(Topic ID: 71270)

Gary Stern... live... NOW... followed by Star Trek LE gameplay

By bkerins

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Have you ever tried it?
I tried it once and the volume was too low for my old ears to hear.

I tried it. It was nice and felt the volume was fine but I just have no need for it.

#102 10 years ago

Using headphones depends on your setup. For my house they are a must. Not only do the games sound better and bring out subtle differences you can't hear without them, but my game room is right next to my den, so it helps tremendously with people trying to watch TV in the next room.

#103 10 years ago

I did not watch it. Is there more man hours in a pinball machine then a Ford Taurus?

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I tried it. It was nice and felt the volume was fine

That's good to know.

The one I tried must have been defective.

#105 10 years ago

I would love the option of using headphones at my local arcade! I actually waited to try out ST until the people on the surrounding machines were done playing so I could play ST and hear everything that was going on.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from marcand:

Some observations:
1. Does Gary really need a armband? Kind of like someone asking Stan Lee for identification in ComicCon.
2. Great video and nice view of slides/history.
3. I keep wondering when the buffet closed behind him (conference room? cafeteria? location?)
4. I want some white glasses when my hair goes white. Man. My hair is getting there quick.
Thanks PAPA for the feed!

As being the person who PUT the armband on Gary, he requested it himself, as he did just a few hours ago so he can receive the hotel benefits offered by all attendees who have it. Any other questions.....

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Pinball needs a face to tour around the country demonstrating the new machines and get on tv. Take Taylor guitars - they have dedicated super star players touring round the world demonstrating their guitars. You see one of them showing you what a Taylor guitar can do and you want one. Why not pinball. Get some ambassador's for the sport. Get celebrities playing it. Get a face of Pinball instead of just a manufacturing company. Make it the must have accessory for the home with wifi, mp3, internet connectivity. Take it away from just a game you play in a bar and make it a social event in your home. On location no matter how simple they make the machine for the casual player, most people will never get it until they are shown by someone how to play. Education and promoting it as a sport is the way forward.

I think you will see this happening in the next 12-14 months and agree that it is necessary.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I think you will see this happening in the next 12-14 months and agree that it is necessary.

Place them in those kids shows on Nick. Show One Direction playing them.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Very similar to his talk at Expo this year..

Quoted from Rcade:

...and the same one we heard at Cal Extreme

Is there another one?

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Place them in those kids shows on Nick. Show One Direction playing them.

I think you will see this from both Stern and JJP.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a machine sitting on the set of one of the late night network shows in the near future.

#111 10 years ago

If they could get a slot on TV to show a celeb a few shots. Get some celeb endorsements. That could flip the whole business model. I saw a picture of slash from guns and roses with his wozle. Stuff like that.
In fact on the stern website they should have that Star Trek actor Karl in a big pic next to his Star Trek le and then a big blog post about it - interview about his love of pinball.

Whoever does their website needs re-assigning.

#112 10 years ago

I used headphones for the first time a year or so ago. I was at a place that had a half a dozen Pinnovators conversions on both BW and Stern pins. I was amazed at the difference. I heard fidelities and nuances on pins that I didn't hear before. That coupled with the blocking of outside noise made a big difference in the playing enjoyment to me. I would love to see headphone jacks on everything made from now on. The price of NIB stuff has jumped quite substantially over the past couple of years. There must be room somewhere in those budgets to add a jack.

#113 10 years ago

I would never wear headphones for on location play.

#114 10 years ago

Some players wear headphones while playing the location WOZLE at Town Hall in College park, MD.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I would never wear headphones for on location play.

Might be good if you explained why.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from marcand:

Some observations:
1. Does Gary really need a armband? Kind of like someone asking Stan Lee for identification in ComicCon.

The armband gave 25% discount on food at the hotel, and he ate lunch right before going on.

Gary was super friendly, hanging around the event the entire weekend chatting with everyone and playing games. It isn't the first time I've heard him talk, and while it almost appeared he was to ramble with is slant on alcohol, in the end he presented one of the most lucid explanations of the state of the pinball economy that I've heard, and that includes pages long threads on forums.

Centering his talk on alcohol with pre-70's anecdotes of alcohol+pinball and modern barcades tells us things haven't changed that much (perhaps implying the 80's arcades were an aberration?). His standard emphasis of the very tight demographic of his customers (30's-50's white males) is true, and the demographic for EMs has aged out because the collectibility of pinball machines is centered around what people played when they were young. He played pinball in bars as a kid, and he's seeing young women playing games in barcades today. It's positive to think the demographic is expanding, but overall the message appears to be accurate... without public games, there will be no new blood into the hobby to keep demand and values up when today's core demographic ages out. Jack agrees with this view 100%, and we see efforts like Heighway Pinball designing games for operators.

In the mean time, the collectors are the bread and butter, and Gary acknowledged that collectors are partially responsible for barcades, filling the gaps that operators left behind.

Quoted from LP30:

He did say that sometimes they think the code is finished and we do not, but that they are the final arbiters of when it is finished. He said they are not deaf and do hear us, but it is a complex process.

Yea unfortunately Gary was not in the mood to deal with tough questions, and I think the audience knew asking them would get the standard brush-off. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Gary doesn't really know what's going on in the software group, but he did hire one more developer, so that's a positive action by him. I'm thinking any editorials we have as customers on past games need to be directed more toward the software group, who needs to in turn justify to Gary the time they need to finish things off. At this point it is a reflection of the individual software guys as much as the company, so if Waison, Lyman and co want to have their names attached to incomplete games, that will just hurt their own reputations.

#117 10 years ago

Gary hung out with us and played pinball. He was back at SPF on Sunday playing pinball and taking in some of the tournament finals. Very cool. He was playing a lot of the EMs.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Might be good if you explained why.

It's simple, I'm never going to be out in public, with my back turned to the room concentrating on something, wearing a pair of headphones that ensure I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the environment around me. Never, ever going to happen. Headphones for on location play is a total non-starter for me. I doubt I'm alone.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's simple, I'm never going to be out in public, with my back turned to the room concentrating on something, wearing a pair of headphones that ensure I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the environment around me. Never, ever going to happen. Headphones for on location play is a total non-starter for me. I doubt I'm alone.

same for me. as a matter of fact , I dont understand how people walk around in public with headphones on. crossing a street and not being able to hear is very questionable. then, of course, I have it in my genes to always watch my back. I also always sit with my back to the wall at a restaurant. Its something my uncle vinny taught me early! lol

#120 10 years ago

Where did the STLE gameplay go? I'm not seeing it on Papa TV's Twitch channel?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-live-now-followed-by-star-trek-le-gameplay/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.