Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 281 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Pipeline-Map (resized).png
    DSC_2889 (resized).JPG
    DSC_2890 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20220531-161505_Calculator (resized).jpg
    DSC_2836 (resized).JPG
    DSC_2783 (resized).JPG
    youre-pushing-your-luck-little-man (resized).jpg
    20220507_122815.jpg
    Screenshot_20220507-094001_Calculator (resized).jpg
    EAF847F3-8007-4571-848C-A94DF132AE08 (resized).jpeg
    ethanol (resized).PNG
    20220504_174602 (resized).jpg

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 3 months ago

My Honda mower that runs awesome 105% of the time was chugging and struggling the first tank or so this spring after sitting since early November. Then I put fresh gas in it and it runs like new again. No doubt old ethanol gas had something to do with it!

#102 3 months ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I'm curious, do you actually change your fuel filter on your vehicle yearly? In my case, I'd be replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, as the filter is integrated within it, and not available separately. Acura has no replacement interval for a fuel filter in my vehicle. I've honestly never heard of anyone replacing their fuel filter annually, unless you run extremely low grade fuel.

I thought the same thing when I read that post. I could replace the fuel filters on my 20+ year old VW diesels easily, but my gas cars, I'd have to go back 30+ years to be able to do that. You gotta drop the fuel tank on modern Hondas and Toyotas....

#103 3 months ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I'm curious, do you actually change your fuel filter on your vehicle yearly? In my case, I'd be replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, as the filter is integrated within it, and not available separately. Acura has no replacement interval for a fuel filter in my vehicle. I've honestly never heard of anyone replacing their fuel filter annually, unless you run extremely low grade fuel.

I change this out every spring for around $9.00

C47602E0-3279-465F-8773-C9DB0E27CCA7 (resized).jpeg
    #104 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man 25mpg on 93 sounds like a dream to me!

This tank seems around my average 18.5ish

Well i failed to state it is a 4cyl turbo. If I didn't insist on reaching the speed limit as fast as possible I can squeeze out 35+ mpg. And that is even with the performance tuning.
    I do also use cruise control at every opportunity.
    I think that helps some.

#105 3 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Well i failed to state it is a 4cyl turbo. If I didn't insist on reaching the speed limit as fast as possible...

Same here on the first part...haven't learnt the second part

#106 3 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Well i failed to state it is a 4cyl turbo

What 4 cylinder turbo? I'm driving a 2019 Civic Type R. I average 22 but can almost hit 40 if i try hard on a road trip.

#107 3 months ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

My Honda mower that runs awesome 105% of the time was chugging and struggling the first tank or so this spring after sitting since early November. Then I put fresh gas in it and it runs like new again. No doubt old ethanol gas had something to do with it!

Yeah my mower runs "ok" with good power, but it sounds like it surges at times. But, this mower was put in storage some time around 2010 (thankfully the gas was drained first) so it may be gunk in the carburetor. Hopefully running ethanol free and some Sea Foam will improve that.

#109 3 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yeah my mower runs "ok" with good power, but it sounds like it surges at times. But, this mower was put in storage some time around 2010 (thankfully the gas was drained first) so it may be gunk in the carburetor. Hopefully running ethanol free and some Sea Foam will improve that.

My brother told me about this guy,and at first I thought he was a jackass! But he takes a dry subject and adds a little humor to it. I just hope I don't slip and say carbritrator, when I go to Napa for carburetor cleaner.

#110 3 months ago
    #111 3 months ago

Oh man, look what I found.
    Not sure how my 93 octane performance tune is gonna like it but if I'm paying more than $4 per gallon, I'm going to try this stuff. Too bad I didn't need a full tank today.

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp?statecode=TX

20220504_174602 (resized).jpg
    #112 3 months ago

I'll have to check for a 90 no ethanol tune map

And then find some 90 no ethanol

#113 3 months ago

Ok, I tried the backyard distilled ethanol free premium/super gas in my mower. It went from running ok-ish with regular gas to running quite smooth. The Honda engine on my mower has a design flaw with the automatic choke. With normal gas, it adjusts itself too wide and the engine starts, but it dies, regardless of air and engine temperature. To fix that, the previous owner and myself had to limit the auto choke with a paperclip to prevent it from going fully open. This worked, but it wasn't ideal.

Now with this nice ethanol free gas, I couldn't get it to start with the modified choke. I removed the paperclip and let the choke go full open and do its thing. Now the engine starts first pull and runs very well. No misses or surging. No pinging (I would hope so!). RPM is the same. I'm not sure if it has more power, seems to cut about the same. But it sounds really good. The choke thing may have to do with the pure gas having more energy per volume, requiring less choke and more air intake.

