Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 283 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

freddie.gif
    images-2.jpeg
    images-9.jpeg
    images-11.jpeg
    pict1001.nar.jpg
    114464.jpg
    images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    queen_pinball.jpg
    Unknown.jpeg
    images-22.jpeg
    images-363.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    images-1-508.jpeg
    Queen.jpg
    images-1.jpeg
    There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 10 years ago

Agreed greenmeerkat, I've seen about 450 - 500 bands/400-450 shows and Freddie is by far the greatest lead singer there ever was. Once he stepped on stage he commanded the audience, you were in his grip and everyone loved him/sang every song with him. What a powerful voice and a range that no one could match. Did get to see Queen in the early years 6 times, awesome. I like Paul Rogers, but just did not cut it for me when they did a tour a few years back.
    RIP Freddie.
    Hope they don't make a Queen pin, or any of my favorite bands as to me it would be like how the radio ruins songs, by playing them over and over and over and over and over and over.,..............
    Quit listening to radio about 20 years ago because of this.

#152 10 years ago

Agreed greenmeerkat, I've seen about 450 - 500 bands/400-450 shows and Freddie is by far the greatest lead singer there ever was. Once he stepped on stage he commanded the audience, you were in his grip and everyone loved him/sang every song with him. What a powerful voice and a range that no one could match. I like Paul Rogers, but just did not cut it for me when they did a tour a few years back.
    RIP Freddie.
    Hope they don't make a Queen pin, or any of my favorite bands as to me it would be like how the radio ruins songs, by playing them over and over and over and over and over and over.,..............

#153 10 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

So, just to get it straight, would you prefer for Stern to make music pins of bands that are not your favourites, and play songs that you don't like, over and over and over again?

I agree with you, however, that Freddie was the greatest lead singer in rock band, ever (or close to that anyway).

Unknown-217.jpegUnknown-217.jpeg
    #154 10 years ago

I like AC/DC pin because they are a b band to me, not sure if it would get old after a month or so. Did not like Metalica, after 2 days of playing one, I couldn't stand the music anymore, think there are a c band at best. I would probably prefer Stern not make any music pins, none have been that great, cept AC/DC.
    Elvis, ok pin
    Rolling Stones, never played one, have not heard any good things about it
    Metalica, blah

Others:
    Monster Bash, very good
    Tommy, decent
    Guns and Roses, very good
    Als Garage Band Goes on a World Tour, decent

Heavy Metal Meltdown, ok
    Rock and Encore, ok
    Disco Fever, blah terrible
    Rolling Stones Bally, never played one
    Dolly Parton, never played one, not for me

So out of 13 music pins, I like 3, just talking sound here.

Might have missed a few, what's that cocktail pin?

just my opinion, Bob

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

just my opinion, Bob

Well done Bob. Thanks for sharing it.

By the way, ACDC doesn't get old after a month or two. It's an incredible machine. Everyone I know prefers to play it over anything else.

I think that will be the case until a QUEEN Pin arrives!

Unknown-5-189.jpegUnknown-5-189.jpeg
    1 week later
    #156 10 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

I like AC/DC pin because they are a b band to me, not sure if it would get old after a month or so. Did not like Metalica, after 2 days of playing one, I couldn't stand the music anymore, think there are a c band at best. I would probably prefer Stern not make any music pins, none have been that great, cept AC/DC.
    Elvis, ok pin
    Rolling Stones, never played one, have not heard any good things about it
    Metalica, blah
    Others:
    Monster Bash, very good
    Tommy, decent
    Guns and Roses, very good
    Als Garage Band Goes on a World Tour, decent
    Heavy Metal Meltdown, ok
    Rock and Encore, ok
    Disco Fever, blah terrible
    Rolling Stones Bally, never played one
    Dolly Parton, never played one, not for me
    So out of 13 music pins, I like 3, just talking sound here.
    Might have missed a few, what's that cocktail pin?
    just my opinion, Bob

the Rolling Stones pin was really bad. only slightly entertaining part was whacking mick with the ball.

