Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by tullster
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 months ago

Which games have lasted the longest in your collection? Why do you think they have lasted so long?

#2 5 months ago

All of em. Haven't sold one yet

Whirlwind - bought around 2013. Will never leave. First pin, and the theme that got me hooked along with TAF as a kid.
    MET pro - bought around 2015. May leave but hasn't. Great game.
    Ripleys - bought around 2021. May leave but hasn't. A lot in that game for a reasonable price, and I bought one in damn near mint shape with no fade of pf wear from cointaker.
    JP Prem - bought 2022? Probably will never leave. Fiance loves dinosaurs. Deep game. Fun to play

I intentionally try to buy "keepers". I hate moving them. Too heavy. I aim for games / themes i want, and want to keep. I dont buy as an "investment" and i dont LE flip.

#3 5 months ago

White Water and Shadow for me as I have owned several different ones of each over the years and keep bringing them back home

#4 5 months ago

Buy what you personally love.

You'll end up with a collection you'll want to keep forever.

I can't speak about what makes you personally happy.

I can tell you that many of the top rated pinballs will make people who visit your pinballs very happy, and a lot of people have some machines just because the grandkids love it, or the guests always are having a good time.

What you love, is what you love. Do more of that, and you'll end up with a collection of machines you'll treasure forever.

I like the Twilight Zone. It has this flow of the shots that is tremendously satisfying. Even when I'm playing enough pinball to be able to make any shot at will, I find the game satisfying to play. I just feel like I'm in good hands, like the designer made the playfield layout to make every shot perfect. When you find a machine that plays like that for you, where everything just seems perfect. That's love, and that'll be a keeper.

#5 5 months ago

The last machine we would let go is James Bond 007. It's such a smooth shooter. Has a great PF layout with some very satisfying shots and combos. But also has a ton of modes, a deep ruleset and probably the most video content of any game ever made (six Connery Bond films). The code is at .99 right now, and we anticipate some good stuff with the 1.0 update and beyond.

It doesn't give me the rush that our AIQ premium does. Nor all the funny campiness of our Zilla premium. Nor the humor of Monster Bash and Simpsons Pinball Party, all games we love and want to keep. But Bond has a bit of everything. It recently cracked the pinside Top 20 despite bad reviews when it's code sucked at launch, but should be a top 10 game.

#6 5 months ago

Star Trek the next generation... almost 5 years now... I've rotated 70 games through my basement in 5 years, no more than 6 at a time and STTNG has lasted the longest for me. First, its the perfect theme for me. Love it and the theme integration. Second, its the perfect level of difficulty and has many different ways to play it. Warp 9.9 is hard to get to. Its hard to complete all of the modes. Its hard to get a high score. I just like everything about it, and it will be the last pin in my collection to leave.

#7 5 months ago

DE TMNT - first game and has nostalgic memories for me playing in arcades. Will never leave because of that and I enjoy playing it. Getting that 10 million point shot is really satisfying and I love the start of the multiball.
    MMr - Relatively easy and approachable game for people of all skill levels and IMO, the perfect theme. As I have improved it does lose its luster, but everyone plays it. Could leave depending on future game releases.
    Shrek - This game is hilarious and I love the mini playfield. When setup to be a but harder, this game still challenges me and might never leave.
    Jungle Queen - although its been a PITA since I got it, I love the art and cadence of the chimes. Its got that one more game feel and will never leave.
    Stern TMNT - Brutal game with short ball times but has that one more game feel. When you have a good game it really feels great and as a fan of the IP, it will likely never leave.
    Dr Who - I bought this for my GF and she is the boss on if it leaves or not. Its a fun game but for me it does get repetitive.

I have a woodrail and 30’s marble game that I mostly keep as decoration and a WMS 70’s OXO that I will be looking to sell soon to make room for a new game. Its fun and if I had room would keep it, but alas space is not infinite.

#8 5 months ago

I have only bought games I know I like. Hard to get rid of anything.

#10 5 months ago

I've bought and sold over 50 pins. I don't normally keep anything for more than a year or two, so anything that's stayed in my collection has longevity, and that's only one game: The Big Lebowski

It's been almost 3 years and my interest in it has not fleeted one bit. 6 rug modes, 3 car modes, a plethora of multiballs and ways to play them, plus it has a bowling alley! I mean, come on that's awesome. This is one game I'm probably never going to sell, and maybe the only game in my lifetime. Everything else I can see myself selling at some point.

#11 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

I like the Twilight Zone. It has this flow of the shots that is tremendously satisfying. Even when I'm playing enough pinball to be able to make any shot at will, I find the game satisfying to play. I just feel like I'm in good hands, like the designer made the playfield layout to make every shot perfect. When you find a machine that plays like that for you, where everything just seems perfect. That's love, and that'll be a keeper.

