(Topic ID: 236588)

Garbage garage total arcade DIY conversion eXtreme!!!

By radium

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190616-140711_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    i-sure-miss-you-a-lot-teddy-bear-looking-from-window-082f0 (resized).jpg
    Nope fire (resized).jpg
    don (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20190221_080915 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190221_080857 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7796 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7802 (resized).JPG
    E35ED9AA-8BCD-4D25-B475-8A8C84A2E105 (resized).jpeg
    house-on-fire (resized).jpg
    IMG_7789 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7784 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7780 - Copy (resized).JPG
    IMG_7778 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7771 (resized).JPG
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

So I'm turning an old detached garage into an arcade. I've been working on this for two years now, so I have lots of pictures to post.

First some backstory. I got into collecting pinball in 2012, and it made me realize we were house poor. We've done a lot of tough things to remedy that, one of which was selling our home in 2015 and buying a 9-acre as-is fixer-upper mystery property with four buildings. I got it cheap. There's a 2200 sqft main house, a 500 sqft detached garage, a second small house built in the 1950's, and a 350 sqft shed. I spent the next year completely remodeling the main house so we could actually live in it (watching Fixer Upper on HGTV will get you in a lot of trouble). With that out of the way, I turned my attention in 2017 to finding a home for my pinball collection, which at the time was still living in a storage unit. I was going to use the second house for this but it needs leveled and has a bad subfloor... too much to take on right now. That leaves the garage!

I had no idea when this garage was built. It was a total neglected nightmare mess, and as you will see, contained plenty of surprises.

So here is what we are starting with... are you seeing gameroom yet?

IMG_7765 (resized).JPGIMG_7765 (resized).JPG

Here's a terrible diagram of the floorplan. There's this one-car garage door seen here, but that wall on the right was added by the owner after it was built to create a second room. The building has a hip roof that extends ~10-ft beyond the structure over a small car port area (dirt floor, no slab). The little bathroom is like something out of a horror movie.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

Should be a fun thread, follow along.

#2 5 years ago

So to start off, here's the "phase 1" plans. The goal is to delete walls and reclaim wasted space.

Untitled2.pngUntitled2.png

Time to start demolition.

#3 5 years ago

That looks like they're be some scary Southern Spiders in there, be carefull!

#4 5 years ago

This will be interesting!!!

#5 5 years ago

"Weird Room" is the greatest thing I have ever seen on a floorplan.

#6 5 years ago

I like it! You can rename everything with one word. Overhang, arcade, & shitter!

BTW, where is the dog?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Someone order spiders? Just wait, it gets worse.

IMG_7785 (resized).JPGIMG_7785 (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago

Ahhh jesus..you better stop that bastard before he grabs that hammer.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

He's from Louisiana, spiders are the least of his concern with respect to critters!!!

#10 5 years ago

So first thing to go is this wall in the middle separating the garage from the weird room. The weird room is pretty gross, but it looks like someone was using it as an apartment or a spare room. Bare concrete floors, cheap 1/4" paneling on the walls, and a lovely popcorn ceiling (that I get to scrape).

IMG_7764 (resized).JPGIMG_7764 (resized).JPG

IMG_7768 (resized).JPGIMG_7768 (resized).JPG

The garage side of this wall is just peg board with insulation behind it...

IMG_7769 (resized).JPGIMG_7769 (resized).JPG

IMG_7770 (resized).JPGIMG_7770 (resized).JPG

IMG_7771 (resized).JPGIMG_7771 (resized).JPG

#11 5 years ago

After all the paneling and insulation was out, I tore out all the studs that were not original. There's a header beam supported by 4x4's here that needs to stay.

IMG_7778 (resized).JPGIMG_7778 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7780 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_7780 - Copy (resized).JPG
    IMG_7784 (resized).JPGIMG_7784 (resized).JPG

It was easy to tell which lumber was original and which was not, because the original lumber has ceiling texture overspray on it.

