received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
ACA96A98-281F-497A-BF67-5EB6D76F9BE2 (resized).jpeg
goodfellas-henry-hill.gif
demo (resized).JPG
Circus (resized).png
20190927_111521 (resized).jpg
game blouses.gif
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 5 years ago

Independence Day is always a favorite and a game I won't let leave. The combos you can hit on those ramps and getting into red alert is always satisfying. Great table for beginners and ID4 fans.

#52 5 years ago
#53 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You mean the actual action figures in the game? Does it have anything special other than the worst upper PF in history?
Drop target, captive ball....upper PF....? Wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something EDIT: Oh lifting ramp?

Moving Starscream, "morphing Megatron" as well.

#54 5 years ago

Monopoly seems to get very little love from us here on Pinside but it is one of the most go to games in my collection that non- pinball playing friends go to when we have guest over. Very fun and unique game IMO.

#55 5 years ago

Wheel of Fortune doesn't get the love it deserves, one of the last sterns that don't have a color DMD and it would be awesome with one, there is one fairly cloe to me on location and I keep wanting to save up the money and make they guy an offer since I enjoy the machine so much

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from dondon4720:

Wheel of Fortune doesn't get the love it deserves, one of the last sterns that don't have a color DMD and it would be awesome with one, there is one fairly cloe to me on location and I keep wanting to save up the money and make they guy an offer since I enjoy the machine so much

It's gained a reputation for being incomplete. I never noticed. I think it's one of the coolest games of the generation because of the unique bottom alone, and the quirky theme just adds to it.

#57 5 years ago

Not trying to hijack your thread, but since I’m in antithesis kinda mood, I think T2 is pure shit! Terrible flow. Poor rule set. It was totally rushed for a movie premier. Though somehow it was always a strong route game. Earned well.

For Gottlieb’s, Class of 1812, Surfin Safari and Tee’d Off we’re all very fun games.

I think Bally Harley Davidson plays extremely well and while its simple, always seems to be challenging and entertaining simultaneously. I play 5-10 games every time I collect that location.

#58 5 years ago

So laugh all you want, but adding a South Park to my lineup...gets busted on heavily on here, but apparently still raking in quarters on routes, and my Son is stoked (completes my cartoon trifecta....) actually excited to get a nice one in the house....

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

It's gained a reputation for being incomplete. I never noticed. I think it's one of the coolest games of the generation because of the unique bottom alone, and the quirky theme just adds to it.

and it's weird because I almost never see them for sale either, Shrek is up there for me too, did they just not make a bunch of Wheel of Fortunes??

#60 5 years ago

Tough one here, I've literally owned every single 80's and 90's Williams, most de games a lot of ss Gottlieb, a lot of segas and basically no new sterns after pirates and no jersey jacks. My pick would easily be rocky and bullwinkle and past pick would have been bram stokers Dracula, but those have been going up!

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Not trying to hijack your thread, but since I’m in antithesis kinda mood, I think T2 is pure shit! Terrible flow. Poor rule set. It was totally rushed for a movie premier. Though somehow it was always a strong route game. Earned well.

Completely the opposite for me. Flow is great. I've been playing it since it came out and never tire of it.

For me, what you said is Addams Family.

#62 5 years ago

Gottlieb Bad Girls. It's really a fun game. Billiards games are popular (EBD and so..) so should this one be.
I like the electronic music (sounds similar to a Michael Jackson song, don't remember which one).

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Torpedo Alley is one.

This. I mean I'm hardly an expert, but I don't understand the disdain this game gets. It's almost a System 11 (DE clone of such) and ought to be considered an honorary member. 2 different multiballs (with KLAXON!), blazing speed, risk/reward shots, loops, ramps, and a killer soundtrack with fun callouts. And if you're beyond "simpler era" gameplay, its difficulty can really be cranked up in game settings too.

Ya'll want your damn JAWS game? This one pumps the coda in bass every time you hit an inlane, what more do you need

Of all the games in my collection, and others I've played... TA is the one that never fails to make me grin even when I choke. It just has an unabashed, almost Medieval-Madness style of humor about it. It's a consistent favorite of my kids and their friends as well as adult guests. Most recently I was at local location with 60 pins during a slow time and while all the new sterns were mostly unplayed, their TA had a consistent crowd. It's just cheezy silly "System 11-style" pinball fun that deserves more respect. If it wasn't so rare and I had the ability, I'd retheme it as "Down Periscope", maybe that would help.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

This. I mean I'm hardly an expert, but I don't understand the disdain this game gets. It's almost a System 11...