If we were to poll all pinsiders, TZ is probably the winner. It's the game more pinsiders own than any other. Anecdotally, the guy who got me into pinball bought an NIB TZ years ago. It was his first pin and he still has it. TZ is an amazing game.

#12 5 months ago

BSD has had a lot more longevity than I thought, as have a vast majority of my EMs. Something about games that have short ball times, easy to understand rules, but near impossible to master techniques to be successful are the games I find myself playing and hanging onto the most.

#13 5 months ago

Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones The Pinball Adventure and Star Trek The Next Generation. Beside all being wide bodies, they all are very challenging and keep me coming back for more and more. '93 was a very magical year.

#14 5 months ago

spiderman, ij, congo

#15 5 months ago

For me the 90s classics have stayed longest. Funhouse over 20 years, TAF over 10, TZ I had about 10 years before selling. Also TSPP have had about 10 years now.

#16 5 months ago

Sttng as someone already said and met premium . 2 of the best pins to shoot , play and be coded so well that it never gets old

#17 5 months ago

I'm with TommyP. Never actually managed to sell one yet, just bought more. Have eighteen now, but do have a soft spot for the first one I bought, which is Johnny Mnemonic. It's a lightning fast game on the circuits - never encounter another game that quick, plus looks great and is good fun. I'm hardly a tournament quality player, just bumble along, but have fun. So suits me a treat. As mentioned though, I do have a TZ and do love it to bits.

#18 5 months ago

MET Pro

Just ticks all the boxes for me (shots, code, art, toys)...and I wasn't even a Metallica fan when I got it.

#19 5 months ago

The 90s B/W games have stayed the longest - they're also some of the first ones I bought way back at the turn of the century.
    Still have my first game, KISS.

I just still enjoy playing them. Have owned about 50 - 60 games so far.

#20 5 months ago

I have yet to sell a machine that I purchased. My first one will be a comet, only because I bought two at once.

#21 5 months ago

AFM lasted 20 years. Left recently
    LOTR 20 years and still going
    HS 20 years and still going
    WW 15 years and still going

#22 5 months ago

MET and AC/DC Iv'e held onto. I love music pins..... Met because I don't get tired of it, ACDC because of the difficulty and the Kick ass tunes you never get tired of

#23 5 months ago

Haven’t sold one yet. Gave one to my brother for his 50th b-day. It’s hard to part ways with pins you spent so much time perfecting. Plus I only buy pins I don’t plan on selling. And I’m out of room so glad there’s nothing new I like

#24 5 months ago

Big Daddy as it sits in a special place and it's not going anywhere.

Then Pit Stop as it is one of the most beloved machines I have ever owned.

Several of the DMD games I used to own early on have returned though.

#25 5 months ago

In my collection games last a long time. In my position it is the games I have sold and then rebought.

Those would be Attack from Mars and LOTR. Never selling either ever again.

Sounds strange but sold a DESW and will get another one within a year and have it sent to HEP. (This one is more a nostalgia play)

#26 5 months ago

My Scared Stiff will be the last to go. I know all the callouts and I still laugh every time I play it.

#28 5 months ago

I'm back down to 2 pins, Met and GOT, both bought in 2017. Met will probably outlast GOT but who knows.

#29 5 months ago

Small collection owner here. Have between 1-5 pins at any given time. So from most recent owned games to last owned:

• GNRLE (3+ years and still going):
    sound package, variety, lots to do, immersive.

• Deadpool (2 years):
    Pure fun, unique layout, call outs, music, rules package that ties it all together.

• IMDN (2.5 years - owned it twice):
    Awesome integration, layout, and ruleset

• Star Wars (2 years):
    Rules/Strategy type game. Dwight - the prince of breadth on rules. Plus fast + brutal

• Game of Thrones pro (2 years, and currently 7-8 months with the LE):
    Rules/Strategy type game. Dwight - the prince of breadth on rules.

• Stern Star Trek (2 years):
    Warp ramp + flow + theme

• Family Guy (4-5 years):
    It was the 2nd pin I ever owned. Layout, rules, theme integration

LOTR (7-8 years):
    1st pin I ever owned. Theme integration, rules, sound package.

What I’ve learned in my near 20 years in the hobby as a small collector:
    I started off enjoying longer playing games with stop+go moments. Over time that shifted to wanting fast, flow, give me the ball now type games with scoring and rules moments.

#30 5 months ago

The common repsonse would appear to be theme, integration and a pin that presents a challenge.

The rest is up to you.

Learning how to sell a pin you've owned is part of the 12 Step Program. Some of us have managed to do so

#31 5 months ago

Simpsons Pinball Party is my longest survivor. Only recently dethroned as my fave pin by Scooby. So yeah, gotta be the convergence of theme plus ruleset. Either by itself just doesn’t last.

