3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Wickerman2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).png

#1 3 years ago

Garage Gold on the DIY network, Sunday January 3rd, 7-10pm central. It looks like all of these episodes are going to be covering vintage arcade game finds, but the 9:00 pm episode will have a WMS 1973 Gulfstream. I am already skeptical from the preview. Mint cabinet, and a perfect 10 backglass. Any Gulfstream owner will tell you, they would have a better chance of hooking a Coelacanth before they see a perfect Gulfstream BG. We'll see......

#2 3 years ago

Damn, I don't have access to that channel!!

#3 3 years ago

I watched Garage Gold when it first came on the air. On one episode they "found" an engine mounted on an engine stand. I quickly identified it as a 302 out of a Ford truck. First, that is a run-of -the-mill engine and secondly, you don't know the condition of it. If I NEEDED that particular engine I might give $200 for it. Anyway, they brought in their "expert" who claimed that the engine was worth $2500. I never watched that show again. Having said that, I have my DVR set for this episode.

#4 3 years ago

Cool I watch that show all the time ,I beleave they found a pinball machine before

#5 3 years ago

all these type of shows are staged, no one would watch otherwise. they would be to boring.

#6 3 years ago

Yea very true they are ,every show is

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

all these type of shows are staged, no one would watch otherwise. they would be to boring.

"Staged" does not bother me so much on this type of show because it weeds out boring material and keeps things interesting. To me staging is different than inflating prices to make the show more exciting. American Pickers is staged in a lot of ways, but they do not appear to inflate prices. Also, they mostly avoid buying pinball machines because they are not easy to flip unless you know how to fix them up. Pawn Stars is similar. Sounds like Garage Gold is more concerned about appealing to the money/greed side of things and less about showing interesting items and learning the history.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

What he said.

Ted

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Cool I watch that show all the time ,I beleave they found a pinball machine before

I believe they found a Elvis Alive, but I do not know what they got it appraised for.
    Found it, here is the original pinside post on that episode. At least they were honest and said $50-200, but only after stating it could be worth $10k.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hgtv-garage-gold-pinball-pain

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

"Staged" does not bother me so much on this type of show because it weeds out boring material and keeps things interesting. To me staging is different than inflating prices to make the show more exciting.

I respect the opinion here but I'm not so sure. If the platform of the activity is boring and uninteresting (like digging through garage sale crap) and needs an infusion of fake staging to make it palatable, why make the show at all? I'm pretty sure I know the answer which is "the show is insanely cheap to produce and is considered filler around the commercials being sold within it...and splashed across the bottom third of it...and mentioned within it when the product is physically placed there."

It's the same for inflating prices to create a more interesting watch. That even goes for a semi-respectable show like "Antiques Road Show." I'm sorry, but no sir. Your corner table is not worth $550,000 like the appraiser just said. You can go ahead and put that potted plant back on it.

Garbage in, garbage out. I don't watch shows like that...

#11 3 years ago

Reminder "Bump"

#12 3 years ago

This show is truly awful. They go and clear out people's garage and they get to keep what is in there. The lead guy says holy schnikie. Their expert is a guy who shows up with a laptop and looks stuff up on eBay.

So on the Gulfstream ep they open up the garage and one of the first things you see is the game. They start digging stuff out and find an old 3-n-1 plastic pinball that would also have skee-ball and basketball attachments if it were all there but really a cheap toy. The one guy says he hopes this isn't all the arcade stuff while right behind them is the GS, seriously it is the backdrop of this scene and the main guy says this wasn't the kind of arcade stuff he was hoping for and he sure hoped they would find something else.

After the next break the one guy starts yelling out and they all go running and see the pinball they were just standing next to and they are all jumping around excited. Just horribly done all around. Maybe if they had covered the game with some tarps at least or had it broken down you could buy it a little.

There was also an ep where they found a Gold Wings. I will never watch this show again and thank goodness for the fast forward button to make it through these.

#13 3 years ago

The only credit I will give them is that they kind of gave realistic prices. Off by about $150-200 on each. That GF needed a full restoration. I don't know much about that late SS.

#14 3 years ago

I only watch it to get a chuckle out of the dumbasses. And I hit fast forward on the TiVo whenever they begin to announce the value of any major item, because I know they'll go to a commercial just before saying it. Oh, the suspense!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from HFK:

After the next break the one guy starts yelling out and they all go running and see the pinball they were just standing next to and they are all jumping around excited.

It was probably discovered early in the clean out, and then the other footage was filmed later, but they had to edit it, so the big item of the episode is found in segment 3 as usual.

The worst thing about these shows like pawn stars, is that I can't remember if I have already seen then episode. Another gun or sword or book is brought in and I end up two thirds through before recognize the same inane Chum-lee shenanigans and then I feel even dumber knowing I watched it twice!

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

It was probably discovered early in the clean out, and then the other footage was filmed later, but they had to edit it, so the big item of the episode is found in segment 3 as usual.

image_(resized).png

6 months later
    #17 3 years ago

I dont really get the whole plot of this show, but thats might just be me being Swede here

I mean, what kind of people would sell stuff in their garage like that? and all the stuff? That wouldnt work in Sweden, thats for sure, doubt anyone wan their their garage full of valuable stuff cleaned out by some weird guys with a camera LOL

#18 3 years ago

Just like the Pawnshop shows, it's entirely staged.

The "valuable" or interesting items are found by the show's producers and brought to the set.

#19 3 years ago

Dang, Vid, next thing you'll be saying is there's no pinball fairy.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just like the Pawnshop shows, it's entirely staged.

insert "all reality" for "Pawnshop" and beyond being staged, they are actually scripted much of the time

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 299.00
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 208.87
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7.95
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside