Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5163 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Rainbow (resized).jpg
    2016-11-27 18.15.59 (resized).jpg
    2016-11-27 18.15.21 (resized).jpg
    Bob (resized).jpg
    em2 (resized).jpg
    em3 (resized).jpg
    EMs (resized).jpg
    Wall mounted AC (resized).jpg
    Pinballs in Garage (resized).jpg
    2016-11-15 07.21.02 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

So as what we in CA call winter sets in, being new to the pin world, I am concerned about my garage "game" room. I now have 6 pins, 1 wood rail, 4 1970's EM's, and a token 1993 SS Rocky and Bullwinkle. My 2 car garage is on the North side of the house, and this spring I paneled and insulated the west wall, put 2" foam in between most of the west side roof rafters, put a large area carpet below the machines, and foam paneled the back of the metal garage door. Sooooo, how much stress am I putting on the pins with the winter cold and humidity, and with the summer heat? I can't completely enclose it due to other garage uses. Any suggestions besides bringing them in the house to help protect them from any damage would be appreciated. And yes, I am very jealous of all of you with inside game rooms.

2016-11-15 07.21.02 (resized).jpg2016-11-15 07.21.02 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Interesting question. I would say that damp / humidity biggest problem. A dehumidifier (suitable capacity for your garage area, and a good size water tank) would be a good investment. I'm in UK so can't specify one that you can obtain easily, but mine cost around 200 UK pounds (about the same in dollars). It automatically keeps the RH to (say) 55 or 60, which means that bare metal won't rust. Not too expensive to run. Occasional opening of the garage isn't too much of a problem - the dehumidifier quickly gets the RH back to normal when door/s closed. In my garage/pinball room (which is joined to the house by a door) I have a small amount of air circulation with an external fan - not too much, or the dehumidifier works overtime. The DH I have can be manually emptied (every two days or so) and is portable. It's also possible to fit a flexible plastic pipe, and it then drains directly down a drain (if you have one in the floor). With regard to temperature, the main problem is likely to be that extremes of temperature will cause backglass flaking as the glass expands/contracts. In my location the garage never gets very hot, so no real extremes. In cold weather, i have just enough heating on to be comfortable in the room. I should say that my experience with the above arrangement is limited to only a year or so.

#3 7 years ago

Hopefully you wont be parking a car in the other half, opening and closing the door daily... I do have a number of projects stored in the garage but I pull the bg and store them inside.

#4 7 years ago

I also have a double garage detached game room.
    However, I am in South Texas with reverse weather than you. Gets hot in summer 4 mos and in the winter we may get a month total of sub zero (high 20's nights). however With a large 220 volt, 20 amp wall unit I can keep say high 70's in summer and low 70's in on the coldest night. I have insulation in all walls and doors. Humidity mostly under control in the summer, even If I open the doors to do some unplanned stuff it's Ok next day.

Cool collection of games Mr. op.

Pinballs in Garage (resized).jpgPinballs in Garage (resized).jpg
    Wall mounted AC (resized).jpgWall mounted AC (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

To all, thanks for input. Like the idea of the dehumidifier for winter. And yes car in other side so door opens and closees almost daily. Have choice of pins or wife in house. And she is softer to snuggle with at night. As for air conditioner or heater, even with partial solar, think that would spike my power bill too much. But might experiment with space heater. Can't sheetrock ceiling, so open to roof rafters.

#6 7 years ago

What are the extreme temps in Cali weather? I think it's more of a problem here in IN where the weather can change so rapidly and there's hot, humid days in summer and below freezing days in winter.

If you can keep the temp fairly constant, it should be alright.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

What are the extreme temps in Cali weather?

Summertime it's shorts, tank top, and sandals.

Wintertime it's shorts, tank top, sandals, and socks.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

If you can keep the temp fairly constant, it should be alright.

That's the key. Rapid temp changes and you will be able to see the paint lift on glass. These games generate a lot of heat and that's not good in a cold environment. If you play a game and heat it up the cold air on glass will create condensation. Wood plus moisture equals planking. I have never had a problem storing games in garage but I did insulate. The insulation keeps the temp fluctuation down to a minimum. I would never play the games in the cold.

#9 7 years ago

We got one of these from Lowe's a few years back for our garage & love it.

