• Krull 0 votes
  • Black Hole 20 votes
    54%

(37 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WWFRR.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm kind of drawn to the idea of games utilizing a window to make a lower play field, but do any of them make good use of it?

Considering I'm relatively new to the pin world, I really never seen this until I got time on an ACDC Premium just a year or two ago. It was only a matter of time, as you could imagine, where I would find a few more titles that use a window. To be honest, I was kind of surprised that it wasn't a new idea my any means...

ACDC, Black Hole, Congo... Are there any others?

What's your favorite?

#2 9 years ago

Haunted House, CFTBL also.

#3 9 years ago

Krull.

LTG : )™

#5 9 years ago

CFTBL doesnt count as a playfield

Does Fan-Tas-Tic count?

Varkon for sure

#6 9 years ago

In Development: TBL

#7 9 years ago

oops

Post edited by pinwiztom: varkon already mentioned

how about Game Plan's loch ness monster

#8 9 years ago

Poll added, and if you'd like to comment on your choice of title, I'd love to hear your opinion. They all seem to be pretty basic, but perhaps one integrates better into a game than others. Let me know your thoughts!

#9 9 years ago

Black Hole. the most challenging multiball in pinball -- both to achieve and to maintain.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Poll added, and if you'd like to comment on your choice of title, I'd love to hear your opinion. They all seem to be pretty basic, but perhaps one integrates better into a game than others. Let me know your thoughts!

You should add Elektra to that poll.

#11 9 years ago

Since I've thought about this topic, I've played a couple "serious" games of Black Hole on the iPad. Where I used to just flail a few balls, I now actually really enjoy the game (after reading the rules). I think this is a great example of a fully utilized lower PF.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#12 9 years ago

I've played the hell out of the iPad version and I own one in real life. nothing against TPA, but the real version is a LOT more challenging.

#13 9 years ago

Added Elektra to Game Linked, but I don't know how to add it to the poll.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Does Fan-Tas-Tic count?

Fan-Tas-Tic.! Its all part of the game, its interactive therefore it should count.! I'd draw more concern to SF-II..! Could that crate of crap even be considered a game..?

#15 9 years ago

CFTBL does not have a lower PF it's a hologram. Cool but not anything like AcDc or Congo.

I voted for AcDc as I'm very impressed with it, Congo just seems dumb to me.

#16 9 years ago

The only one I have owned was a Haunted House. It was okay . . . kinda slow though. Sold it after 6 months.
Mike

#17 9 years ago

Just voted for Black Hole. 'Cause No One Escapes the Black Hole!

There's a window on the playfield of Escape from the Lost World, but it's just a viewing window. It serves no purpose.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I voted for AcDc as I'm very impressed with it, Congo just seems dumb to me.

unfortunately ACDC is a direct ripoff of WWFRR upper pf and not even as good with worse geometry and 1 less shot.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

unfortunately ACDC is a direct ripoff of WWFRR upper pf and not even as good with worse geometry and 1 less shot.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't even know that was a problem. Could you explain why you think being a ripoff as you say is a problem? considering I have never seen WWFRR before, it would seem to me that is not really such a problem, and having PF under the actual playing area is much better than having them take up real estate from the main game don't you think?

#20 9 years ago

lack of ingenutiy is always a problem in my opinion when preference is to either seemlessly integrate the new or improve upon the old.

WWFRR has drops instead of standups, has the dead end lock to the left, better physics and only covers up real eastate that is not needed as the shot entrances are still visible on main pf.

WWFRR.jpgWWFRR.jpg
#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

lack of ingenutiy is always a problem in my opinion when preference is to either seemlessly integrate the new or improve upon the old.
WWFRR has drops instead of standups, has the dead end lock to the left, better physics and only covers up real eastate that is not needed as the shot entrances are still visible on main pf.

That looks cool. I'd like to play WWF.

I never take subtract fun points if something is a copy or rip off. That does not effect my enjoyment. I read some people say Tron is an exact copy of Fun House or has similar shots or layout. However I've played FH and to me it doesn't matter if Tron is a copy or not, they play different have different rules and different art and theme. If FH came first that doesn't effect me in the least. Others it really seems to get under their skin for some reason.

#22 9 years ago

To each there own.

I just really dislike when I see a game where a designer kind of "wasted" space by reusing something with nearly identical layout/geometry as a previous game.

Granted, there are only so many things that can be done inside thelimited footprint but IMHO that is what great designers do.

#23 9 years ago

I see your point, but some people would say Star Wars movie was a copy of Akira Kurosawa's 'Hidden Fortress'

However, you see my point if I don't have access to WWF of if I prefer the modern games or theme more then I don't care where the inspiration or copy came from. I don't count AcDc only because it's lower PF that's just an added bonus. I like the way AcDc lower PF never drains just times out, I like the lighting effect and the callouts in the lower PF.

Not everyone likes the same games as evident by some people who prefer modern Stern and some who don't. But it doesn't bother me if a game borrows a good idea. So The Hobbit will have 'trolls' and XMLE has NC (aka troll like mechanism). But I don't have MM I have XMLE so I enjoy the mechanism on XMLE. Some people don't like that everything is not 100% new but I don't care.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 24.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-with-windowed-lower-play-fields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.