games with pauses similar to TZ

By gandamack

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I recently played Iron Maiden's Legacy of the Beast Pro and although I thought it was a great pinball machine, I did not like the fact that it does not really allow the player to take the time to watch the video screen because they must constantly be heads-down watching the ball. I thought TZ did a great job allowing the player to look up once in awhile to watch the screen.
Are there any other games that have the longer pauses in play similar to Twilight Zone?

#2 5 years ago

All the MET multiballs and CIU modes have pretty good pauses that let you watch the animations. Some people complain the Sparky one is too long, but I never get tired of it and appreciate the break in the action.

#3 5 years ago

I find myself trying to skip the mode start animations on iron maiden

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from gandamack:

I recently played Iron Maiden's Legacy of the Beast Pro and although I thought it was a great pinball machine, I did not like the fact that it does not really allow the player to take the time to watch the video screen because they must constantly be heads-down watching the ball. I thought TZ did a great job allowing the player to look up once in awhile to watch the screen.
Are there any other games that have the longer pauses in play similar to Twilight Zone?

I believe what you’re referring to is what we call ‘stop n go’ style pinball. Pat Lawlor (designer of TZ) is notorious for some of the best stop n go play. TZ, TAF, Roadshow, RBION, and even DI to an extent. IMDN actually has a lot of moments to view the display especially if the auto plunge works. However, the latest IMDN code sped up some of this stop n go because people complained about long games, so now during cool sequences (i.e. Aces High, we don’t get to appreciate some of its fanfare). That said, looking at the display during gameplay is an art, and eventually if you do master the art, you will come to prefer more flow games where you can track both the ball and display rather than the stop n go style.

#7 5 years ago

Frank multiball on Monster Bash is a nice pause with great animation, especially on the remake with the new screen.

#8 5 years ago

TAF - "ITS SHOWTIME!!"

Hobbit and WOZ are pretty good with this too

#9 5 years ago

Williams Indiana Jones. You play lots of video modes there.

#10 5 years ago

Lord of the Rings. Each multiball and mode start lets you watch the DMD for a few seconds before it puts any balls back in play.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

All the MET multiballs and CIU modes have pretty good pauses that let you watch the animations. Some people complain the Sparky one is too long, but I never get tired of it and appreciate the break in the action.

On the Sparky animation...it never gets old....and if playing with someone new, its usually good for a laugh...or a creepy glare. The break from CIU is nice to set down your axe and take a breath....then its go time!

#12 5 years ago

Demolition man paused before Multiball, computer award, claw awards(sometimes), and of course...DEMOLITION TIME!!!

#13 5 years ago

I'd have to say SafeCracker wins this race......

#14 5 years ago

Ghostbusters would have to be toward the top when it comes to pauses for DMD animations.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

I'd have to say SafeCracker wins this race......

Only problem is, it's not a pinball, it's a "timed video game with pinball elements". Like Baby pac-man, Granny and the Gators, or Caveman.

#16 5 years ago

EATPM right before multiball.
Whirlwind right before multiball
medieval madness every time you destroy the castle.

1 week later
#17 5 years ago

WPT has lots of pauses, that's why I chose it to break the GWR on

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

WPT has lots of pauses, that's why I chose it to break the GWR on

One neat thing about WPT is you can actually disable the pop up posts which stop the ball, so you could do that if you don’t like the pauses.

#19 5 years ago

"Look Up....Stop the Spider"

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Only problem is, it's not a pinball, it's a "timed video game with pinball elements". Like Baby pac-man, Granny and the Gators, or Caveman.

It’s a timed pinball machine..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 132.00
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 14.95
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-with-pauses-similar-to-tz?hl=loganjk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.