IMG_7789 (resized).JPGIMG_7789 (resized).JPG

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Someone order spiders? Just wait, it gets worse.
    [quoted image]

Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

house-on-fire (resized).jpghouse-on-fire (resized).jpg
    #13 5 years ago
    E35ED9AA-8BCD-4D25-B475-8A8C84A2E105 (resized).jpegE35ED9AA-8BCD-4D25-B475-8A8C84A2E105 (resized).jpeg
    #14 5 years ago

You probably would be better off just taking this to the foundation and rebuilding the structure. By the time you find all of the issue and non-code items, it might not be that much of a difference. In Louisiana, aluminum stud framing will be rust proof and rot proof.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

You probably would be better off just taking this to the foundation and rebuilding the structure. By the time you find all of the issue and non-code items, it might not be that much of a difference. In Louisiana, aluminum stud framing will be rust proof and rot proof.

No way!! I'm doing this whole thing for under $3k total (including finishing interior and installing air conditioning). It's slab on grade, stick built, with a hip roof. Bones are good, just needs gutted.

Virtually all residential construction here is pine. As long as its weatherproofed and you have termite prevention, it's pretty much the same here as anywhere else.

#16 5 years ago

Sure don't see very many nails holding those support beams in place

#17 5 years ago

So this is what it looked like after I ripped out the middle wall.

IMG_7802 (resized).JPGIMG_7802 (resized).JPG

Next I had to clean out all this random junk the previous owner had in here.

They had these commercial shelving units in here, like you see in a grocery store. Behind those were a few gigantic rat nests.

IMG_7797 (resized).JPGIMG_7797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7796 (resized).JPGIMG_7796 (resized).JPG

Just like the ones you find in pinball machines but bigger. I put on a suit and a respirator and pressure washed all that away, then scrubbed with bleach.

I find worse stuff later though.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

No way!! I'm doing this whole thing for under $3k total (including finishing interior and installing air conditioning). It's slab on grade, stick built, with a hip roof. Bones are good, just needs gutted.
    Virtually all residential construction here is pine. As long as its weatherproofed and you have termite prevention, it's pretty much the same here as anywhere else.

I don't know about that. The pics of the structure don't look like it was built well. I'd rather spend the extra cash to make sure I had a safe, stable structure that protected my pins and wasn't a risk to the occupants. But the pics could be deceiving and it's solid but finished like crap. I find that unlikely because I've found that if one aspect of a building is lacking its usually lacking in other areas, particularly the ones you can't see. I mean the last pic shows wiring without nail shields over where the wiring is run through the studs. Nail shields are cheap and also required. If they passed on installing those, it's a good sign they did a lot of other things that were shortcuts/wrong/dangerous. Just my opinion.

#20 5 years ago

With the interior walls stripped, will you need to update the framing? Sill plate to cement pad anchors? Brackets for the post and beam connections?

That's a lot of cob webs.

#21 5 years ago

So I see I made a mistake starting this thread and will stop posting. Was just looking to share a fun project.

I’ll skip to the conclusion... it came out great and we enjoy it.

Cheers.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

So I see I made a mistake starting this thread and will stop posting. Was just looking to share a fun project.
    Cheers.

I'd love to see how it comes out. Don't let people rain on your parade.

#23 5 years ago

I want to see more. This is a good thread. Interesting and entertaining.

#24 5 years ago

Please continue the original spirit of the Thread, I do stuff like this and really wanted to see where it is going (went).

#25 5 years ago

... I wanted to follow along! You need to finish the story. I need to know what else was found!

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Don't be a damn baby. You had to know Pinsiders know everything and were going to chime in...you HAD to!!!

#27 5 years ago

... and this is why we can’t have nice things!

And also why I refused to start a thread when I lifted an out building last year that was too low and had water issues, poured new floor with radiant heat and am currently finishing the inside. Taking longer than expected because... life. But should be a great work area for restoring plus overflow from my basement gameroom when it’s finished.

You’ve got our attention. Would love to see the rest of the story.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Cheers.

Please continue. I am interested.

#29 5 years ago

You are overly sensitive. Don’t post if you don’t want commentary. It’s a reasonable observation that the garage is probably far from code in the condition you’ve shown it prior to renovation.

#30 5 years ago

Dammit, I was reading that.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't be a damn baby. You had to know Pinsiders know everything and were going to chime in...you HAD to!!!

Agreed, what did you expect the comments to be?!? Just grow up and finish the posts, would like to see the finished product, but it better be NICELY DONE or pinside construction code enforcement will be called

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Dammit, I was reading that.

^this.

First sentence he said he started this two years ago and took lots of pictures. Obviously it was mostly done already. Hope the OP reconsiders and shares the rest of the project, but I think he dropped the mic.

