(Topic ID: 40762)

Gary Stern confirms Wi-Fi coming, tournament play through the cloud.

By Napabar

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

88AEBFE9-D82A-4FC6-A3BF-CE465C5B469C (resized).jpeg
    204634701_4057868290994571_7863711791275887897_n (resized).jpg
    204445593_4057868167661250_8084786158561506176_n (resized).jpg
    revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadtower.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago

"We're gonna talk on the cloud. We're gonna let people compete."

That isn't exactly a product announcement. It sounds like someone who has no idea what "the cloud" actually means.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Napabar:

Seems like he has enough of a grasp for me. Nothing he said was contradictory...
    Haters gotta hate.....

Okay, then... how does it work? What protocols will the machine be using? Wifi or ethernet? Will it be regional scoring or some sort of tournament system or both? What type of central data storage will be used and where will it be located? Will that data be accessible in any format from outside of a Stern pinball machine?

"The cloud" doesn't just happen. There are a lot of things going on there and generally anyone who refers to it as "the cloud" does so because they have no idea what exists inside that foggy bubble.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Yea, "Talk on the Cloud" is kind of humorous to a computer nerd but you understand what he meant - that the games would be able to connect to a central database wirelessly via the internet.
    Cloud is the new buzzword. Everyone watches commercials.

Treat the comment for what it was - an innocuous comment during a conversation awkwardly edited into a news bit. It's not a product announcement.

I guess you have to have experienced that about 50000 times. Senior executives love to talk about "the cloud" until they are made aware of the scope and expense of what they want. Can't tell you how many times I've been in a room and had an older exec ask why we "can't just have the cloud do it like in the IBM commercials". They always back off when the answer is "just having the cloud do it means paying IBM consultants a couple million dollars to implement the design and perform ongoing operations".

If he had said "gonna use an LCD" in a badly edited comment would we be having this conversation?

#29 11 years ago

No, but you'll be able to announce it on your Facebook wall when you enter your initials, right? That's in the cloud.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

"the cloud" seems like its interchangeable with "the internet".

"the cloud" = ("the internet" + "the people who can make it possible" + "the people who can keep it running")

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

If you criticize them will they kick you off the cloud?

If I compete on a Rolling Stones will it scream "HEY YOU GET OFFA MY CLOUD" and reject my scores?

#45 11 years ago

I won't call it fair unless there is a way to ensure the guy on the machine next to me didn't eat his last four meals at the Mexican place across the street. I'm not competing IN THE CLOUD, I'm competing ON THE CLOUD.

#49 11 years ago

That's how tournaments work without any clouds.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

I worked for IBM for 12 years as a Unix admin. I have spent a lot of time setting up "Cloud" infrastructure. I agree its a vague and meaningless term but its been drilled into me by IBM

Oh, well since I spent 3 hours this morning working around AIX limitations in filesystem permissions, could you tell your bosses how much I hate them? Seriously. Testicle punching would be nice here. In fact, $20 if you do it, per boss.

I actually DO work "in the IBM cloud" on a customer site, and lemme tellya, the IBM cloud smells like burrito farts.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Like I said, I "worked" (past tense) for them. They sent my job to India last year. But I'm still having problems getting "IBM Cloud" out of my brain.

Understood but my bounty still stands. Sorry to hear about your job. It's a "cloud" that hangs over all of our heads these days.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Try using ACL's.

Not allowed in existing major production filesystems with complex shared mounting schemes. The effort/cost of rolling out the ACLs requires unmounts/remounts and it's just not gonna happen here. We have to constantly work around limitations in commands like chgrp because when they expanded the groups list to 128 they didn't update the command binaries to look beyond position 16 in the list.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

Think bigger, yet smaller. Think of tournaments where you're playing locally, but want automated score keeping. Think of having a row of Avengers, X Men, Dark Trek into Star Ness, and Metallica all in a row. You hit start, hold up your player's badge with a QR code on it to the web cam. Game recognizes you, and at the end of the game automatically uploads your score to the tournament server.cuts the pain of running a local tournament by 90% right there!

The data engine side of that already exists with Aurcade. The interface for Aurcade is refs with Ipads, though, not the game uploading data on its own.

Major pinball tournaments have been using Aurcade's tourney engine for a couple of years now with great success. Vid tourneys like the annual ACAM Tournament too.

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

Right, and that's better but still a long way from ideal. Usually when you're playing in a tournament a large bottleneck is simply waiting for tournament volunteer to come over and record who you are, what game it is, and what your score is. Heaven help you if multiple people finish at the same time, you'll be there a while. Having machines self report on games where nothing special happened would cut that time out entirely, even if it's only a one machine tournament.less downtime means more entries means more money means better for everyone. And that's only the improvement I'm willing to spot in public! There are a ton of other ways the process could be improved.

Oh, I totally agree, don't get me wrong. But it would go a long way if more tourneys would simply adopt Aurcade and work with what's currently possible.

At the moment the big hurdle is games that only flash completed scores up for 3 seconds and then take 5 minutes to rotate the DMD back around to show them again. If the ref doesn't get that score the first time you're going to stand there doing nothing for too long.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadtower.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-confirms-wi-fi-coming-tournament-play-through-the-cloud?tu=chadtower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.