#32 5 months ago

I'll probably sell WH2O and CP at some point, but that's more due to their cost. I really love WCS and NGG though, and don't plan to sell those.

#33 5 months ago

Let me start with IMVE.NIB I think Iv'e owned it 9 years. Great game this game is my son's favorite and the grandkids love it.

However the pins I can't see selling ever all bought NIB
    Woz
    Hobbit
    Dialed In
    SMVE
    AFMr Se

#34 5 months ago

Deadpool and Flight 2000 never get old to me.

I've gravitated towards early SS games more over the years. The shorter ball times and simple but difficult to acheive rule sequences make for a good replay value. Multi ball on f2k or triggering blackout are always fun.

#35 5 months ago

Road Show. A game I played alot when it came out then years later one of my really great customers sold it to me for an awesome deal. R.I.P. Chuck

#36 5 months ago

Big Game by far. Because it’s the greatest game ever made.

#37 5 months ago
    Quoted from ZombiePartie:

Which games have lasted the longest in your collection? Why do you think they have lasted so long?

Ripley's Believe It Or Not at 15 years. It has outlasted ~30 other games of all manufacturers. It has lasted for me because to me it has everything. 3 flippers, 6 pop bumpers, 2 magnets, vari-target, upper playfield and more. It's super challenging with a a variety of unique shots and I love the license. Even still, it would be one of the last to leave.

#38 5 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

BSD has had a lot more longevity than I thought, as have a vast majority of my EMs. Something about games that have short ball times, easy to understand rules, but near impossible to master techniques to be successful are the games I find myself playing and hanging onto the most.

I’ve owned my BSD for almost 28 years!

#39 5 months ago

It isn’t the first pin I ever got, but I’ve had Jet Spin the longest. And Hot Tip EM would be the last to go. Both have a lot of good shots. Hot Tip is the only EM with drop targets, spinner, and captive ball in the same machine, and is a blast to play. Jet Spin has a cool layout, my favorite use of the vari-target, and shot options/results that make me feel in control. I don’t get tired of either pin.

#40 5 months ago

Had a Judge Dredd and Tales from the Crypt for 15 years before I started rotating and buying/selling in 2014. In my current collection, the longest-living is Deadpool (Pro) since 2019.

#41 5 months ago

Pinbot.
    I'll probably never sell it.

#42 5 months ago

Oldest game in my current collection is TAFG at 22 years now. Probably one of the last to leave as well.

#43 5 months ago

Luckily I have enough space for a large collection, so I have games I consider keepers that will never leave and plenty of others I can rotate in and out. My favorite games that would never leave include:

Amazing Spider-Man
    Sharkey's Shootout
    Mustang Pro
    AC/DC Premium
    World Poker Tour
    Bad Girls
    World Cup Soccer

#44 5 months ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Luckily I have enough space for a large collection, so I have games I consider keepers that will never leave and plenty of others I can rotate in and out. My favorite games that would never leave include:
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Sharkey's Shootout
    Mustang Pro
    AC/DC Premium
    World Poker Tour
    Bad Girls
    World Cup Soccer

The first 2 are legit the first two games I ever owned.

#45 5 months ago

GB was first and it was a gift to my wife so it’s not going anywhere.

Surprisingly to me, T2 has been around 2nd longest and seen many others come and go.

#46 5 months ago

Xenon. Been in my basement for 23 years. Different PF, different cabinet, NOS BG. I was a game I fell in love with in the arcade and one of these days it will go.

#47 5 months ago

There’s a difference between “longevity” in the fact it’s a great game, and a game you can’t mentally sell because of sentimental value.

I have a game that’s sentimental to me and I’d like to consider it bolted to the floor. However, when I think of the games I’ve owned the longest, and the ones I wish I could have back (even in its less-than-ideal condition) it would be SM hands down.

#49 5 months ago

3 yrs in the hobby, I've owned 10 pins so far, sold 5. I usually have 4-5 at a given time. I like to rotate machines out after a year or 2 and bring in fresh blood...I want to try them all! So I don't know if I'll ever have any bolted to the floor. But the machine I've owned the longest is Judge dredd, 3yrs and counting. I find it just ok, but It's my wife's favorite so it stays. Otherwise I would have sold it long ago.

#50 5 months ago

TAF & Gorgar

They both bring back great memories of specific times in my life.

Gorgar reminds me of Uncle Stanleys Arcade that was one my favorites of the several Arcades in the area.

I remember TAF when it arrived at my favorite watering hole. High Speed, Pinbot, etc were really cool, but TAF was extra special.

I've had both for 20+ years, and both are permanent residents of my collection.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.