Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by John_I
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

This was just announced yesterday:

SPF proudly announces the 2012 guest speakers!

Saturday November 17th
    -Gary Stern from Stern Pinball will be speaking at Noon
    -Jack Guarnieri of Jersey Jack Pinball will be speaking at 3pm

Get there early because we expect to fill the room to fill quickly for both speakers! We look toward to seeing you there!

Both Stern and JJP will also be showing at the IAAPA show in Orlando from Monday through Friday of the same week. This is a monster show that is an unreal blast to attend, followed directly be SPF. I am told that JJP will have as many as eight WoZ pins at IAAPA, so hopefully one will find its way to SPF also.

SPF is also an IFPA PAPA Circuit Event.

www.southernpinballfestival.com

http://www2.iaapa.org/expos/attractions/2012/index.asp

#2 11 years ago

I am told the WoZ pins will have as many as 8 rules by then too!

#3 11 years ago

In this corner weighing in at...........

#4 11 years ago

hope clay shows up and asks good questions. go clay. tell it like it is.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I am told the WoZ pins will have as many as 8 rules by then too!

Actually I think that WoZ will be much improved by Expo and I know that JJP will want it to be even better for the huge international IAAPA show which is a month later. Keith said after PPE that the basic underlying software is almost done and the rest of the game specific code will start dropping into place quickly once that happens.

I suspect that Orlando in mid-November will be the place to be if you want a sneak peak of the REAL WoZ...

#6 11 years ago

Crap. Of course they are going to be there on Saturday when I'm only going to be able to be there on Friday.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Crap. Of course they are going to be there on Saturday when I'm only going to be able to be there on Friday.

That stinks. Last year at SPF Gary hung around and played pinball with the crowd for a couple of hours after his talk. It was pretty cool.

Are you going to IAAPA at all? Both Gary and Jack will be hanging out there all week before SPF. It is a good opportunity to have a long chat with either one.

#8 11 years ago

I don't even know what IAAPA is. We are going to be in Orlando on vacation Nov 10-17, and Oldpinguy had let me know about the festival and is trying to keep me up to speed by alerting me to this post also. We are leaving early Sat morning because it's a 9 hour drive back to TN, but were planning on spending Friday at SPF.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I don't even know what IAAPA is.

http://www.iaapa.org/

LTG

#10 11 years ago

Well I figured that. I looked it up last night but the whole website looks way more like professional amusement people registering for some big expo/conference and not so much 'blonde chick walking around looking at and drooling over pinball machines.'

I am a member of and double certified by IAAP (Intl Assoc of Admin Professionals) but I don't think that counts. Maybe if I flash my ID card really quick they'll misread and let me in.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Well I figured that. I looked it up last night but the whole website looks way more like professional amusement people registering for some big expo/conference and not so much 'blonde chick walking around looking at and drooling over pinball machines.'
    I am a member of and double certified by IAAP (Intl Assoc of Admin Professionals) but I don't think that counts. Maybe if I flash my ID card really quick they'll misread and let me in.

Everything you can possibly imagine at an amusement park or Fair is at the IAAPA show. There are tons of coin op on free play, pinball, video games, shooting galleries, haunted houses, basketball shooter games, Skeeball, redemption, dancing games, etc, etc. There is an area outside that is MANY acres filled with rides and cotton candy machines. Makeup and face painting. There is a huge area inside with food vending items all set up and giving away food for free. I wandered around and ate soft pretzels, sausage dogs, cinnamon buns, ice cream, pop corn and who knows what else until I was about to explode. The show is so huge I was exhausted when I left. Then I followed that right up with the Southern Pinball Festival for the weekend!

#12 11 years ago

I went to SPF in Orlando last year and it was a blast. Free parking, great venue and great line up. Games worked great. 15 bucks all day. TF was the big deal then. I'll be back.

Whats the line up this year? Are they going to raffle a machines off?

#13 11 years ago

IAAPA sounds fun. I'll have to check more into both, but since we are leaving early on Saturday I'll only have time for one, so I'll probably be at the SPF playing all the machines while everyone else is at IAAPA. Short lines for the win.

Av8- I've been looking for a line up or more info for awhile also. I hope once we get closer there will be more added to the website.

#14 11 years ago

Iaapa tickets 278.00! SPF not so much.

#15 11 years ago

Oh look, Av8 just helped me make up my mind. I'm pretty sure something said $15 for SPF.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

hope clay shows up and asks good questions. go clay. tell it like it is.

