(Topic ID: 71270)

Gary Stern... live... NOW... followed by Star Trek LE gameplay

By bkerins

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

http://papa.org
http://twitch.tv/papatvpinball

Come on along... now. Gary's talk starts at 2:00.

Pass it on!

#2 10 years ago

From site:

Elizabeth_papa: At 3PM Bowen will be showing off gameplay on Star Trek LE

I assume all times are EST

#4 10 years ago

yes sir

#5 10 years ago

Some observations:

1. Does Gary really need a armband? Kind of like someone asking Stan Lee for identification in ComicCon.
2. Great video and nice view of slides/history.
3. I keep wondering when the buffet closed behind him (conference room? cafeteria? location?)
4. I want some white glasses when my hair goes white. Man. My hair is getting there quick.

Thanks PAPA for the feed!

#6 10 years ago

Are you watching????? Gary just announced the next Stern machine.......... "Vodka & Beer"

#7 10 years ago

This is the most riveting speech I have ever seen. It's about Gary Stern personal life...and alcohol. Yep.

#8 10 years ago

Very similar to his talk at Expo this year..

#9 10 years ago

Holy cow. Is it just me or is 60% of his "seminars" alcohol related? It's the same speech every time, with an unnervingly large amount of booze talk, followed by him ducking the hard hitting questions afterwards. I keep watching/attending them when able in hopes of something new....but nope.

#10 10 years ago

Gary just said "tits"!

lol

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Very similar to his talk at Expo this year..

...and the same one we heard at Cal Extreme

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Holy cow. Is it just me or is 60% of his "seminars" alcohol related? It's the same speech every time, with an unnervingly large amount of booze talk, followed by him ducking the hard hitting questions afterwards. I keep watching/attending them when able in hopes of something new....but nope.

We are actually watching the filming of an AA meeting.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

It's like he doesn't care because profits are rolling in so he can talk about whatever he wants to talk about. The Heighway Pinball guy was pretty good.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Holy cow. Is it just me or is 60% of his "seminars" alcohol related?

Good god! Its all about drinking?? what is the point of this rambling??

#15 10 years ago

The three legged stool.......Lol!

Joe(acejedi)

#16 10 years ago

He speech at the Pacific Northwest Show in Tacoma this year was all about beer. Boring.

#17 10 years ago

Some of this is pretty good but now he's talking politics and saying how pinball could go the way of Romney?

Don't forget, "Easy To Learn, Hard To Master"! That was probably mentioned 20 times. I see what he means here though regarding how for casual players a pinball machine needs to be easy to play with some basic goals but then hard to master with deeper goals for players such as us / home owners.

A lot of his speech though was confusing, lol.

#18 10 years ago

Good god.....he's still bringing up booze every chance he gets.

Plus he's brought up race AND politics in the same sentence!

#19 10 years ago

I agree with his call for more location play and casual players, but you don't need to diss the home buyers. If there isn't enough games on location it is not because of the home buyers. The home buyers have kept his company afloat, and hopefully he can figure out how to get more operators again.

#20 10 years ago

Twitch and papatv are freakin awesome. I'm watching the a 1000 miles away.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Plus he's brought up race AND politics in the same sentence!

Always a great idea!

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some of this is pretty good but now he's talking politics and saying how pinball could go the way of Romney?
Don't forget, "Easy To Learn, Hard To Master"! That was probably mentioned 20 times. I see what he means here though regarding how for casual players a pinball machine needs to be easy to play with some basic goals but then hard to master with deeper goals for players such as us / home owners.
A lot of his speech though was confusing, lol.

Easy to learn hard to master... This translates to simpler code and less bitching about incomplete code

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from t2000:

Easy to learn hard to master... This translates to simpler code and less bitching about incomplete code

Oh dear. I hope not...

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Oh dear. I hope not...

same here, and you can tell, he doesn't really care about the collectors.

be careful gary we are the future of pinballs!

#25 10 years ago

Did the feed just die or was that it?

