Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Becker34
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I just picked up STLE for (second time around) and have to say that the only way I find myself playing is for score. I could give a hang about the missions/modes. I don't care if I'm saving the Enterprise or destroying the drill. I am just thinking about what will this mode mean for me such as double ramps or what it will be worth to me at KM. I don't care about the multi ball modes either just what I am stacking with a mode to get more points.

I'm happy with ST, it's fun but it doesn't move me along to see what is around the corner, or see modes that I've not seen before or have some huge need to make this shot mode. This is because the modes are *ALL THE SAME* hit so many shots complete the mode. There could be one mode that was a hurry up mode (especially with a score count down like in AFM or Jack the monkey shot in Potc) or if there was a frenzy mode. I think there was an opportunity to make the GAT shots interesting in some way but they are not they are imo just if you want to score more points. Almost wish GAT modes were completely different like the timed modes in SM (Bonesaw, Save MJ etc.) at least there would be a reason to play them more.

#2 5 years ago

All my EMs an SS machines. Although I do play Fast Draw sometimes just to get to the bonus drop target stage.

#3 5 years ago

All of my Bingo machines. For Amusement Only. No gambling permitted.

#4 5 years ago

Ummm...all of them.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is because the modes are *ALL THE SAME* hit so many shots complete the mode

Thats like... 90% of mode based games ever made. Here are some lit shots. Shoot them before time runs out.

Don't get me wrong, I wish games in general had more to their modes, but

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Thats like... 90% of mode based games ever made. Here are some lit shots. Shoot them before time runs out.

true but for example IM or SM where there is a specific area (Goblin, Sandman, Venom etc..) at least the modes are somewhat distinctive. DI one mode hit the stand ups one modes have one shot lit at a time, one modes have crazy magnets (you can feel that the modes are not just hit 5-7 lit shots, the modes feel distinct).

However ST modes are more or less equal (points etc.) so there is not big exploit except for the shot multipliers

I feel like Potc has some different feeling modes.

1) hit stand ups
2) hit mixer
3) time point count down
4/5) ship/Kraken
6) pop bumpers
7) chest

I'm not saying PotC is the best mode design but you can see that the modes are varied not just 7 modes that are only hit lit shots

It's true GAT on ST can change the modes so that the top lain or the stand ups are involved but imo would be more distinctive if one mode was just the stand up shots, one mode was just the spinner/warp ramp shots or whatever.

#7 5 years ago

Pretty much all games but do prefer to explore the game, play out modes, and generally try to complete things. ST has a lot of scoring opportunities with the shot multipliers but I never had much fun playing it that way. It just seemed like a ton of work to set up one shot for decent scoring and then a ton of pressure to make that shot when it was worth big points. My best games were always ones where I completed the most modes and got the deepest into the game. In order to beat my high scores or get deeper into the game, it require an epic 20 minute game. That just got tiresome. If modes were made to be quicker to complete with fewer shots, game would of been much better imo. GAT could of been used for that. Then you could decide whether to play out the full mode for more points or take the quick way out to progress faster. It would also be fun if game tracked best points in each of the modes no matter if it was level 1,2, or 3. That way you could play to bet a mode score instead of total points. I have a lot of fun playing MET just to try and beat a CIU score.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ummm...all of them.

Ditto.

#9 5 years ago

I generally play the few DMDs I have like a video game: I'll play the game trying to maximize my potential to getting to the end wizard mode and beating the game. If a game has it, I'll actually try to challenge myself to get the ancillary initials moreso than a high score, like being the waterfall champion in WH2O or Loop Champion in TS.

I do the same for my wedgeheads. I'll try to advance into the rules to light the special, then go for as many as I can, assuming I can even get that far.

The rest of the EMs and other SS games are all play for a high score. Same goes for any game out on location. I'm definitely going for high scores and replays on those games. Gotta maximize those quarters!

#10 5 years ago

Dr. Who
I never play the game for the various modes. I'm always too addicted to shooting for Sonic Booms and big scores.

BOP
Always striving for Billionaire's Club.

#11 5 years ago

Corvette. Beating the cars is an objective, but the points lie in the horsepower and torque jackpots which is why it is a highly rated PAPA tournament game.

#12 5 years ago

Old habits die hard. Unless the points were enough to give a free game I did not care about score.

I sort of play with a stop watch mentality. When I was a kid the dimes and quarters were hard to come by. I was always more interested how much time I could get for my quarters.

I played to light those Specials.

#13 5 years ago

Unless I'm playing in a tournament, whenever I'm dropping money into a game my goals are:

1.) Replay score
2.) Top Scores

Sometimes if I'm playing on free play or have accumulated a pile of credits I might focus on something I'm having difficulty with or just pick something to try to blow up. Or if I've got a bunch of credits on MM I'll go for Barnyard Multiball, which for whatever reason is one of my favorite things in all of pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 24.95
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-you-play-only-for-score- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.