8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinballlife
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ironman_rubber_snapped.jpg
    TRON-LE.jpg
    family_guy.JPG
    transformers.JPG

#1 8 years ago

So during our meetup, we of course played some pinball. Asked one of the techs why avatar, rolling stones, and tron are gone. Turns out gameworks didn't pay for any of them, on loan from Stern (as well as transformers, so expect that to go away too). Fine, I guess I can understand that, why not take free games but still sucks that I barely got to play them. Go to play family guy, right flipper is busted. Tried to play transformers, there were at least 2 screws that came loose and started bouncing their way down the playfield until they found a hole to drop down into the bottom cabinet. Then it seemed like everytime we locked 3 balls, it would go into this weird mode where it thinks it's missing a ball, kept trying to eject it from the troft.. then it would kill the flippers for like 5 seconds, and if the ball happened to be nearby, you'd of course lose it.

It would seem Gameworks doesn't care about pinball, that they would be happy to just do redemption games and maximize profits.

transformers.JPG family_guy.JPG

#2 8 years ago

That stinks. Last time I played there most of the pins were in less than great shape.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

It would seem Gameworks doesn't care about pinball, that they would be happy to just do redemption games and maximize profits.

I would have a looooooonnnnggg talk with them about that.

#4 8 years ago

not surprised many of these routed machines are in bad shape especially the higher traffic ones

#5 8 years ago

When I was there in March (as part of the MGC Stern Tour) Gameworks made a big deal about the fact that they have onsite techs who take care of the pinball machines so they don't fall into disrepair. It would seem they were either blowing smoke or somebody's been shirking their responsibilities...

#6 8 years ago

A few years ago my company had their awards party(you know those bs morale boosters where they give just about every employee some meaningless award) at gameworks. I didn't see any pinball machines so I asked the teenage girl who worked the prize booth where the pinball machines were? Her response: What's a pinball machine. True story.

#7 8 years ago

I think the condition of their pins has been on a steady decline ever since Sega sold the company to a group of private investors earlier this year. It's certainly no coincidence that around that same time the pins were suddenly all moved upstairs to a much less accessible area. The company also used to be headquartered in Chicago, but now it's headquartered in Las Vegas. Since corporate people aren't randomly dropping by anymore, there is much less of an incentive for them to keep the games in working order. We only really pay attention to the pins, but my guess is that the entire place has gone down hill.

Quoted from jarjarisgod:

When I was there in March (as part of the MGC Stern Tour) Gameworks made a big deal about the fact that they have onsite techs who take care of the pinball machines so they don't fall into disrepair.

That was before the company was sold ...

http://www.vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=EB79A487112B48A296B38C81345C8C7F&nm=Vending+Features&type=Publishing&mod=Publications::Article&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=3CDE439A805F4275B9D362B83350A4C2

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That was before the company was sold ...

Ah ha! This turn of events could be the cause for the lack of care for the pins. Makes sense since they were all working quite nicely back in March.

#9 8 years ago

I went there at expo and all the games were fine. I thinks it's good for Stern and Gameworks that they are loan the Games to them. Machines break all the time. I just had a few pinhead buddies over last weekend to play some pinball. My MM DMD went dead just before my buddies got there. I was very sad. My buds were cool about it. We tried to fix the problem at the time but decided it wasn't worth it and just played the other games. After I tested the AV Power Board it Turned out a few resistors went bad on the 65 V line and I replaced them. It will be ready for the next party.

My point: Stuff on these machines go all the time. They are powered on most of the day and take a lot of abuse.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Go to play Family Guy, right flipper is busted.

I understand being upset but did you try and tell someone there to let them know there was a problem?

Don't be upset about that. I was in town by Gameworks over the summer attending a wedding (I live about 4 hours away). I knew they had Tron and wanted to try it out. When I got there, Sunday late morning mind you, I went to look for the pins. I find them up by the bar. Before I could approach them a lady told me they weren't available for play because they were reserved for a party. I wasn't to pleased, especially since I just through $20 on one of their cards.

#10 8 years ago

There was another thread mentioning screws falling out of Transformers, but I can't seem to find it at the moment :/

#11 8 years ago

Honestly Gameworks is a joke now a days. I know that arcades now pretty much suck. I mean they only have three types of games (racing, shooting, redemption.) Dave and Busters used to have pinball but that was 4 years ago. We have a couple arcades in the local malls and they are racing, shooting, redemption. There are few arcades anymore that have pinball. The exceptions here are Ace's downtown Pittsburgh has 4 or 5 pins and local bowling alley New Great Valley has 5 pins.

#12 8 years ago

I'm surprised about this. Everything was fine just after Expo when I was there, they even had a tech fixing Sopranos at the time. I wonder if Stern will continue to use them for launch parties. It's kind of surprising with all the pinball companies that Chicago's had, that there's not at least one big pin arcade in the area. All the good games are in the bars here.