That might in fact be part of it....the other being low production run and I don;t think a ton of people have played it.
I never hear it get shit, but I never really hear anything aboot it. 99% of the time I'll take DE alpha's over their DMDs.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from dondon4720:

and it's weird because I almost never see them for sale either, Shrek is up there for me too, did they just not make a bunch of Wheel of Fortunes??

I've had about 5-6 local collectors' offer to put dibs on my WOF if I were to ever sell it. It's unique, challenging, and too fun of a game that I can't see myself selling it... especially for the low prices they tend to sell for. It's in B\C WPC level pricing territory and I would much rather have a Wheel! The people that complain about unfinished code don't realize that the code is deeper than all but a handful of games that came before it. It's Keefer! Watch the beginning of the Bowen tutorial where he stacks a mode with 3 different multiballs (Wheel, and 2 trip mb's). The code is incredibly complex. It just lacks polish and a wizard mode that 99% of people wouldn't be able to make it to anyway.

#66 5 years ago

Gottlieb and early Data East games rule. Priced well and a ton of fun with interesting themes. I don’t follow the public opinion of Pinball, I just play it for myself and decide on that

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

Monopoly seems to get very little love from us here on Pinside but it is one of the most go to games in my collection that non- pinball playing friends go to when we have guest over. Very fun and unique game IMO.

I love monopoly, my great uncle has one and it was what sparked my love of pinball in the first place. plus he will never let me live the fact that the first time I hit the wizard mode I blew a fuse on his machine

#68 5 years ago

Williams Jokerz! gets dumped on a lot. Sure it's not Earthshaker or Whirlwind, but is still good. To each their own I suppose............

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You mean the actual action figures in the game? Does it have anything special other than the worst upper PF in history?
Drop target, captive ball....upper PF....? Wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something EDIT: Oh lifting ramp?

I like TFLE. Hard pin. Hitting Optimus in the jewels never gets old. Megatron multiball is good. More entertaining upper pf than Wrestlemania IMO.

#70 5 years ago

Baywatch ! If it wasn’t because of the horrible song that loops with the « I’ll beeeeee there » that sticks in my head for days after I hear it, and the dolphin scream that I could strangle bare hand, I would have one already !

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

More entertaining upper pf than Wrestlemania IMO.

They are similar in that they get really boring quick and people stop playing them out of boredom. TF doesn't have much value though. EDIT: Points/progression wise

#72 5 years ago

Ill chime in one more time for TF. A feature most pins cannot claim: 2 completely different sets of rules to go by - Auto or Decept. Two completely different soundtracks. Two completely different sets of callouts. Two completely different sets of cut scenes/video clips for each faction. Much easier to see this with a ColorDMD.

I know, I know - I'm an owner so naturally there will be bias. That being said, all the toys and features mentioned for this game....hard to say it doesnt have value. Even if I didn't own one, I would stick up for this game.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Ill chime in one more time for TF. A feature most pins cannot claim: 2 completely different sets of rules to go by - Auto or Decept. Two completely different soundtracks. Two completely different sets of callouts. Two completely different sets of cut scenes/video clips for each faction. Much easier to see this with a ColorDMD.
I know, I know - I'm an owner so naturally there will be bias. That being said, all the toys and features mentioned for this game....hard to say it doesnt have value. Even if I didn't own one, I would stick up for this game.

I've only played TF a few times and I really enjoy it, I think the one closest to me is always breaking so I am never able to play it

#74 5 years ago

FWIW- I had over 20 games out on location for almost a year. Many from the 70's and 80's, a mix of Bally and Williams. A few newer ones as well.

My biggest money maker: Space Jam.

#75 5 years ago

NBA Stern, made in dark (cheap) times but this pin is better than its reputation. Liked it. And a true LE.....
Are there more than 5 of this machine in germany? Don´t think so.

#76 5 years ago

Future Spa, Frontier, Laser Cue, Alien Poker

#77 5 years ago

Frankenstein, Starship Troopers, Segas in general

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Frankenstein, Starship Troopers, Segas in general

I think Frankenstein is a great game. To me, there is lots to do on that machine. Always something to shoot for.

#79 5 years ago

If I only had my BSD, which is an intense game, and my Hyperball, the Hyperball would get more use from me.

#80 5 years ago

Spectrum
Catacomb
Future Spa
Stern POTC
T2
JM

#81 5 years ago

Maverick. I didn’t get it at first, but it really has that “one more game” appeal.

