Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Fresh off the heels of Expo and the recent thread stating that GW had a large number of pins removed, it's been announced there will now be a regular monthly tournament. On the first Tuesday of each month GW and IFPA are doing a tournament! I'm excited to see Chicago having regular open play now and maybe this means pinball is not being phased out at GW! Who's up for going and making a presence for Pinside? I'll be there.

Here's the post from RGP:

"The IFPA, Gameworks and the Chicago Pinball League are pleased to
    announce the start of a new monthly tournament at the Schaumburg
    Gameworks location. The tournament will take place on the first
    Tuesday of each month at 7pm, starting on December 6th.

Entry fee is $5 plus the cost of games. Tournament format is a best of
    3, single elimination head-to-head bracket. Games and seeding will be
    chosen at random.

All cash from entry fees will be paid out to the top 4 finishers each
    month, with additional prizes like Gameworks game cards and Stern
    goodies available as well. World Pinball Player Rankings points will
    also be awarded for all participants.

Pre-registration is encouraged so we can prepare for how many players
    to expect. Please contact the IFPA at 'ifpapinball at gmail dot com'
    for any questions, and to sign up for December’s tournament if you’re
    interest.

Thanks,
    Josh Sharpe "

#2 12 years ago

I've never been to any of the other tournaments. do they bring in alternate pins, or it's whatever they have there now?

#3 12 years ago

For GW it's whatever is there at the time. They typically fix them all up a day or two before the tournament though.

#4 12 years ago

Fun! Count me in. I was just there a few days ago and they still had four machines. Most were working pretty well.

Can't wait.

Cheers,
    Nick

#5 12 years ago

Man whys it got to be on a Tuesday! I work a 15 hour day on Tuesdays!!

#6 12 years ago

Yep, Tuesday rules me out too unfortunately. I get home around 7:15pm, and up just before 5am next day for work, so not much time to play outside the home. Great if you're 5min away though. Ah well, I suck anyway and would just be adding to the winners take. :>

#7 12 years ago

Anyone know why they pulled machines anyway? Stern still has the 6 listed for sale on their site. You'd think they'd at least have one of each of those there.

#8 12 years ago

Seattle GameWorks doesn't take pinball seriously at all, and hasn't for at least the last couple of years that I know of. The Stern Iron Man debut took place there, and someone had spiffed up the machines before that happened, but as a rule, pinball is wasted there.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Anyone know why they pulled machines anyway?

i made a comment in another thread. operator told us gameworks no longer buys from stern since they get "test models" on loan. I don't know if they don't make enough money by owning, or they just figure why buy when they get freebies. I still wish they would buy one after the test phase, at least for a little while.

#10 12 years ago

Yeah. You'd think that at least TRON would be in a GameWorks. Iron Man is a good game for GameWorks, too. Spider-Man, absolutely.
    Is it true that Spielberg runs GameWorks, or is it nearly all Sega now?

#11 12 years ago

First it went bankrupt, then Sega sold it.

http://tinyurl.com/84lufzx

If you google 'gameworks sold' you can find many related articles.

#12 12 years ago

Uh-oh. No wonder the pinball machines are all crap and there's crane games everywhere in there.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from LaughingOtter:

Uh-oh. No wonder the pinball machines are all crap and there's crane games everywhere in there.

Let's be fair. The entire upstairs is all vids, pinball, and pool. Sure we all want to see them add more pinball. I'm thrilled they put the pins upstairs away from all the kid games. You know how many kids use to come and put their fingers all over the glass while watching you play?

#14 12 years ago

We have tourneys 2 times a year, 1 in October before the expo and another in March before Midwest gaming classic. We do buy pinballs when I feel they are a good buy and I have money in the budget from corporate. We last bought Ironman and I am interested in buying Avatar... Transformers kick but also. Problem is that Pinballs in general get beat up here and when compared to other games the rate of return is lower. But I am committed to the pinball community. This last tourney we had we upped the prize money to 2K and it was the best money generator to date with the lowest amount of competitors we have ever had. I didn't do a good job getting the word out for that one. If I did we would have had even a stronger showing.I don't look to make money oin the events...I look to create some excitement. If the tourney in March does just as well, I am going to up the prize money. I will keep you all up to date on the next tourney and come to the Monthly open play. We will do our best to keep the games up, again remeber that novice players play them and don't really care how they treat them

#16 12 years ago

If u buy a pin, please make it tron over avatar. I played that maybe twice, I would think tron pulls in more money?

Also as crazy as it sounds, if you were to buy an older pin (even possibly pre dot-matrix) that nobody else in the area has (black knight2000, earrhshaker), you could buy a nicely treated one for half the cost and you could rake in some serious money

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gameworks-monthly-tournament and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.