#13 8 years ago

Pinball was the best bang for your buck at Gameworks too. 75 cents a play. I wanted to tryout the Terminator Shooting Game (can't remember if it was Salvation or what) but it was something like $4-5 a play. I decided to pass.
    Pinball on location is dying. It's jsut not profitable. Takes years and years to pay off a new Stern. Figure if you charged a $1 per play. You'd need about 5000 plays ($1/play) to pay off the game and that's not including any license you might need from a city to have the game on location or the maintenace to keep the game going.

#14 8 years ago

Even "back in the day" when I had my route, and the games were not 20 years old, something would always be broken on some of the pins.

No store employee would ever call to say something was broken, they would always just tape an "out of order" sign on the backglass for you to discover when you went to collect the quarters.

Never would anyone know what the problem was, or who put the sign up. You would have to do some quick detective work. You needed to repair quickly, because some other stops on a route would close at 5pm. Removing the game from the store was always the last resort. If it was more than you could handle, you called in your real tech, who would come out and solder away (when you cringe at all the bad solder joints in your game, remember they were done on a piece of plywood laid on top of the game, with 5 kids hovering over you asking questions...).

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Her response: What's a pinball machine. True story.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from nerd:

vicjw66 said:

Her response: What's a pinball machine. True story.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat []

No one from the current generation knows what pinball is.

My current girlfriend had never even seen a pinball before in person until she met me.

She asked if I wanted to play against her and started the game. She did not know you had to press the start button twice, so when it was my turn, it was her second ball. True story.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My current girlfriend had never even seen a pinball before in person until she met me.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your respective ages?

#18 8 years ago

Gameworks has always been hit and miss. It's nice that they have the relationship with Stern but I imagine Stern wishes they'd buy some of those "loaner" games in the end. Perhaps Stern got sick of them not buying finally. Afterall, they made a good amount of money off of those free borrowed games.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

Afterall, they made a good amount of money off of those free borrowed games.

I think it's a mutually beneficial relationship. I'm sure Stern has also sold a lot of games because people got to try them out at Gameworks.

#20 8 years ago

My buddy goes to Gameworks on a regular basis because of its close proximity to his work. He said that they just pulled those other pins during the week. That really stinks since the Illinois Pinball Club had their meeting there on Saturday.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're looking for machines on location in IL, go to Brixies in Brookfield. I was there on Saturday night and played MM, IJ (williams) and Tron LE. Every game worked 100% and the burgers and beers are to die for.

#21 8 years ago

vid1900 said:

If you don't mind my asking, what are your respective ages?

I'm 47 and she is 26.

Here is her pic

TRON-LE.jpg

#22 8 years ago

47 with a 26 year old, Good work if you can find it Vid!

Also every time I see your avatar, I always think of the tallman's quote in phantasm: 'BOOOYYYYY!!'

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from SunsetPinball:

My buddy goes to Gameworks on a regular basis because of its close proximity to his work. He said that they just pulled those other pins during the week. That really stinks since the Illinois Pinball Club had their meeting there on Saturday.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're looking for machines on location in IL, go to Brixies in Brookfield. I was there on Saturday night and played MM, IJ (williams) and Tron LE. Every game worked 100% and the burgers and beers are to die for.

A big +1 on that Sunset! I love Brixies!

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

47 with a 26 year old, Good work if you can find it Vid!

LOL, thanks.

It's not all fun and games. She is still in med school, so I have to be able to hold my liquor will all of her college friends. And I've got to keep on my toes, some of those college guys have to occasionally be put in their place and they can be pretty fast (even if I am much meaner).

Quoted from Blakesell:

Also every time I see your Avatar, I always think of the tallman's quote in phantasm: 'BOOOYYYYY!!'

Tallman - the ultimate space alien, no doubt.

#25 8 years ago

Sorry to hear about the machines being in poor working order Toyotaboy I know how disappointing that can be. I guess you will just have to find some better spots to play as Sunsetpinball suggests.

#26 8 years ago

Hey all, my name is Jim and I am the GM of the GameWorks in Schaumburg. I saw the latest comments here. As you all know, pinballs get abused all the time. In an environment such as ours, novice players beat them up daily and it is hard to keep up on them. I get emails from Josh, Zach, and Dave H alerting me to when they see something wrong and we fix it right away. The games are serviced once a week. So all you have to do is let me know and I can get my tech team on the problem if problems develop between their service schedules. The Sharpes are starting a monthly League. I am posting their email that was sent out:

Here is my Email: Jolson@gameworks.com

Hello All,
    The IFPA, Gameworks and the Chicago Pinball League are pleased to
    announce the start of a new monthly tournament at the Schaumburg
    Gameworks location. The tournament will take place on the first
    Tuesday of each month at 7pm, starting on December 6th.
    Entry fee is $5 plus the cost of games. Tournament format is a best of
    3, single elimination head-to-head bracket. Games and seeding will be
    chosen at random.
    All cash from entry fees will be paid out to the top 4 finishers each
    month, with additional prizes like Gameworks game cards and Stern
    goodies available as well. World Pinball Player Rankings points will
    also be awarded for all participants.
    Pre-registration is encouraged so we can prepare for how many players
    to expect. Please contact the IFPA at 'ifpapinball at gmail dot com'
    for any questions, and to sign up for December’s tournament if you’re interest.

