Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,139 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 minutes ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5088 (resized).jpg
    Noone (resized).jpeg
    Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif
    MotorTrend-celebrity-drive-Peter-Noone-lead-singer-Hermans-Hermits-6 (resized).jpg
    20240413_124143 (resized).jpg
    20240412_200816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4966 (resized).JPG
    rich-men-laughing (resized).jpg
    20240412_061659 (resized).jpg
    20240411_101230 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4826 (resized).jpg
    20240410_190744 (resized).jpg
    image000000(3) (resized).jpg
    IMG_4718 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4625 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,139 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 23.
    #551 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Update:
    Mapco at $2.37 and RaceTrac across the street jumped to $2.59 just this morning. Shell, being the silly price gougers they are, is still stuck at $2.79. Looks like $2.37 is the price floor. It's been that low for a couple of weeks now at several places without much change.

Now many places are $2.75. Wow.

#552 1 year ago

2.34 in CO. Holding pretty steady. I find it remarkable how quickly the price dropped mid-November. But not complaining.

4 weeks later
    #553 1 year ago

Holy crap, gas prices were making a steady decline and now my local station in PA has jumped up to $3.80/gallon. WTF happened now to raise prices?

#554 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Holy crap, gas prices were making a steady decline and now my local station in PA has jumped up to $3.80/gallon. WTF happened now to raise prices?

I think it's called a desire for profit!
    Not sure it's related to the recent increase, but just read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/business/nightcap-chevron-stock-buyback/index.html

#555 1 year ago

We are up about .40 a gallon too.

#556 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I think it's called a desire for profit!
    Not sure it's related to the recent increase, but just read this:
    http://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/business/nightcap-chevron-stock-buyback/index.html

Wow, unbelievable!

#557 1 year ago

$4.50 average for 93 octane here. Quality seems to have been garbage the last couple of years, I hear of many people getting P0420 type engine codes, catalytic converters clogging faster, lower gas mileage and etc. The subpar fuel also seems more noticeable in vehicles with performance engines when you actually drive instead of cruise.

#558 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Now many places are $2.75. Wow.

We've been hovering aroudn 2.70's at Sam's Club here for awhile.

2 weeks later
    #559 1 year ago

The reason for the increase is also being affected by China announcing it was going to open up more after COVID, and that cold snap recently reduced refinery output. Or so I've read. Never defending an oil company.

1 month later
    #561 1 year ago

Yesterday the President said “it’s not going to be as bad as you think.

Translation: Prepare for high gas prices and energy costs!

#562 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Yesterday the President said “it’s not going to be as bad as you think.
    Translation: Prepare for high gas prices and energy costs!

"it'll just be a little bit bad... Look we know paying $7 a gallon is hard on the wallet, but if all you poor people just bought $50k EVs youd be fine!"

#563 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

"it'll just be a little bit bad... Look we know paying $7 a gallon is hard on the wallet, but if all you poor people just bought $50k EVs youd be fine!"

$8-$9 by Labor Day

#564 1 year ago

$8-$9 by Labor Day

Oh shit, hope you're wrong!

#565 1 year ago

With OPEC announcing they will be cutting production again, get ready for it continuing to rise.

#566 1 year ago

Yep, supply and delivery are the issues. Early on it was shutting down the Keystone pipeline, now the Saudis spitting in our faces while selling oil outside the US dollar for the first time since the '50s. Can't say I blame them.

Fortunately where I work often sees same day price increases before my home town. So I was able to save about 30 cents per gallon on my way home yesterday evening. This has saved me as much as five and a half dollars per fill-up if I time it right.

It's good advice if you know your stations and when they often update their prices. Also, I'm still seeing a lot of people pre-pay to budget the costs. Very wise. When I do this I pay cash. Minimizes issues with my card number being stolen.

#567 1 year ago

Yep, it's up in the 3's now. Sucks.

1 week later
    #568 1 year ago

Just saw another 30 cent increase last week. I took the same route home the last time I saw this and found the same gas station had not gone up yet. Always seem to get lucky with that one.

#569 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Just saw another 30 cent increase last week

We went up 25 cents here. Diesel went down a bit though.

#570 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

We went up 25 cents here. Diesel went down a bit though.

Yeah what's funny is now diesel is about the same price now here.

#571 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yeah what's funny is now diesel is about the same price now here.

Its about 42 cents more here.

#572 1 year ago

Fuel mileage just hit 49.6 mpg on snow tires, Honda Fit, the most fuel efficient pin hauler you can buy.

#573 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yep, it's up in the 3's now. Sucks.

4s

#574 1 year ago

Yeah, gas in Cali sucks even when down.

#575 1 year ago

I've decided I'm not buying those new gas cans that cost $30+ because of the utterly unusable EPA regulated nozzles. I found a cheap used one on eBay that's still made pretty solid. Going to put a "normal" nozzle on it.

Check out the 11:30 mark:

1 week later
    #576 11 months ago

Here's my "new" 2 gallon gas can, $20 with eBay spout.

DSC_3413 (resized).JPGDSC_3413 (resized).JPG

#577 11 months ago

This was the best gas can. I have 4 of them and they work perfectly, but i don't think that they were CARB compliant, which is why they're no longer sold.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#578 11 months ago

Perhaps the Federal Reserve meeting in the first week of May will lower prices temporarily. Another 25 basis point interest rate increase is expected.

#579 11 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Here's my "new" 2 gallon gas can, $20 with eBay spout.

And it's broken. Lol.

DSC_3428 (resized).JPGDSC_3428 (resized).JPGDSC_3429 (resized).JPGDSC_3429 (resized).JPG

#580 11 months ago

"new" gas cans suck. I think my spills more onto the mower deck and grass than in the damn tank. But hey, it's EPA friendly
    As far as recent fuel efficiency, I'm enjoying my improved mileage; at the end of 2022 I traded up the old 2012 Jetta to a 2020 Audi A3 (almost identical engine and tranny). Mileage average by my calculations, not the computer, show I'm now getting a minimum of 29 MPG and I only use the idle engine cut off feature about 10% of my stops. Now the Jetta was tuned WAY differently thus much more aggressive and fun to drive. I've also changed my route I take home from work which cuts 10 miles off the journey but adds 20 minutes (obviously doesn't change efficiency but helps stretch a tank of gas to a whole week). As such, in the Audi now, I very rarely see triple digits on the speedo, unlike in the Jetta where I had the opportunity to get there 2 to 3 days a week. While the Jetta was paid off, I was spending over $5K a year in repairs... so was it really paid off? All things considered, I'm still pleased I made the upgrade.

#581 11 months ago

We did see that but now gas is back down to $2.99 for me, with diesel only being 40 cents more. And it continues to fall. So why would (supposedly) 1.1 million barrels of oil less per day be the same price now as it was a month ago in the gas price? Continued destruction in demand? In the last few weeks I've also seen considerably less traffic on the interstate to work. Coincidence? More people going back to working from home?

#582 11 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

In the last few weeks I've also seen considerably less traffic on the interstate to work. Coincidence? More people going back to working from home?

Not in my area at least. The only less traffic is on Friday. In fact, I feel my area is at pre-pandemic traffic volumes. For at the time I get to work, 0700, during the pandemic and now, only on Friday's, I can scoot along the highway right up to the exit I need to take for work without any congestion. Now it backs up again as people still don't know how to merge two miles down for some toll road exits. Because of this, most weekdays, I have to exit TWO exits back and just ride the feeder to avoid the stop and go crap, thus I get stuck in side street stop and go crap - I view it less collision risky though. It's maddening. Also, as I mentioned in another topic, I recently added some "company" to the new grocery getter, so at least I have better tunes for the stop and go fun. As far as fuel, I just paid $3.66 yesterday for my 93 octane. However at only 9 gallons to fill up (tank wasn't completely dry) it wasn't too bad. Couple that with my improved MPG, I'm cool with it. But only because as I've stated before, my earnings are directionally proportionate to the cost of our crude.

what-a-time-to-be-alive-jasper.gifwhat-a-time-to-be-alive-jasper.gif

Pinside_forum_7555466_4 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7555466_4 (resized).jpg
    #583 11 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I was spending over $5K a year in repairs

On a 2012 jetta? What was going wrong that was that expensive? I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and I just did my first non-maintenance repair of a power steering line for $50.

#584 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

What was going wrong that was that expensive?

It was pushing 200K miles with a high performance tune. EVERYTHING was beginning to need replacement or replacement again. The largest expense was the timing chain (doesn't show on this screen capture, paperwork wasn't filed on the storage drive until 2023.) Fortunately it "only" ran me $1400 for parts, the dealer paid for all the labor, they had just serviced an oil leak a week prior ($1200). My threat of a lawsuit, since they had just been in the same area, seemed to incentivize them to work with me. Otherwise they quoted me $4500+ for that job.
    Screen shot of all the work done on it in 2022. In contrast our 2015 Tiguan, 205000 miles, STOCK tuning has hardly needed a thing.
    We very poor at "wealth management" and can budget much easier for a $400 / month car payment vs. $xxxx.xx in repairs every few months.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#585 11 months ago

Artificially inflated prices by companies holding back production.

Need more profit supply less oil .