#82 5 years ago

Fireball Classic. Everyone praises the EM and curses this SS but its the Family favorite. Yeh, I know, cheap cabinet, no zipper flippers and most backglasses faded. Plus they only made 2000 or so.
A great multiball, sound effects fit and fast as lightening with bonus points that go on forever.

#83 5 years ago

Maybe I have bad taste in games and maybe I don't? These games aren't well regarded but I like them:

I purchased '94 Sega Baywatch in 1996 (with a few cabinet dings).
I purchased '96 Gottlieb Barb Wire used but in great condition in 1997.
I purchased '97 Sega X-Files NIB in 1997 (still have the big box).

Then again, I also have BBB, TZ, CFTBL, IJ, ToM, MB, SS and AFM. And most people seem to like them okay.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Maybe I have bad taste in games and maybe I don't? These games aren't well regarded but I like them:
I purchased '94 Sega Baywatch in 1996 (with a few cabinet dings).
I purchased '96 Gottlieb Barb Wire used but in great condition in 1997.
I purchased '97 Sega X-Files NIB in 1997 (still have the big box).
Then again, I also have BBB, TZ, CFTBL, IJ, ToM, MB, SS and AFM. And most people seem to like them okay.

So you are a fan of Pamela Anderson basically

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I purchased Baywatch in 1996 and Barb Wire in 1997.

Quoted from adol75:

So you are a fan of Pamela Anderson basically.

If that was it I would have already replaced the David Hasselhoff translite with one of the Pamela Anderson alternates available.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

If that was it I would have already replaced the David Hasselhoff translite with one of the Pamela Anderson alternates available.

She is quite "visible" on the Baywatch translite !

#87 5 years ago

Congo, very fun game.
Don't see it around often.

I didn't realize it had more then two video modes until I owned one for a few years.

3 months later
#88 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

So laugh all you want, but adding a South Park to my lineup...gets busted on heavily on here, but apparently still raking in quarters on routes, and my Son is stoked (completes my cartoon trifecta....) actually excited to get a nice one in the house....

I think South Park is one of the most underrated pins out there.

#89 4 years ago

I don’t hear a lot of guys talking up Junkyard around here. I had fun playing one at the VFW show in Michigan; kinda fun hitting the wrecking ball.

#90 4 years ago

Sterns Rolling Stones is awesome and gets no respect. Great layout, theme, and rules that have that Lyman touch.

Helps if you like the stones of course but then who doesn’t? You’d have to be a monster.

Also South Park is awful and in no way underrated. My god it’s bad. One-liners good for a chuckle the first dozen times but that’s it.

That’s the problem with these “what games are underrated?” Threads. Someone invariably suggests truly awful games like South Park or any gottlieb 90s game and then the thread loses all credibility.

#91 4 years ago
#93 4 years ago

Avengers

#94 4 years ago

I really want a Johnny Mnemonic. It gets enough respect. I just really like the way the game plays.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Pamela Anderson alternates available

Link please Baywatch is an excellent game imo... had it set up for ages and struggled to get to the end... the sound clips give it a 'refreshing' feel... video mode is a bit crap though...

#96 4 years ago

I'll add Gottlieb victory. Love the sega genesis-like music. It makes use of the entire playfield and has a good challenge. I can get through a race a decent amount but then I'll get 100k on the next game. The real challenge isn't just making the shots. It's making them as fast as possible so you get the most points. Most people don't play it when they come over and that's partly due to the theme I think. If they do play it, it's not for long. It has short punishing shots and not a lot of score if you don't advance through the race. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth keeping around when I haven't played it for awhile but because it's less common and the fact it always sucks me back in, it stays.

#97 4 years ago

I'm a sucker for Wipeout.

#98 4 years ago

Any bingo.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sterns Rolling Stones is awesome and gets no respect. Great layout, theme, and rules that have that Lyman touch.
Helps if you like the stones of course but then who doesn’t? You’d have to be a monster.
Also South Park is awful and in no way underrated. My god it’s bad. One-liners good for a chuckle the first dozen times but that’s it.
That’s the problem with these “what games are underrated?” Threads. Someone invariably suggests truly awful games like South Park or any gottlieb 90s game and then the thread loses all credibility.

Meh...I enjoy SP, and dislike Rolling Stones (pin, that is)...granted, these threads are like most when it comes down to it...One man's trash, another's treasure...

#100 4 years ago

Austin Powers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-tht-really-are-awesome-but-get-little-respect/page/2?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.