I made about 1.5L of this which was a bit much. So i just put the rest in my other mower that has regular 87 octane gas. I'll be able to test the fuel economy the next time I fully mow my front yard starting with a full tank.

#114 3 months ago

I can't even begin to discuss the amount of misinformation in this thread.

...but I'll start with this. Potential energy in a gallon of X doesn't translate via 1to1 math into mechanical work. It depends on so much more related to the design of the engine. What's not converted is lost as heat, and sometimes just pushed through the engine into the exhaust system.

All grades of fuel are comingled by their respective grade. Rbob, cbob, 87 clear, etc... They all come up the pipeline and dumped into their respective tanks where the owners maintain an allocation/inventory. Various additives are added at time of loading at the rack per the sales contract.

Anyway, the OP found his solution, and it's not uncommon that during the seasonal change over this occurs. Modern vehicles don't just respond instantly to the reid vapor pressure changes...

#115 3 months ago

For all you folks knocking ethanol, and yeah it sucks in intermittently used engines. I give you this. Top piston after running 93 Octane. Bottom, same piston after 3K miles of E85.

ethanol (resized).PNG

#116 3 months ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

It depends on so much more related to the design of the engine

And what are engines designed for? It certainly isn't fuel with ethanol in it. Do you think that japan designs engines for 10% ethanol?

#117 3 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

And what are engines designed for? It certainly isn't fuel with ethanol in it. Do you think that japan designs engines for 10% ethanol?

Yeah, actually they do. Ever heard of a country called Brazil? They produce vehicles and sell them there and they run on blends and even e100.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan..the list goes on and on.

Also, guess what else they use in Brazil.. small engines (lawnmowers, etc) that somehow run on the same fuel.

#118 3 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Not sure how my 93 octane performance tune is gonna like it but if I'm paying more than $4 per gallon, I'm going to try this stuff. Too bad I didn't need a full tank today.
    https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp?statecode=TX[quoted image]

I havent seen an option to buy non ethanol around here.I would love to have your high prices compared to here in the Bay Area,we are paying 5.30 per gallon for the cheap stuff 87 octane.Side note the state and federal tax is about 1.19 per gallon and going up 3 or 4 cents more July 1st.

#119 3 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp?statecode=TX[quoted image]

How well does your tune do on mid-grade, because I would expect it to be similar based on the octane rating and you mentioning that it was a performance tune.

#120 3 months ago
    Quoted from Apex:

How well does your tune do on mid-grade, because I would expect it to be similar based on the octane rating and you mentioning that it was a performance tune.

I can actually change between tunes for 89, 93, race fuel and a couple others.
    I typically just run the 93 program since I run 93 octane and certainly notice a difference between them. On 89 it will run like a fairly pissed off cat, whereas on 93 it runs like a mama cat chasing critters away from her youngens. I'm still operating on the 93 tune with the ethanol free fuel for now. The 89 will usually roast the tires but 93 will almost always roast them, even on dry concrete. I've yet to fit tires wide enough to counter my foot. What's further I also try and use all season Z rated tires for longevity, despite only getting about 20K miles out of them. If I run summer tires I only get about 8K miles out of them. This year I hope to outfit it with 235 8.5" wide over the 225 8" I have at present. As far as my engine, I've been running a long experiment with fuels based on problems with direct injection where the intake valves need to be de-carbed periodically. For the first 90K miles, I just ran 89 and dumped in an octane booster but ran the 93 tune. It was de-carbed at 89K miles and ever since I've been running only 93 and added octane booster periodically. Now with the ethanol free gas, I'm not sure what to expect. I suspect performance will be mostly unchanged but since it is only 90, I'm just slightly concerned about more carbon build up. I'm at 179K miles now and keep rolling the dice of when it will need to be de-carbed again.
    I'm going to run this e free gas for a tank or maybe two just for kicks before I make any life altering decisions about it.
    On a side note of 89 / 93, my wife has the same engine in her vehicle and had it de-carbed around 85K and is about about 181K now, seems to still be running good. Again though, only running 93, we don't skimp anymore. I've yet to calculate the cost delta of 89 vs 93 vs the $834 for the carb clean. Just waiting for the next cleaning to run the numbers. For edification purposes, if you did not read above, it is a 2.0 VW turbo gas engine.
    Long answer to your short question, if I did in fact address your question.