#27 8 years ago

That is really great of you to Chime in Jim. Will Gameworks ever get more pins for us pinheads? I would drive the two + hours more often if they had a few more on hand. Thanks

#28 8 years ago

Thanks for letting us know, Jim. Good to read that you guys still care about the pins!

5 months later
    #29 8 years ago

So what's Gameworks looking like these days as far as Pins go?

#30 8 years ago

Well there's a PAPA circuit tournament there this weekend so they better be in pretty good shape!

#31 8 years ago

Tron, Transformers, 24, Iron Man, Family Guy, Sopranos, AC/DC.

Tron is on the first floor in a corner. A couple months ago it was near the bar which I thought was a better location. The remaining are on the second floor. I played them all once and seemed to be clean and in working order. I was surprised there were people playing almost every machine on the second floor. It thinned out and I mainly played Tron and AC/DC.

#32 8 years ago

Hey guys, great to hear! Thanks for the info!

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

So during our meetup, we of course played some pinball. Asked one of the techs why Avatar, Rolling Stones, and tron are gone. Turns out gameworks didn't pay for any of them, on loan from Stern (as well as Transformers, so expect that to go away too). Fine, I guess I can understand that, why not take free games but still sucks that I barely got to play them. Go to play Family Guy, right flipper is busted. Tried to play Transformers, there were at least 2 screws that came loose and started bouncing their way down the playfield until they found a hole to drop down into the bottom cabinet. Then it seemed like everytime we locked 3 balls, it would go into this weird mode where it thinks it's missing a ball, kept trying to eject it from the troft.. then it would kill the flippers for like 5 seconds, and if the ball happened to be nearby, you'd of course lose it.

Attachments family_guy.JPG (380.6 KB, 0 downloads) 5 months old transformers.JPG (529 KB, 0 downloads) 5 months old

Atleast they have pins! Dave and Busters is a bust as they have no pins but claim to be an adult arcade style bar and grill. It's almost like you want to pull the glass and fix them so you can play them when you see this on locations with messed up pins. You see a pin you want to play only to find out the flippers dont work and the G.I. bulbs all burnt out, mix match flippers, etc. etc. Can't wait to go to docscott's on Saturday and play some HE pins that are flawless and jaw droppin! It's gonna be fun!!

3 years later
    #34 5 years ago

So my wife's flight got rerouted and delayed 2 hours, popped into gameworks rather than going back home. Played family guy, played well.. lots of people playing all the pins, my faith in pinball humanity has changed.. or has it? I go play mustang, it's on a 2 minute limit. Well at least I can win some tickets right? I get 2 multiballs, I'm playing well... ticket machine is empty. Ok, let me move over to iron man. Put my credit in, I don't notice that the left sling rubber is snapped and blocking the entire left side with a ball already sitting inside the ring. I plung, knock the ball around a couple times, now my ball gets stuck too. I go to turn it off so nobody else plays it, power switch is covered by a metal plate. I hope your solenoids fry from doing a non-stop ball search.
    ironman_rubber_snapped.jpg

1 week later
    #35 5 years ago

I went to Gameworks for the first time today with my wife. Getting interested in pinball now after buying her a MsPacman for her birthday. I went mainly to play whatever pins were there, she likes MsPacman/Galaga and ticket games.
    On the 2nd floor I saw Mustang, IronMan, Sopranos, 24, FamilyGuy. The IronMan was playing alright, aside from too many drains coming off this one ramp. At least now I know IM wont be my first pin. At one point some employee rolled the Sopranos into the empty space next to IronMan and plugged it in. I played it once or twice. My wife played it a bit later and something was jazzed up. So GW guy came and put a credit in for her but then ball got stuck on other side of the safe. She wasn't interested in waiting for it to be fixed and moved on to something else.
    I'm amazed that there are so few pinball machines there. Those cockpit/shooter/racing games have to cost twice the price of a pin, and take up double the space. And I don't know what these kids are thinking, most of those ticket games seem to be a random number generator based, dressed up in lights. When I was a kid you could effect how many tickets you got, skee ball, etc.

#36 5 years ago

Game works pinball has been in decline for several years. Sad.
    Terry.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    bB Customs
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 159.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 339.00
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    £ 12.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside