aiq2 (resized).jpg
aiq1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
deliverance (resized).jpg
IMG_20210723_004709 (resized).jpg
709A2F14-5978-4790-8035-2EE551CE1241 (resized).jpeg
Jennika (resized).png
Venus (resized).png
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I asked my daughter the other day what she thought about getting a Ninja Turtles. Her first & only question was "is there a girl Ninja Turtle!?" After some research I discovered there are (Venus, Jennika, etc), but not in the 1987 show. I tried to sell April as a strong, female character, but admittedly she's not a ninja (or turtle...) and she's not a "playable" character like the 4 turtles.

It was a heartbreaking question, but did make me wonder: what games feature strong female characters? Do any pinball machines have a lead female character that either isn't overly sexualized or someone's bride ?

Jennika (resized).pngJennika (resized).pngVenus (resized).pngVenus (resized).png
#2 2 years ago

Red is the boss of the construction crew on Red and Ted's Roadshow.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Red is the boss of the construction crew on Red and Ted's Roadshow.

Yes! Good call

#4 2 years ago

Elvira, Theatre of Magic, Cirques Voltaire might be options.

#5 2 years ago

It’s pretty slim pickings to be honest. I can’t think of one besides Elvira and that one is problematic in your situation for obvious reasons.

I guess maybe the Catwoman version of Batman 66 might work? Problem is she’s pretty much an afterthought beyond the translite.

#6 2 years ago
709A2F14-5978-4790-8035-2EE551CE1241 (resized).jpeg709A2F14-5978-4790-8035-2EE551CE1241 (resized).jpeg
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s pretty slim pickings to be honest. I can’t think of one besides Elvira and that one is problematic in your situation for obvious reasons.
I guess maybe the Catwoman version of Batman 66 might work? Problem is she’s pretty much an afterthought beyond the translite.

I was thinking that as well. Love the game, and Catwoman is a great character in the series, but you're right the "heroes" get the spotlight in the game itself.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

[quoted image]

Solid choice. Didn't even think of TNA

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

[quoted image]

Girl on back glass...check

#9 2 years ago

Good point. My daughters like TMNT, but I see what you mean. My wife would love a Jem and the Holograms theme, for example; she literally cried when she met Jem's original voice actor.

#10 2 years ago

TNA pretty much fits the bill with your description. While she isn’t featured predominately outside of the backglass, she’s the main character. You play as the female protagonist who travels to the future to save humanity.

Not scantily clad, not overly exaggerated. Just a tough, smart chick.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

Good point. My daughters like TMNT, but I see what you mean. My wife would love a Jem and the Holograms theme, for example; she literally cried when she met Jem's original voice actor.

Good to hear your daughters enjoy the game. I do feel April fits the bill, just not the star of the show in this case. It wouldn't be canon, but why not program in a 5th selectable character in Turtles that you could enable or disable in the settings? Jennika seems pretty badass...

#12 2 years ago

Mulitmorphic P3 would seem to have a couple good choices.
Lexy Lightspeed is the featured character on her game, and Heist has a couple female main characters.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

TNA pretty much fits the bill with your description. While she isn’t featured predominately outside of the backglass, she’s the main character. You play as the female protagonist who travels to the future to save humanity.
Not scantily clad, not overly exaggerated. Just a tough, smart chick.

I love that. I didn't make the story connection before when I played it, but did really enjoy the game.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Girl on back glass...check

This is 95% of this argument anyway! In pinball you’re not “playing” as anything or anyone, you’re shooting a metal ball at plastic lol. Who has the time to be thinking “does the character representing the metal ballbearing have a peach or an eggplant ?”

City Slicker has a chick mobster on the backglass and giant feature on the playfield and you are playing her robbing a bank and escaping from the cops.

You could also just get custom translites as well if you need a woman on them.

#15 2 years ago

Whoa Nellie
She's so hot

IMG_20210723_004709 (resized).jpgIMG_20210723_004709 (resized).jpg
#16 2 years ago

Here are some that come to mind
Charlie's Angels
Dolly Parton
Bride of Pinbot
Black Rose
Wizard of Oz
Stranger Things
Elvira (already mentioned, but times 3)

And if you want to read a thread where this question was recently posed (and not without a little pinside controversy of course):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-talk-female-oriented-themes-in-pinball

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is 95% of this argument anyway! In pinball you’re not “playing” as anything or anyone, you’re shooting a metal ball at plastic lol. Who has the time to be thinking “does the character representing the metal ballbearing have a peach or an eggplant ?”
City Slicker has a chick mobster on the backglass and giant feature on the playfield and you are playing her robbing a bank and escaping from the cops.
You could also just get custom translites as well if you need a woman on them.

I see your point in some respects, but I like how Ben Heck described themes on one of the podcasts recently (I forget which one) - "wish fulfillment". In other words, you are Batman fighting villains or, in the example you gave, a mobster robbing a bank. If you are not fulfilling a wish or if you cannot connect to the wish, it's just not engaging.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Here are some that come to mind
Charlie's Angels
Dolly Parton
Bride of Pinbot
Black Rose
Wizard of Oz
Stranger Things
Elvira (already mentioned, but times 3)
And if you want to read a thread where this question was recently posed (and not without a little pinside controversy of course):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-talk-female-oriented-themes-in-pinball

Thank you - my apologies for the repeat topic!

#19 2 years ago

Laser war would be a good one.

#20 2 years ago

All the ladies in Future Spa and Hard Body look pretty strong to me.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

I see your point in some respects, but I like how Ben Heck described themes on one of the podcasts recently (I forget which one) - "wish fulfillment". In other words, you are Batman fighting villains or, in the example you gave, a mobster robbing a bank. If you are not fulfilling a wish or if you cannot connect to the wish, it's just not engaging.

What on earth? So that’s the problem with the latest pinball crowd and why they foam at the mouth with every release...
When I’m playing my Classic Stern’s, early 80s solid states and EMs I’m focusing on really fun shooting layouts and scoring a lot of points, not whatever lame fantasy is thinly laid over the game. Those classic games are far more engaging and fun than the crap that’s shoveled out now. AND they had more women.

Shockingly other woman enjoy seeing beautiful women too and don’t ogle at scantily clad chicks like men seem to think.
If you want that you could go play video games, they have endless female protagonists. They’re also boring and repetitive now. But what you’re saying is why people binge WOW and other MMOs now.

Pinball is player versus the machine and the fun is being better than the layout designed to beat you. The wish-fulfillment thing is strange, where do you find the time when you’re focusing on your shots and not draining?

#22 2 years ago

Baywatch had a lot of strong female characters.
The great thing about pinball is any game your daughter plays SHE can be the strong female character.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Whoa Nellie
She's so hot
[quoted image]

God that game is an embarrasment.

#24 2 years ago

Try Xenon. First pinball to feature female voice.

Cleopatra another option but probably not a theme you’d want to encourage.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Mulitmorphic P3 would seem to have a couple good choices.
Lexy Lightspeed is the featured character on her game, and Heist has a couple female main characters.

Exactly what I was going to post. Plus, you can get BOTH games in the same cabinet for only slightly more than a NIB game. Heist is absolutely up to par with latest Stern games; understandable rules, multiple strategies, a whole bunch of multiballs. I will say though that is it HARD. Definitely change settings to make things easier.

#26 2 years ago

Xenon and The Machine Bride of Pinbot. Of later games, maybe Monster Bash?

#27 2 years ago

Someone beat me to it.
But Black Rose....Her Strong Call outs, Female in charge attitude.

#28 2 years ago

Avengers has multiple lead female heroes and villains.

#29 2 years ago

Avengers! Black Widow is an awesome, strong character in both games, and AIQ also adds the crazy powerful Captain Marvel (probably the most powerful of all the heroes honestly) and Wasp, who awards your extra ball.

Stranger Things heavily features Eleven, who is another very powerful female character, and I am guessing closer to your daughter's age bracket, so more relatable.

While I see the disappointment that April isn't a playable character in TMNT, you can point out that she is a VERY powerful ally in the game. She awards big points in her hurry-ups, but more importantly literally saves your turtle with her ball saves!

Added over 3 years ago:

edit: Gah! Can't believe I forgot about Wanda in AIQ! I wish she had a bigger role, but Scarlet Witch is definitely there, and she's one of the few characters that might give Cap Marvel a run for her money as strongest character!

Also GOTG has some badass women in Gamora and Nebula. Marvel has really embraced empowering women in the MCU. Some may think it's over the top, but I think it's awesome and well done.

I wish we could get a Wonder Woman machine!

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

God that game is an embarrasment.

Yeah , but not the back glass

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Yeah , but not the back glass

I think he means ESPECIALLY the backglass. It’s tongue-in-cheek but definitely hasn’t aged well... in fact I don’t think it ever went over well from the start.
They dedicated a ton of money to a boobie joke

#32 2 years ago

Pinball Magic

#33 2 years ago

X-Men is another with strong female characters! 3 of the 8 heroes are women, Storm, Rogue, and Phoenix. And really, they could kick the male heroes butts pretty easily! Lots of cameos from other female X-Men throughout the game too.

Deadpool features two female team-up allys, plus Dazzler being featured in a multiball.

In Star Wars you can choose Princess Leia as your character, with her own scoring advantages.

#34 2 years ago

I'm sorry but the Bride of Pinbot suggestions are just killing me. lol.

#35 2 years ago

I think he means ESPECIALLY the backglass. It’s tongue-in-cheek but definitely hasn’t aged well... in fact I don’t think it ever went over well from the start.
They dedicated a ton of money to a boobie joke

I mean...the DOG wants to fuck her too?

Cute.

#36 2 years ago

Star Wars has Leah as a playable character

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Cute.

Never even noticed that before...
That’s ruff

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

From the perspective of a lady pinballer that I send this thread to:
“So does he [OP] only play games with a male character on it so he can relate? Otherwise it wouldn't be engaging for him according to his logic“

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Cute.

How about the creepy Deliverance guys?

deliverance (resized).jpgdeliverance (resized).jpg
#40 2 years ago

How about Barbwire

#41 2 years ago

From the perspective of a lady pinballer that I send this thread to:
“So does he [OP] only play games with a male character on it so he can relate? Otherwise it wouldn't be engaging for him according to his logic“

With respect, this is not quite what I was getting at, I was responding to your statement about how you're "not playing as anyone or anything" in pinball, which I don't feel is accurate, regardless of the age of the pinball machine. Theme is everything IMHO when it comes to getting people interested & engaged in pinball. A good theme makes you feel like the protagonist and it's more immersive. If you are already invested in playing pinball as an experience like you and I, then I agree you may care more about shooting, progressing, scoring, etc. But since you mentioned Early Sterns, how about Meteor? You are coordinating a rocket strike to save the world from extinction-level event. Tell me that isn't wish fulfillment!

As far as why gender depictions matter, we'll probably have to agree to disagree on that.

#42 2 years ago

The new Heavy Metal game probably has THE strongest female of all time.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Avengers has multiple lead female heroes and villains.

Yes, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, and Captain Marvel are pretty good examples.
aiq1 (resized).jpgaiq1 (resized).jpgaiq2 (resized).jpgaiq2 (resized).jpg

#44 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#45 2 years ago

M-A-N-D-A-L-O-R-I-A-N CARA DUNE FOR THE WIN!

.....oh wait, what?

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yes, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, and Captain Marvel are pretty good examples.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Haven't actually played Avengers yet, but looks sweet. Will have to seek one out now. Thanks for the recommendation

#47 2 years ago

Is just a female character enough and what specifically must they do to be "strong"?

#48 2 years ago

Both Halloween and Ultraman with have them but not the sole theme of the game.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Both Halloween and Ultraman with have them but not the sole theme of the game.

Halloween SE on order

Quoted from manadams:

Is just a female character enough and what specifically must they do to be "strong"?

Good question, I should've clarified. I like Mudflaps description of the TNA protagonist "just a tough, smart chick". I'm no prude, but let's be honest, most women in pinball art are hyper-sexualized and/or objectified. There are some exceptions as mentioned by other posters. Really not intending get on a soapbox or make a big statement here, more wanting to put things in my gameroom when possible that my daughter would be interested in playing. She is interested stories, shows, and games about other kids her age and especially female characters that are like her (curious, tough, smart, kind).

#50 2 years ago

Oktoberfest has Inga and Otto. Inga is featured in many of the modes and callouts. It's a really fun game and theme. BTW, although there's plenty of beer drinking in it, there's also plenty of other carnival/circus elements too.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 7,999.00
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-with-strong-female-characters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.