#121 3 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

For all you folks knocking ethanol, and yeah it sucks in intermittently used engines. I give you this. Top piston after running 93 Octane. Bottom, same piston after 3K miles of E85.
    [quoted image]

Slightly off topic, but ethanol is good for cleaning.
    I've regularly used original Purell (which a major component is Ethanol) to remove tape residue, permanent ink and dried on oil and grease off of metal.
    I'm not surprised what it did for that piston. I want to try just plain ethanol one of these days to see how it works.

#122 3 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

For edification purposes, if you did not read above, it is a 2.0 VW turbo gas engine

Which vdub is it? I’m running a ‘12 Tiguan with the APR 93 tune and I love that thing. I did carbon cleaning at 80k.

#123 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I havent seen an option to buy non ethanol around here...

At least in northern Indiana, some gas stations that cater to farming equipment (they deliver the gas) have straight gas, but they have pumps that you can fill up the car too. When storing one of my cars for the winter, I always fill up w/100% gas.

#124 3 months ago

I keep track and my work van went from 11 to 8
    Also cost 81.00 in gas one way to Allentown pinball show. Mostly highway, 4 pinball machines hauled 11 miles to the gallon.

EAF847F3-8007-4571-848C-A94DF132AE08 (resized).jpeg
    #125 3 months ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

Which vdub is it? I’m running a ‘12 Tiguan with the APR 93 tune and I love that thing. I did carbon cleaning at 80k.

Jetta, APR tune and intake, audi intercooler.
    It's a great little go cart.
    Perplexed by these numbers today.
    Only been about 250 miles though. I did run triple digit speeds some this week. Forgot to say all my driving is city, no highway Miles.

Screenshot_20220507-094001_Calculator (resized).jpg

#126 3 months ago

Allentown gas prices are a dollar more per gallon than RI, ouch...

20220507_122815.jpg
    #127 3 months ago

Sidebar: Some OBD II readers can grab fuel data (i.e. fuel/air ratio, etc.). Is that something that can help determine if you're getting a different MPG (i.e. is the ratio different for straight gas, E10, E15)?

#128 3 months ago

Are small engines even capable of running E15 without causing major damage? Running E10 is already not recommended by many manufacturers.

#129 3 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Are small engines even capable of running E15 without causing major damage? Running E10 is already not recommended by many manufacturers.

I wonder do you need to have a different mix for smaller tools like blowers and edgers,specifically gas/oil mixtures or is it going to be the same.

#130 3 months ago

Slightly off topic- Has anyone used the Get Upside ap for money back on gasoline purchases?

#131 3 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:Are small engines even capable of running E15 without causing major damage? Running E10 is already not recommended by many manufacturers.

Unfortunately the crap that is sent to us in NA doesn't include the few extra dollars worth of seals and tubing that is produced to withstand ethanol.

#132 3 months ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

Unfortunately the crap that is sent to us in NA doesn't include the few extra dollars worth of seals and tubing that is produced to withstand ethanol.

Sometimes they do. I’ve read that some NA Civics can run E85 and there is a tune specifically for it that can give crazy HP increases.

#133 3 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Sometimes they do. I’ve read that some NA Civics can run E85 and there is a tune specifically for it that can give crazy HP increases.

What you say is true. My old Evo had an e85 tune that was amazing.. unfortunately at the time the availability of e85 was nil in my area.

The high compression ratio took advantage of the high octane really well, and as long as the e85 blend dropped during the cold season, you would have no starting issues due to the lower RVP of ethanol.

Btw, my comment you quoted was actually in regards to small engines in lawn mowers, etc.. people have been brainwashed in the US by their redneck small engine shopes, which have been indoctrinated by the API against ethanol so they can sell them expensive "true fuel" at absurd price per gallon with incredibly high margin.

#134 3 months ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

My brother told me about this guy,and at first I thought he was a jackass! But he takes a dry subject and adds a little humor to it. I just hope I don't slip and say carbritrator, when I go to Napa for carburetor cleaner.

I watched Taryl's entire fuel additive experiment. I was surprised and disappointed to see nearly everything he tested did absolutely nothing to stabilize the fuel. And I'm also very impressed by how the VP ethanol free high purity fuel held up. If the small amount of impurities in 87 or 93 don't make any difference to shelf life, then distilling pump gas to remove the ethanol sounds like a great money saving approach vs. ethanol free pump gas or dedicated small engine fuel.

And 18 months? That's a very long time but if you're not running ethanol free you are slowly killing your carburetor with literal petroleum jelly and corrosion.