#26 10 years ago

He wouldn't have to worry about code if he left the system open ended, let the hobbiest do their own code

#27 10 years ago

did he talk about any unfinished code?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

That's pretty clear, but I have to say, despite some of the incoherent ramblings I'd like to have a beer or three with him

Is there an off limits line of questioning? Like code completion and the details that really matter, or is that just a brush off to the "collector crowd"?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

He wouldn't have to worry about code if he left the system open ended, let the hobbiest do their own code

That would get them into hot water from the lincese.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

Did the feed just die or was that it?

I was wondering the same thing.

Where is the Bowen game play video?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

That would get them into hot water from the lincese.

No it wouldn't.......Code?? They don't own the rights to the code?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from luch:

Gary does not know how complete any code currently is.

He is just the figurehead of the company.

People have asked him about code before and you can tell he's not bluffing; he simply has no idea.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

It did seem like he puts more emphasis on operators and that the casual player doesn't seem to care about deep code which they probably don't.

I hope he realizes that good code can make a game great. Gary mentioned that the premium / LE models are for home buyers. In my opinion if Stern is going to offer premium / LE models for a $2k-$3.5k premium then they need to commit to deep completed code for those models.

Metallica Premium / LE can be used as an example. Its a really cool game with some unique toys. People paid a big premium to get those models over a pro for the extra gameplay features / toys. What is the point of making a game like that without completing code to take advantage of extra toys? I hear that a new code update for the game will be out by Christmas but still it should not take 4+ months.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gary does not know how complete any code currently is.

He is just the figurehead of the company.

People have asked him about code before and you can tell he's not bluffing; he simply has no idea.

Must be a Chicago thing.....like Obama and the healthcare "code"? Hehe, sorry, couldn't pass it up, don't respond to that "political remark".....

#35 10 years ago

The question was "Why isn't the theme in the videos in the game?"

Gary Responds "I don't know........."

Might be the lamest answer of all time, color me disappointed.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from luch:

He did say that sometimes they think the code is finished and we do not, but that they are the final arbiters of when it is finished. He said they are not deaf and do hear us, but it is a complex process.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear that a new code update for the game will be out by Christmas but still it should not take 4+ months.

Code is the hardest thing in the whole pinball manufacturing process.

Add one thing and it breaks 2 others. 100s of hours of play testing.

Look up how it took Ted Estes a year of his own time to do the final Twilight Zone code, and he had a simpler OS to program.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I was wondering the same thing.
Where is the Bowen game play video?

we must be the only 2 with a dead feed

#39 10 years ago

We're setting up for the gameplay and then the feed will go live again. Just a few more minutes to gameplay!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Code is the hardest thing in the whole pinball manufacturing process.
Add one thing and it breaks 2 others. 100s of hours of play testing.
Look up how it took Ted Estes a year of his own time to do the final Twilight Zone code, and he had a simpler OS to program.

It sure sounds like it. Those are some great points. I think as long as people know that Stern is working on the code they would be happy. Even just Stern coming out and saying we are working on it or releasing some rule screens for what the end goal code wise is would help.

I can't imagine how difficult coding is for a game like WOZ with having to combine coding with LCD animations. Based on Keith's comments he said its harder then coding for DMD games. I hope that today's software development tools at least help make the process go a bit smoother.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

We're setting up for the gameplay and then the feed will go live again. Just a few more minutes to gameplay!

Thanks! Seeing that its live now.

#42 10 years ago

Gameplay is up! 3:39pm EST

#43 10 years ago

and this..........amazing game...........has not.........been played............by anyone y........et

anyone else having major pausing issues in the stream?

#45 10 years ago

god that's unwatchable

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gameplay is up! 3:39pm EST

Some sort of wonkyness causing the video/audio to shudder every few seconds

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from luch:

He started to address it, but then he had to move on to the current question. He hopes to answer the question tonight on his own time.

#48 10 years ago

Feed went down 3:46pm EST.

Hopefully they fix it

#49 10 years ago

Watching in my living room via the Twitch Roku app. Great work, PAPA team.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

and this..........amazing game...........has not.........been played............by anyone y........et
anyone else having major pausing issues in the stream?

yessssss................. same....... thing......here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-live-now-followed-by-star-trek-le-gameplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.