(Topic ID: 222168)

Games you thought you would hate but loved

By Frippertron

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I recently played a Surf N Safari. Wow! I love this game! It has a cool multiball where you actually have to qualify the jackpot! Cool hurry up rounds, whirlpool millions, etc. Just a great shooters game. I'm wondering if anyone else has recently played a game where they thought they were going to hate it and ended up loving it? (Mystery hole aka plunge shot was blocked on my game).

#2 5 years ago

I could never get into WOZ on location. But wife and daughter loved it. Watched some videos, made a trade, and now it is in my home. With good lighting (thanks Pin Stadium) and a knowledge of the rules, I'm loving this game now. I now understand why it is a keeper for so many.

#4 5 years ago

I never thought I'd hate it, but I was quite surprised by just how much I enjoy playing bride of pinbot. It caught me off guard with how great of a game it is.

#5 5 years ago

A couple months ago I picked up Space Odyssey, Argosy, and Aztec for cheap. I thought I would have liked Argosy the least and was planning to flip it, but it's easily my favorite of the three. I had played someone else's Argosy and didn't like it; the secret was making it run correctly.

#6 5 years ago

Metallica

Couldn't stand it at all when it first came out.

Recently picked up a Pro and now it is one of my favorites. The definition of a "just one more game" pin. Love it!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I never thought I'd hate it, but I was quite surprised by just how much I enjoy playing bride of pinbot. It caught me off guard with how great of a game it is.

Agreed! I'll say Pinbot even too - I had never got a chance to play either until last year and I love the System 11 stuff, but these always just looked kinda bland to me. Had a blast with both of them.

#8 5 years ago

Judge Dredd.

#9 5 years ago

NBA Fastbreak. It looked like a confusing, intimidating mess, but man was it a blast to play.

#10 5 years ago

Corvette never thought much of the game but once I played It I really liked it.

#11 5 years ago

Space Station the first time I saw the upside down white plastic pie pan under the glass I thought it looked really cheap & corny but after I played a few games I started looking around for one & now its one of the games I play most often ....... love that game!

#12 5 years ago

Honestly Bram Stokers Dracula looked quite uninspiring. Bad art, minimal playfield design, but Wow it works!! Coding and genius I guess?

#13 5 years ago

I hate to say it, but hook! Everybody hates that game, but I played a nice one and it wasn’t bad!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

It wasn’t bad.

My, what a ringing endorsement.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

I hate to say it, but hook! Everybody hates that game, but I played a nice one and it wasn’t bad!

It is fun! Especially if you can get it at a good price!

#16 5 years ago

AC/DC for me.

#17 5 years ago

I had a good time on Elvis and Car Hop at CAX this weekend. Fun pins.

#18 5 years ago

Hollywood Heat. We've had one standing in our club for several months before the owner finally got around to bringing it back online. Many jokes were made on its account before it was ready. Looks sooo ugly and trashy, but is sooo fun to play. Original layout, great music and if you go with the trash and give it some extra pulp just THE overkill 80s experience.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Metallica
    Couldn't stand it at all when it first came out.
    Recently picked up a Pro and now it is one of my favorites. The definition of a "just one more game" pin. Love it!

Same here. I didn't care for the art, music, or layout at first. Now it's one of my absolute favorites. Congo is another game I didn't think much of at first glance. Played a few games and was hooked.

#20 5 years ago

I traded a TWD for MET & was a bit hesitant with this trade at first. MET turned out to be incredible & is a very close example of perfect pinball!

#21 5 years ago

Bally El Toro.

Of course, at the time, there was nobody there to tell me I was supposed to hate it.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I had a good time on Elvis and Car Hop at CAX this weekend. Fun pins.

We should hang out! Car Hop is one of my favorite pins ever!

#23 5 years ago

Without a doubt:

Robo-War

Went to the Louisville Expo a few years ago and the lines were long on everything. There was a snow storm right before the show and lots of games didn’t show up. For whatever reason (I’m guessing because it looks very underwhelming) Robo-War never had a line.

I stepped up to play because I was waiting to play something else. Played a game, looked back, no one. Kept playing. Played another game looked back, no one. Kept playing. Like 2 hours later, I was in love.

Game is amazing.

Every game deserves at least one play. You never know what is gonna click with you.

#24 5 years ago

Dialed In! One of my top favorites now

#25 5 years ago

Fish Tales. Theme originally did nothing for me. Fishing? Uh, ok. I thought the call outs and music was going to be too redneck. Didn’t look like there was very much to do on the game either.

And then I played it. And played it. And played it. And bought it. And played it some more. A fast, tight game with excellent geometry, flow and an awesome rule set.

A true classic. Actually a very fun theme, outstanding theme integration with hilarious call outs and the music is absolutely genius. The art is colorful, vibrant and very well done and stylized. Color DmD is wonderful, as the dots are highly imaginative.

You just never know in pinball. You gotta play a game a few times before you can make a well informed decision.

#26 5 years ago

Another +1 for Fish Tales. And also WCS94. Both are themes that didn't appeal to me, but gameplay on both is fantastic.

#27 5 years ago

Big Buck Hunter Pro. A friend showed me this pin at CAX. It was really fun!

#28 5 years ago

Guns N Roses. I never much cared for their music back in the day. I played it and loved it. Great game!

#29 5 years ago

Met, wasn’t sure at first but liked it so much I bought a gotg

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Without a doubt:
    Robo-War
    Went to the Louisville Expo a few years ago and the lines were long on everything. There was a snow storm right before the show and lots of games didn’t show up. For whatever reason (I’m guessing because it looks very underwhelming) Robo-War never had a line.
    I stepped up to play because I was waiting to play something else. Played a game, looked back, no one. Kept playing. Played another game looked back, no one. Kept playing. Like 2 hours later, I was in love.
    Game is amazing.
    Every game deserves at least one play. You never know what is gonna click with you.

Have to agree with you on this one. It has good shots and they did a really nice job with the sound and light package.

I find myself liking a lot of System 80Bs that I never thought I would.......as long as I don't have to work on them.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from cynric:

Hollywood Heat

This, and gold wings are both better than people give them credit for.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Have to agree with you on this one. It has good shots and they did a really nice job with the sound and light package.
    I find myself liking a lot of System 80Bs that I never thought I would.......as long as I don't have to work on them.

If you hate working on them, I’m doomed when o get my first one. Haha

#33 5 years ago

Star Trek LE: when it first came out it looked just like Star Trek Next Gen. same basic design and ramps basically in the same place. I had to fix a customer’s pro version and it was uninspiring. It confirmed my initial opinion. Then I played Star Trek Le at the Pinball hall of fame in Las Vegas and finally enjoyed it. It was great. I was luckily enough to buy one of the few remaining NIB Star Trek LEs. It sits next to Star Trek Next Gen. (and Star Wars Premium snd Spider-Man. My Steve Ritchie corner,)

#34 5 years ago

Mustang

Horrible theme with a meh looking layout and crappy photoshop artwork. But the rules are awesome. Very easy to understand and a great risk/reward with the six ball multi all. I still miss my premium.

#35 5 years ago

Talking about system 80B, I'll have to go with Genesis. Awful translite, hideous purple ramps, but the game is a blast to shoot! It's funny, now you can get nice looking alternative translites and beautiful clear ramps, turning this pin into a looker now. It also has those awesome Gottlieb/Premier kicker targets that I wish more games would have.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Without a doubt:
    Robo-War
    Game is amazing.

Definitely a diamond in the rough, Chuck. Once you figure this game out, it is the total package. Too bad they are so hard to find. I would love to have one. The story behind the game is cool too. It was designed as a homage to the classic System 1 game Sinbad. The drops are all in the same place and it was originally supposed to have two sets of double flippers too.

#37 5 years ago

Aerosmith.

#38 5 years ago

The Flintstones. Fun layout, have to hit all the shots on the playfield. Bowling combo shot mini game is fun. A different theme, and this would've been a classic.

#39 5 years ago

Also: Apollo 13. Granted it's a gimmick, but it's fun. And I like how the typical SEGA rules that automatically light the multiball on your 3rd ball just lights the regular multiball, not the 13 ball multi. You gotta earn it. I always put a few games on this whenever I am at the PHOF in Vegas.

#40 5 years ago

Didn't really think I'd enjoy Judge Dredd or HS2: The Getaway as I'm not a big fans of ramps and toys, but after having played both I wouldn't mind adding either one to my collection.

#41 5 years ago

Tomcat: F14

Picked up a beater just to scratch an itch. Really thought it looked one dimensional and kinda boring.

Cleaned up with LEDS and holy cow! Fast with incredible light show!

Sold min but have a funny feeling I'll find another.

#42 5 years ago

Hardbody! I think it was the cheese factor that made me originally look into purchasing one, but keeping the ball under control while collecting the target banks takes quite a bit of skill. I also think it has some cool features including a single inlane/outlane with a player controlled diverter and raising up both ramps to reveal an orbit on the lower playfield.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

The Flintstones. Fun layout, have to hit all the shots on the playfield. Bowling combo shot mini game is fun. A different theme, and this would've been a classic.

Forgot about that one. I saw one at a show without anyone playing it and realized I never played one. I thought I would just play a game or two, get bored, and move on. I ended up playing a bunch of games and loved it. Layout was really fun and really like how the ramps go behind the flippers.

#44 5 years ago

Maiden obviously, when I heard the announcement I said no way, but the layout and rules are fantastic.

#45 5 years ago

Breakshot. Played it in Allentown last year. And had fun playing it.
    Saw one for sale in Allentown this year. Decided to grab it. So glad I did. Super fun, under rated game.

#46 5 years ago

Shrek - I like the music, call outs, mini play field and the code which is very good.
    Avengers LE-Hulk - I like tight shots that the average putz off the street will have difficulty making. Also, the rules are simple enough for a dimwit like me to follow. The cabinet and translite are also really nice looking.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Breakshot. Played it in Allentown last year. And had fun playing it.
    Saw one for sale in Allentown this year. Decided to grab it. So glad I did. Super fun, under rated game.

I love this game and the whole "retro" thing going on. Capcom wanted to do a line of retro inspired pins but they were struggling so it wasn't meant to be. I would love to see a company focus on good classic 80's style designs. The success of TNA proves that people like the concept.

#48 5 years ago

I'd have to agree with NBA Fastbreak and Elvis, and I'll add one more: Rocky and Bullwinkle. I didn't think I'd like it but it's pretty fun, lots of things to shoot at and the shots feel great.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Tomcat: F14
    Picked up a beater just to scratch an itch. Really thought it looked one dimensional and kinda boring.
    Cleaned up with LEDS and holy cow! Fast with incredible light show!
    Sold min but have a funny feeling I'll find another.

I just picked up a tomcat f-14, and I had the same preconceived notion that it may just be one dimensional. Now that I've played a few games on it, I can see why so many people rate it so highly. It's a blast!

#50 5 years ago

NASCAR...i really like this pin....

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-you-thought-you-would-hate-but-loved?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.