#33 5 years ago

definitely don't stop posting i love reading these style threads and watching the progression. very interesting

#34 5 years ago

Do go on. I like watching other people work!

#35 5 years ago

Another vote to keep posting.

#36 5 years ago

I'll pick up where he left off. This is my goats stable that I'll be converting to a pinball room when the kids are all grown up.
    202? Stay tuned.
    I'll need a loit of JB weld for those cracks if anyone knows where I can buy some in bulk?

IMG_20190221_080857 (resized).jpgIMG_20190221_080857 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190221_080915 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190221_080915 (resized).jpg
    #37 5 years ago

Pls come back and keep the story going! I love these threads. Just gotta ignore the asshats that can’t read and want to critique

#38 5 years ago

Yes,come back I’m a lurker that doesn’t comment but still enjoys.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

I'll pick up where he left off. This is my goats stable that I'll be converting to a pinball room when the kids are all grown up.
    202? Stay tuned.
    I'll need a loit of JB weld for those cracks if anyone knows where I can buy some in bulk? [quoted image][quoted image]

There is a crack in the mortar. Tear it down and start over. I know what I am talking about. My uncle's college roommate's second cousin's mom's grandfather is a building inspector. That means I am as well.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

So I see I made a mistake

No mistake! Keep posting we like to see progress. Opinions are like..... well you know what I mean!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

There is a crack in the mortar. Tear it down and start over. I know what I am talking about. My uncle's college roommate's second cousin's mom's grandfather is a building inspector. That means I am as well.

Your ucrscmg is an idiot! I called JB himself and aside from widening the gap with a chisel to add cardboard shims, it'll pass inspection.

#42 5 years ago

Yeah - more please! Turning a weird garage full of rats nests and spiders into an arcade is great reading material. Moar!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

Your ucrscmg is an idiot! I called JB himself and aside from widening the gap with a chisel to add cardboard shims, it'll pass inspection.

Well yeah you could JB weld it. That shit can fix engine blocks! My ucrscmg says that you can just cover an entire building with JB and be fine.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pls come back and keep the story going! I love these threads. Just gotta ignore the asshats that can’t read and want to critique

I find this comment from you to be an amazing example of your lack of self awareness. You are one of the most critical posters on this board. Smh.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Cheers.

I can't believe you've been on this site for 5 years and still don't know how some of the members here act. SMH. At least post the finished pics so those interested see how it came out. Just my 2 credits.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I find this comment from you to be an amazing example of your lack of self awareness. You are one of the most critical posters on this board. Smh.

I am not the donkey coming in to a game room build out thread which clearly points out it has been many years in the making and now being documented for our enjoyment... only to tell them everything they did is wrong. >>>

Quoted from radium:

I've been working on this for two years now, so I have lots of pictures to post.

Wake up and apologize to the OP for being such a DB.

Guy is 2 years into a build out and you tell him he is a dummy and did it all wrong... WTF?

#47 5 years ago

Looking forward to more pictures ! Good Luck !

#48 5 years ago

Well now you guys went and pissed him off! I wanted to see the rest of story. That being said you have to have thick skin on here. Although you shouldn't have to....

#49 5 years ago

Thick skin when dealing with others who are bringing attention to potential code and construction issues? What a take my ball and go home attitude...You're posting in a public forum what are you expecting, just pats on the back? Nothing that was said was particularly out of line so take the comments into consideration and move on.

While this topic is apparently is dead, I look forward to the "Help my garage collapsed and crushed my pin collection" follow up thread.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not the donkey coming in to a game room build out thread which clearly points out it has been many years in the making and now being documented for our enjoyment... only to tell them everything they did is wrong. >>>

Wake up and apologize to the OP for being such a DB.
    Guy is 2 years into a build out and you tell him he is a dummy and did it all wrong... WTF?

Bunch of thin-skinned pansies. I never said he did anything wrong. I said the building looked like it was likely poorly built and suggested a tear down may have been a viable option. I then pointed out what the pics showed as shortcuts. I never said a thing about the ops rebuild. But, of course, your ability to actually read what I posted is lacking. Go back and read my posts again... not a single word about the ops work. Dumbass.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/garbage-garage-total-arcade-diy-conversion-extreme?hl=rasavage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.