Fahrenheat 13,652-BTU Utility Cabinet Electric Space Heater with Thermostat
    $273.00

It does require running a 220v wire from your breaker box and a 220v plug but once you install it you are set. We are in central PA and even when it is super cold outside we have no problem getting garage warm enough to work in a tee shirt.

As far as energy use - we only run ours when working in the garage or on super cold nights but we have never really seen a change in the electric bill when running it. Not only will it warm your garage it will also take care of the humidity because hot air heat is dry heat.

My recommendation is one of these mounted on your ceiling or wall about 8' off the ground blowing down towards the front of your machines where you would be standing to play them. Set it to run when needed to keep garage about 55 degrees and you should be good to go. But one thing to remember beyond keeping an eye on your backglasses is plastic parts in machines get brittle when they are cold so over the winter you might end up breaking a plastic here & there when playing machines unless you keep the garage closer to 60 or 65 degrees.

#10 7 years ago

I'd agree with that, too-many-pins, except maybe for the 'hot air heat is dry heat'. As the air heats up, it can absorb moisture. Had that problem in several museum exhibitions that I set up. Easy to check - get a cheap digital RH indicator.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

What are the extreme temps in Cali weather?

Every time I go to CA, usually the coast, I'm freezing. It seems to be 50 no matter when I go and the delusional homeowners have some lame space heater. Seriously, I think the whole CA is really warm thing is a marketing ploy.

#12 7 years ago

dmbjunky: Coldest is about 28 to 30 degrees a couple of times a year. High is up to 110 in summer. In garage, cold would be close to low, but high is only upper 90's with insulation and have ceiling fan mounted over machines that keep on low when really hot.

O-din: Berk's not sandals. LOL

frb: thankfully temp changes not too rapid here in Sac. But one of the reasons for this post was to see what the possible damage could be, and how to keep it to a minimum. Especially concerned about the 1950 woodrail. It has three back glass spots, two scratches, and one small area right in front of a lamp where paint is lifting. Still researching best thing to do to stabilize it.

tmp: will look in to the Lowe's heater. That might be a good relatively low cost help for winter. Also, now that pulling the 5 tons of Christmas stuff out of the rafters, going to put in more 2" foam against the back of the roof.

#13 7 years ago

I did it for about a year. I was paranoid about floods in the basement but they all ended up down there anyways. One day I walked into the garage and saw the playfield glasses weren't see through that morning and decided enough was enough. (My garage door seal wasn't sealing out the humidity anymore, and it was clouding the glass that morning like you'd see on car windows on a dew-ey morning)

My arcade games are stored out there year-round and don't seem to mind much, as well as any rough pinball projects that I'm not ready to work on yet or are in the very early stages of being worked on. (New power cord, cleaning out junk/grossness that I don't want in my basement gameroom, early mechanical testing, etc.)

#14 7 years ago
    #15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Every time I go to CA, usually the coast, I'm freezing. It seems to be 50 no matter when I go and the delusional homeowners have some lame space heater. Seriously, I think the whole CA is really warm thing is a marketing ploy.

Coast is only warm from slightly north of LA to Mexico. Rest of coast - not so much. CA marketing is all LA and San Diego based. Surfers in Nor Cal, wear wet suits or die of hypothermia. One reason I love Sac, pretty mild year round, (that dry heat thing), and SF and all Mountain sports, fishing, camping, etc. each 1 to 2 hours away opposite directions.

#16 7 years ago

I keep most of my modern machines in the house along with a few of my collector quality EMs, but the garage is where we spend most of our time, so I keep a variety of great playing EMs out there. We play there year round with the garage door open usually late into the night.

In the summer when It's still very warm, I set a couple of jugs of frozen water in front of a fan, and that helps cool things off. On the few nights in the winter that the temp really drops, I have a small space heater so we can warm our tootsies. On the rare occasion it rains, I prop a ladder under that old wood door, so it doesn't come crashing down.

These are some older pics, but I'm always changing it up, trying to bring in the latest and greatest games.

