start reading, turn off the TV. I suggest Forbes, the NYTimes, and BBC America. But find your own national and international sources, and find as many sources not attached to the same parent company.

#193 1 year ago

-

#194 1 year ago

IBTL

#195 1 year ago

Is their a Pinside obssessed with a thread award? MtnFrost wins the award for this one.

My MPG has remained the same, but this high gas crap is getting old. It wouldn't be so bad if the car market wasn't just a messed up.

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Is their a Pinside obssessed with a thread award? MtnFrost wins the award for this one.
    My MPG has remained the same, but this high gas crap is getting old. It wouldn't be so bad if the car market wasn't just a messed up.

I only tell the truth. It's not my fault there is so much disinformation repeated here. I don't like the high prices either, but I'm going to place the blame on the real faults, not use it for other purposes.

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I only tell the truth. It's not my fault there is so much disinformation repeated here. I don't like the high prices either, but I'm going to place the blame on the real faults, not use it for other purposes.

Hey man, you got this covered, Chuck has the 1099 stuff covered, Levi price bubbles, Boob memes, Blueberry Deeproote, Johnny confessional, Punkin Haggis, your usuall JJP and Stern supporters, Bob EVs, FF scams, d0n flipping preorders, and Flynn every thread.

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Hey man, you got this covered, Chuck has the 1099 stuff covered, Levi price bubbles, Boob memes, Blueberry Deeproote, Johnny confessional, Punkin Haggis, your usuall JJP and Stern supporters, Bob EVs, FF scams, d0n flipping preorders, and Flynn every thread.

LOL. I am bowing out of this discussion, it's clear I can't contribute anything more than I have. Until Russia gets beat out of Ukraine, I don't see much hope of us getting any gas relief. But I really hope I'm wrong.

#199 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

LOL. I am bowing out of this discussion, it's clear I can't contribute anything more than I have. Until Russia gets beat out of Ukraine, I don't see much hope of us getting any gas relief. But I really hope I'm wrong.

It will, it's just how long will it take. However, $3 might be the new norm when it does come down.

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

don't see much hope of us getting any gas relief. But I really hope I'm wrong.

unfortunately you are right , Russia started this war to try and take away all of Ukraines oil and gas and shipping port assets . It is the reason that NATO is actually a good thing , due to all the countries in it have agreed to band together and not attack each other ...to work together in time of war in the case of dictatorships that just want to take other peoples land and assets....which is what we are witnessing right now. We are in NATO therefore it would be a highly unpopular position not to side with it so therefore we are stuck with this. Question is, should we re-open drilling and exploration so we can support our own asses

There are 1,142 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late/page/4?hl=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.