Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TigerLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jump.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

So wait... the Premiums don't sell, not many sold, so does that make the ones that have the real LE's

Who knows, but the entire premise of this thread is wrong anyway, so my point is moot.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

I was sitting in the seminar, Gary said it.
    Maybe pinball news will post audio of the seminar.

What part of the seminar? Here is the video:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54117198

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

What part of the seminar? Here is the video:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54117198

He's confused.

At the 11:50 mark Gary talks about there being no more AC/DC Premiums. Later, he also says that there are no more Metallica Premiums left.

He never said there will be no more Premium versions offered going forward.

#54 9 years ago

So if they eliminate the premium and they don't increase twdle totals, he just put control of the possible value increase into collectors hands by it actually being limited... That's if he doesn't do a premium and doesn't increase the game total over 500... If this is the new model he chooses then I would expect them to increase the le total numbers made to 1k or something much higher so he can reap the profits of more sales and less models

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

He's confused.
    At the 11:50 mark Gary talks about there being no more AC/DC Premiums. Later, he also says that there are no more Metallica Premiums left.
    He never said there will be no more Premium versions offered going forward.

My guy at stern says they've all but abandoned the preemie model.

#56 9 years ago

if this is true, 500 LE won't be enough, 1k seems more right but not really limited anymore...

they should call it the SE.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

So if they eliminate the premium and they don't increase twdle totals, he just put control of the possible value increase into collectors hands by it actually being limited... That's if he doesn't do a premium and doesn't increase the game total over 500... If this is the new model he chooses then I would expect them to increase the le total numbers made to 1k or something much higher so he can reap the profits of more sales and less models

Nope. LE will mean LE. But pros will be built til the cows come home.

Which confuses me. If the marketing is getting better at Stern ( gradually), and so far the strategy has been working, who made the idiotic decision to release Pro first then sell a limited number of LE's after Pro release?

Good decisions compounded by bad ones.

#58 9 years ago

It sounds wrong to me too. It doesn't make sense, it's basically a rerun of a winner, that's still in run.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Notbychance:

Luckily you can get LE features in a vault addition after that if you want a premium so to say in the future. Thank god for vault additions.

Huh?

#60 9 years ago

I wish they would dump the LE and just make a premium.
    Unlimited premium.

#61 9 years ago

Can anyone clarify this issue?
    Two of Sterns most successful recent releases were ACDC premium and MET premium. Gary can't be oblivious to this fact. If his plan is to release only LEs and Pros, there's going to be a ton of unhappy buyers and money moving to alternatives- JJP, boutiques, re-makes, etc...

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Nope. LE will mean LE. But pros will be built til the cows come home.
    Which confuses me. If the marketing is getting better at Stern ( gradually), and so far the strategy has been working, who made the idiotic decision to release Pro first then sell a limited number of LE's after Pro release?
    Good decisions compounded by bad ones.

Sounds like another bad decision then. Doesn't make sense not to increase the number of le. Ur leaving profits on the table. Well with a good title u are but they can headge there bets. Announce 1k le if the game doesn't sell they never have to get to the 1k total.. If they don't then we as collectors just landed the next tron le

#63 9 years ago

52:10 he said they didn't decide whether they will make an TWD Premium yet..

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

52:10 he said they didn't decide whether they will make an TWD Premium yet..

Exactly. They could still make it.

Quite the opposite of saying no more Premiums going forward, only pro and LE.

#65 9 years ago

To many overpriced options in my opinion, should really be two models one standard that has the same playfield and basic toys, targets etc and one that gives you a few extra bells and whistles. Nicer trim, shaker, different Translight or Backglass. Do it like they did before and hell now they are doing Mods so offer those to the standard games as well other then maybe one thing that makes the LE more desirable because you cant buy it aftermarket.

This is the same old story from Stern Bla Bla Bla. I think the Alien theme announced from Andrew and Dennis is awesome and a decent price, I like the Big Lebowski and what the guys at DP are doing. I think I would Be in on a Pinball Circus if they go into production down the road because I think they wanna stick to what Python wanted and at a affordable price for everyone.

The Hobbit I was in on and because of Finances I had to back out, I wanna like the SmaugSE version but Im a bit Disappointed with Smaug, I also really thought the VUK's were gonna be wire forms and the book has to just be a Proto thing there is no way they go into production with that. So right now I think I am also gonna stay with what I have in the collection 21 pins is good. I might reconsider Hobbit as we get closer to the Dec 31st deadline on Smaug SE if something changes.

One thing I am gonna get that I saw is now an option to purchase is the 75th topper for WOZ and 150.00 is not that terrible.

Just my 2 cents

Joe(acejedi)

#66 9 years ago

I'm so confused.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

It sounds wrong to me too. It doesn't make sense, it's basically a rerun of a winner, that's still in run.

Future Vault Editions would be Pro models or full featured LEs?

#68 9 years ago

Stupidest thread ever. Thanks everyone.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I agree on less models.. but they should have stuck to pro and premium. People are REALLY going to fight over LE's now

Yup. Pro/LE is a douche move. So hardly surprising.

Quoted from fuko:I agree it's a bad for the consumer, but it makes sense. Having 3 (or more) SKUs for one game must be incredibly difficult to manage. Plus Premiums only cannibalize demand for LEs. This is a smart business move

Having one SKU proved pretty difficult for them at times!

#70 9 years ago

Look. You can't make an "LE" edition...and then turn around 6 months later and produce the same exact game with different back glass and trim, only to call it a premium.

Sorry folks, but that is LAME.

The should make their Pros and a Premium model. Sell the premium for 1.5K less than their current LE.

Leave it at that and everyone is happy. If a collector really needs extra bling, they can order a Refinery Edition...or do it themselves.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Oh sure. Gary Gary Gary.
    But if I say no preemies you guys never believe me!
    Long overdue drop of preemies according to stern.
    The LE will continue to have added pf mechs and software, the pro will not.
    Get what you pay for is the new business model.

And "f*** Stern" is the new buying model.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Look. You can't make an "LE" edition...and then turn around 6 months later and produce the same exact game with different back glass and trim, only to call it a premium.
    Sorry folks, but that is LAME.
    The should make their Pros and a Premium model. Sell the premium for 1.5K less than their current LE.
    Leave it at that and everyone is happy.

The only way that works better for Stern is if they are confident with every single title.
    If each game was a hit, we'd buy tons of them after the code is done.
    Of course without a Premium, Stern could sell a bunch of LEs (buyers are pressured to get one while available, even without complete code) and if the game isn't a hit, they've still sold the LEs.

Buyers will own all the risk.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from gprotein:

I'm so confused.

So was the OP.

#74 9 years ago

Good thing I am a big PRO buyer! What needs to happen is another company needs to start developing new good titles for around or under 5000 bucks! All other competition is in the high end 6-8.5k range. Why isn't anyone trying to get more less expensive games sold to the masses? I think some new development is needed, not every game needs dozens of toys or features. Sometimes less is more, old school design needs to be reinstated.

#75 9 years ago

I probably wouldn't buy a Pro since it's too watered down with features and can live without all the bling of an LE. Screw it...I guess I'm fine with what I own for now.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Manbearpig:

Good thing I am a big PRO buyer!

Why do people continue to post in this thread as though what the OP stated is true and accurate?

It's not.

Gary Stern did NOT state that there would be no Premium versions going forward!

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from Manbearpig:

Good thing I am a big PRO buyer! What needs to happen is another company needs to start developing new good titles for around or under 5000 bucks! All other competition is in the high end 6-8.5k range. Why isn't anyone trying to get more less expensive games sold to the masses? I think some new development is needed, not every game needs dozens of toys or features. Sometimes less is more, old school design needs to be reinstated.

Heighway Pinball is selling two for one at $10K...that's 5K a game

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I wish they would dump the LE and just make a premium.
    Unlimited premium.

Exactly. Why on earth does the full playfield experience have to be inexorably linked to bling level??

But it won't be, so don't worry

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Why do people continue to post in this thread as though what the OP stated is true and accurate?
    It's not.
    Gary Stern did NOT state that there would be no Premium versions going forward!

Damn it Rob, how do you do bold??

ooh, found it.

#81 9 years ago

I was just stating that pro is the market that I normally can afford. I feel that even spending close to 5k is crazy for a entry level game. I feel like we may be priced out of the market soon! Im considering not buying TWD pro just because the price has risen every time Stern releases a new title in the last couple years. No, I don't take all of the threads for fact!

#82 9 years ago

I don't understand Stern's marketing.(If they are saying, no more PREMIUM"S)....Let's just take the last 2 "BEST" seller's for Stern...
    They announced AC/DC LE's first, to a great extent, and limited to 200 LTBR -300 BIB, within a week,
    ALL LE's were sold out.,..... BUT, they ended up selling more PREMIUM's than ANY other machine to date. They even came out with a re-make of the PREMIUM (Luci)(still selling)..Even the pro's sold well (still selling), compared to other pro's.
    So, then they come out with Metallica LE's, which were , what 500 games?.,
    which SOLD OUT in 1 hour.!! The PREMIUM'S were then snatched up by those, who could not get a LE.,
    selling a boat load of those.(still selling).., and of course, Pro's have sold extremely well as well,(still selling) ...
    Then ST came about, LE's have sold OK,PREMIUM'S sold very well, Pro's sold Great.!!

Then along come's Mustang......
    With Pinball manufacturer's like Stern, they get into a room, and analyze the data/sales of their LAST game...
    ..they now look at the data for Mustang Le's , and Mustang Pro's and Premium mustangs...
    And realize the premium is a dud big time of the 3.., So they decide to not produce the premium model forward, but they should not do that.., Premium is a great seller depending on the game., and Largely depending on the LE sales...