EMs (resized).jpgEMs (resized).jpg

em3 (resized).jpgem3 (resized).jpg

em2 (resized).jpgem2 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

going to put in more 2" foam against the back of the roof

This would be my biggest concern before you do anything else based on your indication there is insulation all elsewhere. If it gets below freezing outside the garage will approach that also if there is no insulation in the ceiling/roof. Freeze/thaw is the most damaging to backglasses. Moisture contact comes in a close second.

#18 7 years ago

humidity is the biggest issue I would worry about, I would buy the largest dehumidifier around

#19 7 years ago

There isn't much humidity in Ca. Unless you live by the coast, and humidity still isn't a problem, but the salt air is.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Bob knows how to dress for the occasion. A cold winter night in So Cal with the garage door open.

Bob (resized).jpgBob (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Bob knows how to dress for the occasion. A cold winter night in So Cal with the garage door open.

There's those socks with sandals you mentioned previously.

#22 7 years ago

I'll admit, I throw on a sweatshirt once in a while too. We're supposed to play tonite . Although it's sunny and warm now, temp may drop later so I will try to give an update.

#23 7 years ago

You can also see both climate control devices under Serenade.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

There's those socks with sandals you mentioned previously.

Hey, he can't be a CA native, those are sandals, not Berk's. Thanks for all the input, and O-din, great collection. Also, one of best things I did for the garage is buy one of those $120 garage floor paint kits. Took a couple of days, and was a hassle completely emptying garage for a week to let it dry (and btw don't drive on it for a week no matter what the box says). But well worth it for looks and clean ability. Like the high tech climate control, but in So Cal, nature kind of does that for you. Gets a bit colder up here in Sac.

Will also be looking for that dehumidifier, the late December / January fog banks really jack up the humidity. And will put in some kind of low level heat for when it gets close to freezing. Which will also help with the Christmas collection storage. Thanks everyone for all the input.

2016-11-27 18.15.21 (resized).jpg2016-11-27 18.15.21 (resized).jpg

2016-11-27 18.15.59 (resized).jpg2016-11-27 18.15.59 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Hey, he can't be a CA native, those are sandals, not Berk's.

I've never owned a Berk, but IMO if it's not a Rainbow, it's not a sandal.

Rainbow (resized).jpgRainbow (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've never owned a Berk, but IMO if it's not a Rainbow, it's not a sandal.

You paint your toe nails o-din? Cali

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

So as what we in CA call winter sets in, being new to the pin world, I am concerned about my garage "game" room. I now have 6 pins, 1 wood rail, 4 1970's EM's, and a token 1993 SS Rocky and Bullwinkle. My 2 car garage is on the North side of the house, and this spring I paneled and insulated the west wall, put 2" foam in between most of the west side roof rafters, put a large area carpet below the machines, and foam paneled the back of the metal garage door. Sooooo, how much stress am I putting on the pins with the winter cold and humidity, and with the summer heat? I can't completely enclose it due to other garage uses. Any suggestions besides bringing them in the house to help protect them from any damage would be appreciated. And yes, I am very jealous of all of you with inside game rooms.

You can send the "Spot Bowler" to me. I'll take care of it!

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

However, I am in South Texas with reverse weather than you. Gets hot in summer 4 mos and in the winter we may get a month total of sub zero (high 20's nights).

I think you mean sub-FREEZING, no? Or, do you do Celsius in Texas?

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You just love to twist the knife, don't you!

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

You paint your toe nails o-din? Cali

Stock photo. lol.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Or, do you do Celsius in Texas?

Meh its 16 today. Kinda nice out

--Jeff

#32 7 years ago

LMGTFY...
    Looks like you don't really need heat or insulation, but sealing it up and using a dehumidifier is the best plan for you...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You just love to twist the knife, don't you!

Nah. We do suffer with Santa Ana winds this time of year. They blow crap everywhere and really make a big mess.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I think you mean sub-FREEZING, no? Or, do you do Celsius in Texas?

Yes some years it does freeze down in Houston area and sub 30 degree F periods catch you out.

I'm a Oil and Gas transplant down here and like a bunch of others of my type we totally miss the fact that although we are in the sub tropical belt we still get some winters with freezing weather that lasts over a whole week. You end up loosing a lot of cash on planted scrubs, bushes etc a couple of years after planting. Plant stockists make good money of us repeatably.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You can send the "Spot Bowler" to me. I'll take care of it!

