6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 283 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 83 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

freddie.gif
    images-2.jpeg
    images-9.jpeg
    images-11.jpeg
    pict1001.nar.jpg
    114464.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    queen_pinball.jpg
    Unknown.jpeg
    images-22.jpeg
    images-363.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    images-1-508.jpeg
    Queen.jpg
    images-1.jpeg

There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I was being sarcastic

Yes, I picked that up mcclad.

Whether I'm obsessed or not (BTW I'm not), the fact is Queen (as you say) is one of the greatest bands ever.

What I do love is MUSIC PINS.

All I want to do is encourage Stern to build more.
    I am appealing to Gary Stern's business sense, because this pinnie will make his company mega-bucks!

images-1-508.jpeg
    #202 6 years ago

When I was a teen I listened to Queen, but lately I just go with the flow.

#203 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When I was a teen I listened to Queen, but lately I just go with the flow.
    » YouTube video

Top song O-din. You da man.

AussiePinWiz, honestly ... I've never seen a man beat a subject to death so much.

Go have a XXXX / VB / Hahn / Tooheys and give it a rest.

It ain't gonna happen. Ever. Unless you make one yourself.

Get to it champ. Show the world how it's done.

rd.

#204 6 years ago

No, U da MAN!

#205 6 years ago

Don't worry Aussiepinwiz, I'm still on board with making a Queen pinball. I'll even let you have LE #1, and I will have LE #2.

I can understand why people are hesitant about a Queen pin, they just don't understand the international appeal. Most Americans just think of them as one notch above any old generic classic rock band. This is not the case in the rest of the world, where they consistently ranked just below the Beatles in popularity. There has been a lot of great ideas tossed around which music pins pinsiders would like to see made. But I truly believe in Europe, a Queen pinball would out sell Metallica, Rolling Stones, maybe even Ac/dc. If I remember correctly, some American pinsiders got screwed and didn't get their Metallica LE's because their machines got exported overseas. Well, there are plenty of European Queen fans with big bucks that would create the same LE shortage problems if a Queen machine were ever made.

In any case, I hope Stern or other manufacturers consider creating more music pins in the future too.

#206 6 years ago

I think queen could be cool actually.

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from NeedMorePins:

Don't worry Aussiepinwiz, I'm still on board with making a Queen pinball. I'll even let you have LE #1, and I will have LE #2.
    I can understand why people are hesitant about a Queen pin, they just don't understand the international appeal. Most Americans just think of them as one notch above any old generic classic rock band. This is not the case in the rest of the world, where they consistently ranked just below the Beatles in popularity. There has been a lot of great ideas tossed around which music pins pinsiders would like to see made. But I truly believe in Europe, a Queen pinball would out sell Metallica, Rolling Stones, maybe even Ac/dc. If I remember correctly, some American pinsiders got screwed and didn't get their Metallica LE's because their machines got exported overseas. Well, there are plenty of European Queen fans with big bucks that would create the same LE shortage problems if a Queen machine were ever made.
    In any case, I hope Stern or other manufacturers consider creating more music pins in the future too.

You are very kind with your LE number allocation!

We don't need to worry about those who don't get the idea of a Queen pin. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if we agreed with them we would all be wrong. We just need to persuade Gary. '

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Queen will be a massive seller for Stern. Healthy sales in the USA, and huge sales in Europe and South East Asia/Australia/New Zealand. Europe, in particular, is where Stern want to increase their market, and this pinnie will do it for them. Unlike some Pinsiders Gary Stern is very much globally focussed (as well as making smart USA market decisions: Mustang as a recent example). Queen LEs will definitely sell faster than Metallica LEs. And yes, if the game play is amazing, it might even do better than AC/DC.

Quoted from coasterguy:

I think queen could be cool actually.

Yes! A cool game with pipping hot sales!

images-2.jpeg
    #208 6 years ago

Flash Gordon & Highlander theme songs. Plus so many iconic songs - Freddie Mercury was super talented. Not sure how this would translate to a pin but the music rocks.

#209 6 years ago

A Highlander pin with some Queen music would have been cool, but again it is now 20 years too late.

#210 6 years ago

I was on the fence about the whole Queen pin thing until this:

#t=59

The jump to hyperspace made me spit my Baileys this morning.

#211 6 years ago

I would love to see a Queen music pinball machine, especially a new Flash Gordon game with Queen music

1 week later
    #212 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I was on the fence about the whole Queen pin thing until this:
    » YouTube video
    The jump to hyperspace made me spit my Baileys this morning.

Nice one! So many Queen songs are used in popular culture.

The latest is now being used to promote a new movie that's about to hit the cinema screens (and it's not even on the movie's soundtrack!):

http://www.baeblemusic.com/musicblog/11-26-2013/Latest-Secret-Life-Of-Walter-Mitty-Trailer-Features-Queen.html

Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I would love to see a Queen music pinball machine, especially a new Flash Gordon game with Queen music

I think we have enough takers from Pinside for a Queen pin.
    Lots of us would love to see a Queen pin.

The big question: is Gary convinced it will be a good seller for him?

images-363.jpeg
    #213 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

The big question: is Gary convinced it will be a good seller for him?

You know what? If Gary does not care, there are other options: Plenty of new manufacturers (or would-be manufacturers, until proved otherwise). One of them may love Queen...

#214 6 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

You know what? If Gary does not care, there are other options: Plenty of new manufacturers (or would-be manufacturers, until proved otherwise). One of them may love Queen...

So true. You may be right.

I've directed this thread to Gary, because Stern is the company most likely to deliver and seize the opportunity for some handy revenue. Gary is not emotionally caught up with his machines (like many Pinsiders ), he's a good salesman and an astute businessman, but any pinball manufacturing company is welcome to seize the opportunity if Stern don't want it.

images-22.jpeg
    #215 6 years ago

Geez pinwiz let it die already, stern aint gunna make this queen pinball for you and a couple of your mates. Im sick of seeing this thread bumped only by you everyday when I come here to check for a metallica update. If stern made this it would be lucky to sell 100 units.

#216 6 years ago

He's being respectful, civil and persistent, let him have his fun. No different than MET or Tron or MM or...........threads that have thousands of posts..

#217 6 years ago

Watch this and not be amazed. I dare you.

#218 6 years ago

Queen was just an OK band for me, never really got into them (but I can see how others like them). Does their music stand the test of time? Some of it. Some teenagers might know a Doors or Hendrix tune--I doubt most even know who Queen is (was). Queen died when Freddie checked out, regardless of what the band thinks. Rock pins have been done to death, how about something else?

#219 6 years ago

I would like to see some variety in themes again, before they go back to making "RockBand" pins. I love my ACDC premium, but I don't want to Stern to fall back on rock band themes for pins. Keep the variety going. I've seen a few people already doggin Stern for making their next pin...celebrating 50 years of the Mustang, but I like the idea of the variety.

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Watch this and not be amazed. I dare you.
    » YouTube video

Thanks for the dare. I love Queen so you didn't have to twist my arm all that much. That footage is amazing! Too bad they are performing my least favourite song, but what a show stopping band they were!

When do people think a Queen pin will be built?

If it is based around their best and most famous songs it's sure to have wide appeal!
    I'll buy one!

Quoted from Billy16:

Queen was just an OK band for me, never really got into them (but I can see how others like them). Does their music stand the test of time? Some of it. Some teenagers might know a Doors or Hendrix tune--I doubt most even know who Queen is (was). Queen died when Freddie checked out, regardless of what the band thinks. Rock pins have been done to death, how about something else?

I'd love to see lots of music pins, including rock.
    But what type of non-rock pins do you think would sell?

By the way, more teens know more Queen songs compared to the number of Metallica & ACDC songs they know!
    Check out the rest of the posts in this thread that put forward a sound argument for how popular Queen is across the age ranges. Since Freddie checked out several Queen songs have become an embedded part of modern culture.

#221 6 years ago
    Quoted from BlackWidow:

I'd love to see lots of music pins, including rock.
    But what type of non-rock pins do you think would sell?
    By the way, more teens know more Queen songs compared to the number of Metallica & ACDC songs they know!
    Check out the rest of the posts in this thread that put forward a sound argument for how popular Queen is across the age ranges. Since Freddie checked out several Queen songs have become an embedded part of modern culture.

I was referring to original themed pins--not a different genre of music. I'm not sure AC/DC can be topped.

