aiq2 (resized).jpg
aiq1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
deliverance (resized).jpg
IMG_20210723_004709 (resized).jpg
709A2F14-5978-4790-8035-2EE551CE1241 (resized).jpeg
Jennika (resized).png
Venus (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aeolus7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I asked my daughter the other day what she thought about getting a Ninja Turtles. Her first & only question was "is there a girl Ninja Turtle!?" After some research I discovered there are (Venus, Jennika, etc), but not in the 1987 show. I tried to sell April as a strong, female character, but admittedly she's not a ninja (or turtle...) and she's not a "playable" character like the 4 turtles.

It was a heartbreaking question, but did make me wonder: what games feature strong female characters? Do any pinball machines have a lead female character that either isn't overly sexualized or someone's bride ?

Jennika (resized).pngJennika (resized).pngVenus (resized).pngVenus (resized).png
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Red is the boss of the construction crew on Red and Ted's Roadshow.

Yes! Good call

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s pretty slim pickings to be honest. I can’t think of one besides Elvira and that one is problematic in your situation for obvious reasons.
I guess maybe the Catwoman version of Batman 66 might work? Problem is she’s pretty much an afterthought beyond the translite.

I was thinking that as well. Love the game, and Catwoman is a great character in the series, but you're right the "heroes" get the spotlight in the game itself.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

[quoted image]

Solid choice. Didn't even think of TNA

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

Good point. My daughters like TMNT, but I see what you mean. My wife would love a Jem and the Holograms theme, for example; she literally cried when she met Jem's original voice actor.

Good to hear your daughters enjoy the game. I do feel April fits the bill, just not the star of the show in this case. It wouldn't be canon, but why not program in a 5th selectable character in Turtles that you could enable or disable in the settings? Jennika seems pretty badass...

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

TNA pretty much fits the bill with your description. While she isn’t featured predominately outside of the backglass, she’s the main character. You play as the female protagonist who travels to the future to save humanity.
Not scantily clad, not overly exaggerated. Just a tough, smart chick.

I love that. I didn't make the story connection before when I played it, but did really enjoy the game.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is 95% of this argument anyway! In pinball you’re not “playing” as anything or anyone, you’re shooting a metal ball at plastic lol. Who has the time to be thinking “does the character representing the metal ballbearing have a peach or an eggplant ?”
City Slicker has a chick mobster on the backglass and giant feature on the playfield and you are playing her robbing a bank and escaping from the cops.
You could also just get custom translites as well if you need a woman on them.

I see your point in some respects, but I like how Ben Heck described themes on one of the podcasts recently (I forget which one) - "wish fulfillment". In other words, you are Batman fighting villains or, in the example you gave, a mobster robbing a bank. If you are not fulfilling a wish or if you cannot connect to the wish, it's just not engaging.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Here are some that come to mind
Charlie's Angels
Dolly Parton
Bride of Pinbot
Black Rose
Wizard of Oz
Stranger Things
Elvira (already mentioned, but times 3)
And if you want to read a thread where this question was recently posed (and not without a little pinside controversy of course):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-talk-female-oriented-themes-in-pinball

Thank you - my apologies for the repeat topic!

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

From the perspective of a lady pinballer that I send this thread to:
“So does he [OP] only play games with a male character on it so he can relate? Otherwise it wouldn't be engaging for him according to his logic“

With respect, this is not quite what I was getting at, I was responding to your statement about how you're "not playing as anyone or anything" in pinball, which I don't feel is accurate, regardless of the age of the pinball machine. Theme is everything IMHO when it comes to getting people interested & engaged in pinball. A good theme makes you feel like the protagonist and it's more immersive. If you are already invested in playing pinball as an experience like you and I, then I agree you may care more about shooting, progressing, scoring, etc. But since you mentioned Early Sterns, how about Meteor? You are coordinating a rocket strike to save the world from extinction-level event. Tell me that isn't wish fulfillment!

As far as why gender depictions matter, we'll probably have to agree to disagree on that.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yes, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, and Captain Marvel are pretty good examples.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Haven't actually played Avengers yet, but looks sweet. Will have to seek one out now. Thanks for the recommendation

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Both Halloween and Ultraman with have them but not the sole theme of the game.

Halloween SE on order

Quoted from manadams:

Is just a female character enough and what specifically must they do to be "strong"?

Good question, I should've clarified. I like Mudflaps description of the TNA protagonist "just a tough, smart chick". I'm no prude, but let's be honest, most women in pinball art are hyper-sexualized and/or objectified. There are some exceptions as mentioned by other posters. Really not intending get on a soapbox or make a big statement here, more wanting to put things in my gameroom when possible that my daughter would be interested in playing. She is interested stories, shows, and games about other kids her age and especially female characters that are like her (curious, tough, smart, kind).

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

while the characters are women, I don't think it fits the spirit of the child's request. Xenon and BoP are sexy robots made to be alluring to a hetereosexual male audience, and I think that's fairly obvious. They were the Woah Nellie of their day, going for that teenage boy titillation.

Agree, that's the conundrum here. I really like BoP as a game, but she's not really an empowering character. For one, she's the "bride" of Pinbot. I get it's a Bride of Frankenstein reference, but it's like calling Catwoman "Batman's girlfriend". Second, you are shooting balls into a sex robot's mouth, so....

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

and who could forget... the king of all feminist pinballs, Woman-Lib[quoted image][quoted image]

Haha. Never seen that game. That's awesome and unexpected!

Quoted from Parkshow30:

Jurassic Park….Remember what doctor Wu said, all the dinosaurs are female…

YES! Genius!

#68 2 years ago

Really appreciate all the thoughtful responses in this thread. My takeaway: there are a lot more options than I thought! Bravo to those who companies who have chosen/highlighted more inclusive themes & characters.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 22.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aeolus7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-with-strong-female-characters?tu=Aeolus7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.