Since I don't have it working yet, kind of want to play it a few times before considering selling it. And would take a bit of cash. Only had it a couple months. Estate sale find and it was a mess.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

LMGTFY...
    Looks like you don't really need heat or insulation, but sealing it up and using a dehumidifier is the best plan for you...

B-N, thanks for the cool charts. I better be getting that dehumidifier soon.

#37 7 years ago

OK, it does get cold around here. We're all freezing and Bob says he had a stroke. Didn't keep him from whoopping some ass. And Mike dropped off the game that fits the season.

DSCN5163 (resized).JPGDSCN5163 (resized).JPG

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I picture O-din as the old guy with plaid shorts, stained wife beater tee, & Jesus sandals with black socks yelling at kids to get off of his lawn.

#39 7 years ago

Games in a garage? LOL. Fat chance.

Around here, unless you want to spend time scraping your windshields a lot, the garage is for the cars. And in summer, it's just too hot/humid to do it.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

OK, it does get cold around here. We're all freezing and Bob says he had a stroke. Didn't keep him from whoopping some ass. And Mike dropped off the game that fits the season.

Even I have trouble with the idea of "cold" in So Cal. Btw O-din, which is older, the pin or that crt tv on the shelf?

#41 7 years ago

I've had that Quasar TV since the 90s. It was a "gift".

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm in Menifee, Ca. 100 miles east of L.A........thank God. Summertime its 95 to 109 degrees most days, usually July thru September

#43 7 years ago

To all who suggested a dehumidifier, ordered tonight, be here early next week. Thank you thank you. As for heat, going to get by with my two 1,500 watt space heaters for now.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

To all who suggested a dehumidifier, ordered tonight, be here early next week. Thank you thank you. As for heat, going to get by with my two 1,500 watt space heaters for now.

Lots of guys here in Sac with games in the garage with no issues. You really don't even Ed a dehumidifier. All I have in my garage is a thermostatically controlled vent for the summer. Door is almost totally insulated, walls are Sheetrock only (and I really wanna change that)

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Lots of guys here in Sac with games in the garage with no issues. You really don't even Ed a dehumidifier. All I have in my garage is a thermostatically controlled vent for the summer. Door is almost totally insulated, walls are Sheetrock only (and I really wanna change that)

dsuperbee, thanks and nice to see someone else here in sac. My garage older so no sheetrock and open to back of roof, so close to outside weather short of direct rain. Hoping to get it better insulted someday. Being new to pins would be nice to get to know some guys in Sac who were in to em's.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

dsuperbee, thanks and nice to see someone else here in sac. My garage older so no sheetrock and open to back of roof, so close to outside weather short of direct rain. Hoping to get it better insulted someday. Being new to pins would be nice to get to know some guys in Sac who were in to em's.

My roof is the same, built in the late 70s.

Lots of guys here, including EM folks!

2 weeks later
    #47 7 years ago

So, two follow ups: Just finished insulating the entire garage and paneling and sheet rocking the walls, and have a dehumidifier running. Temp is average 10 to 14 degrees warmer than outside temp, without space heater running, and keeping humidity below 60 percent.

Also, have a question about the spot bowler. The back box back was missing. It is a wood back that also is part of the top of the cabinet. Anyone have a suggestion for making a new back. Assume it is a thin, like 1/4 back panel fastened to a wood top piece the thickness of the cabinet top. But anything I should know that doesn't seem obvious?

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

So, two follow ups: Just finished insulating the entire garage and paneling and sheet rocking the walls, and have a dehumidifier running. Temp is average 10 to 14 degrees warmer than outside temp, without space heater running, and keeping humidity below 60 percent.
    Also, have a question about the spot bowler. The back box back was missing. It is a wood back that also is part of the top of the cabinet. Anyone have a suggestion for making a new back. Assume it is a thin, like 1/4 back panel fastened to a wood top piece the thickness of the cabinet top. But anything I should know that doesn't seem obvious?

Someone had actually repro'd those wooden backbox panels for Gottliebs. Can't recall, but it might have been PBR. I don't know if they are still available. You find them cut in half from time to time because of lack of clearance at some locations back in the day. The general idea is what you assumed in your post. There is a hole for a lock, but it's probably not necessary for home use.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/garage-game-room-with-ems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.