#157 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

That is bad news. I am going to see it next weekend. I guess the good news is that the music "carries" most musicals. I still love the music after all these years and look forward to hearing: "Somebody to Love, Under Pressure, Seven Seas of Rye and Don't Stop Me Now" sung live.

Well, of course some people enjoy it. The crowd gets into it. The storyline is fairly weak. It has some funny moments and the singing is great. The actors don't have a whole lot of charisma, although one of the supporting characters - the other principal male character I guess you'd say - was a fairly amazing dancer. I hope you enjoy it!

#158 10 years ago

I'm traveling through south east Asia this week.
    Not many pinball machines in view, but there are many Queen appreciators here.

Are you taking note Garry?

#159 10 years ago

Hi Garry,
    I'm leaving to go back home. I'm sitting in the Singapore airport. Not a Pinball Machine in sight over the last 3 days. Something like QUEEN, a group they still love here, may open up a new market for you!

#160 10 years ago

Asian Queen... let the demand begin...

queen-asian.jpgqueen-asian.jpg

#161 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Hi Garry,
    I'm leaving to go back home. I'm sitting in the Singapore airport. Not a Pinball Machine in sight over the last 3 days. Something like QUEEN, a group they still love here, may open up a new market for you!

There are a few Pins in Singapore - I added two locations on the map last January...
    nothing really exciting though.

I actually emailed the stern local reseller to know where to play !

#162 10 years ago

How about a Highlander pin with Queen music, that I'd go for!

#163 10 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

How about a Highlander pin with Queen music, that I'd go for!

Now that's an interesting angle!

Unknown-5-573.jpegUnknown-5-573.jpeg
    #164 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

That is bad news. I am going to see it next weekend. I guess the good news is that the music "carries" most musicals. I still love the music after all these years and look forward to hearing: "Somebody to Love, Under Pressure, Seven Seas of Rye and Don't Stop Me Now" sung live.

When I saw the last incarnation of Queen with Paul Rodgers, Under Pressure for some reason was just incredible to hear live...the finale of the song was very moving.

That and Radio Ga Ga.

#165 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

When I saw the last incarnation of Queen with Paul Rodgers, Under Pressure for some reason was just incredible to hear live...the finale of the song was very moving.
    That and Radio Ga Ga.

Queen has some incredible music, but a pin based on Queen wouldn't be much fun, drop targets for his teeth? I mean come on...

But, a highlander pin, now that's something I think could do well. I think a lot of pinheads live he original movie and the tv series wasn't bad either. Maybe leave out highlander 2 though...

#166 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sgtmax:

Dude no 15 year olds listen to queen.. What are you thinking lol

No 15 year olds buy pins! unless its iPad pinball arcade!!

#167 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

the finale of the song was very moving.

That and Radio Ga Ga.

Radio GaGa artwork for the Premium model?

images-10.jpegimages-10.jpeg
    #168 10 years ago

More ideas for my Queen dream pin:

"Save Me" pall saver post

Maybe the Queen crest logo on the playfield and/or a Brian May Red Special guitar on the playfield that points towards a ramp or orbit. The frets could have lighted led inserts or something.

The 70's Queen fans would cry but probably the most popular Premium or LE model would be artwork from the 1986 Magic Tour.

#169 10 years ago
    Quoted from NeedMorePins:

The 70's Queen fans would cry but probably the most popular Premium or LE model would be artwork from the 1986 Magic Tour.

Yes, but what a tour it was!

images-13.jpegimages-13.jpeg images-12.jpegimages-12.jpeg images-3.jpegimages-3.jpeg images-10-744.jpegimages-10-744.jpeg images-11.jpegimages-11.jpeg
    #170 10 years ago

Dear Queen loving Pinsiders
    Let's give Gary Stern reasons why he should build a Queen Pin for us.
    Can we come up with 50 reasons? More?
    I'll start off with 5 reasons
    1. 15 and 55 year old people listen to Queen music
    2. You will expand your market in Europe
    3. Australians will buy as many Queen machines as we bought ACDC
    4. The Brits will love you
    5. It will be a massive seller for Stern, and just as importantly, introduce new people to pinball
    Who will post reason no. 6?

6. Fat Bottom Girls Screaming out of Pinball Machine = Awesome!

#171 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

6. Fat Bottom Girls Screaming out of Pinball Machine = Awesome!

It'd have to be the pro version!

BTW, thanks for the reason which you numbered No. 6, however, even though other reasons aren't numbered above we're up to the 20s for good reasons why Gary Stern should build a Queen pin!

Are you listening Gary?

Queen fans, keep the reasons coming!

images-10-381.jpegimages-10-381.jpeg images-3-915.jpegimages-3-915.jpeg
    #172 10 years ago

Last chance FTW.

#173 10 years ago
    Quoted from conserx:

I'd say a Queen pinball wouldn't even sell as many units as Rolling Stones did & how many was that?

The Rolling Stones pin not selling had little to do with the band and everything to do with crap artwork cheap toy, weak ruleset poor pin selling market compared to now...and so on.

#174 10 years ago

Ok, how about Elvis...

#175 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sgtmax:

Wrong. My 18yo daughter and my 14yo son love Queen. Freddy Mercury had incredible fucking talent. Of all the frontmen out there I have to say he had one of the best voices out there. Its a damn shame he died a early and tragic death.

#176 10 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Ok, how about Elvis...

An Elvis pin?
    Yep! Queen in 2015, then Michael Jackson in 2016 & then Elvis, but not until 2027 (50th Anniversary since his death).
    All legends.
    All will be big sellers.
    However, Stern & Steve Ritchie built one in 2004. Not sure they would build another Elvis this decade.

But right now, and given the strong interest in Queen music & shows world-wide, and the fact that Stern's last two music pins have been great hits, let's champion the cause of "The Champions, My Friends, 'Cause We'll Keep on Fighting 'Til the End …"

elvis_main.jpgelvis_main.jpg images-6.jpegimages-6.jpeg
    #177 10 years ago

Everyone is talking of Freddie - which is natural. But don' forget the band had three other great songwriters. And my favorite member has always been and will be Brian May.

"Brain May! Brian May!".....from The Invisible Man

#178 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Everyone is talking of Freddie - which is natural. But don' forget the band had three other great songwriters. And my favorite member has always been and will be Brian May.

The Brian May Special Edition Premium Pin?

Perhaps more likely is the Brian May Guitar Riff Mode!

Unknown-7.jpegUnknown-7.jpeg images-3-465.jpegimages-3-465.jpeg Unknown-6-276.jpegUnknown-6-276.jpeg
    #179 10 years ago

Brian and his dad made that guitar from some special wood and he plays with a sixpence. Methos is right, they are all Great Musicians.

#180 10 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

Brian and his dad made that guitar from some special wood and he plays with a sixpence. Methos is right, they are all Great Musicians.

All four were amazing.

That's why their music lives on, in movies, on the radio, on screen, and played in sporting fields around the world, with stage shows produced, and immortal images are displayed in print and electronic media, with fans span the ages of 12-70 years of age!

They were the complete band, and still are.

Just one thing missing!
    A pinnie crafted in their images, dedicated to their legacy, sold in huge numbers, and played by young and old alike.

images-8.jpegimages-8.jpeg
    #181 10 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

Freddie is by far the greatest lead singer there ever was. Once he stepped on stage he commanded the audience, you were in his grip and everyone loved him/sang every song with him. What a powerful voice and a range that no one could match.

That's one of the great things about Queen. Everyone singing along when Queen is played: concerts, footy games, social occasions, car radios, backyard barbecues … That's why this pinnie will draw crowds and be very popular, in homes and arcades, with young and old alike.

Wayne's World brilliantly captured the Queen allure:

images-3.jpegimages-3.jpeg Unknown-6-191.jpegUnknown-6-191.jpeg images-6.jpegimages-6.jpeg
    #182 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Sgtmax said:

No 15 year olds buy pins! unless its iPad pinball arcade!!

Do you guys know any 15 year olds?

I do. They love Queen, so do 55 year olds.
    Gary Stern will translate that into cash for his business.

The fact is, whether you or I like a band, or not, is irrelevant.
    Gary will build pinnies that will sell in large, large numbers.

In Queen he has a great chance to lift profits, and push back Peak Pinball (see another thread: Peak OIl! Peak Pinball?) for a few more years.

images-7.jpegimages-7.jpeg
    #183 10 years ago

Do you guys know any 15 year olds?

Yes, I have one for a daughter, and neither of us is living in the past musicwise anymore.

#184 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes, I have one for a daughter, and neither of us is living in the past musicwise anymore.

Pity because my daughter and I love old ACDC music, and that's turned up to be a big seller for Stern!

She also knows many of the Queen song words and sings along to them with her friends.

Unknown.jpegUnknown.jpeg
    #185 10 years ago

Gary! You know Italy is a major market for Stern. You sell very well there. You love the Italians.

Queen is also very popular in Italy.

Please produce a Queen pin and increase your market and make some handsome profits, not just in Italy but world-wide!

See more on http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-archive/italian-fan-club-convention-november-23rd/

original_resize_720_360.jpgoriginal_resize_720_360.jpg
    #186 10 years ago

How about a Wayne's World pin with Queen????

#187 10 years ago

+1
    --stay current--

evolve like video games have from the 80's. music themes need be current.
    in 1979 kiss was made, not a pin with a music theme 40 years prior.
    "15 year olds" may not buy NEW machines , but operators do and if will make money on location with a new music theme for the majority audience of younger patrons, they will sell.

sure, there are some teens who listen to classic rock, but its very very far and between. the majority of them listen to whats out now and hot on the charts and youtube. And that's pop/ or crossover rap.
    Been that way for many many years regardless of race, location or income level.
    being in the music business worldwide for the 12-34 demo, , my information is proven valid.

""really want to get the young 'uns into pinball by use of a music theme? try some hip hop stuff or dubstep... that's what they listen to, not bands that middle aged guys remember from the days back when we were young and dumb and full of, ummm, well, ya know.."""

#188 10 years ago

Great band and good music but lousy pin theme IMHO.

#189 10 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

not a pin with a music theme 40 years prior.
    "15 year olds" may not buy NEW machines , but operators do and if will make money on location with a new music theme for the majority audience of younger patrons, they will sell.

So, just to be clear, Stern made a mistake by building the ACDC pinnie because the band is a bunch of old dudes, that middle aged guys remember, playing music from last century, and therefore such a machine couldn't be expected to sell well?

Quoted from silver_spinner:

not bands that middle aged guys remember from the days back when we were young and dumb and full of, ummm, well, ya know.."""

Have I understood your point right?

Unknown.jpegUnknown.jpeg images-7-920.jpegimages-7-920.jpeg
    1 week later
    #190 10 years ago

TOPIC POLL
    Poll: What Will Be The Next Genre Of Game Stern Releases?
    Television Themed Pin : (25 votes)
    8 %
    Comic Super Hero Pin : (24 votes)
    8 %
    Action Movie Based Pin : (30 votes)
    10 %
    Cartoon Based Pin : (12 votes)
    4 %
    Zombie Theme Pin : (121 votes)
    39 %
    Music Pin - Rock and Roll : (54 votes)
    18 %
    Music Pin - Not Rock and Roll (MJ perhaps) : (6 votes)
    2 %
    R rated adult themed pin : (19 votes)
    6 %
    Pin targeting children like Angry Birds or a video game theme : (16 votes)
    5 %
    307 Votes

Music pins are the second most popular on the above poll in another Pinside thread.
    Yet another good reason for Gary to build us a QUEEN MACHINE.

images-5.jpegimages-5.jpeg
    #191 10 years ago

For a band themed pin, given the music diversity, I would love a Queen pin if done right. I still think he is the greatest voice in music.