As far as popularity, I've never had a request for Queen or Metallica at any classic rock gig I've played. Doors, Beatles, Hendrix, Sublime, Petty, Steve Miller, Stones, Santana--those bands all bridge the generation gap. Queen and Metallica, not as much in my experience.

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I was referring to original themed pins--not a different genre of music. I'm not sure AC/DC can be topped.
    As far as popularity, I've never had a request for Queen or Metallica at any classic rock gig I've played. Doors, Beatles, Hendrix, Sublime, Petty, Steve Miller, Stones, Santana--those bands all bridge the generation gap. Queen and Metallica, not as much in my experience.

It will certainly be hard to top ACDC!

Beatles! Now that's an interesting one. Arguably the greatest, most influential rock band ever. That would be another great pin title! I'd buy Beatles and Queen! Great music, plenty of music variety, and great pin action, beats movie themes and cars for me!

Unknown.jpeg
    #223 6 years ago

Shows I went to bump for the Aussie

Sheer Heart Attack Tour Saturday Feburary 08, 1975 - 3rd row center Music Hall, Cleveland, Ohio w/ Kansas
    Night At The Opera Tour Saturday Feburary 14, 1976 - 6th row center Public Hall, Cleveland, Ohio
    Queen/Lizzy Tour Sunday, January 23, 1977 - Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio w/ Thin Lizzy
    News Of The World Tour Sunday, November 27, 1977 - Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio
    Jazz Tour Saturday, November 25, 1978 - Coliseum, Richfield, Ohio

Could not locate my '74 ticket stub, bummer.

#224 6 years ago

Thinking about it...Could actually be fun with some choice tunes.

We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions
    Play The Game
    Dragon Attack
    Another One Bites The Dust
    Fat Bottomed Girls
    Flash
    Under Pressure
    Tie Your Mother Down
    Bohemian Rhapsody

Work out the modes with the music it could be killer.

1 year later
    #225 4 years ago

This still needs to happen
    queen_pinball.jpg

Let this guy do the callouts

#226 4 years ago

This is my favorit queen song.

I love queen, but i am not sure it is a good theme for pinball.

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

queen_pinball.jpg
    Let this guy do the callouts
    » YouTube video

Sounds really good.

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

queen_pinball.jpg(Click image to enlarge)

Wow!
    Nice work Toyotaboy!

Great back glass option for the LE version.
    Terrific playfield detail.

images-3.jpeg

#229 4 years ago

Terrific playfield detail.

I took a rolling stones and modified it. Still, this band has some great classic songs, and I bet they'd be easy to work with for licensing. It would sell like crazy in the UK I'm sure.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I took a Rolling Stones and modified it. Still, this band has some great classic songs, and I bet they'd be easy to work with for licensing. It would sell like crazy in the UK I'm sure.

It would sell crazy all over the world, except in the USA.

#231 4 years ago

Queen has Killer Queen Vodka, and Bohemian Lager, they need a pinball machine to go along with them to play while drinking them.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Like their album sales in the 80s and early 90s. Sad.

Queen is my favorite band and has been for 23-24 years. If a pin came out I would feel id have to get one so long as it's not as bad as The Rolling Stones one!

#233 4 years ago

Queen was a little before my time, but they sound great and I've learned to really appreciate their music. I have been to a few Killers shows though and it's pretty obvious Brandon Flowers must have been a Freddy Mercury fan. Both great front men and they even resemble each other a bit.

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I'm with you on the first part of that Methos. "Crazy" is the word. That's why Gary will eventually make a Queen pin.

Based on combined sales of albums, singles, videos and downloads, Queen are the seventh best-selling musical act worldwide:
    The Beatles (246 million)
    Elvis Presley (191.6 million)
    Michael Jackson (150.8 million)
    Abba (54.5 million)
    Madonna (156.5 million)
    Led Zeppelin (129.9 million)
    Queen (87.3 million)

A Queen pin is simply a great business proposition (assuming it's well designed & built and plays well) because Queen is still a MASSIVE brand all over the world. A Queen pin has the potential to outsell AC/DC in Europe, will outsell AC/DC in Asia, will sell very well in Australia and New Zealand and Canada (although probably not as well as AC/DC).

Now, what about the USA? Will it outsell AC/DC in the USA? Probably not, but why wouldn't it sell strongly nevertheless? Strong enough to make a neat profit for Stern?

"Another One Bites The Dust" is likely to be the best selling physical single ever in the USA by a foreign group. "Bohemian Rhapsody" reached the Billboard's Top 10 twice (in 1976 and 1992). In the digital era (from 2005), Queen have managed five million selling songs, all of which were obviously released in previous decades; apparently no foreign band beats that.

Queen have sold something like 40,000,0000 albums in the USA.
    Many of those album owners people love pinball.

images-3.jpeg

#236 4 years ago

I still would love to have a Queen pin in my collection. Hopefully a pinball manufacturer would at least consider it when brainstorming ideas about new music themed machines.

#237 4 years ago

I'm with you on the first part of that Methos. "Crazy" is the word. That's why Gary will eventually make a Queen pin.
    Based on combined sales of albums, singles, videos and downloads, Queen are the seventh best-selling musical act worldwide:
    The Beatles (246 million)
    Elvis Presley (191.6 million)
    Michael Jackson (150.8 million)
    Abba (54.5 million)
    Madonna (156.5 million)
    Led Zeppelin (129.9 million)
    Queen (87.3 million)
    A Queen pin is simply a great business proposition (assuming it's well designed & built and plays well) because Queen is still a MASSIVE brand all over the world. A Queen pin has the potential to outsell AC/DC in Europe, will outsell AC/DC in Asia, will sell very well in Australia and New Zealand and Canada (although probably not as well as AC/DC).
    Now, what about the USA? Will it outsell AC/DC in the USA? Probably not, but why wouldn't it sell strongly nevertheless? Strong enough to make a neat profit for Stern?
    "Another One Bites The Dust" is likely to be the best selling physical single ever in the USA by a foreign group. "Bohemian Rhapsody" reached the Billboard's Top 10 twice (in 1976 and 1992). In the digital era (from 2005), Queen have managed five million selling songs, all of which were obviously released in previous decades; apparently no foreign band beats that.
    Queen have sold something like 40,000,0000 albums in the USA.
    Many of those album owners people love pinball.

images-3.jpeg

Think through it...the majority of the planet loves the later material (as do I). In the USA, no one knows Queen existed after Hot Space. I've seen them twice (without Freddie obviously) and it always irked me off that they change their set lists for America so much from the norm....

So is pin is done. Your song and art selection would need to be different.

Looking at your list, all those artists are dead or not performing anymore for a long time, except Madonna. When it is all said and done, I think Freddie was one of the most talented musicians of all time, in terms of performance. My favorite period was the Magic - Innuendo period...they really settled in and made some great music. If only....

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Think through it...the majority of the planet loves the later material (as do I). In the USA, no one knows Queen existed after Hot Space. I've seen them twice (without Freddie obviously) and it always irked me off that they change their set lists for America so much from the norm....
    Looking at your list, all those artists are dead or not performing anymore for a long time, except Madonna. When it is all said and done, I think Freddie was one of the most talented musicians of all time, in terms of performance. My favorite period was the Magic - Innuendo period...they really settled in and made some great music. If only....

I know they existed after Hot Space...in fact, I grabbed Freddie's arm during the Hot Space tour. Spent the whole concert leaning on the front of the stage. I'm such a fan I went to Montreaux just to see his statue and see where Mountain Studios was.

As to the Innuendo album, I remember hearing the first track on that album (Innuendo), and when Freddie's voice went all the way up on "till the end of time!", I couldn't believe his voice was back. He'd been struggling in years past. Who knew then that it was because his voice had changed due to his illness.

What a great loss. I cried when he died, and nearly threw up when Queen did their first cash grab and toured with Paul Rodgers. That's like Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant. Disgusting.

But I'm really not sure a Queen pin would work, quite frankly. But man, I'd sure love to see that giant Queen crest right in the middle of my playfield!

