Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 283 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

freddie.gif
    images-2.jpeg
    images-9.jpeg
    images-11.jpeg
    pict1001.nar.jpg
    114464.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    queen_pinball.jpg
    Unknown.jpeg
    images-22.jpeg
    images-363.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    images-1-508.jpeg
    Queen.jpg
    images-1.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

Davey Crockett was a great american pioneer, but he's outdated, and would make a lousy pinball machine.

That is why stadiums all over the world still play their music and one of the top selling artists today took her name from one of their songs.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Direwolf:

They play Rock You Like a Hurricane at most sporting events too and I don't see people lining up to buy a Scorpions pin.

Hey....there's an idea! Imagine the cool killer art that could be hand with their graphic and damn right creepy early album covers like Virgin Killer.....

#76 10 years ago

The Bio channel today had a 4 hour documentry on the band - 2 on the band and 2 on Freddie alone. Was pretty good - alot of footage I have never seen before. They went a little deeper into the debautchery (sp) of the band in the late 70's and early 80's. Shesh! Sounds like they would have given Motley Crue a run for their money.

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

yup. i had all the albums, sang all the songs, and my kid is clueless :/
    i would do the honorable thing and accept responsibility for that, but instead i fully blame miley cyrus

I showed my kids the I WANT TO TO BREAK FREE video about a year ago - the look on their faces was priceless. We then started to try and explain what Coronation Street was.....

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from dasmb:

Freddie Mercury biopic in the works, so iron is hot. Seriously I would buy a Queen pin and there is plenty of good content to mine here. I actually drove to Pinburgh on a Sheer Heart Attack/Night at the Opera/Day at the Races binge.
    Some songs to consider:
    Seven Seas of Rhye
    Ogre Battle
    Play the Game
    Don't stop me now
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Under Pressure
    Keep Yourself Alive
    Killer Queen

Because of their appeal worldwide, it would probably include many of their later hits from Innuendo, The Miracle, The Works, and A Kind of Magic. Sure that tracks like Another one Bits the Dust would be on, but doubt so many songs from their first few albums would be included.

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

You are probably right.
    Pity though, their best work was their early work when their albums boasted that no synthesisers were used.

Unknown-2.jpeg 9 KB

Unknown.jpeg 12 KB

I respectfully disagree. Their best album is Innuendo, followed by The Works. After the disaster Hot Space tour, Freddie refused to tour America. The band gained the world, but lost the US.

Don't get me wrong - I love Jazz, Sheer Heart Attack, and ANATO as well. Only album I don't own is the first one....just can't get into it.

I visited the UK a few months after Freddie passed away. I'll never forget that as we left Heathrow- there was a large graffiti mural on a public bridge wall that said "Freddie Lives!"....

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I love queen, but....I picture the video for Radio Ga Ga, that ruins it for me. Queen is awesome to listen to, but images are ruined in person. I'd rather be blind to the visuals and listen to the great music. I have to vote thumbs down to Queen. Tho, they are my 5th favorite band.

What's wrong with the Radio GA GA video???

Now if you said I want to Break Free or Bodytalk - i would understand.

3 weeks later
    #164 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

That is bad news. I am going to see it next weekend. I guess the good news is that the music "carries" most musicals. I still love the music after all these years and look forward to hearing: "Somebody to Love, Under Pressure, Seven Seas of Rye and Don't Stop Me Now" sung live.

When I saw the last incarnation of Queen with Paul Rodgers, Under Pressure for some reason was just incredible to hear live...the finale of the song was very moving.

That and Radio Ga Ga.

#177 10 years ago

Everyone is talking of Freddie - which is natural. But don' forget the band had three other great songwriters. And my favorite member has always been and will be Brian May.

"Brain May! Brian May!".....from The Invisible Man

1 year later
    #227 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

This still needs to happen
    queen_pinball.jpg
    Let this guy do the callouts
    » YouTube video

Sounds really good.

#230 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I took a Rolling Stones and modified it. Still, this band has some great classic songs, and I bet they'd be easy to work with for licensing. It would sell like crazy in the UK I'm sure.

It would sell crazy all over the world, except in the USA.

1 week later
    #237 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

I'm with you on the first part of that Methos. "Crazy" is the word. That's why Gary will eventually make a Queen pin.
    Based on combined sales of albums, singles, videos and downloads, Queen are the seventh best-selling musical act worldwide:
    The Beatles (246 million)
    Elvis Presley (191.6 million)
    Michael Jackson (150.8 million)
    Abba (54.5 million)
    Madonna (156.5 million)
    Led Zeppelin (129.9 million)
    Queen (87.3 million)
    A Queen pin is simply a great business proposition (assuming it's well designed & built and plays well) because Queen is still a MASSIVE brand all over the world. A Queen pin has the potential to outsell AC/DC in Europe, will outsell AC/DC in Asia, will sell very well in Australia and New Zealand and Canada (although probably not as well as AC/DC).
    Now, what about the USA? Will it outsell AC/DC in the USA? Probably not, but why wouldn't it sell strongly nevertheless? Strong enough to make a neat profit for Stern?
    "Another One Bites The Dust" is likely to be the best selling physical single ever in the USA by a foreign group. "Bohemian Rhapsody" reached the Billboard's Top 10 twice (in 1976 and 1992). In the digital era (from 2005), Queen have managed five million selling songs, all of which were obviously released in previous decades; apparently no foreign band beats that.
    Queen have sold something like 40,000,0000 albums in the USA.
    Many of those album owners people love pinball.

images-3.jpeg

Think through it...the majority of the planet loves the later material (as do I). In the USA, no one knows Queen existed after Hot Space. I've seen them twice (without Freddie obviously) and it always irked me off that they change their set lists for America so much from the norm....

So is pin is done. Your song and art selection would need to be different.

Looking at your list, all those artists are dead or not performing anymore for a long time, except Madonna. When it is all said and done, I think Freddie was one of the most talented musicians of all time, in terms of performance. My favorite period was the Magic - Innuendo period...they really settled in and made some great music. If only....

#248 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

What a great loss. I cried when he died, and nearly threw up when Queen did their first cash grab and toured with Paul Rodgers. That's like Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant. Disgusting.

I don't believe it was a cash grab, just like the recent tour with Adam. It was all about getting the songs performed again for people (like me) who never saw them live with Freddie. In many of his interviews, he shrugged off the notion of musical integrity, which I get.

#250 8 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Queen is my favorite band. They would be my #1 pick for the next STERN music pin by a mile. Their music is really one of a kind. Entering your initials in with "we are the champions" playing would be sweet. If they do make it I hope "I want to break free" makes the playlist.

See that song right there to many people in the world, means free from oppression, due to back when it was released in 82 or so. MTV banned the video of course because America didn't get the meaning of the video. So would you put that on the pinball? Look at the 85 set list, half of the songs that only Americans know (Fat Bottomed Girls, You're My Best Friend, etc) are not even on the set list, and rightfully so.

I collect vinyl and I have The Game, and everything else from them past The Works. Nothing prior to that. If I want to hear it, I just turn on the radio.

#253 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

John Deacon wasn't even there. You had half of Queen...not even close to the same thing. Deacon was the only one with enough sense to know when to quit. If you want to see the real Queen just watch a video of their concerts with freddie and turn the volume way up.

That is your opinion, and you are welcomed to it. I disagree.

Deacon retired. Yes, I wish he was there, but has had some issues on his own. All I know is I loved seeing Roger and Brian - both times and believed that Freddie would have wanted it. After all, The Show Must Go On right?

#259 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I have a question about Queen and this is just a curiosity. Were they all gay or was it just Freddie. He was rather flamboyant for the times. I don't know much of their history

Technically he was bi-sexual. And I don't believe the "Americans couldn't handle a queer/red states" theories. Cue Elton John and many others.

Freddie didn't want to go back to the US unless they had a #1 album, and their record company dropped marketing resources. So that is the story. He never really came out on his sexuality, that was released far later. In fact he only disclosed he had aids the day before he died. He was a very private person and the band stopped touring after 86 anyway. I'm sure they would have toured again at some point, but he was a big drinker as well and in the end, stopped taking his medication to hasten his death. What he did do, is literally record until he was unable to. He kept going when most people would have retired with the news. Because of his decision, we have the albums of The Miracle, Innuendo, and Made in Heaven. It's a pity we don't have a bit more - for their songwriting really reached new levels after 87.

Innuendo itself is a masterpiece. Before he recorded THE SHOW MUST GO ON, May gave the song to him and they obviously knew what the lyrics were about. Freddie slammed down a large vodka on the rocks, and said something to the effect of "Let's do this f#$%^ing thing" The one thing he didn't have time to do was film a video for the song which is a big loss to the world.

One thing nobody can ever take away from his legacy is on every song - he gave it everything he had. Even the ones he didn't write or like.

#263 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Methos that is very very interesting and I had no idea. It sounds like he was a very interesting and complex person as well as a talented person. Thanks for the education. The world lost a great talent when he died. If done right queen pin could be pretty great. If stern didn't cheap out as they often do. It would have to be something unique and awesome not the same shit with different packaging

That was probably a bit too much info.

Like everyone else, I knew the old stuff. I went over to the UK in 92, the year after he died. As I left Gatwick airport, I remember seeing "Freddie Lives" spay painted on an interstate wall. I thought it was interesting. The whole country was in mourning, and my uncle one night over many pints, played a few Queen videos for me. I asked for BICYCLE RACE. He laughed and said it was rubbish and put on WANT TO BREAK FREE, and some live material from The Works. I never heard that music before..and I was into metal and classic rock and roll. Something about their delivery and Freddie's performance felt more real and genuine than anything else I had seen...I was hooked.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-heres-why-queen-should-be-a-stern-music-pin?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.