#192 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

For a band themed pin, given the music diversity, I would love a Queen pin if done right. I still think he is the greatest voice in music.

Agreed.

Stern have a good track record on doing music pins 'right' over the last two years, after all, their top seller is music pin. I think they can be trusted to get Queen right.

Freddie's voice was indeed awesome, but also the themes of the songs he sang lend themselves to so many different modes on the Queen pinnie.

Garry will sell scores and scores of these.

images-9.jpegimages-9.jpeg
    #193 10 years ago

i could think of 50 reasons why i wouldnt play a queen music pin. uggh, really? that would be worse than avatar and i dont think i would have ever said that

#194 10 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

i could think of 50 reasons why i wouldnt play a queen music pin. uggh, really? that would be worse than avatar and i dont think i would have ever said that

You're welcome to your opinion. That's the beauty of this forum.

However, there's plenty of Queen fans all around the world who would buy a Queen pin. So when it comes out in 2015/16, keep your money in your wallet. I will be giving mine to Gary.

images-10.jpegimages-10.jpeg
    #195 10 years ago

How about a new edition of FLASH GORDON!!! This would be a hot sell. 1. Flash Gordon is the American dream; 2. It's a cult classic for many who purchase pins; 3. TED the movie has made many aware of it; 4. It would allow for Queen's Music to live on in a pin.

#196 10 years ago
    Quoted from DrPinball:

How about a new edition of FLASH GORDON!!! This would be a hot sell. 1. Flash Gordon is the American dream; 2. It's a cult classic for many who purchase pins; 3. TED the movie has made many aware of it; 4. It would allow for Queen's Music to live on in a pin.

It's an idea worth exploring.
    I'm not sure it would sell as well as a fully dedicated Queen pin, but a Flash Gordon mode within a Queen pin would work well.

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg
    #197 10 years ago

Hi Gary,

Nice move to produce a Mustang machine! It will sell well for you, in the US in particular.
    If it's a great game, I might even buy one.

But what's the 2014 music pin going to be?
    I suppose we will find out in 3 months time.

Now, let's look ahead since you are an astute business man and are already planning 2015's schedule.

Have we given you enough reasons to produce a Queen pinnie in 2015?
    What more do we need to say to convince you that a Queen pin will sell more units than Metallica and make your company good profits?

Remember, Mustang will be a big win for you in the USA, but you'll need to keep Europe and the western Pacific countries hungry for new pins.

Queen is the answer!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg
    #198 10 years ago

Titles:
    Freddie Mercury LEWe will Rock You LE
    Bohemian Rhapsody PremiumWe are the Champions Premium
    Fat Bottom Girls Pro
    Theme:
    Another One Bites The Dust!
    images-2.jpeg 8 KB

WOW! Those are some clever titles. How did you come up with them?

#199 10 years ago

Hi mcclad.

Thanks for the accolade.

Quite simple really ... anyone of the tens of millions of Queen fans around the world could have come up with those clever titles. They are just a spin of some of Queen's global mega-hits.

Queen.jpgQueen.jpg
    #200 10 years ago

Hi mcclad.
    Thanks for the accolade.
    Quite simple really ... anyone of the tens of millions of Queen fans around the world could have come up with those clever titles. They are just a spin of some of Queen's global mega-hits.

Queen.jpg 23 KB

I was being sarcastic. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Queen. Some of the best songs ever made. Ever. By any band. But after reading this thread you seem a little, well, ummmm, obsessed. How about popping in a Queen CD while playing another machine with the volume turned down and pretending? Alright, I will admit, I am being an a- hole right now.

There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-heres-why-queen-should-be-a-stern-music-pin/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.