#83 9 years ago

Ok, in following this thread, what went so wrong for Stern when they made compelling titles in: LOTR, Simpsons and Spiderman- all fully loaded with great toys that retailed for $4k US?
    Were they losing their shirts at that price?
    Considering the lack of interactive toys on the most recent Stern releases, I think their model is shifting towards 'more money for less'. As long as they keep selling out the over-priced LEs and we accept the stripped down pros, Stern will maintain this model. IMHO- not good.

#84 9 years ago

Why can't Stern have a Premium model be the default, with a limited number of cheaper/stripped down "Pro" models initially?
    Operators snap up all the Pros with limited code at launch. Once they're gone, only Premiums (the full game) is available -since most sales are probably home collectors by then anyway?
    Pros come out first, but limited code isn't as big a problem as they're being routed. Limited Pros mean that you might not see a new pin everywhere, so maybe people even pay more to play them initially?
    Especially if we're trying them out to see if they're great enough to warrant buying a Premium?
    Then, after a little while the code is a little better developed and the Premiums sell to home buyers.
    If the Pros don't go over well, no need to make many Premiums at all.

I understand that this is a pipe dream and that the market is the way it is cause that's how the money flows (for lack of a more detailed breakdown), but man... That would be awesome.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from Notbychance:

Luckily you can get LE features in a vault addition after that if you want a premium so to say in the future. Thank god for vault additions.

One of the rare posts where I don't know whether to give a thumbs up or thumbs down because I really have no concept of its meaning.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

I don't understand Stern's marketing.(If they are saying, no more PREMIUM"S)..

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

At expo Stern seminar.
    Gary Stern just announced no more premium models as option from here on out.
    Pro and LE only !

I did not hear that but he did talk a lot about beer.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crashnburn:

I did not hear that but he did talk a lot about beer.

Apparently mnpinball did a lot more than hear about beer.

#89 9 years ago

Just watched the entire speech.
    As Rob says, not a single mention about not doing any more premiums.
    In fact he did not rule out if they would do a premium Walking Dead.

#90 9 years ago

i wonder what else gary didn't talk about?

#91 9 years ago

Gotta love the OP to stir up a shitstorm and bail. The post is inaccurate and should be closed. People will just keep debating false information till someone rages.

#92 9 years ago

jump.jpgjump.jpg
    #93 9 years ago

Should be done like WOZ/Hobbit. Game play is always the same...cosmetic changes only for LE.
    nuff said

#94 9 years ago

I honestly don't care lol I think a pro or le is good and i hope stern would start making there pins a little more durable as i know a few guys that had to have new playfields replaced all ready.

#95 9 years ago

I really don't care if they make 5 versions of a game, just give me some creativity on the playfield with some interactive toys and/or innovation! I want to see something on the playfield and think to myself "that's cool, I want that!". Not the same old bash toys, magnets, lit shots, drop target banks, and a shot that returns the ball to the shooter lane. Even something as simple as the spinning disc in Tron and how it puts backspin on the ball was something I found fun, for example.

Bling does nothing for me if the gameplay sucks and the playfield is nothing new/innovative.

#96 9 years ago

Ok I ran into Martin pinball news and he says Gary was talking about AC /DC premiums. Not games in general. Sorry for confusion. Did not mean to goof that up. Walking Dead premiums were not confirmed either. If some people thought I was a troll whatever.... Not meant to be, I seriously thought I heard that. I can't watch the streaming seminar on phone. I won't post anything more. I'll let some other guy stumble over themselves. I'm going back to play pinball.

#97 9 years ago

RobT

Are you @ Expo?

If so ask Gary if he's making Tron Premiums

#98 9 years ago

Hey Stern, pros are fine for under $4300 and you will have my business. I will not pay top dollar for stripped down games and undeveloped code. Oh wait prices just keep increasing looks like my NIB days are over...

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

The only way that works better for Stern is if they are confident with every single title.
    If each game was a hit, we'd buy tons of them after the code is done.
    Of course without a Premium, Stern could sell a bunch of LEs (buyers are pressured to get one while available, even without complete code) and if the game isn't a hit, they've still sold the LEs.
    Buyers will own all the risk.

You're right, buyers and distributors bear the brunt of misjudged sales, with forced pre-sales and usually declining values. There are only 3 options here:

1) Stern guesses low, some buyers are forced to purchase sign unseen and other buyers miss out entirely on the only full game play model, and Stern loses out on high $ game sales.

2) Stern guess high, buyers again feel they have to buy sight unseen just in case it sells out, and distributors are stuck with extra inventory because they too are forced to pre-order, and every LE loses value in the aftermarket. Patient buyers get to play the game and buy at a reduced cost.

3) Stern guesses spot on. Odds of this based on track record is 20%. Would anyone base their business on 20% accuracy?

Who likes buying a $7000+ lottery ticket with not even the chance to double the ticket price?

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think this is great news actually.

^^ This guy!!

#100 9 years ago

Well Gary is making a mistake, but are you guys noticing the method in the madness? (I'm guessing) They will sell you a Pro and let you add mods to it from their online store.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-just-announced-at-expo-now/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.