Too much of the Q/A was spent answering the BOM question asked by Clay, and I personally would have liked to hear other people ask questions as it took up a huge percentage of the Q/A session as it turned into a dialogue.

I don't know if he was trying to indict Stern of using cheap materials and charging the same price as Jack, or he was saying Jack wouldn't survive on those margins because his quality of parts was too expensive. (Maybe both? Maybe neither?)

Anyways, Jack answered what his BOM was and stated that it penciled out. Jack was not going to be any more forthcoming than that, so it was time to move on.

I would have liked to hear how Nordman leaving the company effects the 2nd pin in production and if during his short time there if he had any input into it? He was supposedly the lead on that project.

Remember PPE was only a couple of days after it become public Nordman had left.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Iaapa tickets 278.00! SPF not so much.

Yeah IAAPA is not cheap unless one of the companies at the show gets you in for free They don't want people like me wandering around using it like an amusement park and not buying a roller coaster or something!

Being all pinball, SPF is the better and cheaper choice if you have to do just one! Also, found out today that all food and beverages at the hotel will be 25% off with the SPF wrist band. Now that is a good deal.

As for the game lineup, I'm not sure if the guys running the show will have a list this year. I can ask them. I do know that it is hard to nail down exactly what each person is bringing and people get upset when a game they were counting on is not there or ends up being used exclusively in the Tournament. I can tell you that I am bringing No Fear, Paragon, Jack in the Box, Quick Draw and Fire Queen for sure. Also, possibly Target Alpha as long as I can get it working 100%.

#18 11 years ago

*We are proud to announce that tickets are available for sale at www.southernpinballfestival.com One day admittance is $15, a weekend pass is $35, and a VIP package is $60(includes admittance
    for all three days, one free entry into the tournament with a total prize purse of $4500, a
    commemorative key chain, t-shirt, and a 2012 show poster). Just print your receipt and bring it to
    the door to receive your wrist band.

*WE NEED YOUR GAMES! Don't forget to sign up for game donation. With your donation, you
    receive free entrance to the show the entire weekend. Load in is easily accessible to the show floor
    and a short distance too. We will be sending instructions where to load when you sign up. Also, we
    have several large parking slips available, on the property, for larger trailers. Space is limited so
    please make sure you let us know you need a slip for your large trailer, and we will reserve that for
    you!! So start changing those bulbs and tweaking your flippers, SPF 2012 will be here before you know it!! *HOTEL information is up on the web site.

Click the passkey link to book your room for $99.00 a
    night. Upgrades available upon request for a fee. The location is anticipating "our" arrival and is
    extremely excited to have SPF as well as you and your family. The property includes a pool, bar, and
    restaurant, all under one roof. And is located in the heart of International Drive, easily accessible to
    dozens of restaurants, attractions, and shopping.

*ALSO, we will be releasing more updates concerning volunteers sign-up, as well as tournament
    information. So keep checking back! If you have any questions, feel free to contact us through the
    web site, or through PM. We look forward to seeing you there!!

TeamSPF

#19 11 years ago

Looks like Jack has a big booth at the IAAPA show, so I would think he would have a bunch of the WOZ machines to play

http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iaapa/iaapa2012/public/fphtml.aspx

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from NYG:

Looks like Jack has a big booth at the IAAPA show, so I would think he would have a bunch of the WOZ machines to play

Probably some WOZ redemption games too.

LTG

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from NYG:

As noted above, this is a huge show and JJP is rumored to be bringing 8 WOZ! Hopefully a couple of them will make their way the few miles down the road to SPF for the weekend...

#22 11 years ago

Showing 8 WOZ would be a HUGE leap forward. Lets hope. Anyone seen them yet?

#23 11 years ago

My neighbor has a booth at Iaapa and may get me a ticket. I'll be flipping Rudy slippers if I do.

#24 11 years ago

My neighbor has a booth at Iaapa and may get me a ticket. I'll be flipping Ruby slippers if I do. Pics will be a posting.

#25 11 years ago

Rumor is that they sell Friday-only passes for $45, or at least they did last year. Does anyone know anything about this by chance?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Rumor is that they sell Friday-only passes for $45, or at least they did last year. Does anyone know anything about this by chance?

Yeah, they don't advertise this up front but they always have one day passes for a reasonable price for Thursday and Friday.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-stern-and-jersey-jack-to-speak-at-southern-pinball-festival-nov-17th and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.