(Topic ID: 40762)

Gary Stern confirms Wi-Fi coming, tournament play through the cloud.

By Napabar

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinder
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

Still tough to stop people from cheating. Even if they have some kind of detection of the glass being on the machine, people could be crazy enough to cut a hole in the glass to cheat.
    I'm not a serious enough player to actually care about if I get beat or not, and I despise cheating in anything I do, so I think it would be fun to play against some friends on here at random. I don't get anything out of cheating, so it would be fun to see how I fair against some other people I know on here but have never met. Sounds good to me!

In the grand scheme of things.... it doesn't matter much. Networked video games have the same problem and have had them since games went online. People will cheat, and that sucks, and it's a never-ending tug of war between anti-cheat detection and cheaters coming up with new ways to cheat. However, the overall benefit and fun of online play and the increased sales of the games overrides the drawbacks of cheaters. Also like video games, habitual cheaters will start to get a rep and people will simply avoid them or call them out on the forums.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

The cloud tournament doesn't have to be in the home. Multiple cities could set up locations that are run by a moderator at each location that has set up the game to specifications and watches that nobody cheats. Then the players in each city meet up at the one location to play in the tournament and still compete with players in other cities. There will still be differences between the machines but it would be kept to a minimum and nobody can cheat by taking the glass off or putting rubber bands on the out lanes.

Also, a system of handicapping might be possible, based on the game audits of one machine versus another over the course of the event.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Oh, I totally agree, don't get me wrong. But it would go a long way if more tourneys would simply adopt Aurcade and work with what's currently possible.
    At the moment the big hurdle is games that only flash completed scores up for 3 seconds and then take 5 minutes to rotate the DMD back around to show them again. If the ref doesn't get that score the first time you're going to stand there doing nothing for too long.

Newer machines you just hit both flippers. The worst are some 90s DMDs. I remember a flinstones that took like five minutes to cycle around.

Lately what I've been doing is I let players write down their own scores. The score isn't official until verified by the scorekeeper. This allows the official to focus more on queuing, answering questions and watching other games for shenanigans, as opposed to being a deer in the headlights waiting with pen in hand for the score to flash up again.

I give each of these score verifiers a sheet of stickers or an ink stamp. It's slightly more secure and faster than the signature method. Everyone just scribbles their signature anyway and it often involves using the game as a table to write on so the game is in a down state that much longer. I can also track the scorekeepers if there's an issue by the stickers I gave them. One guy gets football stickers another gets space ships, etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 28.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 229.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside