(Topic ID: 107700)

Gary Stern likes Pink Floyd

By stooped

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Snake Radio.jpg
    PinkFloydUmmaGumma.jpg
    PinkFloyd8trackplayer.jpg
    DSCN3391.JPG
    PinkFloydGirls.jpg
    pig.jpeg
    pink-floyd-the-wall-movie-flowers-i7.jpg

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

He bought the "Back Catalogue" poster at the Expo auction. Maybe he likes the cow.

#2 9 years ago

"Gary Stern likes Pink Floyd"

Who doesn't, one of the greatest bands in the world eva!!
    Prog rock at it's best, solo in "Comfortably Numb" is one for for the ages

#3 9 years ago

Jdfitzy-in-Aus, give Porcupine Tree a listen, if you like Pink Floyd and prog rock, you'll love this band. Every album is perfect, Steve Wilson is a genius.
    just my opinion, Bob

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Did we just become best friends?

YUP!

#5 9 years ago

He can take my money if he does the wall!

#6 9 years ago

I hope he likes them enough to seek a license.

#7 9 years ago

the table would need toys like this

pink-floyd-the-wall-movie-flowers-i7.jpgpink-floyd-the-wall-movie-flowers-i7.jpg

edit: Stern doesn't have what it takes to make The Wall, maybe DP can do it justice.

#8 9 years ago

gary stern likes vodka too! (and makes it well known during his speeches

#9 9 years ago

I can't decide if I'd rather have a pin just of 'The Wall' or more of a greatest hits with welcome to the machine, money, etc.. like the ACDC pin.

Probably if my choice just 'The Wall' saw Rodger do that concert last year was the best concert I've been to. Still can't believe he gets away with some of the lyrics from 'In the flesh'

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from stooped:

He bought the "Back Catalogue" poster at the Expo auction. Maybe he likes the cow.

Fawk yea he should. One of the greatest bands ever. Gary isn't an idiot.

Speaking of which. Who else preordered , "The Endless River" ?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I can't decide if I'd rather have a pin just of 'The Wall' or more of a greatest hits with welcome to the machine, money, etc.. like the ACDC pin.
    Probably if my choice just 'The Wall' saw Rodger do that concert last year was the best concert I've been to. Still can't believe he gets away with some of the lyrics from 'In the flesh'

He's speaking as a character. It's not how he personally feels about black people and Jewish people. I can almost assure you.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Fawk yea he should. One of the greatest bands ever. Gary isn't an idiot.

Should be an awesome album...Nov 10 it is supposed to come out. This would be a dream pin for me. I have seen Floyd/Roger Waters many times. I saw Floyd in 87' without Roger Waters. Then I saw Roger doing Dark Side twice and the Wall as well. Unbelievable concerts.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

He's speaking as a character. It's not how he personally feels about black people and Jewish people. I can almost assure you.

I know, but still...

#14 9 years ago

I like Pink Floyd, and Vodka, Hmmmm.

#15 9 years ago

I'd be in for a Pink Floyd themed pin yesterday....

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Animals is incredible too. Really cannot miss on any of their stuff.

#17 9 years ago

that is one pin i wouldnt touch

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

The sounds effects from Time, Money, and other Dark Side tunes would be killer!! My 2 cents

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from muzikman:

The sounds effects from Time, Money, and other Dark Side tunes would be killer!! My 2 cents

I think it should be a greatest hits. Too many good tunes to just pick one album.

#20 9 years ago

Corporal Clegg Multiball. Several Small Species of Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict Jackpot! (Awesome callout. LOL.) House Proud Town Mouse Mystery Award. Welcome to the Machine Wizard Mode. When the Tigers Broke Free Multiball. The Thin Ice of Modern Life spinner. The South Hampton Dock scoop.

Ahh, so many obtuse cool stuff that could be a nod to classic Floyd. Alas, if the pin would be done like this it would have to be DP, as Stern would just keep it totally mainstream.

#21 9 years ago

that's the beatles

Quoted from beepnutz:

Porcupine Tree

now that is a new (old)one, i'll give it a listen.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's up on Demonoid.

Mostly instrumental.

#23 9 years ago

well that sucks about it being mostly instrumental, but the instrumental parts of Division Bell and MLOR are fantastic, so it will be nice to listen to while painting playfields.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from stooped:

Maybe he likes the cow.

Maybe he likes the pig. Last great album Floyd ever made.

pig.jpegpig.jpeg

#25 9 years ago

Everyone loves pink Floyd.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe he likes the bell. Last great album Floyd ever made.

Fixed it for you. Division Bell was the last great album they made. Came in strong and got better through the years. Every album was better than the one before it. Only one that could be switched around it DSOTM and the Wall. I think DSOTM is better than the wall. And Final cut should have been the first album. or we will not call that a Pink Floyd album, and call it what it really is.....roger Waters solo album.

#27 9 years ago

I like Meddle. Echos is a great song to chill too.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe he likes the pig. Last great album Floyd ever made.

pig.jpeg 5 KB

Animals is superb, but I have to disagree that it was their last great album, as The Wall is the best double album ever made.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And Final cut should have been the first album. or we will not call that a Pink Floyd album, and call it what it really is.....roger Waters solo album.

Agree 100%.

#30 9 years ago

I almost fell asleep at the Wall concert. Except for the cool animation on the wall they built, it was a snoozer.

#31 9 years ago

Maybe he likes the women.

PinkFloydGirls.jpgPinkFloydGirls.jpg
    #32 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I almost fell asleep at the Wall concert. Except for the cool animation on the wall they built, it was a snoozer.

It's not my fault you were drunk!

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And Final cut should have been the first album. or we will not call that a Pink Floyd album, and call it what it really is.....roger Waters solo album.

The vast majority of the Final Cut was "leftover songs from the Wall" per Roger Waters.

In an interview with David Gilmour he mentions that "Roger had proposed two conceptual projects to the band to record". The other members "weren't fond of the one idea so we settled on the Wall". The other project was "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking".

So I guess you would have to say the Wall was actually Roger's first solo album!

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's not my fault you were drunk!

I was actually getting into punk at the time, and I had missed the Animals show at Anaheim stadium on the previous tour. I heard that one was epic! The Wall was the kind of overkill of that time that really wasn't that entertaining. If I could go back 34 years, I would have gone to see the Dead Kennedys instead.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

or we will not call that a Pink Floyd album, and call it what it really is.....roger Waters solo album.

What's the difference? Momentary Lapse was a practically a Gilmour solo album as well. Neither album really features a functioning band. Final Cut is good enough for what it is.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

The vast majority of the Final Cut was "leftover songs from the Wall" per Roger Waters.

And the new "The Endless River" album is leftover songs from The Division Bell (1994).

#37 9 years ago

Pink Floyd machine would be awesome. Bring back some crazy memories. While playing kids would be tapping me on my forehead. DADDY DADDY. HELLO.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

What's the difference? Momentary Lapse was a practically a Gilmour solo album as well. Neither album really features a functioning band. Final Cut is good enough for what it is.

The difference is. Gilmour's solo stuff is fucking awesome and waters solo stuff kinda sucks.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The difference is. Gilmour's solo stuff is fucking awesome and waters solo stuff kinda sucks.

I don't agree, but we like different parts of the music.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I disagree, 'The Final Cut' is one of my favorite PF albums I really like 'Amused to Death' and like somewhat 'Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking'. I'll give you 'Radio K.A.O.S' that kind of sucks.

I think when you say Waters stuff kind of sucks, that means you don't care for it, but that does not mean it sucks (for everyone else).

#41 9 years ago

When anyone says something sucks. It sucks to them and is an opinion. But even P.F's worst is still better than a lot of new musics best. Something has to be their top and bottom and I feel Final Cut is their bottom. Even the beatles have a bottom list and top list. Anyone say Revolution 9?

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

When anyone says something sucks. It sucks to them and is an opinion. But even P.F's worst is still better than a lot of new musics best. Something has to be their top and bottom and I feel Final Cut is their bottom. Even the beatles have a bottom list and top list. Anyone say Revolution 9?

I agree that 'The Final Cut' is a weaker PF album but I listen to it more than 'DSOTM', but I prefer 'Final Cut' to any of their later stuff.

#43 9 years ago

I think I met Gary at Soldier Field June 19th 1977. It was a Sunday, Fathers Day. He was next to me at the Pink Floyd Animals Tour in the infield about the 40-yard line right below, what would be. the hovering pig. I think he may have passed something back and forth from 10:00 am that morning until Floyd began at 8:00 p.m. What a day for teenager....

Hey Gary, stop by my place before the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl to play some Daisy May and Frontiersman with Floyd vinyl on the Thorens turntable through the McKintosh 275 tube amp, and JBL L166 speakers. Its all good, and only getting better!!

#44 9 years ago

I have fantasized quite a bit about a Pink Floyd pin. Huge fan. I'd really like to see it revolve around Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall. The album art of each of these albums is iconic, and would translate excellently to playfield art. The animals portion having the pig, the Wall having perhaps a wall bashtoy, dark side with a light prism, WYWH with a machine of some sort. Selection of tracks from these four masterpiece albums, as well as modes. Wizard mode could be reaching the dark side of the moon, or whatever!

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

Jdfitzy-in-Aus, give Porcupine Tree a listen, if you like Pink Floyd and prog rock, you'll love this band. Every album is perfect, Steve Wilson is a genius.
    just my opinion, Bob

Cheers Bob, just listened to "Arriving somewhere but not here" on you tube.
    Wow!
    Thanks heaps for the tip, just found me a new band to get into.

Interesting aside, when you start typing porcupine into Google, one of the first results is porcupine meatballs really??

I was lucky enough to see the taping of "Pulse" at Earls Court in London in '94.
    I still get goosebumps watching it now, highly recommended.
    Cheers, Fitzy.

#46 9 years ago

The Final Cut was really a Waters solo venture. He used Gilmour and the rest of the band as session musicians for this one. Sure it came out under Pink Floyd title, but it is all Rog.

I caught them in 1988 and again in 1994. Both times at Texas stadium and the concerts were so good they had to EXPLODE the venue when they were done . Both times I went with a huge crew of my peeps and we were wound up properly for a Floyd experience. Man did David deliver.

After the 1994 show I became active on the BBS bootleg circuit and traded for many rare live tapes of Floyd playing around the world. Surely you guys remember the pre internet days of BBS and trading cassette tapes with other like minded Floyd freaks? Wow that seems like another lifetime.

In for a Floyd pin!

#47 9 years ago

Awesome,

So do I. Saw Roger Water years ago Poppler , Hoffman Estates,IL. Then in Milwaukee at Summerfest and lastly at the United Center for the Wall.

Toss in went to see Brit Floyd and Aussie Floyd at the Chicago theater.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

Saw Roger Water years ago Poppler , Hoffman Estates,IL.

I was there too! September 1987. Was my first concert ever. Great show!

#49 9 years ago

Jdfitzy-in-Aus, Enjoy the band, I most certainly have for the past 18 years. Started with Signify album and have bought everything Steve Wilson has put out, including all PT albums, the Blackfield albums and most of his No-Man albums. I've seen them 6 times in 3 different states in the US, Steve and band are simply awesome. I was going to pick a favorite album, but could not decide, love them all. I've been to about 450 - 500 concerts since 1973, and PT rates as one of the best bands I have ever witnessed.
    Rock on, Bob
    DSCN3391.JPGDSCN3391.JPG
    http://www.allmusic.com/artist/porcupine-tree-mn0000854203/discography

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I caught them in 1988 and again in 1994.

I saw them in '94 at The Rose Bowl in Pasadena. What a show!

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-likes-pink-floyd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.