#586 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

On a 2012 jetta? What was going wrong that was that expensive? I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and I just did my first non-maintenance repair of a power steering line for $50.

One word. German

#587 11 months ago

Also, four words. Out of Warranty German

#588 11 months ago

My wife had a jetta 20 years ago. It was the worst car that I ever worked on. German engineering is a joke. Any job that I'd do on it would easily take ten times longer because of the horrible design of everything on that car. I called a local dealer when i had a question about a repair. I asked how you were supposed to reach on part of the engine. His response was, "We have one guy that has just about no muscle on him. He's the only one that can get his arm in there."

2 weeks later
    #589 11 months ago

Back down to $2.86 for me. US Dollar Index is up to 103, perhaps that's why.

#590 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

My wife had a jetta 20 years ago. It was the worst car that I ever worked on. German engineering is a joke. Any job that I'd do on it would easily take ten times longer because of the horrible design of everything on that car. I called a local dealer when i had a question about a repair.

I find the current gen 2.0T pretty simplified. Takes less than 5 minutes to change the serpentine belt. The oil filter it right up top so with a suction pump, I don't have to crawl under the car for oil changes. I swapped heater cores in my Jetta in less than an hour.
    All in all, I enjoy our German engineered VWs.
    The mini cooper on the other hand, was clearly designed for thin Europeans.
    That or sado masochistics!

#591 11 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I find the current gen 2.0T pretty simplified. Takes less than 5 minutes to change the serpentine belt. The oil filter it right up top so with a suction pump, I don't have to crawl under the car for oil changes. I swapped heater cores in my Jetta in less than an hour.
    All in all, I enjoy our German engineered VWs.
    The mini cooper on the other hand, was clearly designed for thin Europeans.
    That or sado masochistics!

I'll gladly work on a Honda any day if given a choice. Everything always comes apart. Bolts are high grade steel. And absolutely made to be easy to work on, although you rarely do.

#592 11 months ago

I saw this guy's Volkswagen sedan the other day and there were like, 4 different warnings on the dash. He said it's a sensor that controls 4 things, the sensor costs $800 before tax and labor, and he doesn't even mess with it because the car is out of warranty. Now I see why they get a bad reputation on reliability.

#593 11 months ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I saw this guy's Volkswagen sedan the other day and there were like, 4 different warnings on the dash. He said it's a sensor that controls 4 things, the sensor costs $800 before tax and labor, and he doesn't even mess with it because the car is out of warranty. Now I see why they get a bad reputation on reliability.

Sounds like the wheel ABS sensors, about $100 each. They went bad in my Jetta, took about 15 minutes per wheel to replace. VW / Audi uses the ABS sensors in lieu of in tire mounted TPMS sensors. They have the computer calculate RPMs (since the ABS sensor is there already) and it can tell the driver if a tire has more or less pressure than the others based on individual RPMs. It really caused havoc at Discount Tire when that system came out.
    What freaked me out was when the sensors were going bad, sometimes my driver door would close when I was out of the vehicle and it would lock the doors. I still don't understand THAT German logic! It was the old style ignition that required a key so when it did that... ooops, no getting back in w.o. a spare key! Luckily it only did that at home so was an easy remedy, otherwise I'd been more than a little upset.

#594 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I'll gladly work on a Honda any day if given a choice. Everything always comes apart. Bolts are high grade steel. And absolutely made to be easy to work on, although you rarely do.

Have you ever replaced a starter on a 2016 CR-V? A couple of those bolts were done by feel only. Couldn't see them. But yeah, I'll take Honda/Toyota any day over VW.

FYI - Today is Circle K Gas Day. You get an extra 40 cents off per gallon from 4 PM to 7 PM. My location had already transitioned over. If you sign up for their app, you get an extra 25 cents off.

#595 10 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Today is Circle K Gas Day

Definitely sounds like strange things were afoot.

#596 10 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

FYI - Today is Circle K Gas Day. You get an extra 40 cents off per gallon from 4 PM to 7 PM.

I wonder what the lines were like to save 4 - 8 bucks?

#597 10 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

IDK? They started the promo early. No lines for me. I didn’t even know they were doing it until day of.

#598 10 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Most would pay $4 bucks not to go to Circle K

#599 10 months ago

Most would pay $4 bucks not to go to Circle K

It's not necessarily the most pleasant shopping experience, but Circle K saves me a lot of money. $5 per gallon in AZ. Damn! No wonder everyone is moving to Florida.

#600 10 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

It's not necessarily the most pleasant shopping experience, but Circle K saves me a lot of money. $5 per gallon in AZ. Damn! No wonder everyone is moving to Florida.

Gas used to be cheap here but not anymore.

There are 1,139 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gasoline-fuel-efficiency-as-of-late/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.