(Topic ID: 107700)

Gary Stern likes Pink Floyd

By stooped

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Snake Radio.jpg
    PinkFloydUmmaGumma.jpg
    PinkFloyd8trackplayer.jpg
    DSCN3391.JPG
    PinkFloydGirls.jpg
    pig.jpeg
    pink-floyd-the-wall-movie-flowers-i7.jpg

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

Best show I've ever seen was Springsteen in the Cotton Bowl for the Born in the Usa tour. I was first row of 75k people. Played about 3 hours, maybe longer, I was intoxicated at the end.

Sat next to Miss Texas as a bonus. She got up on stage for the dance. I thought he was reaching the hand out for me

My ticketmaster Spurs connections were really good back then!

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

"Gary Stern likes Pink Floyd"
    Who doesn't, one of the greatest bands in the world eva!!
    Prog rock at it's best, solo in "Comfortably Numb" is one for for the ages

I have a really hard time thinking of pink Floyd as "prog rock."

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I know, but still...

have you ever heard of a movie called "blazing saddles?"

I can't believe with the stuff they got away with!!!!!

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The difference is. Gilmour's solo stuff is fucking awesome and waters solo stuff kinda sucks.

I would take out the "kinda". Waters solo stuff and the Final Cut do not appeal to me at all.

Quoted from iceman44:

Best show I've ever seen was Springsteen in the Cotton Bowl for the Born in the Usa tour.

Would rather have white hot knitting needles inserted into both ears than ever listen to Springsteen longer that it takes to immediately change the radio station.

I would love a Pink Floyd pin by the way. I have a few non-pinball buying friends who would probably spring for one too if done properly.

#55 9 years ago

Only on the 8-track tape of Animals (that I am aware not on vinyl or cassette), Waters gave a guitar solo/riff that tied Pigs on the Wings Parts I(first song on first track) and II (last song on last track) together, at the same time making the tape a continuous play.....and man did mine get played. It was in SW suburban Chicago in the 1977's in a 1954 Willys Jeep tearing up Naperville's woods and farmland blasting Floyd on a red portable Radio Shack 8-track player that ran on D size batteries.... in the woods somewhere near the Dupage River.
    Don't forget Ummagumma.....

PinkFloyd8trackplayer.jpgPinkFloyd8trackplayer.jpgPinkFloydUmmaGumma.jpgPinkFloydUmmaGumma.jpg

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Don't forget Ummagumma.....

I used to listen to Ummagumma a lot in college.

Just pre-ordered the new album on Blu Ray audio 5.1. Can't wait. Hopefully more music comes out in this format. Hopefully all the music that used to be available on the failed SACD and DVD-Audio formats will come to Blu Ray pure audio.

#57 9 years ago

How come consumer audio gear used to look so cool back then?

Snake Radio.jpgSnake Radio.jpg
    #58 9 years ago

Shine on you crazy diamonds.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I used to listen to Ummagumma a lot in college.
    Just pre-ordered the new album on Blu Ray audio 5.1. Can't wait. Hopefully more music comes out in this format. Hopefully all the music that used to be available on the failed SACD and DVD-Audio formats will come to Blu Ray pure audio.

We can only hope. But given the failure of SA-CD and DVD-A, I'm not going to hold my breath that Blu-ray Audio is going to be any more successful.

#60 9 years ago

One of my favorite all time lines from any band was from Wish You Were Here...

"We're just two lost souls, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year...."

Just plain classic!!

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Shine on you crazy diamonds.
    » YouTube video

10 years have got behind you, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun........................

Thanks O-din. Pink Floyd rules. FYI: My kids are in School of Rock program, and Floyd is one of the bands they use for a performance program. Pretty cool to see 10-16 year olds truly rockin down the house!!

It would be great if Stern would add side cabinet speakers for a total of six or more for the Floyd pin. Why not convert the coin door to a bass speaker? I think the wife would appreciate the vibration!!! Stereo would be great too. LOL

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The difference is. Gilmour's solo stuff is fucking awesome and waters solo stuff kinda sucks.

I think you are missing out - What God Wants totally rocks.The whole theme of Amused to Death just kick ass, monkeys find us after we are dead from amusing ourselves to death, total pink floyd weirdness. I love Dave too, but for me Roger is the lyricist and Dave plays guitar =) . But I am a die hard , true blue, long time Floyd fan from way back. I once studied the differences between set lists pre DSOTM to try and find correlation to other things, like drug use. The one thing that really sticks with me from those old concert tapes is Roger's interaction with the crowd. Whether laughing and drinking beer with them to screaming like a mad man to 'get the F off the stage' , waiting for Roger's idiosyncrasy was like waiting for a NASCAR wreck.

ps-Three Wishes.

2 months later
    #64 9 years ago

"Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a stand role in a cage?" Are you a draft dodger or are you going for it? God bless all of those that went for it!! Because of them, we can continue to play pinball in peace!!

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

stand role in a cage

I believe the lyric is "lead role in a cage"

Here's another album that has quite a lot of Floyd overtones (along with bits of other bands - E.L.O, Bob Dylan and others)
    FANFARE by a guy named Jonathan Wilson, it's become one of my favs when in need of some mellow tunes

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

"Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a stand role in a cage?" Are you a draft dodger or are you going for it? God bless all of those that went for it!! Because of them, we can continue to play pinball in peace!!

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

#67 9 years ago

Couldn't do a Pink Floyd pin justice w/o an lcd backglass.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I believe what Floyd was trying say was, will you avoid and run from war-dodge the draft, or will you will take a lead role in it to its/your final cut?

That has been my interpretation. Although my words weren't all correct, the meaning is the same to me. Unfortunately, I am thinking my 12 year old boy is going to feel the same as I did when I was 18. War seems to be on the horizon again. WWIII this time.

God Bless America. Where we can sing, dance, watch soccer, and play pinball in the freedom of our own Country!! Heck Yeah!!!!!!~

#69 9 years ago

Couldn't do a Pink Floyd pin justice w/o a headphone jack.

#70 9 years ago

I sure haven't got my head in the sand when it comes to world wide issues BUT i most DEFINITELY hope you're WELL off the mark on that !!!

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

I believe what Floyd was trying say was, will you avoid and run from war-dodge the draft, or will you will take a lead role in it to its/your final cut?
    That has been my interpretation. Although my words weren't all correct, the meaning is the same to me. Unfortunately, I am thinking my 12 year old boy is going to feel the same as I did when I was 18. War seems to be on the horizon again. WWIII this time.
    God Bless America. Where we can sing, dance, watch soccer, and play pinball in the freedom of our own Country!! Heck Yeah!!!!!!~

I figured the line was about how you're given a choice between two unpleasant situations - you're either faceless cannon fodder, or you're a star who feels trapped. Waters doesn't strike me as a writer that would look down upon draft dodgers based on his feelings and writings on war.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

That makes no sense at all.

Roger is anti war for practically any reason and It's quite clear he wished his father was a draft dodger instead of a good (dead) soldier.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

WWIII this time.

Quoted from Mancave:

I sure haven't got my head in the sand when it comes to world wide issues BUT i most DEFINITELY hope you're WELL off the mark on that !!!

I hope Bennet is right.

Let's get this world over with.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I hope Bennet is right.

Let's get this world over with.

UMMM, you sure wont be a Pinside immortal if that's what you really hope for!!

If you're just taking the piss (as we Aussies would say), then all good, we appreciate and embrace irony in our humour over here, otherwise, WHY even bother collecting pinball machines? or posting your most helpful guides on this site? Do i think the world is perfect? HELL NO. I am a realist, the world is full of despots, misfits and anarchists but sometimes from Anarchy comes peace

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

"Did you exchange a walk on part in a war for a stand role in a cage?" Are you a draft dodger or are you going for it?

The actual lyric is:

"Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

The whole song is about the battle against conformity in society.

A "Walk On Part" in a play is a non-speaking part, the least significant role.

A "Lead Role" is one of the 3 main characters in a play.

-

So the lyric means that in life, even the smallest role in the war against conformity, is more significant than having a lead role, but conforming to society.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The actual lyric is:
    "Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
    The whole song is about the battle against conformity in society.
    A "Walk On Part" in a play is a non-speaking part, the least significant role.
    A "Lead Role" is one of the 3 main characters in a play.
    -
    So the lyric means that in life, even the smallest role in the war against conformity, is more significant that the having a lead role, but being confined.

My favorite line from the song is: "We're just two lost souls, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year".

Wish You Were Here is definitely one of my favorite Floyd songs.

#77 9 years ago

His dad may have been the inspiration, but I think he was mostly talking about himself and Syd Barrett. Wikipedia has a pretty good write up about the song and album.

Specifically because of bands like Floyd, Zep and Black Sabbath, I learned early not to dwell on the lyrics. Lyricly, Waters was all over the place back then. It is cool to see Waters perform live now though. Dude has constantly got a shit eating grin plastered across his face. Whatever demons he's had in the past, he seems to be at peace with the world now. Getting older will do that to a guy. Good for him.

All this still doesn't change the fact that Pink Floyd would not be a good theme for a pinball machine. As great as their music is, it's not the right style of music for pinball. Great background music for an arcade, just not inside the machine. (pun intended?)

Quoted from RobT:

My favorite line from the song is: "We're just two lost souls, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year".

That line was definitely written about Syd Barrett. The wikipedia article talks about Syd's visit to the recording studio while the album was being recorded.

#78 9 years ago

Pink Floyd is great, but for a pinball machine I'm really hoping Gary likes Dethklok!
    (think about that, really)

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

All this still doesn't change the fact that Pink Floyd would not be a good theme for a pinball machine.

Man, I have to disagree right there. A pinball machine needs imagery and themes and you just can't beat Pink Floyd in that area when it comes to music.

AC/DC was a great fast game with the awesome music to complement the style. A Pink Floyd machine should be a more methodical, theme-based game to complement the music. Imagine the modes involving the wall, the pig, the prism (just to name a few).

#80 9 years ago

The Floyd pin could have a virtual wall similar to the newer virtual lit cast hologram keyboards available so when you send the ball through the virtual light cast hologram wall, it crumbles and breaks down hit-by-hit. All three/four flippers would be required to make the shots to completely tear down the wall...... The shaker would be awesome as the ball "hits" the virtual wall.

Done correctly, Floyd could be as good as AC/DC, maybe better. Lighting with lasers would be appropriate. Videos of the concerts/studio of them playing the songs on the new LCD screen would be great too similar to the newer WWELE.

#81 9 years ago

would buy an LE and u'd have to pry it from my dead cold hands.

#82 9 years ago

Yeah, an option for the LE could be a coin dispenser similar to "Safecracker" when the song "Money" Super Jackpot is achieved.... The Owner could supply the coins/Quarters for the dispenser to shoot it back at you on the playfield glass from the speaker bezel area. That would be sweet. It is one theme song that a coin shooter feature makes sense. Pink Floyd Pinball, Its a hit, don't give me any of that bulls***.

#83 9 years ago

Yeah, I can also see the Pink Floyd Limited Edition (PFLE) where you complete the Dark Side of the Moon shots to complete each color in the prism as it lights up the playfield in a lazer spectrum of RGB LEDs....all to the rocking music.

#84 9 years ago

Yeah Wish You Were Here is about Syd Barrett. To set the scene, Syd Barrett is in an asylum (cage) and Pink Floyd comes on the radio. That is why you can hear the AM radio whining in the background and the song starts out in poor fidelity. There are two guitar leads in the song - one is a real guitar and one is vocal. You are hearing Syd playing the guitar in his mind along with the song on the radio...

3 years later
    #85 5 years ago

I was getting into some Floyd tonight

and some other good stuff

Can this title be locked in for 2020 please ????

#86 5 years ago

I'd be all over a Floyd pinny for sure but at this stage i can't see it happening

#87 5 years ago

Agreed..... I don’t see Waters as the type to approve a Floyd pin.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

I'd be all over a Floyd pinny for sure but at this stage i can't see it happening

Quoted from Budman:

Waters approved The Wall figurines that were put out! I believe the issue comes down to what the machine would depict as Waters owns the rights to most of the Wall stuff but if you want a DSOTM pin then you need Waters and Gilmour approval.

Five years ago I would say that there was no chance of this happening but Gilmour and Waters are on good terms now. They actually have been working together on releasing the Pink Floyd re-releases so I don't think this is something that is not possible. I think back and just never saw Pink Floyd as a merchandise band like KISS or the Beatles.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

There's all sorts of silly Pink Floyd trinkets. Don't see why a pinball machine couldn't be one of them.

If he's being a real hard on about it, just donate X amount to a humanitarian cause of his choice and boom.

#90 5 years ago

The shorter list by far is who does not like Pink Floyd. One of the greatest bands ever. Put on an album and let it play. Good times!

By the way..... which one's pink.

#91 5 years ago

However, would prefer to JJP make this title. Not knocking Stern just think JJP would do a better job with the over machine (artwork, layout and code).

#92 5 years ago

PF is the only NIB pin I would consider buying.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-likes-pink-floyd/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.