#135 3 months ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

What you say is true. My old Evo had an e85 tune that was amazing.. unfortunately at the time the availability of e85 was nil in my area.
    The high compression ratio took advantage of the high octane really well, and as long as the e85 blend dropped during the cold season, you would have no starting issues due to the lower RVP of ethanol.
    Btw, my comment you quoted was actually in regards to small engines in lawn mowers, etc.. people have been brainwashed in the US by their redneck small engine shopes, which have been indoctrinated by the API against ethanol so they can sell them expensive "true fuel" at absurd price per gallon with incredibly high margin.

So Rednecks that have been indoctrinated are the cause of high prices? Yea ok

#136 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Most smart folks know why we have high gas prices, pinside doesn't allow saying it though.

#137 3 months ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

this thread is more interesting when we dont call people names.If your not from the U.S. many of us are proud to be rednecks and as with any group you cant paint us all with 1 brush.Now lets get back on track.

#138 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Ethanol will eat those hoses and parts. "No it won't, you're just indoctrinated."

Who knew chemistry was susceptible to indoctrination?

#139 3 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I watched Taryl's entire fuel additive experiment. I was surprised and disappointed to see nearly everything he tested did absolutely nothing to stabilize the fuel. And I'm also very impressed by how the VP ethanol free high purity fuel held up. If the small amount of impurities in 87 or 93 don't make any difference to shelf life, then distilling pump gas to remove the ethanol sounds like a great money saving approach vs. ethanol free pump gas or dedicated small engine fuel.
    And 18 months? That's a very long time but if you're not running ethanol free you are slowly killing your carburetor with literal petroleum jelly and corrosion.

I was surprised too by the results! But I've always trusted running my small engines dry before a long storage over using a gas stabilizer. But I do like how Sea Foam helps to keep my small engines Carbatrators clean.

#140 3 months ago

I enjoy my 13.6 MPG in my RAM 2500, I can afford the fuel so what does it matter? I have seen no difference in MPG between this year and last even with higher engine mileage.

#141 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

this thread is more interesting when we dont call people names.If your not from the U.S. many of us are proud to be rednecks and as with any group you cant paint us all with 1 brush.Now lets get back on track.

I am from the heart of Appalachia, I can talk about rednecks all I like... I am one.

I am also in the wholesale fuel business... So yeah, when True Fuel sells at $28 a gallon, one might want to stop and think about the why.

#142 3 months ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I was surprised too by the results! But I've always trusted running my small engines dry before a long storage over using a gas stabilizer. But I do like how Sea Foam helps to keep my small engines Carbatrators clean.

I like how he makes it clear they are mostly useless as a stabilizer only. I'm sure all of those products do something to clean the fuel system, even if it's miniscule. But stabilizers they are not. I do use Sea Foam and my car got a few MPG better after a Sea Foam treatment. That could also be due to the summer blend fuel switch though.

#143 3 months ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

I am from the heart of Appalachia, I can talk about rednecks all I like... I am one.
    I am also in the wholesale fuel business... So yeah, when True Fuel sells at $28 a gallon, one might want to stop and think about the why.

28 bucks a gallon? I expect to pay around $5 per gallon this summer for 92 octane. I use pretty much whatever in my lawn mowers and cars, but my jetskis (90's 2 strokes) only get ethanol free

#145 3 months ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

so your a redneck and indoctrinated or you make a living selling to such,Got it.

#146 3 months ago

Ohhh... man I put a new carb on my chainsaw last year and it ran great but then my boomer dad scolded me for using the junk gas from the gas station and that I should get that stuff instead, so I did, and its never ran right since then

#147 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

so your a redneck and indoctrinated or you make a living selling to such,Got it.

Yeah, you figured it out.

#148 3 months ago

Quoted from poppapin:Most smart folks know why we have high gas prices, pinside doesn't allow saying it though.</blockquote

Most smart folks know why we have high gas prices, pinside doesn't allow saying it though.

youre-pushing-your-luck-little-man (resized).jpg

#149 3 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Do not run ethanol in marine engines. Period. That i can say with authority. I repaired more engines than i count due to ethanol eating the seals, hoses, carb gaskets. Dont do it. They werent made for that.

Certified evinrude redneck mechanic

#150 3 months ago

I'm going to take the carburetor off this 1985 Briggs and Stratton engine for my oldest mower. It doesn't want to stay running. I imagine the diaphragm ruined from the ethanol fuel all those years and the filter screen/main jet are probably gummed up.

There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!