Gary Stern CES 2016, Talks spiderman, pinball

By Toasterdog

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Not sure if this is a dupe post, but pretty interesting non the less.

Didn't know they were getting into corporate branded games as well. Look out Spooky

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Didn't know they were getting into corporate branded games as well.
» YouTube video

Not surprising. Got to milk the cash cow whilst pinball is hot and people & marketing departments have cash in their pockets.

#3 8 years ago

Real articulate guy huh? Anyway, definitely appreciate the fact that the machines are made in the USA.

#4 8 years ago

Seeing footage or a pin in real life does SO MUCH more me than just seeing the photos. I was pretty eh from the photos, but this Spider-Man pin looks great in this video.

#5 8 years ago

Spidey looks good back there. Long live pinball

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Real articulate guy huh? Anyway, definitely appreciate the fact that the machines are made in the USA.

Ha, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he's just repeating in his head, "Okay, don't blurt out anything about Ghostbusters or LCD... The Pinsiders will be watching!"

#7 8 years ago

Papa John's ..?

#8 8 years ago

I gotta say that spidey looked much better in that video, even the backglass

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I gotta say that spidey looked much better in that video, even the backglass

Unpossible. Early hate feedback has never ever happened on pinside.

#10 8 years ago

The game looks great IMHO

#11 8 years ago

He said "Pop companies" Looking forward to a Shasta Beverages pin

#12 8 years ago

interesting. good video

#13 8 years ago

Gary is not a collector like many of us, but I do think he is a good ambassador for pinball, his name is on the box and he still gets out there, so for some of you, like it or not, these type of things are really good for all of us. To maintain pinball as a viable entertainment option, I am glad they keep producing, and pointing out all of their markets. I worry they soon may price everyone out of the market (all of us), and they really need to begin to harness the new technology sooner than later, but kudos to Stern. That game looks pretty awesome..

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Gary is not a collector like many of us, but I do think he is a good ambassador for pinball, his name is on the box and he still gets out there, so for some of you, like it or not, these type of things are really good for all of us.

I like that: ambassador for pinball. That's a great way of putting it. I've run into Gary a few times now and had a couple chats with him. I know people don't want to hear this but he is not the devil. Like it or not, Gary is the reason we have pinball machines to play that were built past 1999.

For people that nitpick his interviews and speeches: Interviews are hard. Try doing some with a camera 9 inches from your face with no cue cards. I've done a few and they are no fun.

As for pricing, I see other threads calling Stern greedy but you know I don't see a ton of unsold NIB's sitting anywhere, so I guess someone is still buying

#15 8 years ago

Where did he mention Papa John's?

#16 8 years ago

Gary could make a living doing anything, but he chooses to work in the pinball industry, because his family has, and because he remembers all the great designers and people in the industry in the heyday, he loves Pinball and is a fantastic ambassador for the hobby in my opinion. He could be sitting on a beach somewhere drinking margaritas right now, but instead he's talking to some dude he's never met at a trade show trying to sell more pinball machines. Gotta respect the hustle.

#17 8 years ago

I was a little bummed on his answer about future tech for pinball. Social media and updating the games via the web, I was hoping he would spill the beans and at least mention lcd, color dmd or something.

#18 8 years ago

It sure sounds like Stern is dipping a toe into the data east days of custom games. That's kind of interesting.

#19 8 years ago

if they make a Waffle House LE im totally in for a pre-order.

#20 8 years ago

Spider-Man was sitting back there with a ball in the shooter lane. I wish they would have had the attract mode running so we could have seen some animations.

#21 8 years ago

Stern did a corporate game for Good Morning America or somebody several years ago, you can find it on IPDB

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

if they make a Waffle House LE im totally in for a pre-order.

Would it only be playable after 2am?

#23 8 years ago

I can see the inserts now:

Scattered
Smothered
Covered
Diced
Toothless
Barflies

#24 8 years ago

Waffle House LE is the go to pin after a night of drinking

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I can see the inserts now:
Scattered
Smothered
Covered
Diced
Toothless
Barflies

Ill order the chopped and screwed edition...

#26 8 years ago

what the heck would you retheme into a beer themed pinball? AC/DC maybe? The swinging bell is replaced by a beer keg that pours out beer, and the inserts fill up like spilt beer? The train becomes a beer truck, the TNT switch becomes a tapper, the jukebox becomes a beer menu.. Hey, maybe it's not so bad afterall? question is, who does the code? Do they farm it out to someone with a copy of pinball browser to change out all the animations and sounds?

#27 8 years ago

Will the Waffle House machine have better code support than KISS?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.50
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-ces-2016-talks-spiderman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.