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

When I was a Freshman in high school I liked Queen and someone told me " they suck because they are gay and that is why they don't tour in America much". I had no opinions on homosexuality at the time as I never though about it but I stopped listening to them. I regret that because I love their music now and I think Freddie was a incredibly talented guy regardless of my opinion homosexuality. I don't support the act or the lifestyle but that shouldn't take away from appreciating his music.
    I say this because I believe that Freddie being gay is the reason they weren't as popular in America and the reason they changed their lineup. I could be wrong. One thing though, Freddy Mercury did not flaunt his lifestyle. He lived his life and did what he did and while he didn't hide it he was just Freddie. The same goes for Elton John.

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

When I was a Freshman in high school I liked Queen and someone told me " they suck because they are gay and that is why they don't tour in America much". I had no opinions on homosexuality at the time as I never though about it but I stopped listening to them. I regret that because I love their music now and I think Freddie was a incredibly talented guy regardless of my opinion homosexuality. I don't support the act or the lifestyle but that shouldn't take away from appreciating his music.
    I say this because I believe that Freddie being gay is the reason they weren't as popular in America and the reason they changed their lineup. I could be wrong. One thing though, FREDDY Mercury did not flaunt his lifestyle. He lived his life and did what he did and while he didn't hide it he was just Freddie. The same goes for Elton John.

He'd do well today, though. Seems everything in America is unicorns and rainbows shooting out of everybody's ass.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

#241 4 years ago

No matter which band Stern picks, its important not to alienate the subset of guys who like the music but do not want to see the shirtless, sweaty band members plastered all over the translite and playfield. One version (usually a premium) should have beautiful images ( hand drawn fat bottomed girls) or whatever. Think AC/DC Luci.

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

regardless of my opinion homosexuality. I don't support the act or the lifestyle but that shouldn't take away from appreciating his music.

I totally support homosexual lifestyles.

Skip the hate, love everybody - it simply makes life better.

114464.jpg

#243 4 years ago

Brian May is a pinball fan too. Watch the video for One Vision and you will see him playing a Harlem Globetrotters machine in the studio. There was also another behind the scenes video at the 86 Wembley concerts where a pin in backstage and Brian is playing it. I bet he'd love a Queen pin. Just no Adam Lambert anywhere please!!!

#244 4 years ago

Queen is my favorite band. They would be my #1 pick for the next STERN music pin by a mile. Their music is really one of a kind. Entering your initials in with "we are the champions" playing would be sweet. If they do make it I hope "I want to break free" makes the playlist.

#245 4 years ago

I would like to see Fat Bottom Girls multiball. They could have a big assed woman that you hit her in the butt with pinballs.

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I would like to see Fat Bottom Girls multiball. They could have a big assed woman that you hit her in the butt with pinballs.

The ultimate bash toy.

Pinball needs more Butt Bashing.

#247 4 years ago

oh man, there is some funny shit in this thread. As much as I love Queen. I really don't think it transfers well to pinball. Just because you love the music doesn't automatically mean it translates well into a machine. Theme and music matters 3rd in the list of important things that make a great game. Rules come first. Layout comes second. Art , theme and sound comes 3rd. or tied for 3rd. A horrible theme can shine bright if the rules and layout prevail. But an awesome theme, regardless... will not thrive if 1 and 2 are lacking.

#248 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

What a great loss. I cried when he died, and nearly threw up when Queen did their first cash grab and toured with Paul Rodgers. That's like Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant. Disgusting.

I don't believe it was a cash grab, just like the recent tour with Adam. It was all about getting the songs performed again for people (like me) who never saw them live with Freddie. In many of his interviews, he shrugged off the notion of musical integrity, which I get.

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sgtmax:

Dude no 15 year olds listen to queen.. What are you thinking lol

i do .....

#250 4 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Queen is my favorite band. They would be my #1 pick for the next STERN music pin by a mile. Their music is really one of a kind. Entering your initials in with "we are the champions" playing would be sweet. If they do make it I hope "I want to break free" makes the playlist.

See that song right there to many people in the world, means free from oppression, due to back when it was released in 82 or so. MTV banned the video of course because America didn't get the meaning of the video. So would you put that on the pinball? Look at the 85 set list, half of the songs that only Americans know (Fat Bottomed Girls, You're My Best Friend, etc) are not even on the set list, and rightfully so.

I collect vinyl and I have The Game, and everything else from them past The Works. Nothing prior to that. If I want to hear it, I just turn on the radio.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 88.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 163.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside